Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #3

Hi all,

Just dorpping in again to say hi. I shamefully haven't time to read all the posts properly - I have Luke on the floor and I have to go and pick up DH from work shortly - but I wanted to say hi.

Kat so pleased to hear that Molly finally arrived. I was watching out to see the announcement!

Sharon YOu are not a crap mum - you are a great mum and your eldest is just taking advantage of your generousity again!! Teh jealousy is only natural and he will get through it. Big hugs to you and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Sarah and babywrangler and tarnee big hellos!!! hope your little ones are behaving today!

As for me, Luke is doing really well. He is a big pig and wants to eat all the time but has been BF'ing beautifully. I uusually get about 6 hours sleep in a row each night with him so I really can't complain. DH is taking a while to adjust to teh fact that I am no longer at his beck and call but otherwise things are good. Will stop in again soon.

KAT!
    Great to see you, no matter when Molly arrived, she's an April baby, just like BJ...she's just trying to be unique!!!

sarah thanks, I know that there is just no pleasing men, just gets very frustrating for me especially when I am the only female in the house.
    BabyWrangler LOL at your Ob saying that most people couldn't be bothered to express and bottle feed, he's referring to people like me
    bellelass my 19 yo's life here isn't all that comfy, he moved out for a while but got asked to leave by the people he was staying with because he was lazy, we used his old room for the nursery and we only have a 3 bedroom house, so he is currently sleeping on a mattress on the floor in the office, with his clothes still in his suitcase, he is hardly ever home for dinner, and he has done his own washing for about the last 5 years as I refused to go rummaging through his bedroom to find dirty washing. Thank you for you advise, I was just having a bad day. Lila probably uses that 4th day of hers to catch up on the sleep that she misses out on over the other 3 days, it's frustrating, I know.
    Katstribe yay, nice to see you here. DS was asked to leave by the people he was staying with because he was lazy, and he had nowhere else to go so DH and I weren't going to make him sleep in his car, so he has a mattress on the floor in the office. Lets that there is a miracle cure out there somewhere. That's great that Molly is doing so well with BF and you lucky bugger getting some 7 hour nights of sleep, the longest Oliver seems to go (occaisionally) is 5, maybe 6 hours but he still then needs his 2am feed, can't wait till he stops needing that one, I think I will start to feel a little bit more human when that happens.
    shellbell it's nice to see you pop in here when you can, sounds like Luke is going great, and congrats on the 6 hour stretch of sleep at night, that would be sooooooooo nice.

After my crappy day yesterday I am going to try and be a little bit more positive today, that may all go out the window (including Oliver ) if he is unsettled again today. Had a talk with DH last night and he wants me to speak to someone about how i've been feeling, I think he is worried that I am getting PND and thinks that it is best to talk to someone sooner rather than later, so I will be taking Oliver to the community nurse on Friday and I might have a chat with her. He also said that if I am ever having a bad day I am to call him at work, and as long as he doesn't have any meetings he will come home and work from home.

I have woken up with a sore throat today, I really don't want to get sick, I am the type of person who hardly ever gets colds/flu the last time I had the flu (not just a bad cold like men like to confuse the flu with) was about 2 years ago, but if this cold progresses, it will be the 2nd cold i've had in 4 weeks.

Last night Oliver was such a good boy, but he was so cute, while he was getting his nappy changed he was 'trying' to talk, he had these cute little gurgling noises going in the back of his throat, and we have definitely been getting the odd smile, it's these little things that make up for the crappy days because it just melts your heart.

Sharon,
    I agree, the smiles are a heart melter.
    BJ gave us a few early on (at 3 weeks...which we assumed were wind til the health nurse saw him smile on day when he was looking me in the eyes, and she said they were real).
    The other morning, DH was cuddling him while I got ready to go out and he got 7 in a row wile talking to him...oh my god so gorgeous.he just won't do it when the camera comes out....he goes all serious!
    BJ seems to be almost trying to cut out a feed at night (which is great, but confusing!), he feeds about 9:30 or 10pm, then has been going through til between 3 and 4, then through til 8 or 9....rather than waking at 2 and waking at 6.
    Whilst this isn't a problem, it makes mummy confused about trying to squish in another feed or not!

Also, we had him set to an 8:30pm bedtime which meant DH would see him for about an hour when he got home from work, just meant we had a late tea as we wait til he settles first before cooking and eating. BJ has decided on a 7pm bedtime....Poor DH doesn't get home til about 7:30pm!

Regarding Smiles they are absolutly precious!!! We have been getting heaps now (but Mj is a bit older then most) she has also now discovered hw to makes noises!! besides screming that it.

Sharon- wow you son sounds like my sister!!! same age as well. that must be what it is. hope you have a better day with Oliver today

BW- wow a bed time? lucky you. i have absolutly no routine at all.

Hello to all the new mums who have popped in Shell and Kat

well i best be cleaning the house while my older two are at daycare and Mj is asleep

how do i get my baby to sleep during the day??? (have tried everything but letting her cry) is there something wrong with her that makes her stay wide awake from 4 am-9pm?? any ideas?

Morning all! I had a wonderful night with caleb, we decided to 'try' and get some sleeping happening. I got some settling techniques of a website and he has taken to them really well. I can not leave him when he is crazy crying, but if it is a grizzle then i can do that. But when the crazy crying starts i pick him up and settle him and then put him down. It says (the website) to turn them on their side and pat them till the crying stops, this has really worked!!!!! So excited about it... just 'dangerous' when you turn them back onto their back... just hoping they don't wake up again

Steph- have you got a swing?? I have one and its a god send, plus a vibrating bouncer works a treat too. how do you put her down. Mj will not sleep on her back and she sleep on her side. I have one of those safe sleepers that allow for sleeping on her side.

yay Taurasa on Celeb sleeping

hay steph ,

Just curious, has lila started having play time? i find that Russell will go down no problem after hes had some playtime, around an hour or so , but if he dosnt have it he will be a real pain in the bum. maybe stimulating her might help to set a awake routine and help her mp out her day. playtime whether with us or on his mat has done wonders for russell and happens every morning between his 8-9.30 sleep and his 10.30 sleep and am starting to do this in the arvos aswell after his afternoon nap.

welcome to all you newbies

As for me , my boys being an angel while dads away( wonder why???)

Wow, miss out for a day or two and there is too much to read and absorb in one go, so I apologise for the filtered responses:

Fire in relation to the sucking fingers - I'd agree with you that it is like a suppressor unless the baby is choosing to do it him/herself. I used to give DS my little finger to suck when he needed comfort sucks as he had silent reflux, screamed if given comfort boob. Lactation consultant told me to use the finger. My DS has his bottle as his comforter now, but I put that down to always offering a bottle once we stopped BF, so I would think that offering your finger is better than his - less likely to result in a comforter. Being that they supposedly don't make associations until 3 months, if it helps you get through....
    As for the snuffles at 2am on is that possibly because of the air at that time of the morning, the cold maybe, would it be worth looking at the room temp/humidity whatever it is that they suggest for asthma?

Sharon sorry to hear that DS is making life hard again. I think that you and DH are doing all the right things with him. I remember at 24 my Dad telling me that I was using the house as a hotel and needed to live by his rules if I was going to stay. Doubt that would work with DS. Maybe you need to smother him. Hope he doesn't end up like my BIL 34 never had a job and still at home. He does have psychological issues though.

As for the cold's thing, you will find that you will get sick as your immune system is down, don't worry it improves back to how you're used to it. PND - try taking fish oil and vitamin b tablets to assist if it is a chemical imbalance which comes with sleep deprevation that adds to the stress. I did and it helped me as it was more stress than actual PND.

Steph I actually find putting them in a sling or carrier assists with them getting some sleep, if you don't need it too. If you need it too, lay down with bubs tummy to tummy on your chest.

Sarah to you for having to deal with three kids on your own. I know how DS's can be at that age and I think it is a combo of age and wanting to keep their place on the pecking order.

Kat,Taurusa welcome to our growing group.

We are happy with our sleep routine, feed and bed around 8.30pm awake at around 1.30am for about an hour and then asleep until 7.30am various times during the day, so getting closer to sleeping through.
    Hello and hope you are all doing well for those I missed.

Got to go and get on with the day.

BabyWrangler Oliver also has a set bedtime, but it can vary by half an hour on either side though, he normally has his bath around 5 - 5.30pm and then a bottle after that and he is usually sound asleep by 6 - 6.30pm I then give him a sneaky feed around 10ish. It's a shame that DH doens't get to see BJ at night but that could still change again later, sometimes my DH doesn't get to see to Oliver either.
    Beatrix the kids of that generation do all seem to behave and act very similar. Oliver is asleep atm but I just couldn't be bothered cleaning.
    bellelass I really don't have any suggestions for getting your bubs to sleep during the day. Does she sleep at all, like catnap during the day, because you will find that that is how some babies are, my second was a catnapper right up till he was 6 months old.
    Taurusa I try and do that with Oliver during the day, also, when you are patting bubs on the back, or even when you are just going in there to reassure, don't make eye contact, I find that if I do that he takes that as a sign that I am going to get him up.
    Zennie it is good to let bubs have set playtimes after a feed and before a sleep just as long as they don't end up getting over stimulated, I can't wait till Oliver starts having set playtimes.
    alittlegrubi thanks for the tip on the fish oil and Vit B will give them a go, but I am shocking when it comes to taking tablets etc because I hate them all, even if they don't have a taste. I think DH will be more at ease if I talk with the comm Nurse about my feelings though and it can't hurt. As for smothering my eldest DS, he kind of has to be home for me to do that and atm he is always out somewhere, when he does come home it's at 4am then when he gets up he's off out again.

DH took Jordan to school this morning so I didn't have to rush around getting ready which was nice so I have decided that I am going to have a PJ day, well at least until I have to leave to go and pick up Jordan. I got a letter today from my employer (I do nightfill for a large retail outlet) and they where saying that I have been absent for an extended period of time with no explanation WTF my nightfill manager (who is a complete tosser) new very well I was pregnant, and the last time I worked was when I was about 30 weeks and my best friend who works there as well has told everyone and taken in photos for all to see so he knew I had had Oliver, I had also asked for maternity leave forms to be sent out to me and I never got them. The store manager apologised and said that he would make a not of it on my records and also that I could come in and fill in the maternity leave forms any time.

Sharon - I tend to just go with Russells cues and not force anything on him. every day is differnt and he lets me know what kind of playtime he wants and how much and sometimes he just wants to be quiet and sit with me. its working well and hes very contented most of the time.

Hi all,

Wyatt is the same, he has a bedtime. Along with other kids and me. He has free willy time around 7-7:30pm then striaght into bath. Maybe a little bit more playtime with siblings or Daddy when he is home and clean. Then Wrapped up, have his boobie and off to bed/moms shoulder to fall asleep on then into bed.

I have started putting hot water bottle in his bed to warm up, 'cos he was waking up soon after I put him down. It has helped. He goes down from 7:30-8:30 wakes around 1:30am for quite sleep feed, then back to bed I might have to get back up around 4:30-5for another top up then he's sleeps until around 7am, which is when I get up.

However I tried the patting on the back and it just S**T me, 'cos I was standing their for 20-30mins then he was wide away. NOT impress, as I was tired.

Have been home 2 days in row, not have to go out during morning, and both boys are starting to settle down more. DS know's when I am putting Wyatt down to be quiter, and when he is put down we can do something together. Wyatt has been down since 9am so I am expecting him to wake up soon. DS went to bed for his nap at 12noon, so PIECE AND QUITE at moment. Sort of washing machine going.

Anyway will chat latter on.

Sarah

Hi - thought it was time I joined in here, I pop in to read now and then.

My DS2 was due in May but I was induced at 38 weeks so he arrived in April (like lots of the other May babes did!). Just to introduce myself, DS1 (Dylan) is 2 1/2 and Jonah was born on April 28. He is such an easy bub in contrast to number 1, I only have to get up to feed twice overnight and he always settles back down quickly. We live in Adelaide but am currently in Melbourne staying with my folks for 2 weeks while my DH is away for work.

Anyway - this is a really busy forum so it will take me a while to get to know you all, but I look forward to sharing this exciting time with you all.

hi to the newies!

i'm thinking of trying a later bedtime, cos Ci is unsettled until 8pm anyway. maybe some floor time? dunno, he doesn't seem to want anything but to expel his built up energy (by crying, being bounced, sucking furiously or whatever), so it may not work. but he is so sleepy all day.. maybe i should force awake time by 5 or 10 minutes each feed cycle.

steph, good ideas here for naps. have ou got a fitball? you'll hate me for it in the long run (all babies i know settled this way are hard to settle any other way), but it is a god send to getting a baby to sleep. i bounce here in front of the puter until he's out (I also use a sling...i'd be pus without one).

kirsty_lee Guest

Goooood Afternoon ladies!! Hope we're all doing well. Just thought i'd check in and give a bit of an update, havent been on much of late. Ava-Jayde is doing FANTASTICALLY I got her weighed the other day and she is 4 kilos now!! AND she has been sleeping anywhere from 7 - 8 1/2 hours a night!!! AND she holds her own bottle now LOL she's great. im so glad i dont have a screaming baby all day.

Alittlegrubbi very jealous of your sleep routine... hope mine comes in time
    Sharonso hard not to make eyecontact cus i think he is so cute and just love looking at him LOL! except in the middle of the night when i think my eyes are closed any way!
    Dee Nice to see i am not the only one to make the jump over to here

Quote Originally Posted by BabyWrangler View Post
    BJ seems to be almost trying to cut out a feed at night (which is great, but confusing!), he feeds about 9:30 or 10pm, then has been going through til between 3 and 4, then through til 8 or 9....rather than waking at 2 and waking at 6. Whilst this isn't a problem, it makes mummy confused about trying to squish in another feed or not!
    BabyWrangler - Baxter is 2 days younger than BJ and seems to be following the same routine ATM too. I've been setting my alarm so he doesn't go any longer than 5 hours overnight without a feed, but am wondering if I really need to?

Sorry for lack of personals. I just wanted to let you all know that Baxter put on 215gms for the week yesterday! Isn't that wonderful? After crappy weight gains, he is finally on the up and up! We still have his renal and bladder scan on Thursday but I am confident it will be clear. He is starting to really fatten up and give us lots of smiles.

to Sharon.

SG
    xo

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast