Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Dennis Price Fan Club

Wow this Dennis sounds fantastic!

Can anyone tell me his last name? and does he work in the city?

tictac

ME30
    HE32
    TTC # 1

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Hi Tictac, his name is Dr Dennis Price and he has rooms in Malvern and Clayton and delivers at Cabrini, Waverley and Jessie Mac.

And yes he is awesome!Let us know if you are joining the club! lol

gigi01 Guest

Hi everyone,

Well, saw Dennis and he actually surprised me.

He said that if I can get 2-3 days complete bed rest it will help the pain to go away, but then as I start to do things again, it will come back. It's separation of the pelvis pretty much and will only get worse the more I do physically. Pretty tough situation with a 19 month old running around. So, as I am 38 weeks tomorrow, he said that if it gets too much for me to handle between now and my next appointment (Monday) that he is happy to get me in to Cabrini and do an internal and break the waters and hopefully that will bring it on. If not, then he would put the drip in. He says that if I was earlier, he wouldn't recommend it but for the sake of a couple of weeks - that could lead to 4 if I were to go over, it's just not worth it to be in pain like this.

So, I am a bit emotional and teary now - I just always thought that I would go into natural labour like last time and the prospect of an induction is freaking me out a little bit but I don't know how much longer I can go on with this pain. I am hoping that my MIL or Mum will take Ella for a few days so I can get some rest and maybe see how I am by Monday, just to get that extra week?? I don't know - I am really at a loss.

I was surprised that Dennis even suggested it but I think it must be a sign that he doesn't see the need for me to be in pain if I don't have to be, you know? the head is down but not engaged, even though it feels as though it's between my knees.

Help! Don't know what to do!

xxxxx

Oh Gigi, I was just thinking about you hun!

OK - the complete bed rest is almost bloody impossible with a 19 month old, I am hearing you there. Do you think someone can take Ella for a few days or come and stay for a few days to help you?

With the induction, if you have had a great experience with a natural labour then I can understand your concerns about an induction. My own induction with DS 2 was done at 39 weeks and I was actually already dilated 2cm and Dennis broke my waters, then left it up to me when I had the drip put up. I had an induction at MY request after a long labour the first time, so for me it was more about having an outcome within the day so I chose to have the drip up an hour or so after he broke my waters.

I don't know whether it is what Dennis orders or what is done routinely at Cabrini, but the drip was started really really low, and the first time I felt anything it was just pressure, no pain whatsoever, then every half hour after that was turned up, but my body still had a chance to adjust. I got through my induction with just Gas, and I think as a second time mum, you will surprise yourself anyway at how well you handle the labour and how quick it can happen.

If the contractions are too much, it is your right to request it to be turned down or off, especially once labour has been established. You could also ask Dennis about intermittent monitoring rather than constant so you can still have some freedom and movement ( I know he supports this as I have already asked the question)

You know what Dennis is like, he is very much into giving you the options, and letting you decide, so ultimately it is what is best for you at this point.

Sweety, I hope this helps, I just know that I needed to hear some positive things about inductions and all I could find was negative, but they can still be wonderful and amazing just intense.

If you want to chat or email, email me on [email protected], and we can have a chat.

Thnking of you

gigi01 Guest

Hi Relle,

Thank you so much! I really needed to hear that babe. It is a lot of negative stuff that you hear re inductions and I just find it hard to know what to do, particularly with varying advice from people, ykwim? and it sounds as though I would still have some control over things with Dennis and Cabrini, which is good. He was so great this morning really I just think it gave me a shock because it really hadn't been a consideration at this point.

I have just spoken to mum and she is going to come over this afternoon and do the shopping for me etc and will come each day to let me rest for the rest of the week. I think that my MIL could maybe take Ella Thursday till Saturday morning though so that could be good too. Then I figure I can give myself til my appointment with him Monday to see how I am feeling. But you are right, I need to not have Ella here so I can actually rest properly. The problem is on the flipside, I will miss her so much as it's such an emotional time I just want her with me - anyway, what's best for me and the bub is the most important thing and if it means a few days with her away at granny's then so be it.

Thanks so much again - thanks for your email too, I appreciate the chat offer and will probably take you up on it!!!

g xx

Gigi - your poor love!! I can understand why you must have been a bit freaked out. I can't help with any induction advice but I have had many friends who had good experiences with being induced. Just focus on the positives, you'll get to meet your beautiful baby a bit sooner. I am sure Ella will have a lovely time with her nana, most kids love it. Treat it like a special sleepover, and I can understand you missing her. It must be an emotional time for you but try to take it easy and rest up as much as possible. Its great that you can call on MIL as well. Pls keep us posted with any updates. Thinking of you!

Relle - third trimester, wow it has gone quickly! How did you app go with Dennis today? I also noticed that is was Campbells b'day on Easter Sunday! Happy B'day Campbell! What did you do to celebrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Relle View Post
    Meredith - thankyou so much for that offer - look out I will take you up on that! lol

I am having a Doula for my birth. I actually originally had a student midwife lined up to come, but that did not work out and I guess I had different expectations to what she wanted to do, I never ever got to meet her in the end as she was only interested in meeting me at an appt with Dennis, and the 2 appt that were originally after contacting her were my 12 and 19 week scans, which my husband was coming too, but I thought she would want to meet anyway, but she didn't so I canned that idea and hired a Doula, which has worked well as I have now trained anyway.

Where are you studying? Are you doing the grad dip or BA of Mid?

Oh Relle, I am so sorry you had that experience with the student midwife...that is very poor behaviour and certainly not the way the Follow Through Journeys are meant to be.
    I have said this before and i will say it again, supporting women through their pregnancy, labour and birth is the best way to learn how you are going to support women once actually qualified. Not two births are the same, no two women are the same...

What a shame we hadnt 'met' back then, I would love to have 'followed you' through.

I am doing the BMid at ACU, so its the Bachelor, not the grad dip.

Look forward to chatting withn you some more,

Meredith x

Hi girls,

Gigi - that is so fantastic about your mum coming over to help. I am sure her help and maybe a little holidays at nannas will do you the world of good at least getting to next monday, and then take each day after that hun.

Ros also had inductions with Dennis and she has great stories about her inductions as well ( other than a posterior bub) so they are not all bad. My induction was a much more positive and beautiful experience than my spontaneous, so I guess it depends on your body and what your expectations are iykwim.

Mel, I know the time is passing so quickly! Can you believe I am in the last trimester already! Yes it was Campbell's bday on Sunday and he turned 3! He had such a big day, easter bunny and then birthday presents! We gave him a big boy bike, so he was very excited and exhausted from riding his bike around everywhere in the caravan park we were staying at. Mel did you get my email hun?

Meredith - thankyou for not making me feel silly about that! I really thought that maybe I was overreacting and expecting way too much, but I know as a mum what I would want and expect and would give my follow throughs the same courtesy as well. Funnily enough she did not have children, and I know I chouldn't be biased like that, I think having kids would make a difference, because you could understand how it is such an important time and how vulnerable you feel iykwim. I am pretty sure I replied to a thread you posted aout follow through journey's back then, but I could never find either the thread or my post in it after that, so believe it or not, I actually was hoping to meet you!

Do you mind if I ask if you had done Div 2 nursing or anything else like that to get in? It is just so damn competitive to get in and I am despairing I will never get in!

Just got back from my appt. I had a list of things to go through today with him. Sore Hips, a feeling I can't shakeabout something being wrong with the baby, what position was Campbell in when he did the forcep delivery, was sort of forcep delivery was it, etc etc. I have alot of issues with aching in the pelvi region even when I am not pregnant now after having Campbell and especially when I sit on the toilet and relax everything iykwim.

He was very laid back, but listened to it all, probably with amusement! lol

I took Campbell as he was so excited about seeing Dr Dennis, and he was great there and Dennis was great with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Relle View Post
    Hi girls,

Gigi - that is so fantastic about your mum coming over to help. I am sure her help and maybe a little holidays at nannas will do you the world of good at least getting to next monday, and then take each day after that hun.

Ros also had inductions with Dennis and she has great stories about her inductions as well ( other than a posterior bub) so they are not all bad. My induction was a much more positive and beautiful experience than my spontaneous, so I guess it depends on your body and what your expectations are iykwim.

Mel, I know the time is passing so quickly! Can you believe I am in the last trimester already! Yes it was Campbell's bday on Sunday and he turned 3! He had such a big day, easter bunny and then birthday presents! We gave him a big boy bike, so he was very excited and exhausted from riding his bike around everywhere in the caravan park we were staying at. Mel did you get my email hun?

Meredith - thankyou for not making me feel silly about that! I really thought that maybe I was overreacting and expecting way too much, but I know as a mum what I would want and expect and would give my follow throughs the same courtesy as well. Funnily enough she did not have children, and I know I chouldn't be biased like that, I think having kids would make a difference, because you could understand how it is such an important time and how vulnerable you feel iykwim. I am pretty sure I replied to a thread you posted aout follow through journey's back then, but I could never find either the thread or my post in it after that, so believe it or not, I actually was hoping to meet you!

Do you mind if I ask if you had done Div 2 nursing or anything else like that to get in? It is just so damn competitive to get in and I am despairing I will never get in!

Just got back from my appt. I had a list of things to go through today with him. Sore Hips, a feeling I can't shakeabout something being wrong with the baby, what position was Campbell in when he did the forcep delivery, was sort of forcep delivery was it, etc etc. I have alot of issues with aching in the pelvi region even when I am not pregnant now after having Campbell and especially when I sit on the toilet and relax everything iykwim.

He was very laid back, but listened to it all, probably with amusement! lol

I took Campbell as he was so excited about seeing Dr Dennis, and he was great there and Dennis was great with him as well.

Hi Relle,

Sorry about including your whole post above, I dont know how to just do one section quotes

Im sorry we missed out on worling together during your pregnancy, thats ok, if there is anything I can do to help you or any of the other lovely ladies on here, just ask away.

I think I had a little angel on my shoulder when I was accepted for the BMid. I had filled out all the forms, applied to sit the STAT test which I was really worried about. Two weeks BEFORE I was meant to sit the STAT test I received an early offer in the mail from ACU!! I couldnt believe it. It ended up i didnt need to sit the test, they accepted me on my application alone. So if I can get in, there is no reason why you cant. I know how frustrating it must be, I know of many women who have tried several times and keep missing out. Please dont give up, we need more midwives with an attitude like yours

And no, I wasnt a Div 2 when I started. I always knew I didnt want to be a nurse, I wanted to be a midwife. In first year we pretty much do all the same clinical science subjects as the nursing students, so we do have the nursing skills on board.

We actually have a doula doing the BMid who is in one of my tutorials this year. She has a two children and has been doing one subject a semester for the past couple of years...slowly but surely getting there. The only down side with that is that you have to pay up front for the subjects, which can become a little costly.

I too have been doing first year over two years, basically becasue with three little ones, it would be way too much to take on full time in first year because you have so many contact hours on campus. My dh has his own buisness from home, so it wouldnt be fair to him either.

Meredith x

Quote Originally Posted by gigi01 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Well, saw Dennis and he actually surprised me.

He said that if I can get 2-3 days complete bed rest it will help the pain to go away, but then as I start to do things again, it will come back. It's separation of the pelvis pretty much and will only get worse the more I do physically. Pretty tough situation with a 19 month old running around. So, as I am 38 weeks tomorrow, he said that if it gets too much for me to handle between now and my next appointment (Monday) that he is happy to get me in to Cabrini and do an internal and break the waters and hopefully that will bring it on. If not, then he would put the drip in. He says that if I was earlier, he wouldn't recommend it but for the sake of a couple of weeks - that could lead to 4 if I were to go over, it's just not worth it to be in pain like this.

So, I am a bit emotional and teary now - I just always thought that I would go into natural labour like last time and the prospect of an induction is freaking me out a little bit but I don't know how much longer I can go on with this pain. I am hoping that my MIL or Mum will take Ella for a few days so I can get some rest and maybe see how I am by Monday, just to get that extra week?? I don't know - I am really at a loss.

I was surprised that Dennis even suggested it but I think it must be a sign that he doesn't see the need for me to be in pain if I don't have to be, you know? the head is down but not engaged, even though it feels as though it's between my knees.

Help! Don't know what to do!

xxxxx
    Oh Gigi,

I really feel for you...the most important thing that you remember is that you need to make the decision that is right for YOU. These last few weeks can be really trying anyway, but having a pelvis that is spongy with a little head nudging its way down can be enough for your body to say 'im over this'. Dont feel pressured into going with either option, induction or wait and see.....go with what is right for you....and deep down, you will know what it is. Take some quite time out and work out which one is right for you.

Lots of hugs to you,

Meredith x

oh gigi, you poor thing - the pain sounds terrible!! i hope you have gotten over the shock of the induction suggestion now and have your feet up in bed considering your options. i was scared stiff of the idea of an induction as they seem to get a lot of negative press on the BellyBelly website in particular, but my SIL just had her first baby last month and was induced. she has nothing but positive things to say about the whole childbirth experience, which i thought was pretty impressive for a first-time mother.. as a second-timer i'm sure you'd sail through!
    i'm sure if dennis understands your hesitation you could agree to ramp the dosage up very slowly to give your body plenty of time to adjust...
    in the mean time, it's great that your mum and MIL are able to help out with Ella - i'm sure a few days in bed will give you some much needed relief after the constant pain you've been in... and maybe the baby will descend while you're busy eating chocolate and watching tv, and will make an early entrance of his/her own accord!!
    anyway, not many words of comfort or advice that i can offer other than to say that i'll be thinking of you!!

gigi01 Guest

Hi all,

Firstly - you girls are the best (hugs!). I spent from 3.30 yesterday afternoon until 3am today having mildish but regular contractions. Then they just stopped. I kind of knew deep down that it wasn't the real thing but I still kept hoping they were going to turn into it....anyway.....

Spent today in bed. Mum came over to mind Ella and MIL is taking her tomorrow until Saturday so I have decided that it will give me a few days of complete rest that should help with the pain. I feel like I don't want to make the decision when I am not in my "right mind" - you know? I don't want to make the decision in an irrational emotional state, which I feel I am still in at the moment, with the pain etc.

Relle - That's exactly how I feel re getting to Monday - I figure that will be best for bub to go an extra week in there and then if the pain has not got any better after these next few days of rest then I can make a positive decision rather than one that I feel forced into... I have thought a lot about what you said and re positive induction stories and I think it's really helped me so thanks again.

Mel - thanks heaps babe - it is good to know that there are positive stories out there as well as the bad ones! I have rested today but am really looking forward to the next few days now so I can just completely rest and not worry about Ella. I think I really need it.

Meredith - your post is exactly what I am thinking in my head. I fully intend to take the next few days to give myself the time to work it all out and I the rest can't hurt me either! Thanks so much.

Ella - thanks heaps babe - I know, the BB website does have a lot of negative stuff on induction - I read an article the other day and I now regret reading it as it was quite full on. Anyway, I am with you and hope that the bub will make it's own appearance but at least I can get myself into the right headspace and hopefully lose this pain. It has been excruciating.

Well ladies, that's it from me with some very sharp groin pains thanks to the alien squirming around down there and pushing on some kind of nerves I think! Off to bed to get some more rest.

Thanks again so much for your thoughts and kind words - this place is great for supportive women who understand! Hopefully when I next check in I won't be such a basket case. Hope you are all well. I feel a little selfish talking about myself. I appreciate the opportunity to vent! Take care and will keep you posted.

Gigi xx

Gigi - You are very welcome hun - anytime I can help, let me know and I mean that!

I think that is a great plan, a few days of dedicated rest and then as you said YOU can make the decision and know that it is a rational one, not when you are in pain and caught out iykwim.

The offer is still there babe if you want to email me, email away!

I have signed up for the Diploma of Childbirth Education, so back to the study for me again! I am stoked and really looking forward to it!

Ella - great to hear from you babe. Hope all is going well with bubs!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Just a comment about the induction article, I don't believe it's negative but informative. Like I reiterate there, you have to weigh up if the benefits are worth the risks for your situation. Inductions are the major culprit for the skyrocketing c/s rate, so it's not something I think can be brushed aside. The article contains fact, not opinion, and it's facts I believe women need to know before making a decision, not just the benefits.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly you are absolutely right, it is not a decision to be made lightly or in the heat of the moment so to speak. And all of the pros and cons need to be evaluated by each individual.

But I think it is nice to know that having an induction does not automatically mean that the experience of having your baby is an less beautiful or empowering.

I personally am scared *****less of spontaneous labour! lol But then I have a very experienced Doula to help me in this!!

Hi Relle!

Yes, all is well with bubs (i assume!).. i think i've started to feel it moving, although it feels like squirming and not "butterflies" - so i'm not sure if i'm imagining it!

i'm off to perth for 10 days tomorrow for 3 weddings and bought myself a lovely Alannah Hill outfit to wear last weekend, but since then my tummy has started to sprout so i hope that i can still fit into the outfit for the weddings next weekend! either way, i'm glad my tummy is finally starting to look PG and not just chubby!!

we have our 19-week scan on the 30th April, and my DH has finally agreed that we can find out the sex - yay!! i'm pretty excited about that!!

well, i'll try and check in to BB a few times from Perth to see if there are any birth announcements for gigi - yesterday's contractions sound promising, even if they were only practice ones!!

take care girls!

gigi01 Guest

Hi all,

Kelly - thank you for the response re the article - I didn't mean to sound wholly negative about it - I really meant that at the time I read it I was in such an emotional state at being told it might be necessary by my OB I wish that I hadn't read it as it freaked me out even more!

Relle - thanks babe - am doing pretty well today. Ella has gone off with her grandma and I am starting my forced 3 days rest and apart from the tears I had when she left, I am doing ok! Will keep you informed of any progress!

Ella - have a great time in Perth! How lovely - 3 weddings ! I will post any progress here - but hopefully (for my sake!) by the time you get back I will have pushed this little bubba out!!! Take care.

No more contractions for me - just some horrific pain last night when the bub moved - felt like the head might be hitting some kind of nerve as the shots of pain down through my groin was like a red hot poker. Thankfully nothing since!

Catch you all later

Gigi xx

gigi01 Guest

Hi ladies,

Just a quick update - still here and coping with on and off pain. Last night the pelvic pain came back and I was in a bit of a state but much better today. Getting very tired though and have a little girl who is out of her routine due to sickness and it's a hard road getting her back to her good sleep pattern during the day. All I can say is thank god she's brilliant at nighttime because I seriously wouldn't cope!

Anyway, will keep you posted but no signs this week that it's imminent. Saw Dennis on Monday - I think he was a bit surprised that I hadn't called after last week to get things moving. His first comment to me was " I thought you were sick of being pregnant!" - anyway, all was good and he just said to play it by ear - if I wake up tomorrow with severe pain after no sleep that he will "expect a phone call" to get things moving.

39 weeks today! So that's good.....but I need to curb this impatience and just hang on another week I think...will see how I go.

Hope you are all well, catch up later

G xx

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast