Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born August 2007 #4

Default Babies Born August 2007 #4

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in August 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Sherie - [email protected]
    Lea13 - [email protected]

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your Previous thread can be found here

Hi,

Rhi - Good news on the sleep school paying off! That makes sense when u describe it. Willa still hates tummy time and won't sleep on my face down. She'd much rather use me as a recliner/

ALi - so sorry to hear abt Em being fussy again Oh dear. Lets hope this is a phase she'll soon snap out of and start taking her bottles again. Probably a redundant question but has colic or wind been ruled out? Are u using Infants Friend or Brauers or any of the other over the counter formulations? A friend of mine had terrible probs getting her bub to take either breast of bottle for months and months (she was using dropper in the end) and then tried something called Donnalicks (sp?) and she said it was like night and day, baby still was fussy but thrived. Think of it this way, when Em is one year old and as fine as can be, u can look back at this time and marvel at how well u held it together and persevered. I'm sure its going to get better again!

Scone - amazing to think that changing the milk in one meal to soy wld make that much of a difference! I wonder how quickly the food we eats gets transformed into bm? I had a few drinks the other day and was wondering if maybe I should have expressed the milk out for the next few feeds. I'm sorry to hear abt Andrews nan facing that op. Hopefully she'll come out of it in good shape.

Janda - Oh more rolling bubs! I'm so looking forward to that happening for us here, tho I'll start to worry abt using the changetable.

Kim - I could not handle my parents or any other family for 2 months! And i hear ya about feeling odd to let it all hang out when relos are over. I walk around the house with no worries right now but that will change when my mum and dad come to visit, thats for sure. Will feed in baby's room.

So we went to the MInd Body SPirit expo yesterday (minus Willa who was with her nonna for the day). The tarot reader who 'predicted' Willa's birth wasn't there this time so I booked in to see another lady - just a random pick. SHe was a palm reader as well.

Well guess what, apparently I'm going to have ANOTHER baby next august!! A boy this time. This was exactly what the last tarot reader told me last year, right down to the month, but said it was a girl! Maybe they are working off the same manual? lol.

THat is so not happening I can tell you. Financially, emotionally, physically...so not happening. DH reckons I'm starting to buy into all this psychic stuff now. And then he scared me even more by suggesting maybe another baby might not be such a bad idea! Anyway back to reality, I wld like to enjoy the baby I have now before thinking abt expanding the family, thanks very much. Thing is that we have started to DTD. I can't go on the pill as it makes me very ill and I passed on implanon when it was offered to me by my obgyn, so conceiving is always at the back of my mind!

Sonia

sonia, lol at the having a boy next august, maybe you really look like you need to be a mum and they are just adding up the dates August is 9 months from now and 50 50 chance on boy or girl, lol
    You should always express a couple of the feeds after drinking, as your bubs can actually get drunk off your milk. I don't know specifics though, perhaps you should post in the breastfeeding section to find out when to express after feeding

Thanks guys... Just popping in to read and subscribe to this thread. Will pop back in tomorrow and look round!

Have a nice night!

took Em to the dietician yesterday. we finally have some answers!! Em is lactose intolerant and as soon as she had LF formula she stopped fussing!!! we tried reducing the thickener and she had huge reflux all over DH. I'm going to petition the fromula companies to make a LF-AR mixture! it is just so expensive to get the LF and thickener. $30+ per week !!!!!

Sonia, u can get an alcohol tester for BM called 'breastscreen' I have seen some on ebay. that way you wont have to waste milk that is fine or risk giving willa an alcoholic drink. I would b avoiding BD for now if i were u coz believe me it's hard having a little age gap.

Hi all,

Kim no AF here yet either thankfully, but lots of people actually conceive number 2 without af having returned. I have also heard that sometimes if the first bub took a while the second one can be a bit easier.

Ali, that's great news, not on the intolerance, but that you have answers. Did you know that you can get lactose free formula on prescription? My niece was on lactose free and they had a prescription so using a health care card my sis was able to get it for about $5 a can I think, from the chemist.

mite ask the dr on friday. dont like spending tons of money on formula when there's not much diff between normal formulas.

Hai all,

Feeling fresh and lively this morning thanks to Willz skipping her 2am feed, went straight to 4am so mummy has a solid 5 hours sleep. How nice of her

I'm not planning on falling preggers at least for another cpl of years, rest assured. Not keen on going through 4 months of crazy vomiting, let me tell u! I wldnt be able to look after Willa properly and I can forget abt maternity leave so soon again.

Ali, great news about the new diagnosis (not that I'm happy Em's lactose intolerant but now u have answers at least). Been meaning to ask abt formula - is there really little diff between the brands. What abt the gold formulations?

Sonia

Hi all,

am I the only one who didn't get really bad MS.

Sonia, as I understnad it the gold ones are an attempt to make something closer to breast milk as they have produced 1 of the long chain fatty acids that breast milk contains, however there are heaps in BB milk so the gold is the best they can muster. I have been told that when buying formula buy the cheapest one that your baby will drink.

Hello!
    Rebecca - nope, I am also one of the lucky ones who escaped from MS! I didn't have any side-effects except for a bit of heartburn for the last 2 months when I ate too much. Also managed to remain stretch-mark free on the belly (possibly due to Bio Oil, which I religiously used every day)... BUT, have only recently discovered that I have some stretch marks on the underside of my BBs!!! Oh NO!!!! DH said "Oh well, at least no-one will ever see them except me", which I s'pose is true. I am almost ready for bikinis this summer, tho would like to lose the last 4kg sooner rather than later. Am still walking for an hour three times a week with two other mums. We have to go at 8am now that its so hot and sunny, and I have got some baby-suncream for Milla (Sun Sense stuff, recommended by pharmacist)

Have just come home from an ABA Meeting - topic for discussion was meant to be the Billings Method of contraception (all to do with mucous changes...). In my hectic mothers group / walking schedule though, I think the ABA lot will be the first to go, as I don't really feel like I fit in there.. they all have lots of toddlers / little kids running around, there are no other first-time mums, and they spend a lot of time telling everyone how sick their kids have been!!! Now that we have mastered BF, I think I'll wait til I have questions about solids before going back.

Milla is still sleeping in her own bed for up to two hours at a time during the day now that we have got on to the Brauers stuff. I am going to have to buy a new bottle, and look up some info about how long they take it for. Its quite natural - homeopathic etc, but I still don't like the idea of her being reliant on it for too long. I have tried switching to soy milk but that didn't seem to work (although I didn't do it wholeheartely, and I still ate a bit of cheese, and a lemon tart...!)

Night sleeping is still a problem, and I wiiiiiishhhhh I could get a 5 or 6 hour sleep myself. If I went to bed at 7pm that may be possible, but I just can't do that. She sleeps from 7 - 1, and then from 1 - 4, then til 6. Then we are both up.... Long days.

I am staaaarving now, she is asleep, and I need to epilady my legs cos I have been forced in to wearing long trousers to cover up the hair, but its too hot!! So, stuff to do.

Hope you and your bubba's are all well,

Rhi

hi all!!! i'm sitll around just not in here checking u ladies n honestly, i didnt read the previous thread coz there was just TOO much!! so i'll start off with this here thread. was a shocker to see that it was closed!! goes to show how long i was away....

rhi - what is MS? i'm still trying to figure out AF too! lol i must be one of those blur ones in the house....but in anycase, i really hope u get long night sleeps coz it's really a blessing!! ella's been a GEM....she goes down around 8ish n sleeps for abt 7hours so she's up abt 3am or so. but it all depends on what time her last feed was. i was trying to get her to have a feed at 10pm so that she will be down till at least abt 5am but it didnt quite work out. i'm so impressed that u can walk an hour!!! i have to admit that i've been a lazy bum!! the only walks i take is when i have to get something from the asian shop down the road or to the post office which is also down the road. other than that, i'm stuck to the chair at home. ;P i've not attended any mothers group or anything like that coz there are none nearby n the one they have isn't near any public transport n i got no car but its not really bothering me.

neuri - omg!! hahaha...well, if you're ready, why not? u know, i dont plan on getting preg anytime soon either! i'm still not over the birth yet n lemme tell ya, i still get the heebeejeebees when i see ella's head coz i had a mirror in front of me n i saw her head coming out n o boy....i dont think i wanna do that again!! so, #2 is def on hold but we are using the Billings Method n i hope i dont screw up again this time. we have started DTD but it still hurts for me so might have to get KY to help. i think the epi might have made me tighther so DH isnt really complaining!! lol but it is uncomfy for me n puts me off wanting to make love.

kim88 - o we've got TONS of pix too but most of it is blur coz ella moves a lot, so fast! i normally send a CD of pix to my mum every now n then to keep her updated abt ella's growth as she is in malaysia. we're planning on getting a family pic taken b4 xmas coz we got some free voucher in one of those baby bags they gave us at the hosp. was thinking of making my own xmas card with the family pix but dont know if i will be able to manage that AND look out for ella.

i can't believe that our bubs are abt 3mths or so now! time really flies n just the other day i was clearing out ella's cupboard n saw those suits she used to wear as a newborn n it was shocking to see how small she was!! DH keeps telling me to 'lets have another tiny baby!!' as if he was the one doing all pushing! sometimes i miss that small baby but i cant get over how much she has grown! i'm still BF but as much as i'm glad she's thriving, my arms do ache after some time - any one having this problem? is there another way of holding baby so that the arms dont ache so much? i think it's becoz of this that my bb seems to hurt a bit these days - but she is still getting the milk so no worries. i have been diligently expressing n have to admit that they have come in handy. i've got these advent re-usable storage cups n once i've filled up all five, i get rid of the first cup n start all over.

other than that, ella is sleeping well - at least 7hours at night, thank God. she hasnt really started to roll yet n her neck isnt too stiff yet either but she loves her tummy time - not too long though or she starts to whinge. she hasnt started to grab anything yet either but loves to watch tv!! DH calls her little miss square eyes - it's amazing coz no matter how we hold her, she will turn her head to watch tv. scary really but that means that i can leave her on her rocker n do my stuff without needing to entertaint her.

she must be getting big for her bath as well coz these days she loves to fling her arms n legs around that when she is in the bath n does that, half the bath spills out unto my table!! i dont have a bathtub in the bathroom so i dunno how to solve this. btw, my MIL told DH that we should start ella on some baby cereal. u know the really fine ones? anyone done this yet? atm, ella's being bf exclusively n i give her water on some days too. o, btw, anyone giving their bubs orange juice?? my mum was telling me that she used to give us a few drop of fresh orange juice since birth...i havent tried anything like this at all. never heard of such a thing either!

well, gtg now...time for a cuppa! b4 she wakes up....

ps. is anyone experiencing constipation after the delivery??? i seem to be still having it despite drinking a lot of water n taking vegs.

kim88, even if it is freshly squeezed orange? i'm not talking abt the ones u buy from the supermarket.

have decided to give Sarah a break on the TT. when she wants to she will say so coz she can now say wee.

Going to the Dr 4 Em 2morrow so will ask bout scripts. poor Dr is going 2 have lots of questions 2 answer!

Evening, all!

Rhi - God, u guys are so lucky not to have had horrible MS. At times it was so awful I just wanted to crawl into bed and never wake up. Of course this was when it was at its worst. I think i lost 7kg in all and by the end of it, I perfected the art of being able to vomit into a bag under my desk at work, pop in a mint, spray some air freshener and get right back to work! I am equally jealous abt u almost being ready for a bikini. My bikini days are LOOOONG gone. Not that I wore 'em much when I could have. Stupid really, shld have flaunted it all while it was tight and taught heheh. Forgive my ignorance but what is the billing method? I'm willing to try anything other than rhythm method and withdrawal as I get nauseous taking the pill.

mistyeiz - hey, I knew as soon as u used the word 'blur' that u had to be from where I'm from!! What are the odds!!!? I regularly send pics to Malaysia too (though my family is from SIngapore, dad works in M'sia). My mother is hopeless at email. It is hard to believe that they are now 3 mnths huh?? I get the sore arms too and stiff shoulders but somehow I'm just living with it, tho I really shld be using a pillow to support her 6.7kg. Regarding bath time, can u bath her in the shower cubicle? I was having the same 'turbo baby' issues bathing Willz on my kitchen bench top. Now I do it in the tub and she splashes all she wants and then some. As KIm said, now is too early for baby cereal. ALtho my mum also says she was putting some into my bottle at 3 mnths plus to get me to sleep through the night. No idea how well that went! Best to wait at least 5 or 6 months. Also the general advice is not to give citrus fruits or juice until the same age or older as there can be allergy issues as well.

A bit of news that made me smile today - DH's family runs a transport business. They have a fleet of massive semi trailers than do runs to and from Brisbane-Sydney. I found out today that Willa's grandad is going to be emblazoning her name across his new MACK fleet of 16 wheelers!! So any ladies in Brissy or Sydney, if u see a Pedemont Removals truck barreling down the road with WILLAMIRA across the front, that's one of ours!

sonia

Howdy All,

Sonia, gosh, your morning sickness sounds awful.... I was very lucky indeed. I didn't even know I was pg til it was already 8 weeks, and I had to have an ultrasound to find out how pg I was, cause I had no idea when my last AF was (was very very irregular)... so, I practically skipped any 1st trimester stress and MS. Lots of people said to me that "it will be different next time, you'll probably be really really sick" (how nice of them!!).... so I guess I will just have to wait and see.

The Billings Method is a contraceptive / conception method that involves charting your vaginal mucus for your cycle, and identifying your most fertile days from that... its more accurate than the rhythm method, and obviously much kinder to your body (esp if BF) than taking the pill. it encourages women to take more notice of their own reproductive system, and be more in control of their fertility. I've had a look online and there is loads of info about how to do the charts, so I think I will give it a go when I finish BF (it is possible to do while BF but is more complicated I think, plus I don't want another kidlet within a year!) - you should check it out - it makes perfect sense, is all based on science (all to do with your cervix and mucus being hospitable to sperm, or your cervix 'plugging' itself up, so to speak), and heaps of people rave about it. There are a few posts on BB about it I was reading yesterday too.

I'm about to go to bed - a very early night, but I am predicting another 1am & 4am feeding session so I want to get some zzzzz before then.... Just quickly thought I would ask you guys who have expressed BM, how much do you get each time? Or how much per boob? I got 70ml today from one, without going for very long. I'm having a haircut tomorrow and leaving DH to feed Milla for the first time. I will barely be gone two hours, so she 's hardly going to die of starvation anyway, but I thought I would try her on the bottle with DH just to see how she goes. Do you reckon 140ml would be OK, if I express another 70ml first thing in the morning?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rhi x

sonia, billings and shettles methods can work in conjunction. shettles uses basal body temp. u can check out heaos of natural family planning method on www.fertilityfriend.com.au. this is a site that loads of BB members use and I believe is acceptable to post the link to. they will answer any questions u have and provide charts u can use. membership is free.

rhi - well, i normally express b4 i got to bed coz i hate getting up in the middle of the nite to do so when i'm full n ella wakes up abt 3-ish so it gives the bb enuf time to make up bm. i can get abt 70ml or more..sometimess 100mls but depends. sometimes it's just abt 40mls or less too. 140ml should be more than sufficient for one feed. i doubt she will take in more than that. but extra wouldnt hurt - u can keep it if u dont use it. have fun!!

sonia - really???? cool!!! nice to meet a fellow kaki here!! hahaha....we used to live in JB but yea, i know what u mean. thx for the input - i knew i had to wait but MIL was the one who told DH abt it so I just wanted to find out. i'm also putting all juices on hold - i knew it sounded kinda weird. rhi explained the BM very well.

kim88 - thanks for that dear.

Hi

Rhi, glad you didn't get MS, i too had the heartburn but only in the last month. bit dark on your lack of stretchies, and for even being able to contemplate a bikini I'll never be able to wear one without feeling self consious. I used bio oil too, not heaps though, but i did put it in my baths, and I had lots of baths.
    140 ml should be plenty. Xavier can drink anywhere between 100-200ml's in one sitting and you won't be far away, and it won't be her first or last feed for the day.

Misty, glad to hear your still going strong. Xavier watches the TV like that too. lots of bubs like having showers, and it's really easy, better if you have a second pair of hands though. I generally get xavier ready and hand him over to nathan once the water is good. A breast fed baby does not need orange juice or cereal, just milk. introduce cereal around the 5-6 month mark or at the advice of your doc or MCHN. There is plenty of vitamin c in your milk no need for OJ, and it's hard for bubs to digest. Mil mean well but really it has been a long time since they had a bub and so much has changed. My mIL told me she gave nathan jelly when he was 6 weeks old!!
    On your problem I would probably suggest talking to your doc if your still having problems. It could be nothing, but then it can be related to your pelvic floor. 'cause when things aren't in the right spot it blocks your colon iykwim, and could explain why dtd is a little painful too. Good to rule that out as a possibillity becasue it could be really easy to fix.

Sonia lol at your methods of spewing at work. did you ever get caught out mid chuck?? Billings method is mainly on timing and learning what your body does and when. Did you chart to become pregnant?? if so that's basically what it is, if not if you search the net you will be able to find something. A lot of BB members use fertility friend, it has lots of info on the website too.
    How cute will's name will be all over trucks, she will be famous.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast