Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion ~ Twins & More #4

One spoon and one very big bowl!!!
    lol

Kim McManus-Smith Guest

Hey Odette, Thanx for the advice! I planned to start them on solids this week but the whole family has a nasty bug Not nice to have 4 sick kids all at once when you are sick yourself) so it's postponed. Any more advice you have on feeding twins please throw it my way. Much appreciated. Hey, my twins d.o.b was 16th Feb...bubbles d.d. is not far off huh Hope you are well. Take care. Thanx again.

grr and everyone being sick- that is no good
    take care hon. Definately wait to everyone- including yourself are better and up for it.

Best advice for introducing solids is a tarp!!! Yep get a tarp and put in on the floor underneath their highchairs before each feed. Trust me it wont take long and food will be flicking everwhere!!

i used to take it outside and hang in on the line and the end of the day and wash it down. When it was warm- i would also take their high chairs outside and HOSE them down!!! only way to get rid of the food!!!

Also make sure you have back up food- they start eating and they are like machines- so have something ready that you can give them quickly if you finish your bowlful and they want more. Custards etc were good for that ! No heating required

Would make up a heap of mashed vegies etc at a time and freeze them so just had to grab a container out and it was enough for both of them. The jars that you buy at the supermarket last you about 3 seconds with two of them. Go for introducing a new food or if you are out, but if i fed mine on jars, it was nothing for them to devour 5 jars of food in one meal $$$$$$

if i was going out i would heat it up and put it in a thermos- kept it nice and warm!

Yep bubbles due on the 18th feb- all great people are born in feb hey!!! My b'day is the 20th of Feb!!!
    good luck and have fun!!
    odette

CathieW Guest

Hi Girls,
    I hope you don't mind if I join the thread. I'm due to have twins in 5 weeks I already have a 12 year old boy, 7 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. My hubby and myself decided to go for number 4 , I was sooooooooooooooooo sick I could'nt get out of bed and the toilet bowl was my friend. I lost 7 kgs in 7 days and my husband said you need to go to hospital, went in they did an ultrasound and there was 2 little sacs. My husband nearly had a heart attack. So we are having a girl and a boy, we are very ecxcited but also a little scared. I will be asking heaps of questions.

Thnaks
    Cathie

Kim McManus-Smith Guest

Thanx Odette. Will keep you posted. My girls always got food in strange places so..here we go twofold Welcome Cathie!!! Congrats on your suprise package. We were going for number 3 and got a boy and girl. (Hubby since had the op- thank God) Hope you are well. Any q's just ask away....Take care. Kim

Hi, hope you don't mind me butting in! I have what I think might be a silly question - when pg with twins (or more!) do you need to take additional folate? Or Elevit/Blackmores pg tablets?
    Thanks, Hez

Kim McManus-Smith Guest

Hi Hez. I was advised yes, especially early and late stages. Fefol was recommended to me..it is a much more concentrated supplement of folic acid and suplhate than most other brands. Most chemists stock it and it was actually cheaper than blackmores (they tend to have small amounts of a lot of vitamins but fefol has a much higher amount of the most important ones you need.) Good Luck! Kim

CathieW Guest

Hi
    just letting you know that I am 35 weeks and the twins are growing. I'm feeling fine just really uncomfortable with arms and legs everywhere.

Cathie

Hi CathyW and Congrats on your twin pg.

Hi ladies,
    I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins (haven't found out the sex) so thought I would pop in here and introduce myself.
    Cathie it will be nice having someone that little bit ahead to give me a heads up. Hope to get to know you all better.

well done girls- you are baking your twins so well!!!
    Whoo hoo for getting this far!!!

Remember every day inutero is 2 days less in special care!!!!
    Hang in there- it is a trying time at this stage- but well worth it- take care and rest as much as you can!!!

Any offers of help you get with your twins are born- grab with both hands! Even if things are going well, still take it- gives you more time to sleep and with your bubbas!

take care

odette

barney Guest

aww all you girls are doing a wonderful job brewing your twins
    best of luk to you all

Thanks girls for the welcome!
    I am feeling a little panicked though, as I don't have any more appointments now until a growth scan on the 30th of Sep and an appointment with the Ob on the 1st of Oct. Is it just me freaking out, or does that seem like a long time between visits?
    Can someone answer what I am sure is a dumb question? - If you have 2 sacs and 2 placentas, does that mean that they are fraternal twins and not identical or can you only tell by the obvious - one of each sex, or a dna test?
    Thanks in advance.
    Shell

Hey shell
    my Ob had me on monthly till 28 weeks and then it was suppose to be fortnightly till 36 weeks and then weekly. I didnt get that far and only got to 30 weeks so really not quite sure. Just remember that if something doesnt feel right, or one of the twins isnt moving as much, ring your OB straight away. If you are worried about the gap in betwee, why not ask if you can go in between for the midwives to quickly check you out and have a quick h/b check. No skin off their nose and will make you feel a bit more comfortable. I dont blame you- it does seem like a bit in between appointments at this stage!

There is no such thing as a silly question in here- so fire away anytime!!
    With two sacs and two placentas they are called dicormatic, dizygotic twins. Both fraternal and identical twins can have there characteristics- although all fraternal twins are di/di- some ID twins can also be Di/di.

QUOTE:
    Dichorionic and diamniotic. These types of identical twins develop 2 separate placentas and 2 separate amniotic sacs (similar to fraternal or non-identical twins). They generally occur if the fertilised egg splits by 3 days after conception.

The only real way to tell is when they are born i.e appearance and sex- if you are unsure you can have DNA testing done- a mouth swab- to check. A free way to get this done is to register with the Australian Twin Register. They were doing a tooth emergence study and for part of the trial, a free DNA was done so that could confirm if they were ID or Fraternal. Otherwise there are plenty of labs that can do it- i think its around $150 each .

Hope this info is helpful
    take care and keep on baking!
    odette

CathieW Guest

Hi shell
    My twins are Fraternal a boy and a girl. I started going for weekly appointments from 34 weeks. I'm having a v brith as long as twins a keeps his head down if he moves and goes breech than I'll have to have a c - section.

Cathie

Odette - thanks for clearing that up for me. It's a bit hard to tell sometimes which twin is moving as they are both positioned head down with spines out, so are often kicking at each other! Sometimes its hard to tell whos who.

Cathie - I am hoping for a vaginal delivery too, both of mine have been head down for the whole pregnancy pretty much. The last guy who did our ultrasound said that Twin A was closest to the exit! Hope you A Twin keeps his head down and stays close to the exit too. Is there much extra discomfort at 35 weeks, compared to 32?

I have also had a recurring nightmare that when the babies were born I mixed them up and they spent the rest of their lives as the wrong person. I'm guessing that I am not the first one to have had that fear either. Ahhhh my head is going to do me in.

CathieW Guest

Yeah I'm really uncomfortable at the moment. I find it really hard to get around, I have had enough.

Cathie

Hi guys, and hi to the newbies.

I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for their kind words when I was going through an emotional time, it really helped, and even though I didnt post straight back it meant a lot to me and helped.

Belly rubs to all.

Goodluck for those having growth scans I have mine this Thursday.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast