Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Mothers Group In Cairns!

Default unsure

That is a bit scary, whats your last name and what skool did you go to RHYB? Might have to keep in touch until i get up there?

Thankyou Tali for your kind words and advice, I just miss him so much when he is gone and cant even call or txt him. I've been away from him for nearly a mth and a half now and it is very hard for me, but I can go up and see him but only once a month. He has been in the navy for 4 years now so I should be used to it but I'm not, it doesn't get easier. Even thinking about it makes me want to cry, I love him so much.

We want to start a family but don't know if it is better to wait (and get married first) as I would be scared (as I don't have kids) that I wouldn't be able to look after bubs properly by myself if I dont know anyone, this is why I am on this site because if I can build a network before I get to cairns then I would be able to get advice from mums that know it all. I know there are loads of books you can buy but you cant beat first hand experience.

Thanks so much girls

rhyb Guest

I went to Smithfield State high school and Im Rhiannon Weeks. I was actually down in Bendigo in November and I love it there. Whatever you choose to do wait til youre married or have kids now, hands on is the only way to learn IMO. I never read books I just trust that Ill find my way (and ask everyone on BB if need be lol). Im on msn if you ever want to chat [email protected].

Hi Rhiannon, I added you to my msn, my email address is [email protected] I know its a bit juvinile but Ive had the same email address since i was about 15!!! Is Cairns a good place to live?

Cairns is a lovely place to live but it can be very hot sticky and humid and I am not talking about the humid that people in melbourne always say " gee its a bit humid today " I am talking getting out of the shower and not been able to dry yourself as you are sweating as you dry, where you knickers are rolling up your legs to get them on where you have sweat driping down your legs and in your chest....

That been said I wish we hadnt move away, The dry season ( which still gets some rain ) is wonderful lovey warm days where you can go camping on the weekends ... You have to take the good with the bad with every place you live.. Up there you just dream about the dry season and live though the wet, down south you have to live for the very few warm days you might get in summer and have to live though the very long winters...

BTW as for moving up sooner than your partner I wouldnt if I was you only beacuse I have lived though and seen many posting fall though where they have been told they are going to one place only to see them go else where... Like I always used to say I wont believe we are moving until the truck rolls into my drive way....I would hate for something like that to happen and you have already moved up there... What is it you do as jobs in hospitalty are always easy to come by up there as they have alot of backparker coming and going...

Best of luck with the move I love Cairns but I know of others who hate it, It does help if you are out doorsy and are willing to make a do of it...

when making the choice to have a baby just make sure it isnt just beacuse you are loney ( I am not by any means saying this is the case with you ) as there are meny meny break up's in the defence due to this if anything a Child make you feel more loney as you miss your family more ( hence why we moved down to melbourne ) Just make sure you look deap with in yourself before you decide to have a child....

Let me know which boat he is on as I still know a few Defence wives up there so might be able get them to look you up when you move....

I just found this other link for you about Cairns just click

HERE
    Last edited by New Dawn; February 6th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Rita&Jessica Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNomes View Post
    Hi Amy,
    It is a bit weird how some groups are not very welcoming - it's happened to me too. It came as a big surprise to me, as it seems to go against the whole concept.

Anyway, just thought I would reply re your experience, as every mum I have met that has tried out playgroups, has had one or more playgroup visits that have upset them (or at least made them feel very unwelcome). You are not alone. Don't let it stop you
    Naomi

I absolutely agree with you Naomi! I have introduced myself and offered mums and bubs to meet up, however, no one replied. Probably because I'm not Australian. All I can say is that I will not waste anymore time on these websites. I think you just have to get out there and find nice, friendly people.

I moved to Cairns from London more than a year ago. And I feel that I've made the biggest mistake! People in UK are so much more accepting. Oh well...

Take care

Rita

Hi Rita!
    Thought I would say hi and welcome to Cairns!! I have had a lot of trouble finding mothers groups and stuff... Anyway more than happy to catch up anytime with you and your little one! Just not in the next week, we are moving!! AAARRGGGHHHH

There are friendly people out there I promise, I'd like to think I was one!!!

Amy xoxo

Cairns is one of the un-welcoming places I've ever lived in, and I've lived in a few towns. I've been here 10 years this year and I'm still trying to find friends. I have some really great, close friends, but I wanted to expand my friend list. But it's so hard.
    Good luck with the move Amy!

Hi again,
    Ooh, I am really sorry to hear you are having a hard time finding friendly people. I guess I was just chatting to Amy to share my experience, as I had had a not so good experience, but kept trying and now have met a really lovely group of girls.
    I thought it might be timely to add that I am still more than happy to set up a regular meeting time with any belly belly mums (I tried a while back but it didn't seem to come together - though some of us have caught up at the Yukim Lu playgroup - which for me has been wonderful).
    But here goes again.
    Anyone interested in meeting up at Muddies (central to most), on a Thursday morning? Say, 930? Not sure if Rita will still be checking this - but if you are, and you're keen, let's do it!
    By the way - I am also new to Cairns, only been here for a year and a bit. Felt quite sad to read the messages from mums feeling '****ed off' (for want of better wording).
    Naomi

Rita&Jessica Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amy_o View Post
    Hi Rita!
    Thought I would say hi and welcome to Cairns!! I have had a lot of trouble finding mothers groups and stuff... Anyway more than happy to catch up anytime with you and your little one! Just not in the next week, we are moving!! AAARRGGGHHHH

There are friendly people out there I promise, I'd like to think I was one!!!

Amy xoxo

Hey Amy!

Thank you for your reply Sorry I was a bit melodramatic. I'm quite upset because I left my friends and cousins in London and moved to Australia where I only know my husband's family (I don't really get along with them). I'm sure there are lovely people everywhere! And it took me few years to fall in love with London - just need to give Cairns more time...

Good luck with the move. Email me ([email protected]) your number and once you've settled we can arrange time to meet up.

Rita xx

Hi,

I live in Cairns and have 2 daughters, 1 is 3yrs and the other is 3 1/2 months. I'd like to meet up with other mums too. I live at the Northern Beaches and have been meaning to go the the Holloways Play Group on a Tuesday morning for ages but have been a bit too nervous to go on my own in case the ladies there aren't very welcoming. It is hard being a newcomer in a group when the others already know each other. I have friends up here but feel I need to get out and meed some new people (with kids).

PM me if you're interested.

Rita&Jessica Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNomes View Post
    Hi again,
    Ooh, I am really sorry to hear you are having a hard time finding friendly people. I guess I was just chatting to Amy to share my experience, as I had had a not so good experience, but kept trying and now have met a really lovely group of girls.
    I thought it might be timely to add that I am still more than happy to set up a regular meeting time with any belly belly mums (I tried a while back but it didn't seem to come together - though some of us have caught up at the Yukim Lu playgroup - which for me has been wonderful).
    But here goes again.
    Anyone interested in meeting up at Muddies (central to most), on a Thursday morning? Say, 930? Not sure if Rita will still be checking this - but if you are, and you're keen, let's do it!
    By the way - I am also new to Cairns, only been here for a year and a bit. Felt quite sad to read the messages from mums feeling '****ed off' (for want of better wording).
    Naomi
    Hi Naomi

Jessie still has 2 naps during the day - around 9 - 11 and around 2 -3:30. So I can only meet up in between. I love Muddies! But at the moment it's a bit too wet. Jessie loves the water and I would feel bad if I didn't let her play in it, but it's just not warm enough. Have you ever been in Squeekers? It's an inside play area. Mums can have coffee and snacks. But it costs $3 to use the play ground.

Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in.

!! All other mums with bubs are very welcome to join!!

Probably the easiest way is if everyone interested posts the time and date they'd like to meet.

Cheers
    Rita

Default Would like to join mother's group

Hi,
    I am Danielle and have recently moved to Cairns. I have a little boy called Nathaniel who is 8 months old. I would really appreciate joining a mother's group. My work only allows Thursdays or Fridays. From 11.30-1 is ideal (due to nap times). We will be living in Stratford. I don't mind the $3 entry fee but I'm not sure where Squeekers is.

Looking forward to meeting up.

Danielle

rhyb Guest

Hey Im Rhiannon, Im at Kewarra Beach and Im 19 with 8 month old Aiden. Im looking to make new friends so if anyones interested in doing something please feel free to PM me.

hi there, im hoping to meet mums in cairns we currently live in the uk and move to cairns end of april. we have a little girl who will be nearly 4 months when we arrive.. i would love some info on places to live places to take our baby and make some new friends... please help...

Hi Kim!
    We have lots of nice places here for kids, my fav is Muddy's a big childrens playgroud with water and all you could imagine!! My little one is just old enough to enjoy it. There are also lots of nice beaches to walk along (we just came home from our walk along the beach!!) We also have gymbaroo and some nice indoor playcenters but I haven't been there. As far as places to live it dependswhat you want to be near. We live on the northren beaches which is nice for us. It is near dh's work and near a beach too.
    hope that helps!!!
    Let me know when you get here Bethany is pretty close in age
    You can email me at [email protected]

Hi Am
    thanks so much for that... im actually quite excited to get there now... we were in cairns a last year i didnt think there was much or kids it seemed very tourist... ill email u when we get there... my partner is thinking mount sheridan ... hes said a few places but forgot... hope my memory comes back soon.

thanks again.. see u soon x

Red face Another mum in need...

Hi,
    My name is Angela (30) and I am out at the Northern Beaches of Cairns. I have a 5 month year old boy - Jayden.
    I am finding my self staying in doors alot and my friends no longer visit. So I am venturing out to find some new friends/mums. I thought of going to a play group on Monday the 20th. If any one is interested in going with me.
    Or if any one has any other ideas please let me know. you can email me:
    [email protected]

Hope to hear from any one .....
    Last edited by Angelawantsalife; April 11th, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

hey angel,

sorry that you are finding motherhood lonely... I am not at this stage in Cairns, but dont count us out as I can see us there again one day....

Have you tried playgroup Queensland if you give them a call they will be able to hook you up with some Playgroups close by...

I used to go to a great one on Fridays but it was in Edmonton but I didnt mind the drive ( I lived on the north side ) Most the girls I know arfe still going there, and are very friendly...

Kim you are moving at the BEST time ever my fav dry season... I personlly LOVE the Nth side... but each to there own.... I used to live in Brinsmead which we found to have bigger block size than Mt Sheriden, if we ever move back we would only go Nth side maybe even Kuranda ( well BHL wants to ) I like the beaches myself

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast