Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #3

Hi ladies. I'm new to this thread.
    My name is Lisa, and my little boy Hunter arrived 8 1/2 weeks early, on 3rd April. Yes, he's due next week! We spent a week in NICU and 5 weeks in special care. We have been home 2 weeks, and feeling very sleep deprived.

We live in a rural area, and have to travel a very long way to go to a mothers group. Hope to swap advice and stories with you all.

Lisa

Hello eveyone! Wow, lots of newbies - welcome to you all!

Hi Kirsty!! Nice of you to join us!

Liam's grown 2 cms in the last 8 days and has put on another 240 gms. Such a clever little boy! We started our 'parents group' today which was nice. I already knew two girls there so it was very exciting!

We've decided to begin a formula feed of a night (last feed before midnight) to see if that helps with the sleeping through thing and because I'm not keeping up with my milk (for the newbies: my baby has a cleft palate and can't attach to the breast so I exclusively express breastmilk and feed via special bottle). I'm expressing at every feed, but I'm beginning to not get as much out as he's taking in. So we're working our way backwards at the moment. I'm working on things to build up my supply better, but it's hard going and I'm waiting until I see the Dr on Tuesday next week. I've also ordered some herbal tea through the health food shop that was recommended to me by a mother in the parents group.

Can't stay (sorry for no personals). Got a casserole in the oven and am going to lay down (Liam's asleep) while it cooks! Every minute helps, right??

there's so much going on in here - i can't keep up! hello and welcome to all the new mums.

shoegal great news. i'm sure baxter will continue to do brilliantly. well done.

fire don't worry, you're not the only one whose baby doesn't sleep for long stretches. my deal with dd is this: as long as she goes back to sleep after her nighttime feeds, i don't care how many she has. (i reserve the right to renegotiate the deal as soon as i get sick of it, which will probably be any day now).

routines - we don't have one at this stage. she is changing daily so i just go with the flow. no set 'bedtime' either.

must go, have to sling tired dd to sleep. have a good night everyone!

kirsty_lee Guest

Nettie!! DO IT its amazing, ava-jayde has a formula feed at 9.30 after having both boobs and she sleeps 8 1/2 hours its GREAT i started this after a week and a half of her waking every 15 mins at night for a feed i was exhasuted

Welcome Lisa, Kristy and Dee - look forward to chatting.

Nettie you have been doing an amazing job exclusively expressing for this long you have given Liam the goodness he needs and comp feeding - part BF, part formula will meet his needs and yours. Have you thought about trying to express every 2-3 hours even if Liam isn't feeding?

Taurusa a sleep routine will come, it will change many times before it is set in concrete.

Fire I find that the later bedtime routine helps with Greer staying asleep through to the otherside of midnight allowing me to get a good 3 hours of premidnight sleep which is such better sleep than after midnight. Also it is DS's sleep time so I get to cosleep with him and he doesn't miss out. For you a later time might give you the chance to sleep with DD until she falls asleep as well as helping with Ci.

Sharon hope you enjoyed your PJ day. If your feelings aren't so much PND as sleep deprived stress coupled with situation with the oldest DS, I found that working out what was causing the stress was half the battle won for me. YOu do need to talk to someone about your feelings, but be prepared that you will need to do the majority of the work to fix it.

COLOR="darkorchid"]Beatrix[/COLOR] hope things have improved a little for you and DH. We are doing well, I had a drama this morning as DH didn't get up early enouhg to get DS ready for daycare so I said I'd take him in... changed both kids nappies this morning DS had the biggest poohy nappy ever.. it is bin collection day so I took the nappies out to the bin already on the verge, came back and DS had locked me out of the house. DD was crying by the time I coaxed DS into unlocking the door again so I had a talk with DH about needing to ensure that he could get DS to daycare.

Shoegal I can understand why you would be wanting to ensure Baxter gets his feeds in, but as long as his weight gain continues next time you have him weighed I wouldn't worry about it - get your sleep, he'll let you know if he is hungry.

Got to go get DS into the bath now that DS has insisted on an early feed and has fallen asleep.

Zennie that's great that Russell is contented most of the time.
    sarah if I was doing the patting on the back thing, I would only do it if he was crying, and then once the crying stops, the patting stops and i would leave the room.
    dee73 welcome to our 'not so little' group, i'm looking forward to chatting with you.
    Fire good luck trying the later sleep time with Ci, did it work?
    kirsty_lee I would love 7 hours of sleep in a row at night, would be sheer bliss.
    Taurusa I know it's hard not to make eye contact, like you said, much easier at night because I usually feed him with my eyes closed so that I don't fully wake up too.
    Shoegal thanks for the hug. And way to go Baxter on your weight gain what a clever boy you are.
    LisyLee welcome to the group, your little one certainly didn't want to keep baking did he.
    Nettie that weight gain for Liam is great, I hope you manage to increase your supply for him though.
    mgm I have given up on forcing a routine on Oliver but he seems to be setting himself one anyway, which is fine by me.
    alittlegrubi I loved my PJ day, and to top it off, DH come home to have lunch with me too, which was lovely. I know that whatever my 'problem' it will be me who has to work to 'fix' things but at least I will have lots of support from DH and best friend.

Oliver had a good day yesterday, he seemed to want to catnap in the morning, then he had a feed at 10.30 with a nappy change in the middle and then he had more of his bottle which meant he had all up 130ml which is quite a lot for him but I think the nappy change woke him up more because with the thickened formula it is hard work once it starts to cool as it goes really thick so it tires him out, and so he falls asleep while feeding so he doesn't get all he needs. He then slept from 12 noon till 3.30pm had a bottle at shopping centre after we had picked up Jordan from school, had 80ml and went back to sleep while we did a little grocery shopping, we got home in time for bath at 5pm, at 5.15pm he was screaming for an other bottle and he had 110ml and he was back in bed at 6.15, he was sleepy when I put him down and he sent himself off to sleep. Now it doesn't seem to matter what time he wakes for his early morning feed he will still wake at around 6.30am for another bottle, then 10.30 for his next one and then he seems to go through until 3.30, he then has a bath at 5, another (top up) bottle at 5.30, then his 10.30 sneaky feed so he seems to have his own little routine going atm.

Crikey I really have blabbed on, congratulations if you made it through all of that, I will shut up now

Hey ya'll,

Thought I might stick my head in and say g'day.

My gorgeous boy Noah was due onthe 3rd May but at 8.9 pounds / 4040gs he just plain and simple ran outta room in my belly. I am only a wee five foot nothing! I wasn't very big so I guess he was well and truley rolled up in a ball! lol

Noah ended up arriving on the 29th April via c-section. No complications, I was labouring well and made it to five cms before the little man pulled back out of the canal and sent me insane - he went posterior! Little bugga, DS#1 wasthe same but posy from the start of labour. I remember with Noah feeling a foot up under my rib all of a sudden and just back pain! Oh well, he is gorgeous with BIG LOUD lungs!

He is most likely our last bubba, feel kinda sad about that, like the last finale has been sung IYKWIM!!! Anyways, a GF said to me last night, never say never! My OBGYN has told me that next time, no labour but an elective c-section as I simple have trouble giving birht. I am fine with that decision as I gave both births my best shot.

With two monkeys under two, not sure how often I will be popping in but will do so as often as possible. The poor puter will go into melt down with all the forums I belong to these days. LOL

xxxx

hey vix!!!!!!! welcome hun!

Hi All,
    I'll try and catch up with personals later, but just quickly,
    Sharon, if you need to talk drop me a message!!
    Benjamin has been breast feeding again (YAY!) the past couple of days, rather than having the expressed milk.
    I've managed to stop him in the middle of the feeds and get him to take a little of the thickener in gel form.
    The Zantac tends to make him chuck a little, I think its cause of the way he reacts when he takes it, it kind of takes his breath away (it has a strong peppermint smell, so I assume it also tastes that way), and then he just gulps and stuff for a couple of minutes!
    Other than the chucks after the Zantac feeds (3 times a day), the feeding seems like it might be back on track which is great!
    Im hoping to get my supply up a bit more to make sure he's getting enough milk, am drinking lots on milk, water and orange juice, and taking Fenugreek tablets.

Went to first new parents group today even though I'm not technically a new parent, didn't get much out of it last time since I went back to work after 4 months. Of the six that attended, 3 had c-sections including me. One Elective, one emergency (me), one non-elective 5 hours after being told to go home and pack her bags due to pre-eclampsia. A fourth had pre-eclampsia and gave birth at 35 weeks and the fifth has a blood disorder that made her birth story sound horrific, the last one was a natural birth.
    I'm amazed at how many people seem to have had birthing experiences that were not what they had planned within this month of births.

Our normal routine has been thrown out by today's meeting so Greer has fallen asleep on my chest as I type and I am keeping myself going with a caffine fix - naughty I know.

Gotta go put on Wags for DS. Might pop back later.

BW - warning on the OJ - it can irritate bubs. Apparently citrus can give them a gut ache... Just worth thinking about.

Had a great day out today and caught up with some friends - very nice!

We did the ff last night and it didn't make him sleep any longer but we will persist! I've also lowered his basinette flat again as he seems to really enjoy laying on the bed or floor lately so I'm wondering if he'll sleep better laying flat again. Worth a shot! His 'spills' seem to be less frequent now so I'm not so afraid of laying him flat.

Better go - he's waking for his next feed (the ff one)... will catch up again later!

Thanks for the warning Nettie, I'd heard that also, but BJ seems ok with it...maybe because I was drink 2lt a day of it when I was pregnant!
    I'm sticking mainly to the milk and water for the next few days anyway to really build my supply up...pumped bother sides last night and got a combined total of 60ml! Scared te hell outta me, I don't wanna dry up yet....but then this morning I got 200ml from one side, admittedly thats form overnight, but still, much more positive result!!

We tried a FF before bed last night (after a me feed!), and BJ still went his usual 5 hours, not that I'm complaining, 5 hours is great!
    It was kind of comforting too that he kept refusing the formula and making his "GACK" dry reaching noise...nice to know he prefers me (mind you, he DOES have to get used to formula sometime!
    Had ff at 10pm, BF at 3am, and woke at 7, put his dummy in for a sec while I got myself sorted, and he fell asleep again (hence me pumping one side...was gonna 'splode!)

BW yeah, oj is bad for reflux as it messes up the acid or something. I haven't had citrus since I gave birth. A local naturopath told me to make rice pudding for rich milk - rice, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, the usual suspects... in the oven. BTW, keep in mind what you express is nothing compared to what baby pulls out. They are much more efficient, and they communicate with the boob/brain to create exactly what and how much they need, incl immunities to things they're exposed to (which an expressor cannot do). I am a fountain, LOTS of milk, but when I express, you'd never know it. that hind milk is a trickle, and the breast is never empty. As long as they are sucking, they are getting drops of the richer milk as the body keeps making it while they're feeding.

Just hoping to help you feel better about your milk supply, although building it up never hurts.

I'm in trouble, so I'm seeing a lactation consultant today or tomorrow. We've got some issues that aren't resolving. One is his clicking fussing feeds that end in screams almost every feed. It has been suggested it could be a hidden cleft palate so I'm having his mouth looked at also.

had bad anxiety yesterday arvo but doing better today. I loaded up with supps.

Fire - fingers crossed for you. Feel free to PM me if you have concerns about the cleft palate thing. I'm somewhat of a 'new expert' now!

Having a yukky ultrasound today to check if I still have 'product' in my uterus. So am currently drinking my 1L of water. Will head into the shower in a minute so I'm presentable as they do an 'internal' probe *eek* Then see the Dr on Tuesday to find out what this pain is. Thankfully I've finally stopped bleeding!

Have been giving Liam ff for the last two nights but he's not sleeping any longer...

Just been handed him by my DH so must run!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Im back, Im back, Im back!!!
    Sorry, i went mia for a while, couldnt keep up with all the posts and DD wasnt sleeping much during the night, so just gave up for a little while..
    Soo..whats news?? (I know i can go read the millions of posts ive missed but atm i have limited online so cant really..)
    Isabell is doing wonderfully..she is now sleeping nights and days..its AWESOME..although there is a period between about 3pm-9pm that she is determined to stay up, but thats nothing on the 6am-9pm i had before..and as long as i dont push sleep on her during this time frame she will be a happy chatty smiley baby..which is just the way i love her apart from 3pm-9pm is usually the time i like to have dinner, watch my tv shows and catch up on intranet..but hey isabell and i can watch my shows together, and im sure i could have a big lunch while DP is here to get me til 9pm when i can have dinner. And the rest can wait til 9pm...(i could have dinner but if i put her down she will feel like im trying to get her to sleep, even if i put her in her rocker in the kitchen so she can see and hear me..) and once she is asleep i usually have a 5-7 hour sleep gap
    I love going into her room and having her smile up at me..its amazing!!
    Me..i went to docs for mine and DDs 6w check up..and it turned into a appt just for me because do cfound some fungus that started growing on me while my immune system was down and my hormones were raging and he also told me my mole is most likely cancerous so next thursday i have to go back for isabells 6w checkup, get my mole cut out..and have my pap (which i dont really want to have, thinking of not getting it done and having it next time, seems a aweful lot to be doing next thursday any way..)

Meg, and others that have wakeful babies, what do you do with them at those times? DS only has short wake times but I'm stumped as to how to keep him from crying/whingeing about it. So the 5pm - 7pm wake is a nightmare of having to carry and bounce him (he hates the sling at that time) and figure out what he wants when he won't sleep but doesn't seem happy awake after about half an hour. he just wants dh to walk and carry him over his shoulder and distract him.

Nettie, how'd you go with the US?

Meg, so happy for you! you sound perky and cool bananas.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast