I had an emergency c/s nearly 12 months ago with my first son. It didn't bother me at all because I was having a 'big' baby (9 pound) - and I had a cyst on my ovary that needed to be removed (which the ob did at the same time).

The operation went fine, and I was out of bed the next day. I wasn't even in any pain, so I didn't need any pain medication. My doc did internal or invisible stitches (or sticky tape or something??) - because I never needed to go back for removal. And the scar is barely noticable - not that a scar bothered me anyway.

I went home after 4 days, and nearly everyone told me "you can't drive for 6 weeks after a c/s"... and I just took their word for it. I needed to get out of the house, so I would walk my son to the shops & back nearly every day - which was about 2+ hours of walking. I was going nuts not being able to go for a drive, because I felt fine. Eventually I phoned the insurance company (after 5 weeks) and they said I could drive whenever I felt up to it - unless the doc advised against it. I saw my ob at 6 weeks, and he said I could have driven anytime - damn - I wish I had of known that.

Now I'm pregnant again, and although I could do VBAC... I am going to talk to ob about having another c/s. There are many reasons for this decision, but my first experience with c/s has really helped me decide on a 2nd one.