Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born February 16th-28th 2009 #2

Happy birthday!!!!

Just got back from the Chiro for Miss E, and took J to playgroup. Turns out her Right shoulder is out, so she had some gentle manipulation.

Hi girls, went to the MCHN today and Ash has put on 240grams in 10 days. She is now 4.23Kg. SH ehas also grown to 56cm (4.5cm in 3 weeks). She is inthe 95th percentile for height so I think she is going to be a tall girl like her dad.

In regards to the feeding it wasnt so much that she was overfeeding but she was 'snacking' too much and therefore more often and its a bad habit to get in to if she continues that way. THE MCHN told me not to worry about rocking her to sleep, cuddling, etc yet, its by about 3 months that you need to get them out of that habit as that is when habits will start.

OP- i have the Baby Love book as well. Havnet read it yet, but heard good things about it. Hope that you heal up down there soon but not overheal again! Just make sure you keep tellin gDH how much you love him and tell him it wont be long. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Kaz- I think the settling thing is just a patience thing. Today I have really had to just be patient with the settling as I'm on my own again but at least I now know that it can be done. Just enjoy make the most of DP while he is home. How is the fluid thing going? Any prgoress on healing?

Meg- Hope Miss E's thrush clears up. Do you know how they get thrush??? Is it something we eat that off balances their systems or can it just happen?

Jols- you do look quiite different today!!!

Det- I love your positive posts! Thankyou

Ali- Ash used to be like that, snacking constantly and it did eventually get to a point where i couldn't go out and leave her cause she was so dependent on the breast to settle. That why this time I do whatever else, dummy, rocking etc cause at least anyone can do that whereas only you can do the breast settling. yay on the big sleep last night!

meg- Hopefully going to the chiro will make her more settled. How has the nights been? We're having an at home day today, don't want to go out in the hot, tho its not overly hot.

Heaven- Thats a nice weight gain, thats about what Em puts on in a week. Nice to see it cause then you know your milk is doing good!

AJP- yes love the new look!

Det- I'm looking forward to a 7 hour stint, tho I'll prolly end up laying there listening to her breath and worry if she is ok!

Kaz- Try not to stress too much, you'll be fine, just take each time at a time, sometimes what works one day won't work the next, Em some days settles well and days like today needed alot help. I try all different things, rocker, battery operated swing, my hugabub, pram, patting her bottom in the bassinet, dummy. Remember if you feel anxious he may feel it so just try be calm and relaxed and see how it goes. Don't think you can't do it, tell yourself you can! It does take awhile to learn what they want, i do find it a bit easier 2nd time around, with Ash i had no idea, so I used to chuck her on the boob anytime she cried!

Tarkine- Hopefully he'll have more of those 3 hr sleeps and hopefully overnight for you!

Well Em slept from 7 til 10:30 last night so only gave 50mls formula and rest breast casue thought my boobs will pop if I don't feed her. I'm just relieved she took it no probs, Ash flat out refused bottle til she was 9mths and I ended up getting really down and felt trapped with it cause it meant I could not have anytime out to myself, and cause she used boob to settle as well if I did ever leave the house without her it was for like 2 hours max. So we'll prolly give it to her every few nigts just to keep her used to it. So glad she had no probs, such relief! She then slept til 2:30 then til 6:30 so good night.

lots of lurking but not much energy to post!!
    off to have millie weighed today so be back later, also taking sophie to dr's as she has ringworm AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

had millie weighed,shes
    5.0kg
    37.5 head
    57.5 length

Hi girls,
    It looks like we are all just exhausted and probably everyday feels like Groundhog Day at the moment. I know I woke up this mornig with no idea what day of the week it was and had to ask DP 3 times if it was garbage bin day. Brain is a little mushed!
    to us all.
    Well since I have been strict with myslef about this feeding business and not letting DD feed unless it has been 3 hours (gee I'm mean), things have been going well. Last night she slept midnight until 6am which was fantastic. If I can get one decent sleep like that each night then I will be a happy.
    I even got out of the house this arvo (BY MYSELF) and went to the shops for 2 hours! I bought a new DVD player I can watch dvd's now, a new iron and a top! MIL came over to babysit for me.

Jols- great stats on Millie! Ash is almost up to her and she is 3 weeks behind her!!! Crazzy! I am going to have a tall little girl I think! Its amazing how quickly they grow. Hope Sophie is being good as well.

Shell- That is great that Em took the bottle. I must remember to try Miss A on the bottle soon.

to everyone else.

Question- when does the fontanel thing close over?

Hi All, I haven't had internet for a few days so am just off to catch up on all the happenings - will respond properly soon.

Ok - had a quick read through

OP - sounds like a granuloma which is what Miss J has on her belly button. She got hers burnt off on Monday but it is still there so she is going back next Monday

Big woohoo for us - DP and I went to the movies Monday night and my mum looked after the 2 girls. Miss J slept from 8pm - 2am which was great. It was so good to get out. Not much else going on except that I have my 6 week check up tomorrow. DP is champing at the bit to get some DTD action but I don't think he will be getting any just yet as I still have some discharge (sorry TMI).
    Last edited by Nai; April 2nd, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Ali - think the fontenal thingie hardens up about 12mths or something like that.

Laura - sorry wished you verbally happy 21st but didn't type it! DOH!!!!

Nai - Congrats on getting out to the movies WOOT!!

Sounds like we have a bunch of porker babies (which is a good thing!).

AFM - woke up this morning at 4.30am to have a shower, was soaking with breastmilk. Went back to bed about 7.30am and woke at 11.30am to find no DH in bed, and then looked and found no baby in the room and then looked at the clock - went into the lounge and found the two boys sitting on the lounge, having downed a bottle of breastmilk (well the little one had been doing all the drinking), so I'm a happy camper. We had to change around the feed/play/sleep cycle - we change the nappy when DS wakes, instead of 1/2 way thru the feed, coz I couldn't get him settled afterwards. I admire you girls being able to keep them to 3 hrs - after 2hrs my bbs just go crazy and hard, milk goes everywhere and I'm looking for bubs to do his job!! Went around the MILs place today and she was like gimme gimme gimme with bubs - no problems there - she had been interstate and hadn't seen him for two weeks - told her he was ready to start high school, she'd be gone for so long!!

Take care girls.. wishing you a decent sleep!

Evening ladies

Yawn, should be toddling off to bed but DH has just put Grey's on so I'm sitting watching it instead of zzzzzzzz.............

Tarkine, that was a nice surprise - your boys having some quality time Glad you made the most of it!

Nai - awesome on the movies. Told MIL and FIL we need them to babysit in May for a hens/bucks that we have both been invited to, might do a movie or something before then as a trial run! Also totally understand about the DTD thing... I still have discharge too, which is apparently due to the over-healing. Granuloma sounds familiar... I have had to promise DH we will DTD Weds, Thurs and Friday to make up for his patience. He is being pretty good about it...

Ali, YAY on the new stuff and the sleep and the feeds!!! You are sounding much more relaxed about things in general That's fantastic.

AJP, nice work on the weight gains!

Shell - that's great about the bottle. DH gave Isabel one this morning too, which she guzzled down and looked for more! Woo. Mummy might be able to have some time to herself yet

Meg - saw your other thread but didn't post there - big for you. Hope you are feeling better hun. We are all here for you!!!

i have a bad feeling AF is on her way, and boy do i hope im veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery wrong

nai yay on the movies!!! what did you see???

ali how are the breastpads going?? its nice o go out without taking bubs along! makes things alot quicker!!

tarkine yippeeeeee on the sleep!! bet you felt like a new woman!!! my boobs are soft and saggy even after 5 hours now!!!

op i have a skintag down there from sophies birth, will get looked at next week at checkup!!

went to bed at 9pm ,last night, millie went down at 7.15, fed at 1am then 5.45!! so only up once lst night! woot

Morning ladies,

Quick check in while DD is still asleep. After Isabel went down last night finally at about 11pm, she slept thru til about 5.15am which is awesome. Fed her in bed and back to sleep by 6am, it is now 8.45am.

But AJP - how are you getting Millie down so early in the evening??? Isabel just does not want to sleep between about 7pm and 10 or 11pm. Its like her witching period - she just cries cries cries until someone picks her up, then settles, then wakes and wants to feed, then cries more!

We really want to get her to sleep at 7pm... I guess we just need to give it more time?

Also are you one of the few people who actually ovulate while BF??? Interesting! My sister still has not ovulated and my niece is now 9mths old. She wanted to be pg by now so is really frustrated that she isn't!

Hope everyone has a good day today! DD and I are off into the city to meet friends for lunch today. Have had a few days at home so I'm over it!

op not sure how we get her down, though i do admit ive never had witching times with either girls, last night she slept in the sling til 6pm she woke, fed, had a bath with sophie, fed again then into bed at 7.15pm. some nights its later.
    i hope im wrong about af, i didnt get it back til sophie was 9 months last time, hoping for the samw this time
    have a great lunch today!

We had most the arvo witching hours yesterday and of course its the day Df had parent teacher so he wasn't home til 9:30. Thank god for the hugabub, only thing that saved my sanity, miss E just wanted to grizzle and be miserable.

AJP- Yay on millies weight, I hope AF isn't coming back, that'd suck getting it so soon this time! With Ash I remember mine coming once I'd dropped to 3 feeds a day.

OP- Em too often doesn't settle til 10ish at night, some nights she setlles earlier but average is about 10pm. Most evenings now I do our bedtime routine bout 7:45 then feed her, get comfortable in front of tv and cuddle her for a long while to get her into deep sleep.

tarkine- Looks like you have plenty milk, all those feeding frenzies he has prolly helped it along, is he getting a little more settled for you?

Nai- What movie did you see? Its great you got out, I think I'd be too tired to go out in the evenings anyway! Need to see a day movie I think, lol.

Ali- Thats great she'll spread out to 3hrs, I find during day Em will but later in evening its more like 2hrly, filling up i think before bed. DVD player be good, you can cuddle up with Ash and watch movies.

Got soaked this morn, we went to gymbaroo hot came out and the storm had arrived, running to the car with Ash and Em in the sling.
    She spreading her feeds overnight to 4hrly now, just annoying when she wakes in between trying to fart!
    Very happy Df is on school holidays now, have him home for next 2 weeks! yay, esp since we are going thru that 5-6 week mark that supposed to be the hardest.

Odette - fantastic weight gain hun!! I love how positive you are too. Makes me feel like we'll all get there in the end.
    OP - Thanks so much for your post. It's good to hear that other babies the same age have been doing the same thing. Jacob also does that playing with the nipple thing but he can do it anytime during a feed. I know it will pass - has only been going for a week or less really but does seem to be getting worse! How was the city and catching up with your mates?
    Meg - for the thrush. I know what a PITA it is. We are still treating DS and myself because his bum hasn't cleared up yet and I don't want it coming back!
    SJ - Thanks for your support darl. 220g gain is fantastic!! So the fussing at the feeds hasn't stopped her putting on weight which is good to hear because it's what I'm mainly concerned about.
    Ali - Great that you got out of the house and went shopping for yourself! It makes all the difference in the world. With the settling stuff, I guess we are both learning how to do it. I have had more success the past couple of days but usually after a feed and with the dummy and cuddles. It's good to finally be able to cuddle him without him screaming and if the dummy has achieved that then whoohoo for dummies I say! The fontanelles take a while to close over I think - not exactly sure but could be a couple of months or more. I still have fluid sitting in my belly but the good news is that my legs have returned to normal and my feet can wear shoes again!
    Shell - Were you giving Em the bottle to make sure she'd take it? I've heard that some bf babies won't take it. That must have been so frustrating last time with DD1. Great that DP is home for the next fortnight. Hopefully you'll get some afternoon sleeps in now?
    AJP - Fantastic weight for your DD! I hope you're looking after yourself - are you taking iron supplements? My heamoglobin has come up to 113 but I still get so tired!
    Laura - How was your party?? Great photo hun! You look hot! How is the bf'ing going?

AFM - I think DS is the only non-porker here. He was still 20gm below his birth weight at 2 weeks 2 days old and then yesterday had only put on another 120gm (in 6 days). They want to keep weighing him weekly, which I'm happy with. The MCHNs are all saying positive things like "well it's a gain" and "you're doing really well" or my fave "you're trying really hard" but they've both said "hopefully next week we'll see a little more". How to put the pressure on!! So now he's being weighed again next Wed. The weeks are only 6 days long! It's hard when he is fussing so much - now on both sides some feeds worse than others. We had a nightmare night last night with him being unsettled and this last feed started at 3:50pm, he screamed and would not suck, even on the dummy at times (last fed at 12:30pm so should have been hungry). Left him for a while, tried each time he settled, eventually he fed at 4:50pm but it was reasonably short. Put him down. He then possited about 20 mins later and wouldn't re-settle so I broke the 2 hour thing and fed him again at 5:50pm and he had another shortish feed and has been reasonably settled since. I've put the fan on in our room (quite hot here today) hoping the background noise would help. I can't see how he can still put on weight with shorter feeds, possiting a lot and expending all that energy screaming.

Phew - sorry for the long me me me rant but I'm struggling at the moment. More teary the past few days and less patient with Jacob when he is fussing and not feeding properly. Sometimes we both end up in tears!

All, selfish question - Isabel is 6 weeks 2 days, today once she woke at 9 I fed her, changed and dressed her, at about 10 she seemed ready for sleeping so put her down - normal so far.

She grizzled for a bit then slept... went into the city and she slept all the way in, put her in the pram and she slept until close to 2.30pm

She had a half-hearted feed, then we took her home. Stopped to get something from Target and Coles near home, she fed a little and we changed her at the shopping centre, then she went back to sleep and slept all round the shops - about an hour. Then we came home - she grizzled a bit on the way home, I fed her one side when we got home and she fell asleep again. An hour later I fed her the other side and she's now asleep again.

She's pretty much been asleep all day, since about 10am. Any one else had something like this? Is it ok?

Her nappies have been normal... wet and pooey still... but she's just been so sleepy.

Is this ok? Growth spurt maybe??? She's never slept this much during the day before...

shell boy did it rain today we had soooooo much the rd was flooded
    lucky duck having DP home, or is is it

kaz i was thinking about you today and wondering how your fluid was going and if it was going, glad to hear it is.
    like you said a gain is a gain, its hard when they fuss and i wouldnt worry about not feeding 2 hourly, id do it if he needs its, millie has feed 2 hourly today. i have also had to use the dummy more, not that i want to but millie jsut loves to suck her hands.

op millie has done the same today, slept allllll day sometimes she has only lasted 40 mins before going back to bed not sure why either but i liked it as did sophie
    sophie always slept more when she had a growth spurt

Kaz, hun, sorry its getting difficult with J.

Anyway just wanted to say keep doing what you are doing... if its any help, I demand feed and when I say demand I mean demand... if she wants it hourly, she gets it hourly.

Oh and as for catching up with my mates, the two I was having lunch with stood me up - one of them let me know at 9am but I went in anyway as I was meeting other friends before and after the organized lunch, but the second one messaged me at ten to twelve (due to meet at 12.30pm) and said "Been called into a meeting, don't know what time it will finish and don't want to stuff you around or make you get wet so let's leave it".

Like hello... does she have any idea how much of an effort it was to get into the city, in the rain, with a six week old?? Sigh.

AJP nice to know it isn't just Isabel... we were a bit worried that she's sick or something but nappies are ok so...

Shell - yay for hols! Enjoy having DF home I know, how bad was the rain today! Saw an accident between a tram, a bus and two cars... there were fire trucks, ambos and police all attending. Looked bad...

AJP and OP - Yeah I'd been thinking about not watching the 2 hourly thing so much while he's being so fussy and unsettled at the feeds. So far, he hasn't really demanded feeding much before then anyway and sometimes he can take an hour to feed, change, burp, top up and settle anyway so it's only another hour or a bit less before I'm potentially feeding again anyway.

I would probably worry if Jacob slept that long in a day too - mainly because I'm getting it drilled into me that he needs to feed 6-8 times at least (for almost a week he fed 7 times a day every day - that changed yesterday though) and the MCHN were encouraging me to fit in another feed - I was like, when? Anyway - I bet they don't do it tomorrow!!

OP - that really sucks that you got stood up!! Obviously your mate doesn't realise how much effort it is to get into the city with a 6 week old!
    AJP - I don't really like the dummy either but Jacob came out and sucked his fingers and it seems to be the only thing that will calm him down sometimes. We have used it heaps the last couple of days but about an hour ago he kept spitting it out and crying. The last time he did it, I was in the bathroom and couldn't get there straight away. By the time I went in to him a few mins later he was fast asleep and has been ever since I keep holding to the mantra that you can't give them bad habits this young. If he's still relying on it so heavily to settle in a few months time we might re-look at it.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast