Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born February 16th-28th 2009 #2

Sorry haven't posted much and might not for a while...just too tired and all over the place. I've been lurking a bit though. Once I get the energy to post I find that I've missed so much and it's hard to catch up and I don't want all my posts to be all me me me! HA like this one...

Tracey, I don't know you but I just wanted to say that Milana is beautiful and she looks so peaceful in that photo - brought tears to my eyes.

Anyway, I hope everyone is going well and bubs are settling in nicely. I'll try and catch up properly tomorrow.

Goodnight all xox

Hi all, we had a better night last night, hopefully same tonight. Maybe its the lovely lavender massage she gets. Em has done well weight wise, worked out to be an average of 32g a day she has gained.

Tracey- she is gorgeous, thanks for sharing, I am thinking of you and hope you are all doing ok.

Laura- Looks like you made it to yr party! Cute pic.

Tarkine- Try get naps in when ever you can. Your right about getting outside, I feel so much better getting fresh air.

OP- Em won't settle herself either, I wait til she is really sleepy then pat her to try go off to sleep, sometimes works, in the evenings nothing works for long we have to carry her round to settle. Don't worry too much about it at this early stage they'll get there eventually.

Heaven- Yr weekend away sounds nice hopefully will be relaxing, prolly do you all good to get away.

Nai- Yay on rolling, Em is nearly there, tries to roll to her right, never tries the other way tho.

Ali- I can understand you being upset. Men somtimes can be inconsideret without meaning to, he prolly just felt he needed some him time without thinking about you needing some quality family time.
    We put Em on her side alot but I put her more towards her back and her arm out so she won't roll onto her tummy. if that makes any sense. She sleeps so much better that way. And don't worry bout DPs family, you need to do whatever you need to do to get thru each day. Whatever works I say.

Holly- Hi. post whenevr you have the energy, hope all is ok and things settle down for you.

Lol I've missed alot desperate housewives writing this post. Em is asleep on my legs. If I lie or sit in bed with my knees bent she sits back in there and I rock my legs and she goes off tgo sleep. Not overly comfortable tho and very hard to type on laptop!

Hi! I am around. I jsut went and spent Thursday night at mums. Then she aksed me if I wanted to go t the beach house with her, so I did. DH met us there. We had a great time.
    Got home yest,
    I have a fair bit to catch up on, and I will later.
    J is still being SUPER clingy. Just dropped him at childcare with him in tears. He also woke up crying last night.
    It breaks my heart seeing him upset

Evening ladies and bubs,

"Woe is me" post... went to the Obs for my 6wk check, she checked out my epi and is very happy with how it has healed, but I have other issues down there... I can't remember what the Obs called them but it is apparently due to "over healing" - I have these little pink lumps, which caused the funny smell I had noticed.

Apparently very common, nothing to worry about. But she had to burn them off with a chemical cauterising stick thing... which hurt.

So now I am sore, again. And to make matters worse, she says no DTD for another week.

DH is very upset by this. I know it sounds ridiculous to some of you who aren't even thinking about sex but its really important for DH - something we've discussed over and over and he's really struggling. Sigh.

Guess I'll have to make an effort to be extra affectionate for the next week...

Meg - a stay at a beach house sounds divine! glad you had a good time.
    OP - That sucks about you "over healing" - I'm sorry your pain has returned and for you and your DH's frustration.
    SJ - How did you express for a week darl? A day and a half did my head in and had me in tears and panicing about not being able to get anything done except feed him, express and then turn around for the next feed!! You deserve a medal mate!!

AFM - Quick question - a few pages back some of you were talking about your bubs who were crying while feeding - so sucking and crying at the same time and jumping on and off the breast all the time. We've had three out of the last 6 feeds like that here today and Mr. J was doing it yesterday in the evening as well - does anyone know why they do it? It didn't seem to be wind and he eventually settles during the feed - usually on the second side. At first yesterday I was worried it was some type of nipple confusion because we'd been giving him half of his feeds from a bottle while I was expressing for 24 hours but he has fed really well since then and is agitated on both sides at times. He is making my fragile left nipple quite sore again! How long does it last?

Kaz- Em still does it and I've found its one of 3 things, a) pain, if I burp her for awhile or bounce her on my lap for awhile she'll feed better, b) If shes been on there awhile and feeding really well I think its cause she has drained it and getting frustrated cause usually then she'll take the other side fine, and c) if she is comfort feeding as she does in evenings she does it cause I think she is full and too much is giving her tummy ache. Its just what I've found since she started doing it so now I can sort of figure out quickly what the problem is.

OP- Sorry to hear bout probs down there, maybe extra cuddles, always other things you can do besides sex. Sex is last thing on my mind! I'm sure the next week will fly by quickly.

Meg- Good to hear from you, beach house sounds great. Hope J settles soon, I'm sure he will. Just hard for you at the moment.

Nothing new here, Em actually settled in bouncer so making most of it. Decided we're gonna try bottle formula tonight and hope she sleeps little bit longer, I need sleep!

Meg - love the sound of the beachhouse.

OP - can you promise DH a pretty darn good time if he waits?

Kaz - Alex gets fussy when he's been on the boob for awhile and he's overtired, but he's never cried while on the boob - its the only thing that shuts him up.

AFM - Alex slept for 3hrs yesterday afternoon, then kept me up most of the night! Two hours was the max sleep - loads of one hour sleeps. Had to go to the hospital for DH's checkup for the stint he did in hospital early feb and waited three hours to be told nothing to worry about. Alex was a good bubs and was cooed over at the hospital. Came home with one side really hard, and expressed 120ml without any problems, so DH is on one feed duty tonight!

Take care girls!

Kaz - that can be caused by reflux. I will come back later and quote from a book *wanders off to get book* Ok - It says that there can be breast refusal because of starting the minipill. There can also be refusal because of reflux. it says if they refuse feeds for more than 12 hours, you should seek medical advice. Hope that helps

Shell - UI will be interested to see if she sleeps longer on formula. I may give it a go too.

tarkine - hoping you get a better night tonight.

DH is on annual leave for a month at the end of next week. Might head up to the other holiday house in Bright. (one house is owned by my parents, the other is owned by my grandparents.) J just has such a good time at the houses. It is also a great stress release.

Sleepy vibes for all.

ETA - Miss E has a terrible cold. Thanks to her big brother.

After my awful day/night yesterday I tried really hard to make today successful.

You see I think my problem has been that I over feed DD as it is the best way to settle her. But its a catch 22 because then by overfeeding she gets so much wind and that stops her from sleeping.

After not being able to get her to sleep yesterday for more than 10min at a time up until 11:45 at night I finally got her to sleep.

We co-slept last night as I was so exhausted!! Both had eyes shut by midnight. Well I woke up to DD's whingin for a feed and to my shock it was 6am!! SHE SLEPT 6 HOURS!!!! I then fed her and she went back to sleep until 9am ANOTHER 3 HOURS!!!! I fed her and then she went back to a light sleep and I fed her at 11:30am. My sister then came over and DD was crying. I was so tempted to feed her to settle her but my sis said it was okay and that she was happy to try and settle her for me (Oh I was so relieved to hear this)! Well it worked even after all that screaming she settled her and got lots of wind out of her and then she left and DD then slept until 2:30pm ANOTHER 2.5 HOURS!! I then fed her and then SIL came over and settled her for me. She slept from 3:30pm- 5:30pm! ANOTHER 2 HOURS!!!

I then fed her and had a bit of trouble with her waking up as soon as I put her down but managed to restrain myself from putting her on the boob as I knew that my sis and SIL could both settle her without resorting to that so I knew I just needed to perservere.

It was hard work and have had lots of almost asleep and then eyes wide open but I finaly put her down 15minutes and she has stayed down!!! (Touch Wood)!!

I feel really proud of myself today and need to give myslef a but also couldnt have done it without my sis and SIL being here to help and show me that it can be done.

Anyway I am so sorry that that was long and "all about me" but I really had to share with someone as I feel it was a big accomplishment for me

Heaven- Bouncing on the fitball really helped me to settle DD.

Oh and I know this is late in the day but........

HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY LAURA!!!

Hope your day was a great one!!

Happy Birthday Laura!! Hope you had a ball at your party!

Ali
    - That is awesome about the feeding and sleeping with Ashlyn. So glad you got a bit of support today too (not saying your DP isn't supportive, just that he is away at work so much). I think you're amazing to be doing this most days and many evenings by yourself! I seem to be unable to settle Jacob very successfully (unless he's going to go straight down after a feed anyway) and I would probably have been doing the same as you (over feeding) except that DP has been home and has been excellent at taking him to settle him to sleep.
    Shell - Thanks mate. Those alternative explanations make a lot of sense. I have been trying to eliminate things it could be and decided that when he does that, I'll either change sides, if its the beginning of the feed or take him off if he has fed reasonably well up to that point (could be too full?).
    Meg - Thanks for the info. I have just started to consider reflux today but don't know much about it and don't know how much possiting and spitting up stuff is 'normal'. Need to investigate/research. Going for another break away sounds unreal. I have started dreaming about a holiday in a tropical location to lie in the sun (need a new body first though LOL!).

AFM - Jacobs feeds have been a bit all over the place. Sometimes he cries straight away and does the on-off thing, other times its at the end and he has taken to getting really upset when I take him off to burp him during feeding, even when he wasn't sucking or was almost asleep Last feed was really good the whole way through until the very end when he fussed again. I fed him twin style on the left which seemed to work. Maybe he only likes lying on his left side? Gave him three goes of on-off and then took him off. He didn't really settle so I put the dummy in. He has been lying in his cot, possited three times in the last hour.

Is anyone else finding that they cannot settle their baby? Jacob tends to just cry with me. I have settled him after feeding on a few occasions but I usually just hand him over to DP or put the dummy in. He gets really worked up - screaming, even after a big feed. I tried him in the sling tonight and he settled for 10 mins and then screamed again. The sling usually works really well with DP. I'm worried about what I'm going to do once DP goes back to work after Easter if I can't settle him. We only use the dummy in the evenings and overnight when needed and I don't want to start relying on it too much. Also, I don't feel like I am getting to know him - I can't decipher what his signals are (although I know the winding up to scream signs!).

hey girls
    just a quickie
    paperwork Again!!!
    Had weigh in today- Levi has now hit 6kg! 13lb 4! So put on nearly 800grams in two weeks. He has also grown 4 cm in this time- what a champ!
    No wonder he is getting heavy for me lol

all good- alothough he is unsettled tonite as i took him out to dinner with me, being sleeping longer stretches at nite- anywhere between 4 to 7 hours one nite - WHOOT!
    The nite that he slept 7 hours- i had DS up sick with high fevers - grrr. AH well Murphy's law!

now we just have to get all this paperwork done so i can get some sleep as well!
    hang in there girls- i will start to get easier soon!

I PROMISE!!!
    mwah

Ah Odette we will all keep hanging onto your posts as the light at the end of the tunnel...!!!!

Well DD is sleeping so I will try and catch up on some personals!

Det - sorry that DS is sick hun. Hope he is better today!

Kaz - Isabel's feeds are all over the place too, don't stress yourself out too much about it, just go with the flow. She had a really bad stint where she would pull off the boob, scream blue murder like I was feeding her pins, then either spill out a whole lot of milk or do the rooting thing (where they mouth and rummage around for the nipple) and reattach herself and start sucking again. I think with her it was possibly two things - either a pain in the tum or possibly getting frustrated waiting for the let down. Like she was impatient.

On the occasions where she did it over and over again I'd persist for a while but if she was really cracking it I'd try the other side. This seemed to work. She did it mostly in the evenings so I think she was possibly looking for more milk but had drained one breast so switching helped.

If its any consolation, Isabel is still a bit mischevious at the breast - when she has finished feeding, if she is particularly awake she will ease herself off the nipple then start poking it with her tongue. Cheeky monkey! But the actual fussing during the feed has passed.

Just checked my Baby Love book for you - she talks about "regurgitation", which used to be known as reflux vomiting. Regurgitation in babies is normal and mostly harmless. She says that the majority of regurgitating babies have no ill effects from their regurgitating. She also says there's no real treatment and that it seems to concern parents more than babies sometimes

She says you should seek professional help if/when the regurgitation is accompanied by other symptoms - vomiting, dry nappies, loss of interest in feeding, weight loss. Hope this helps...

I also asked the MCHN about spitting up milk - Isabel seems to still do it during or after most feeds. The MCHN said it is normal!

Ali - how fantastic about all that sleep! Having your sis and SIL must have been great for your confidence as well - if they can do it, you can do it too. It is so hard figuring out the best way to do things!

I didn't think you could overfeed breast-fed babies though?

Meg - I know what you mean about it being a good stress release - we're thinking about heading down to my in law's beach house for Easter or the week after that and I know it will be relaxing for both DH and me - whenever Isabel is unsettled I will have willing hands there ready to help out.

Tarkine, hope you got some sleep last night. How frustrating about the hospital trip but fantastic that DH is all good!

Shell, how did the formula feed go?

Hmm, Isabel is stirring, she shouldn't be awake for a bit longer... might have to try and settle her...

nai - was that you that sent me a msg?

hope you had a great 21st laura!!!!
    ypu make me feel ooolllllllld !!!

thanks ajp - lol u are looking well umm different... haha

Happy birthday!!!!

Just got back from the Chiro for Miss E, and took J to playgroup. Turns out her Right shoulder is out, so she had some gentle manipulation.

Hot here today, so not sure what we will do this arvo. E has thrush in her mouth. So will have to make a trip to the chemist.

BBL E is crying, and J wnats his lunch

Nai- How clever of Juliette rolling over!!!!
    Ali- IKWYM, it takes so long to get organised to go anywhere! And just when you think you're ready they need a nappy change or a feed! I give DD the boob to settle her too, lol, no wonder she's such a chub. But sometimes it's the only way, if she's not being fussy that is. Yay for your sis and SIL, what a big help!
    Holly- lol, I find it hard to keep up too, hope you're feeling a bit better and got some sleep
    Shell- I hope you got some more sleep last night!
    Meg- Yay for DH having leave for a month! That will be so good for you!
    OP- Bummer about no DTD for another week, hope it gets better quick for you!
    Kaz- Oh expressing for a wk was hard! So lucky I had DH here to do everything else, lol, so I could fit it in. Between steralising and feeding and expressing that's about all I did!! So glad it healed before he went back to work!! I don't know about the fussing at the breast, DD is still doing it and it's so frustrating!! When I went to the MCHN today there were lots of ppl there with bubs about the same age and I heard them talking saying the same thing is happening to them, lets hope it's just a phase. It usually happens on the second side with DD so I'm thinking maybe she's had enough and just wants to comfort suck and the flow is too fast for her coz when she comes off milk goes everywhere. But it's hard to know bc sometimes she's still looking for it so I feel like I'm starving her, lol. But I spose if she was really hungry she would take it.
    I also felt exactly the same as you with the settling. After the cs I couldn't do much so DH was doing all the settling and then I felt like I couldn't do it and he could do it so much better. But by the time he went back to work (after 3 wks) I was feeling a lot better and found it wasn't as bad as I thought and I could do it. I was really worried too and used to cry to DH thinking I wouldn't cope with him at work. So try not to worry, you will be fine!! Promise.
    tarkine- that's great news about your DH!!
    det- Yay, what a great weight gain!

Went to the MCHN today and DD has put on another 220g this week so going well! Now if she would just quit it with the fussy feeding!!

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast