Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD?

What! You guys got anasthetic? Man I missed out!! LOL

Ahh, don't get excited, it was only on the cervix. Or so I believe, I wasn't actually 'watching' him!

Cathy, great name for your little girl!!

I went thru the Marie Stopes clinic and they also put in a local.... Boy did that sting!

didn't hurt at all removing it.... But I too had the constant cramping and irregular bleeding (every 2wks for approx 10days)... Ob at their clinic said it just didn't agree with me, however he never checked position of it....

Ghada Guest

Hi Girls,

I havent been in here for a while also, but thought id give a little update since this thread has been re-hashed

I still have the mirena in, though for the last 6/7weeks or so (after a really long time with no AF) Ive been experiencing irregular spotting here and there. About 5 days will pass with the normal heavy discharge (sorry TMI!!!) and then about 2 days of spotting in addition to strong cramps.

At first i thought it was unusual as it happened all-of-a-sudden, but now this has been happening for a while, im not sure if this is normal??? Probably a good idea if i head off to the docs for a checkup i guess.

I really dont know what alternative contraception method would be best in my situation...and yes i completely agree with the "accidental" ttc being a problem...its way too tempting - so condoms are probably out. I cant really risk getting preg again right now as im going back to uni fulltime for 3 more years (yayy me...i got into b.midwifery sorry just had to let that out, im so excited!!!) ahhhh...to think ive been tossing and turning over this for over 6 months...lol.

Re: insertion of the mirena, i too had a local anaesthetic injected in the cervix prior. Yup that stings alright! But i guess the pain during insertion wasnt as bad as some of you that didnt have the injection have described. When i had the mirena removed before falling preg with DS2, like many have already mentioned it didnt hurt a bit for me at all.

Goodluck with your choices everyone, hopefully ill be back with a good update

Congratulations on getting into midwifery Ghada!! You will certainly have your hands full for the next few years but what a great career path to choose!

I'm glad i saw this thread before i posted and asked about it all.
    My doctor last week said that i can have it put in but at the time i wasn't sure as it's not something that i had thought about.
    After reading all this i think i will give it a miss and stick to taking the pill as i know i can do that okay.

mommy of 3 Guest

Default should i or shouldn't i??

Hi ladies... thank you for your information... i am new here and
    I've read all of your posts and i still can't decide... my doc. didn't tell me any of the side effects that you girls are mentioning... but i've seen the same comments on other sites. low libido, mood changes, weight gain, etc.. My problem is not with contraception as many of you are dealing with... i have had my tubes tied. but i am considering mirena because i have very heavy periods even while using a strong bcp and if i don't take it at exactly the same time every day i will spot for 1-3 days after. my doc. acted like this was the miracle that i needed, but after researching it i'm not so sure... taking the pill and having heavy periods and spotting when i forget seems better than having this iud inserted and having the problems that i've heard about... what would you do... would you get it again, knowing what you know , or would you stay away from it ??? I am so confused... i am sick of the heavy periods(7-10days, sometimes not being able to leave the house for 2 days) and i'm sick of the spotting, but what's worse?? UGH!!! I AM SO CONFUSED!!! any information that you may have or advise would be greatly appreciated. thank you ~tara (mommy of 3)

mommy of 3 Guest

Default Thanks Theresa

Thank you for your advise. it's just so frustrating... i feel soo broken. my husband and i were planning a weekend get away and i was 20 minutes late taking my bcp and i spotted all weekend... valentines day was the same. and who wants to do anything fun with that going on UGH! It wasn't even like i missed the whole dose.. it was just 20 minutes late. but it's starting to sound like the bleeding is worse for some with the mirena. I don't know. if anyone else has any advise I'd love to hear it. thanks again ~tara

Hi Tara

Hope you get some relief from your probs. You can always try having the Mirena inserted and if it doesn't work it's easy enough to have taken out. (My gyn/ob said my GP can take it out if I want to). For me, it's completely stopped my period, no bleeding at all after the first month of having it in. But then, my period would also stop after taking the pill for long enough, so I might not be the best guage on this one.

I've had no complications at all, and I know there are others who are like me. Like I said, you don't really have anything to lose, as long as the gyn uses a local anaesthetic it's only a little uncomfortable having it inserted (but from the sounds of it, nowhere near as bad as your period pain has been!) and it's a bit crampy for a couple of days. You can always have it taken out if it doesn't work!

pholmes Guest

Hi,

I am thinking about having an iud put in after this baby. I have read this thread and can see that it doesnt necessarily agree with everyone. My husband says he cant live with me when I am on the pill and anything that you can use while breastfeeding is progesterone only. I cant take the mini pill because I have constant break through bleeding and the mood swings are so bad I notice it and just cant do anything about it. I am assuming an implanon or depo provera injections would have the same results as they too are progesterone only so I am considering an iud. I dont want to have my tubes done or get dh to have the snip as we will most likely try for another one in a couple of years. Does anyone know how the progesterone in the mirena works? Would it have the same effect as the mini pill? How common and sucessful are iuds without any progesterone? If anyone knows the answers to these questions or opinions I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Peta

I think you'd be best off asking your ob exactly how the progesterone works in the IUS. From what I remember being told, it's more of a local effect than what you would get with the pill, so the dose is much lower (which is one reason it's okay to have while bf). I am going back to my ob/gyn in the next few weeks so I might remember to ask!

Ghada Guest

Hey all, Well after all that time wondering and considering my options, the mirena decided to "fall out" ... lol! Very weird considering ive had it in for about 1 year...so now weve had our contraception issues sorted out for us without even having to do anything...its condoms in this household.

How is everyone else faring?

Hi Ghada

Mine is fine still, loving the no period thing. Went to my ob/gyn for a pap smear a couple of months ago and talked about it with him. I'm still ovulating, everything looks good so no changes here. For a while longer yet, anyway!

Default Mirena IUD

Hi I have just had a Mirena put in on Monday and I just wanted to ask how otehrs have found it.

How would you rate it overall?

How long did you spot for?

Did your preiods stop completely and if so when?

Any other side effects?

I dont know if this is in my imagination but I feel like I am going to the loo more (wee) since havign it put in! I feel like Im pg again!!! Does it push on ur bladder or something?

Im also really paraniod about it falling out. I dont want to 'push' in that area and kinda 'hold it in' with my pelvic muscles. Is this crazy!!??

A friend of mine had one in for the whole 5 years.

She had a light regular period the whole time it was in. As far as I know she didn't feel it. You may be having a bit of bloating while you get used to it. I'm sure it has progesterone in it which is the same as implanon and the mini pill.

I've considered getting it also because DH keeps wussing out of getting the snip

Eta I found this on the mirena website:

Side effects with Mirena are most common during the first three months after insertion and decrease over time.

Percentage of Women Reporting Side Effects During the First Three Months and Fifth Year of Use

SIDE EFFECTS AT 3 MONTHS AT 5 YEARS
    Lower abdominal pain (cramping) 10.5% 2.0%
    Acne or other skin problems 3.5% 1.8%
    Back pain 3.1% 1.0%
    Breast tenderness 3.1% 1.0%
    Headache 2.8% 1.6%
    Mood changes 2.5% Less than 1.0%
    So going by those stats hopefully things will settle for you after a couple of months. When I had implanon put in I was convinced I was PG for a couple of weeks!
    Last edited by ~Raven~; July 25th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Cheers for that

I have had one for 5 weeks now. I am really happy with it so far. I too felt the urge to wee a bit more for the first few days, and I was sure I could feel the strings in my cervix, TMI alert - sort of like when a tampon isn't quite in properly. But not anymore. I had AF when it was put in, then had no spotting for 3 days, then daily spotting for 2 weeks, but only really small amounts. Then spotting every second day, only very small amounts and now no spotting. My ob/gyn said that some women bleed every day for the first 6 weeks but that it usually settles after that. I hope you are one who doesn't have much spotting or bleeding. But to my mind I can live with spotting for 6 weeks if I have lighter AF or no AF after that. And as it's the only contraception that is suitable for me while bfing (due to a variety of reasons) so that's a big plus.

There are some other threads around here on this topic if you do a search.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast