Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #5

Shellbell:
    Cos Wyatt is sick, my boob's were hugh yesterday he hasn't had a good feed all day and he was fast asleep. So i got out my pump and expressed. However what i forgot to watch was how fast the little bottle filled up. Was off in own world and within 4-5 minutes of me pumping away the 200ml botle was full. Opps!!! So i got out some little sealer glad bags wrote date and into frezeer with it.

So that boob felt good, just enough to take the hurting off still plenty left incase he woke up early. But my left boob was still acing, so on went the pump. I timed this one, it took me 3mins 35sec to fill it to 150ml. Again into bag into the frezeer it went.

I never really expressed with 1#DS. I did a few times when I was too sick, and it took me like 10mins to get 150mls so never bothered. But this time am going to re-think it so I can go out without no children one day. I was so proud of my self.

Question??? How long does Breastmilk last for?? It's in chest frezeer... And how long does it take to defrost??? what is the best way to heat up? In bottle in a container with hot water around it?
    Cheers
    Sarah

Hi Sarah, this is what I've always been told about boob juice:

It can be stored in the freezer for 3 months, best de-frosted slowly at either room temp or in fridge, ok to use for up to 2 days after taking from freezer as long as it isn't heated, and isn't allowed to become warm (so must be still cold when you put it in the fridge if defrosted at room temp) prior to being heated for bubby to drink and must be heated by using warm water, microwaving it will kill the nutrients in it.
    It can be used for a second feed (if not all used) as long as it is kept warm between feedings and not returned to the fridge and re-heated.
    Last edited by BabyWrangler; July 12th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Sarah I have been told that you can keep it for 3 months in a fridge/freezer with it's own door (IYKWIM) and 12 months in the deep freeze. It is best defrosted in the fridge and should be used within 24 hours. It shoudl NEVER be microwaved and can be heated in a container of warm/hot water ( i have a bottle warmer). Once a feed has started any leftovers should be thrown away. My midwife said if all else fails give it to him cold (luke is a piggy who will eat anything!). Yep - once the milk is in I have found it easy to express - 240ml in 15 mins during the day at work (and that is after feed and after expressing the other booby for comfort) - needless to say my boobs are huge!!!

BW can't wait to hear how the farex goes!

Hi all!
    Well we tried Farex tonight and it went really well...I'd been told to make it really runny, but having had 8 years experience of introducing solids, I've actually found thicker is better.
    I made probably about 2-3 teaspoons, mixed with formula, and Benjamin ate most of it.
    He did the usual thing of pushing most of it out each time as he used his tongue to "chew" it, then we started putting in big mouthfuls, which did result in gagging, but also swallowing!
    Will see how long he sleeps, I doubt the length of time will change though!
    Still...was all good...we are set to have "dinner" every night now!
    After a week or so of farex we'll move on to some potato, then some pumpkin and broccoli! (doing fruit last as experience tells me if they have the "Sweet" fruit first, the vegies don't stand a chance!!)
    Last edited by BabyWrangler; July 12th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

BW - that's a good tip about the veggies... I hadn't thought about that!

Sarah - if you check the ABA site, they have the full list of safe storing of EBM - 3 months in freezer (at the back/coldest part of freezer). It's best to defrost in the fridge before warming, but you can directly warm the milk from cold or frozen if you need to. Just put the frozen milk in a bottle (ABA sells the freezer trays which are great for this) and sit the bottle in hot tap water (not boiling water or you may curdle the milk making it useless) until it warms up. Can take about 5 minutes for frozen or cold milk (just to warn you in case bubs is already STARVING and is screaming the house down like Liam does sometimes!).

Liam's given us the shock of our lives tonight by downing nearly 170 mls of formula! Was over the space of an hour or so, but seeing as we were struggling to get him to eat 100 mls, that's amazing! He's also been a bit niggly the last few days and I'm wondering if he's having another growth spurt or is preparing to change routine. I'm hoping this huge feed means he's about to sleep through more than 5-6 hrs at night (only does it occasionally now) or he's about to leave more than 3 hours between feeds. Either way would be wonderful!

I've also made the decision to stop expressing BM over the next couple of weeks (am taking it slow so I don't get mastitis). I'm very proud to have gotten to 3 months, especially when my goal was 2. It's becoming so much harder now and I'm only getting just over one feed a day for him anyway. It's costing more for the pump!

Hope you're all doing well and having a fab weekend. Am sick of the cold already... Makes it hard to give Liam massages and nappy-free time.

Hi. I have been reading some of your posts and noticed a few of you are unsure as to why we are splitting the group. It isn't because it is a large group or anything, it is so we can keep it in line with the March groups and all the groups from May onwards.

So the new groups will be April 1st - 15th and April 16th - 30th - but you are all more than welcome to post across both groups.

so we're being split for the sake of consistency? surely the best interests of our group as a whole should come before the interests of consistency. trillian, do you really think it will be so confusing to have one april group instead of two? i'm sure future bellybelly members will be able to work it out - we're a smart bunch after all! please reconsider!

Hi all,
    Well the Farex intake is going well, Benjamin had some more for dinner tonight.
    The dummy removal, not so well.
    The first couple of days were good but I think that was cause I'd substituted the dummy with patting, but now the patting isn't enough.
    The past 2 days have been awful...making ME cry cause I'm making HIM cry.
    DH heard it tonight at full force and agreed, dummy back....put it in his mouth and he was out like a light.
    So we have agreed that he has it for bed only...so, when we lay him down, he gets it...when we pick him up we take it out first
    I feel a bit better now!!!

sarah the wardrobes sound great, would love to have big enough bedrooms for the boys to have built ins too.
    shellbell glad to hear the 1st week back went ok, and I hope you manage to get your MIL to understand about how precious EBM is.
    BabyWrangler That is great that the farex is going so well, I know from experience too that thicker is better. Bugger that the dummy removal didn't go as smoothly, Oliver usually only has his when he goes to bed or when we are out and he is getting tired, he usually doesn't want it at any other time anyway, just pushes it out with his tongue. As for vegies before sweet foods, totally agree with you, when I had Anthony he would usually have a chocolate or banana custard for his lunch, and of course loved them, he was a shocking eater when it came to trying to get him to eat vegies, Jordan, only ever got vegie's for lunch and dinner up till about 8 months or so (can't remember exactly) and when he started finishing his main evening meal and then wanting more he then got the deserts, he is now a boy who LOVES vegies, they are the first thing on his plate to disappear every night
    Nettie Congrats to making it to 3 months with the BF

I got Oliver to re-settle himself again this morning, so i'm hoping that once he has the hang of it in the morning, he will follow through with the rest of his sleeps. This morning though before I put him back to bed I noticed he had done a poo, so I start changing his nappy, just as I pull the nappy out from under him he decides he has more to do, we got in such a mess, there was '$hit' (literally) everywhere, even all over my hands, Oliver found it quite funny and let me know this by the huge grin he had on his face

Just a quick visit from me.
    Had first night without both kids last night and it was great, spent 3 hours with DH had dinner and cake and coffee then had drinks with friends, got home at 1.30am and DTD for the first time since DD was born.
    Of course my concerns were founded - that is shame about the boobies needing expressing resulting in a sleepless night anyway .
    Sarah 12 months in the deepfreeze. Everything shell said is right about storing breastmilk.
    Shell If your Inlaws think Luke needs extra feeds maybe try adding the farex to the EBM like BW is doing, save that precious milk. Can you give EBM in smaller serves like 60mls so that if he needs a top up there isn't so much wasted? on the 240mls. I only got 120ml on each express that I did without DD around last night. Will be freezing the last 4, discarded the first one as I was drinking red wine when I did that one.

Sharon - we've had 'poo drama' here before too... not pretty! Just remember, we have to do these things so we've got something to embarass them about at their 18th birthday party!!

Grubi - sounds like a wonderful night... lucky you! I'm kinda hoping I get a free pass to see the new Batman movie! I'm a sucker for men in tights...

BW - sounds like you've reached a bit of a compromise with the dummy removal. Maybe you could try again in a few weeks...

Mgm - it certainly sounds like we're splitting for consistency. I'm really bummed because Liam was born on 17th - so we're right in the middle. I find it very beneficial to be reading about the older babies so I can know if Liam's on track with his development or get warnings about issues that may come up for us.

I don't think it will change much anyway as we'll all probably keep posting in both forums, so it will be a moot point... jmo

Hi All! Been busy busy busy online creating a website!

BW, with the farex, watch for constipation. I've also heard that limiting the dummy just for sleep is quite effective. And you can always do the NCSS at a later date should you wish to remove the association.

With the solids, too, fruit is good food for a bfed baby as breast milk is extremely sweet and therefore a taste they appreciate. My daughter drank my milk for a week a month ago when she was sick (cured her overnight) and she couldn't believe how sweet it was. She said it was like caramel icecream, although some days she reported it was less sweet, but still sweet. First solids in many countries is pawpaw, so that's what I'm introducing first. It also contains the most enzymes and helps their digestion. I can't wait until solids time! I'm doing infant led feeding which is new to me, and doesn't involve purees. It is also about how if you don't interfere or force, just offer good choice, the baby will always choose the perfect variety in the right amount for them and it creates a less fussy toddler.

How do you all get your babies to play on the floor? Mine still has a strong moro and doesn't tolerate it. At least it forces me to hold him, case I get lazy. Cos I did promise myself to keep him in-arms until 6 months and it seems DS was listening in utero and will make me keep that promise!

Sarah, the insert, how big is it? How does it work to help them fit in? Ci's feet push through the waist band cos he frog legs until he can straddle. That's the main problem I have with it cos he seems so uncomfortable with it. But I might get it and then resell on ebay or something. Maybe I will even find one on ebay.

Shell, I'll do that then. I've been on pause about it cos I'm not sure how to go about it. But I will eventually build a bank up with that method. if my supply seems to get messed, I'll just cut back on expressing.

I woke today with one breast full! Those who know my plight will know how cool that is. It means he didn't eat as much all night. We changed rooms and found that the room we were in had black (toxic) mold all over the wall behind the cupboard! No wonder he hated even walking in there. Our first night in the family bedroom and he slept like a charm. Woke to feed twice, put himself back to sleep (by moaning). Naps are better too. His ability to self settle is maturing, and he is taking longer naps and only takes 5 minutes to get to sleep. As long as he is actually tired. My kid seems to go against those rules "catch them before overtired". If he isn't really really tired, he takes ages to fall asleep!

Which reminds me. Do your babies moan a lot? Mum reckons babies don't usually do what Ci does. He goes to sleep by moaning! (ooooohhh aaaawwwwwooooohhhhhh) Mum said this morning that he sings so much God help us when he learns the words!

Toni, I know what you mean about massages and nappy free time. Also baths here, cos our heater sucks. I am now taking to sitting on a chair in the sun with Ci with his butt bare and his legs in the sun (good for vit D too, which is low in breast milk). He sits there with me almost still for 30 to 45 mins he loves it so much. I cue him to pee while we're there, too, and he does, which still spins me out. Good job on 3 months of bf, too!
    Last edited by Fire; July 14th, 2008 at 09:26 AM.

Janine - just curious more than anything but did your DD BF of did you express? Also i am curiuos bout the infant led solid introduction, would you mind eloborating? Its still way to cold here in Brisbane bayside to have russell naked for any length of time. i will put him in the sun with out his pants but still in day suit and long sleeve shirt.

Hes also started on some solids as he has been real moody and seems to have done the trick

P.s he talks heaps like all day

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon19270 View Post
    Happy 30th Birthday SG
    Thankyou Sharon!! Yes, I had a fab time. Didn't get in any shopping but ate lots of lovely food and wine, although I just hopped on the scales and I've lost 0.4 for the week, no idea how that happened. So I've lost 2.1 over 4 weeks which I'm mildly satisfied with. Thanks also to mgm, BW and Nettie for your good wishes.

Baxter going great, I think he is starting to master the art of self settling, and it was DH who instigated it! We simply wrap and put dummy in, he talks to himself for a while then goes to sleep. This only happened over the weekend so I'll see how we go today now that DH is back at work.

Sarah - I just wanted to say well done on the expressing, great amount! But Glad snap lock bags aren't recommended apparently, something about the chemicals leaching into the EBM. I use the Medela snap lock bags instead.

Sorry for lack of personals, will try to catch up the rest of the thread, although Fire, please tell me more about infant led feeding? I've read a couple of website about it and it looks far easier than messing about with purees!

SG
    xo

SG it is funny you mention the glad bags as I've been finding more and more of this reference to BPA.

Is anyone else concerned by the marketing of FEED YOUR PRECIOUS BABY SAFELY with BPA Free bottles. Apparently bottles made fromPES plastic, which gives them a natural golden colour are free of phthalates and free of bisphenol A (BPA)? a suspected hormone-disrupting chemical used in polycarbonate plastic, from which most baby bottles are made.
    I'm wondering if it is true and thinking of switching to glass bottles for future feeds, but then I think is it just marketing?? Because they never warned us about using plastic when they started making plastic bottles, or was that because they never knew until recent research - link below.

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org...by-Bottles.pdf

Interested in everyone's thoughts here.

Fire Love the idea of starting them on fruits and pawpaw - yum - mum might be eating the baby's food. The recommended vegies are pumpkin and sweet potato because they are sweet.
    As for DD drinking your milk - thinking I might be giving it to DS and DH as they keep swinging this cold back and forth around our house - if I could knock it on the head with a dose of milk each day - I'll express away. How much did DD have each day?

35 posts till the big split and counting.....
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; July 14th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Fire: If your go back and look at the DVD you should have got when your brought you carrier it explains. However if you have lost if you can look on their website. Their legs are ment to come out the side, and their bum is in line with yout belly button.

How to use and put on the carrier with the insert.
    Instructions - Support - ERGObaby carrier

I don't put my carrier on that way, I do it how the man does in the video,
    My Quick Guide:-
    1. Put carrier on and leave straps lose.
    2. Folder insert in half and put in carrier making sure it is even.
    3. Left baby up and Lower baby down into carrier.
    4. Giggle baby around under we are both comfy, with baby legs slight off to the side. His bum in line with my belly button.
    5. Tighten straps up.
    6. And AWAY WE GO...
    7. Wyatt asleep in 3-5 mintues.

The only thing I don't like to do is bend down to pick up things, 'cos it feels as if he's going to fall out. Anyway I hope the help you fire...

Cheers
    Sarah

Ok...its safe to assume my child is a freak of nature!
    At 3 months and 7 days....he is having 2 meals a day...
    He had farex for dinner last night and the night before, and then this morning he's been a shocker...mucking around, not sleeping (dummy or other wise), not really drinking...playing for a bit then getting festy....looked at DH and said "Only other thing I have left in my arsenal to try...is farex"
    Looked at BJ and said "Lets got have some farex, which you won't eat, then we'll try a bottle which you won't drink, and then a nap which you won't have shall we" to which he just grinned.
    He ate his farex like a pro, had about 70ml of bottle (mucked around a little), then went to sleep!

Im gonna try this reverse psych thing on him more often!
    So...he will have farex for dinner tonight, then, tomorrow morning, he'll have some for brekky, some for lunch, and then some squashed potato for dinner...do that for a coupla days, then I'll do some pumpkin...and away we go!

The MCHN is gonna have a kitten....interestingly enough, the topic for wednesday is "Intorducing Solids" LOL...

Janine - how do you cue him to pee? Do you sit outside or inside (with sun coming in a window) - 'cause the wind is the coldest thing here so just being naked is the problem as the wind cuts right through you - even with the sun on you!

Also, Liam moans too. Especially with his fingers in his mouth. Very funny when he has hiccups as it sounds like 'uh, oh'. He does this more when he's tired. Liam's also one of those babies that won't sleep until he's really tired. You're in for a fight if you try to get him to sleep when he's first showing tired signs. Have to wait until he's actually grizzling before you do the cuddle/rock to sleep thing.

Grubi - the plastics argument is true for us adults too. There's heaps of discussion about the chemicals leeching into our drinking water, etc from the plastic bottes we all use every day. You've got the danger of glass breaking or chipping & bubs swallowing some glass too (happened just this week to another BB member - daughter nearly had to have surgery but luckily the glass just passed through her system). So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing!

BW - wow! I'm starting to wonder if Liam isn't ready for some 'real food' as he just seems to muck about with his bottles a lot lately. He's also hungry within 3 hours still which I'm sure is annoying for him as it is for us. However, I'm not game to try any solids until I see the Cleft Clinic in September as we'll need to do it differently because of his cleft.

Hello to everyone else! hope you're doing fine!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast