Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clomid for LPD #2

Hello lovely ladies,
    Hope I'm not intruding on your thread but I've been following it for a while and just love hearing all the HAPPY bubba stories!! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BFP'S and goodluck on those still to come. (Great news with the scan Flowerchild-- I totally empathise with your apprehension beforehand).
    I just wanted to ask a question of all you LPD "experts". Can LPD be a cause/reason for m/c? I've had two missed m/c's this year and as I've not had trouble concieving I've never charted or really used OPK's. After doing some reading about the importance of progest. in pregnancy I've decided to look into whther LPD may apply to me. I've always had a regular 28 day cycle but apparently that does not make a diff. with LPD. I suppose I am a little consumed by my search for answers but at least I don't then feel so powerless and out of control of my bod. Any info./advice you guys can offer will be taken on board. Is this worth investigating or am I wasting my time? With both my preg.s early scans showed bub in right place with heartbeat and no indication of loss until around the 11 week mark. Would bubs have grown to this point if LPD was a factor?
    Sorry for all the questions-- I just have so many!!
    Thanks,
    Hopexoxoxoxoxo
    :angel2: Jan '06 (11.5 weeks) and Aug '06 (11 weeks)

Hope, a luteal phase defect would stop a bub from sticking in the first place. It basically means that AF arrives before the embryo has had a chance to implant properly. Other factors would contribute to late losses, and I don't know a lot about that.

BW

Hope - from what you have said it is unlikely you have an LPD. Do you know what day you ovulate??? I generally have a normal luteal phase (14 days) but have low progesterone, however this is usually an issue in early pregnancy and you are getting much further than this. What testing have you had so far. There are many that can be done to determine if there is any cause for your losses. Check the TTCMCAL forum for the stickie.

ETA http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...read.php?t=670
    Last edited by Michelle71; September 6th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks for your replies,
    Although I didn't know I had m/c'd until around 11 weeks both were missed m/c's and could've been not growing since the seven or eight week mark I really don't know. I'm aware that LPD is mostly linked with issues of conception but have also read that it can contribute to m/c due to low progest. and poor quality uterine lining meaning that bub can't continue to develop past a certain point. I might as well look into it-- at least then I could have progest. prescribed for my nxt pg.
    My GP sent me for a series of blood tests on Monday. Will find out the results soon I hope-- not really sure that anything will come of them. Thanks again guys,
    Hope xoxo

Hope,
    I am sorry for your losses - missed miscarriage is very painful - not knowing that your baby has died is particularly hard to come to terms with... :hugs:

LPD can contribute to very early pregnancy loss, often termed "chemical Pregnancy". To explain if you ovulate on cd21 and bleed on cd29 you lp is only 8 days. If you conceive in that cycle and implant on say cd28 your progesterone level is naturally on it's way down. It takes time for the impanted pregnancy to increase your prog levels and a day or two possibly isn't long enough. So, you get a positive test but then you bleed. A LP onf 8 days makes it more difficult to maintain a pregnancy but not impossible. MOst practitioners like a lp of 12 days or more. Implantation occurs generally (nothing is static though) around 5-7 days post ovulation. It is very difficult (neigh impossible) to pinpoint precise implantation in natural cycles as 5 women could all conceive on the same date but implantation times will vary. This is why some women with short LP will succeed in conceiving and maintaining pregnancy as their implantation may have been earlier...
    Low progesterone levels often occur because the beginning of your cycle is a little lacking in hormone. Remember that your body works in sync and usually not just one part of the cycle is needing boosting. This is often where Clomid can be helpful...

If your babies died at 7-8 weeks then this would be highly unlikely due to progesterone insufficiency. It used to be that recurrent early miscarriers were given progesterone pessaries to support the pregnancy but then it was found that this didn't seem to produce better outcomes. It did seem to indicate that low prog levels are indicative of the viability of pregnancy. A nice healthy prog level and a good hcg augurs well. A lowish prog. and hcg will be treated with more caution. As for your endometrium - if a woman has a LPD and conceives it is very accurate that if the pregnancy implants close to the end of her LP the lining will be beginning to break down due to the low prog. However, almost always these are early losses and at the least if an early u/s is done the ob can asess the endometrial condtion. The majority of first trimester losses occur before 6.5 weeks. Some of these losses aren't miscarried and remain inside making a woman think that all is well... If a heart beat (healthy one!) and size and shape look good then the risk factors for miscarriage are drastically reduced.
    So maybe for your next pregnancy it might help to have an early scan to asess your baby? I would recommend doing some close charting and opk's and this will give you an idea of when you ovulate and how long your LP is. Thosae prog. levels that you are having done will indicate if you are ovulating and that will be good info too.

I truly know how awfully hard and draining this process is. I wish you a speedy healthy BFP and nice healthy Prog. Levels!!!

Well, I have had a bit of a worrying 24 horus. I had my first clexane injection as you all know. Well last night I noticed I had a hive like rash on my belly. The injection site bled on and off. I went to bed a bit worried about it all. The rash was worse this morning covering my abdomen. I woke with blood on the sheets from tiny nicks on my legs that I must have scratched in the night.

The rash is bruising which indicates bleeding under the skin for about a 10cm radius to the injection site. My ob saw me quite quickly (mmm!!!) We have stopped the clexane and it is clear that it isn't my friend. I thought that Clexane was gonna be my insurance policy - I have been using chinese herbs and acupuncture and feeling really positive about their use but I was taking the clexane to "cover all bases". However, I am feeling really comfortable about not taking it. Quite clearly I can't safely take it with the reaction I had but I feel like this baby is fine and will stay fine. I believe that I am doing all I can with the herbs and acupuncture and that's the best I can do!

So, that's my latest - never a dull moment hey?

Thinking of you all - special hugs to Michelle

kirsty Guest

Oh Deb how scary about your reaction to the clexane, but you know what I'm sure all will be fine with your little munchkin without it.

Sending you big hugs sweetie.

Thanks Kirsty,
    Yes it was a bit scary - I was fearful of bleeding vaginally and still am a bit until the next couple of days passes... My obs isn't worried about that though he feels it would 'in no way impact on the baby'. However, I still feel a little toey... My belly looks like it's been punched!!!

How are YOU? Have you been to Melbourne? I haven't seen any news...
    Thanks for checking on me...

Aussie_Chik Guest

Hi All

Deb- fingers crossed for you, it's a shame about the reaction but it's great to hear you are feeling positive about this one.

I got my results from my formal glucose tolerance test today (something I should have had done after the birth of DS). Even though the FS didn't test for it my Billings Instructor thought it would be a good idea to do it as she feels glucose intolerance can contribute to sub fertiltiy, particularly where it's linked to PCOS. Anyway it came back all clear so I'm really happy about that. That was pretty much my last investigation concerning my LPD, so I think now I'm going to give it 2 more cycles then start Clomid. That way, I'll still be able to travel to the UK in June next year if I happen to fall PG on it.

How is everyone else fairing???

Oh Deb, that's not good at all. I am glad that you are still feeling confident without the clexane, I honestly don't think you are going to need it, everything is looking so well and you are doing everything you can to support this little bundle. I hope the bruising clears quickly and you have no more complications.

Aussie chick, well done on your results, must be a relief! Wishing you luck for your next 2 cycles.

Not much happening with me, still getting feint lines on my OPK's but that's what I expect until about the weekend when I should ovulate then it will be GO TIME !!

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing, especially Michelle, am thinking of you!

kirsty Guest

Deb yep we went to Melbourne Tuesday of this week, so only just got back. All went really good, we saw Dr Stephen Cole in Perinatal & he was fantastic. Didn't spin us any bull$hit & was honest with us about it all. He thinks that there is no link between Alex & Thomas's losses but does think that there may be some kind of link between James's prematurity & losing Alex. So we have to have some basic genetic karotype testing done on both myself & DH, then a few more bt's for me. Plus he wants them to have a look inside my uterus in a non-pregnant state to make sure all is fine in there & no defects or bands are present. So we still have about a 10-12week wait ahead of us before we are allowed back on the TTC bandwagon but we are ok with that. I have gone back to WW as of last nite to try & move some of the massive amounts of extra weight that I am carrying ~ just to make it easier on my body whilst pregnant next.

He also outlined a game plan for us for during a next pregnancy which left us feeling pretty good, although he was honest enough to remind us that we still need to keep in mind the possibility of losing another baby. Which was hard to hear but expected I guess. He also thinks we have a great chance of having another live healthy baby, but did say he couldn't guarantee it would happen with our next pregnancy, also said it could well happen the next time we try as well.

So all in all pretty good.

Glad to hear that your OB isn't too stressed about your bleeding after the reaction to the clexane but I so understand how worried you must be. But this little bubba is gonna be fine. Big hugs to you & thanx for asking after me.

Thanks Aussie and Willow - feeling better about it all today. Bruising is fading slightly and no more bleeding from nicks and scratches. My husband left for Japan this morning on business so I will have lots to keep my mind off my uterus! I bought a gorgeous picture of the medicine Buddha yesterday and he is sitting by my bed!
    Willow - It looks like you have a busy weekend ahead! I so hope this is your month!
    Aussie- Great your gtt was clear. It is good to have a plan psychologically isn't it? I know I felt better when I did. Come on girls I need you to come into PAML with me!
    KIrsty, I am really happy that things went so well for you in Melbourne. Before we know it it will be Christmas and then the fun will begin for you! What a lovely Christmas/New Year gift!

hey all, Wow so much has happened. I am sick as a dog with the flu, so dont feel flash at all.
    Poor you deb, what a scare, as if you need anything else...BUT how cool you hada fabulous scan. congrats to you...
    Well I got my 21 day prog test done, it came back at 46, im not even sure if this is good, i just rang for the results!!! im hoping it means maybe i ovulated around day 14??? have no idea really.
    Kirsty, how reasurring you have a plan in place.... so much luck to you for your next journey when it starts, sounds like your going to get the complete overhaul... great news.
    Hi to everyone else on here, I cant go back to see the names... and I just lost my post, so had to do another!! grrrrrrrrrr

Deb - I am so pleased there has been no other problems from the clexane. I hope I don't have the same reaction when the time comes :eek: My little buddha is sitting on the sidebaord keeping Caitlyn company.

Kirsty - at least there is a plan which is one step forward.

Willow - good luck with your *plans* over the weekend.

Me - AF is on the way. Feeling so incredibly flat and resigned to it just not happening. Puts me back to a 26-28 day cycle (depending when AF arrives in full force). So ..... last cycle of clomid here we come. Then ..... who knows. Maybe I'm just not meant to have a baby other than Caitlyn. I'll be back later when I can find my positive slant on the world - and I am sorry for raising your hopes earlier this week. I should have know better.

Chelle - 46 is a result you should be very pleased with!!!! Well done - yep it shows that ovulation occured and the level certainly is high enough to sustain a pregnancy if conception occured. So, let's hope the planets are aligned for youthis month...

Michelle - :hugs: I am so sorry that you are feeling like this. Feeling flat and deflated and sad is so normal. You are meant to have another baby - it will happen. YOu know you can get pregnant and you will again. I wish I could make you a nice cuppa and give you a hug - things are going to happen. I pray that it happens this month and you don't need to go down any other roads. Don't you not come in here because you feel flat - we are all here to hear the happy and the sad - that's what friends are for...

Michelle, it will happen for you I just know. Maybe not right now, but it will come. I undestand how down you must feel right at this moment.
    A friend of ours had various help in order to conceive including a few IVF treatments. She is quite a bit older than me so that meant she was having these things done when it was all still fairly new. She had no success at all and resigned herself to being childless. Then out of the blue she fell pregnant naturally when she had all but given up hope. She then went on to have three very happy healthy pregnancies. I believe she was in her mid thirties (at least 35) when she had her first child.

Big hugs to you and I'm hopeful that we will all be following Deb very soon down that wonderful road known as impending motherhood.
    Debbie

Thank you Deb and Debbie.

Deb - I would love the hug and cuppa. It is just so hard to feel like you are doing this alone. I know I'm not and I do have support, it just feels like the road you walk is yours on your own when you have the (in)fertility cycle month after month. Even DH is having a hard time getting through my sadness to find me. It is the feelings of failure I am finding hardest to manage. But I need to get organised and go to work (oh yay )

Once again. Thank you.

:hugs: again....
    The road you walk is yours and that's why it feels so lonely... But know that we are holding your hands and having cyber cuppas and cyber hugs.
    I find sometimes it helps to think "one day this will just be a memory".

I so very much understand how you are feeling. When we lost our daughter in May 2005 it took until NOvember to conceive again and then I had an early miscarriage. I then conceived and as you know lost our son and then another early miscarriage. Like you I think sometimes - my baby should be *this* old but here I am doing it all over again, every month peeing on sticks and praying for a miracle... I truly understand and I wish I could make it better.

I wish I could find some profound words that can make you smile but I can't. Just know I am here and please BELIEVE that you will be pregnant again soon....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast