Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are caesarean's that bad??

becky Guest

Question Are caesarean's that bad??

Hi everyone!!

As some of you might have read, I am having some difficulty in making a choice between a caesarean or natural birth. I am 15 weeks pregnant, and after getting a third degree tear with my first son, my doctor has recommended a caesarean. I kinda wanted to go natural, but do not really want to risk any major damage happening. I have received a lot of positive feedback for going natural again, but it appears most people are saying "avoid caesars at all costs." i just would like to know your ceaserean stories. I know from experience and everybody else's stories about natural births, but really dont know too much about ceasars. Any advice would be great!

Hey,

I just gave birth to my first child by ceasarean section and no, it wasn't *that* bad.

Its been 12 days now and I feel great and am very mobile again.

The first 2 or 3 days were a bit painful but painkillers work well...and you just need to take it easy.

Seriously, the worst part for me was the constipation. HTH

becky Guest

Thanks Danni

When I first was recommended a caesarean, I thought it didnt sound that bad. But everyone who has messaged me lately seem to be anti-caesarean, and I wasnt sure if there was something I didnt know. Im glad everything is going well for you and your bub!

Jodie259 Guest

I had an emergency c/s nearly 12 months ago with my first son. It didn't bother me at all because I was having a 'big' baby (9 pound) - and I had a cyst on my ovary that needed to be removed (which the ob did at the same time).

The operation went fine, and I was out of bed the next day. I wasn't even in any pain, so I didn't need any pain medication. My doc did internal or invisible stitches (or sticky tape or something??) - because I never needed to go back for removal. And the scar is barely noticable - not that a scar bothered me anyway.

I went home after 4 days, and nearly everyone told me "you can't drive for 6 weeks after a c/s"... and I just took their word for it. I needed to get out of the house, so I would walk my son to the shops & back nearly every day - which was about 2+ hours of walking. I was going nuts not being able to go for a drive, because I felt fine. Eventually I phoned the insurance company (after 5 weeks) and they said I could drive whenever I felt up to it - unless the doc advised against it. I saw my ob at 6 weeks, and he said I could have driven anytime - damn - I wish I had of known that.

Now I'm pregnant again, and although I could do VBAC... I am going to talk to ob about having another c/s. There are many reasons for this decision, but my first experience with c/s has really helped me decide on a 2nd one.

Hi Becky,

I had my 3rd c-section in January this year and it didn't take long to heal. I was out of bed the next day and walking around. I only stayed in hospital 4days.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Perhaps you could make some choices to help avoid tearing.

Active birth, waterbirth (supports perineum less likely to tear), avoid directed pushing (more likely to tear) and try the pink kit.

While the risk is low, ceasareans are three times the rate for infant mortality than vaginal birth. There is also increased risk for you and other complications. Just for the purpose of avoiding a tear, I would think hard about this one before making a decision based on that. You can still give birth vaginally, plenty of women with previous episiotomy and tearing have.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

i am one of the ones who says they are awful and is doing everything I can to avoid it this time!!! I was in terrible pain afterwards and took a long time to heal properly. Plus Jackson was pretty damaged with cuts and bruises allover his head and face and honestly, he semed pretty traumatised by the whole thing!

Even having a baby aside, I think avoiding any kind of surgery is good advice. Obviously in your case it isn't that black and white, you have other issues to consider, so I guess you just have to weigh up worst case scenarios in both situations and stick with what you are comfortable with - But just remember that everyone reacts to and heals very differently from surgery, it might not be a walk in the park for you either.

I had a c/s, had no pain and a very quick recovery so would do it again. Having said that, what Min and Kelly are saying are right, it is major surgery and therefore has more risks than a natural delivery. so unfortunately you are the only one who can weigh up the risks of each and decide. good luck with the decision.

I haven't had a caesar, but I've had uterine surgery and the recovery was nasty and it was extremely painful, for this reason I am terrified of needing a c-section. Like Caro said, adhesions are a major factor too, I have these from the surgeries I had and they aren't nice at all.

The biggest thing that scares me about having a caesar (and I have been threatened with it this pregnancy because I am apparently having a baby that might be too large), is the whole not holding your baby straight away. I have had two vaginal births, and I wasn't parted from my baby afterward, I can imagine going into recovery and being stitched up without the baby would distress me. I also worry about the BFing aspect of it by not being able to BF straight away, though many women seem to be able to do this okay, I just had trouble even having a vaginal birth with it because of a delay in attaching.

Definatley research both sides, you hear as many good c-section stories as bad, and in the end you have to decide. I can't imagine what a third degree tear would be like either, but Id imagine it would be nasty so I don't blame you for wanting to weigh up your options.

From what I've heard, the pink kit would be a good thing for you to look into if you are going to go a vaginal birth again, they have alot of information about tearing and avoiding it, as well as much more. There is a link to it in the labour forum at the top.

Good luck

I had an elective c-sect and was walking withing 24hrs. I had a rather nasty bleed and required a transfusion..it was still all good. The worst part for me was the spinal being put in...the best the cathater and not having to get out of bed to pee
    Bec

Last edited by Trillian; April 28th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

betty.boop1 Guest

My mother had a c-section and it was absolutely horrible for her. She went in and they put the anesetic or whatever it is on her belly so the could make the cut. Well whilst doing so they asked how she was feeling and she told them she could feel every moment of it. They therefore started stabbing heaps of needles inside her tummy that was already opened and she could feel every single needle. She said it was so painful. After all this she could feel for a brief moment what they were doing to her but then the painkillers or numming (sorry dont know what it is exactly) kikked in and she couldnt feel a thing. But she says now that it was the worst experience and still remembers exactly how it felt. Ouch!

Kirsty77 Guest

Ultimatley hun its your choice and whatever your comfortable with. Don't be bullied into trying for a vaginal when you really don't want to. I had an emergency c/s with my first daughter as she got stuck. With my second daughter I 'thought' I wanted to try for a natural as thats what everybody else wanted and the praise I got for that was huge. As soon as I would mention that I had a choice of natural vs c/s everybody would frown on the c/s. In the end I followed my heart and went the scheduled c/s and thought bollocks to the people who looked down on me for it. It was seriously the best decision 'I' made for me. It was so much better than the first and I recovered so quickly. Within a week I was back to normal. Recovery does depend on the person but these days c/s's are so much more different then 20-30years ago when my mum had 3 c/s's and it took her ages to recover. These days with physio and doctors watchful eyes recovery is so much better.

Goodluck with your decision hun. Like I said make sure you make the right decision for you. Do your research.

becky Guest

Hi Guys
    Thankyou so much, you have all been so helpful with your advice. As you all say, every birth is different, so I guess I just have a lot of thinking to do over the next few months!!
    X

Caro - I am not really sure, the whole thing is a bit of a blur. He came out with a badly cut lip which only just escaped stitches, and a huge forcep mark down his whole cheek which bruised pretty badly. I think the OB I had was extremely rough, I ended up with a hell of a lot of pain, and so did another girl in my ward that had the same OB that day and one of the midwives commented "oh, he must've been having a bad day!

I was also separated from Jackson for over an hour because my temperature was a couple of degrees below normal after surgery.

I just had my second C-section 2 weeks ago. They used forceps this time because bub was so high up. He also has a slight bruise on the side of his cheek but no cuts or anything. Apparently it is not rare to use forceps for c-sections. The obs like to get them out pretty quickly.

My first c-section took a lot longer to get over because I went through labour and then had to have an emergency c-section. This time around was a lot better. I knew what to expect and have healed quickly. I must say though if you decide to have a c-section you will need help at home. You can't reach or hang clothes on the line etc. Just like any other major op.

I was out of bed the next day and of course that did hurt a bit standing up for the first time but I stuck with the pain killers this time and didn't feel that much pain.

Good luck making your decision. It is a very difficult decision.

I had forceps because Jackson was engaged and pretty much ready to come out, he was right in my pelvis and they couldn't get him out.

With the help at home thing, how old are your other children? You are not meant to lift anything heavier than your baby for 6 weeks or put your arms above your head. I don't want to have to have another c/s because Jackson will be only just 2YO and he couldn't survive a day without me picking him up let alone 6 weeks, he is such a mummy's boy!

I have had both c/s and second was VBAC. After experiencing both I would go natural any day of the week. The first few days are definitely the worst with a c/s but it does take a lot longer to heal properly and I had 3rd degree tears with VBAC and I'd take that any day as well.

When it comes down to it, it's your choice and I would advise to listen to the OB's advice and take it all on board then make your decision, but make it an informed decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast