Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2006 #3

Snowy - Berlin? OMG, LoveParade is today, hope you arent too close to the city. Dh really wanted to go this year (he went in 2003, and loved it), but i said i couldnt be bothered, and i didnt want to leave Ben for so long. Seeing it on Tv today, im glad we didnt go. Maybe next year though.

Teena - I hope you are having fun in Europe!

Last night Bjoern and I went to a friends place for a BBQ, and left Ben at the in-laws for the night. they didnt have any problems, and when we came to get him in the morning, Ben couldnt care less. Im so glad he isnt so attached to dh and I, means we can go out and enjoy ourselves without having to worry.

I hope you are all well!!

yes... loveparade is on! I didn't realise... cause last year, when we still lived in Berlin, they cancelled it and I thought it was the end of an aera... apparently not
    we are in Berlin-Mitte, but far away enough from the actual parade so we can't hear it. I went in 1997 (OMG - that is 9 years ago... I feel old now!)... that's it for me I think... can't stand the crowds these days.

We had Zara's christening today and it was just beautiful. Everyone was just so impressed with the church service (lovely female priest who did it in English and German) and we had a lovely day.
    Kids are in bed now, hotel has LAN and we brought the laptop and no one seems to come to give me a break from babysitting, so am stuck in the room while everyone else is boozing it up in the hotel lobby...

Snowy

I dont know if i could handle the LoveParade now. We were going to go last year, but of course it wasnt on. Reason it hasnt been for the past 2 years is that it has turned from a demonstration into a Public event, couldnt afford it and they couldnt get any sponsors for it. But this year, McFit decided they want to be the main sponsor, so it is on again. It would be a shame for it to stop.
    Im happy to hear the christening went well. Our priest originally said that he would do Ben's half English half German, but on the day, there wasnt one English word said. Was a bit dissapointing, but i suppose the ceremony was for Dh's family really, who dont speak English. Ahwell.

Hey there guys,

quick pop in to say gday! Things with Bonnie are a million times better now she is on the hyper-allergenic forumla.... she is thriving both in weight and is contented - FINALLY! What a hellish couple of months we had there.

She's 5 months next week - not rolling yet, but loves to stand, and I reckon will sit unsupported sooner rather than later. She's a busy body who likes attention, action and fun - not one to sit quietely playing by herself

I can hear her crying to get up now, so I must go!

Sorry it's so short, will pop in again soon.

xx

Hi everyone,
    its us - hello from Switzerland! Its so nice and warm here and so peaceful! We went to Germany for lunch today and yesterday we went to Austria which was also lovely.
    Getting a tan YAY and Allegra has been pretty good considering i have dragged her across the globe. Flight went well thankfully - she is suffering from her teeth so much but she will be ok hopefully in a few days.
    Anyway dinner is ready I'll log in again soon. We leave for Italy on Wednesday which should be fun - cant wait for some good food.. no offence to the Germans etc but they can design cars but there food is ordinary!
    T and A xx

Teena- Yay....glad your having a great time, and glad to hear Allegra is doing well.
    What's that about german food....I love German food (actually miss it).....hehehehe Suppose it depends what you grow up with and are use to

Have fun on the rest of your trip sweety!!!!!

Apple- That's great that Bonnie is doing well

Us- KAYLA SAT ON HER OWN LAST NIGHT AND THIS MORNING Yay for my little girl. She won't roll, yet she will sit, LOL.

Congratulations Nadine! Thats fantastic. Isnt strange how we feel so proud of our child (ren) when they do the "smallest thing" (according to non-parents). Lately Ben has started to hold his bottle by himself, dh and I are so proud of him.

The other day, on a visit to the physio, she mentioned Ben seemed like he was teething (he was sucking on both thumbs). I told her he doesnt have any teeth, but I thought one might come up soon. The next day, i noticed his bottom left tooth is poking through. So cute. Surprisingly he doesnt really seem to be "teething", the only symptom he has is a little bit of runny poo (and extra drool), but thats it. Maybe it comes a little bit later?? (the grumpyness??)

Teena - i really hope you are having a fantastic time. We had an extremely hot day (for western Europe that is) yesterday. Was about 35 degrees in some parts. the record was broken in the Uk for the hottest day. Not sure about Germany, i havent watched the German news this morning yet. I didnt leave the house yesterday, as soon as i stepped out i was soaking with sweat.

Emma - Ben loves to stand too! Im so glad Bonnie is really happy now.

no offence taken, Teena. German food is not really that great... though we know our bread, beer and sausages oh and cakes... yummm, apple strudle ...

yep, very hot here in London indeed... melting ... supposedly it was 52 deg on busses and 47 deg on the tube. apparently we also made Aussie news (I think they are making fun of the Brits - I know a 35 deg day is nothing special in Oz but over here it's a huge thing, apparently the weather cards didn't go past 32 deg in the UK and needed to be adjusted).
    it's supposed to get a big cooler though which is good as Zara is not handling the heat very well at all... very whingey lately - or maybe something else is bothering her... hard to say
    well, zara has been so 'grabby' that I have decided to try some solids. she had some apple puree yesterday and the day before and she seemed to really enjoy it. i have also given her a bottle of formula as I slowly want to cut down breastfeeds

Wolf has been very good with Zara lately - so cute. And she laughs her head off when he does silly things for her. I love it!

Nadine - yeah on Kayla sitting!! Woohoo! Zara can sorta sit but it's just her belly keeping her upright and not her stomach muscles I think (aka she leans forward) but I think she is not far from sitting properly soon

Emma - very happy to hear things are better with the new formula!

Katie - funny re, the priest. we had the opposite: Our priest asked me what she should say in English and I said just the greeting and then she ended up doing almost everything 50/50

Well, I better shower and go to the Diana Memorial Park with Wolf and Zara before it gets too hot!

Snowy

haha Snowy, isnt it so funny the Brits complaing about the weather. The other day i was talking to FIL, and he said "Victoria doesnt get hotter than it is now, does it?" I just laughed and explained that that particular day is normal in Summer in Oz. I sware it was only 30 degrees that day. He couldnt believe it. I walk around in jeans and a t-shirt, whilst everyone else is walking around in barely nothing, thinking im mental.

Im also obsessed with sunscreen, which im told is crazy. Our neighbours sit outside in the direct sunlight ALL DAY in their underwear, EVERY DAY, and here i am thinking they are crazy and stupid. I am so aware of skin cancer (after my mum had a scare), and sun stroke (after a stupid day at the beach a couple of years ago), i cant help but be outraged at some peoples careless sun behaviour.

I was watching BBC news yesterday, they reported they had hit the 35 degree mark, new record! I have only had one Australian Summer in 5 years, but i still laugh at the euro weather reports "Its going to be a warm one tomorrow, 15 degrees". classic. THEN you go back to Australian Winter to "OMG, it was 1 degree this morning!!".

lol
    yes - I so know what you mean ... MIL called in April or May when it was so cold in Europe (low teens - remember?) and she was like "Oh, it's FREEZING here in Sydney" ... I looked at the weather on the web and it was 19 deg there ... lol. Told her to shut up that it was 16 deg here and the Brits were crackin out the T-shirts!

I know... Europeans are crap re. sunscreen. But then again you don't really burn in 1/2 hour as you do in Oz, so I think people are less worried (which is stupid as even without sunburn you can damage your skin). I think Australians have become super aware through lots of government campaigns (Slip Slop Slap) due to skin cancer being the largest killer in Oz now (though it is on the rise in Europe as well.. )

Our nanny is from Perth and she has stunned everyone here in UK and in Germany by wearing jeans throughout June. She only recently cracked out the shorts when the temperatures went above 30 deg.

I must say I LOVE this weather - it does remind me of Oz so much. Usually European summers are barely in the high 20s and then usually interspersed with a week of rain. But everyone around me whinges about how HOT it is... but if it cools down and rains they will be *****ing as well.. doh!

We went swimming today at the gym (no outdoor pool nearby - bummer). They have an open parent/baby swim every Wed/Fri & Sun from 3-4 p.m. We took Zara with us for the first time. I was worried as she never even liked bathing much but to my surprise she did not cry at all - even though the pool is only 27 deg (Wolf's babyswimming pool was heated to 35 deg - i.e. pee warm). She wasn't phased at all and just let us pull her through the water. She did not kick much but looked quite happy and curious. So cool! DH also went under water with her. (you blow on their face before you go under water to trigger the reflex that closes the gullet) She liked that too. She was so cute!
    Wolf is a total pro in the water. He kicks really well now - I think when we are back in Oz in November I will take him to lessons at the pool in Manly. He also loves to stand on those foam kick boards. He can actually keep his balance! Maybe a surfer in the making?
    Looking fwd to going again with both kids on Wednesday!

Snowy

PS
    Zara is 5 months today! Woohoo!
    Started her on fruit purees and she also grabbed some bread during dinner and I let her suck on it (think she did swallow some of it) - she loved it! So cute!
    Last edited by Trillian; July 27th, 2006 at 08:08 AM. Reason: two posts in a row

HAPPY 5 MONTHS ZARA

Happy 5 months for yesterday Zara. Ben is 5 months tomorrow. my goodness how time flies!
    well, we leave for Munich tomorrow. Im worried we will forget something, and knowing me, I will take a whole boot load of unnecessary things (and our boot is HUGE).

Dh and I are going to start Ben on solids when we return from Munich. We are both looking forward to it (and im sure Ben is too!).

How is everyone? I hope you are all fit and healthy.

Nothing much to report, Ben's tooth is still ok, as far as we know, he isnt bothered about it. Yesterday he was really cranky in the morning, but after a bottle and nap, he was right as rain (thank goodness!).

Must go start packing.
    Take care!!!

ohhhh, and i forgot to mention. Im down to my pre-pregnany weight!! Well, my old jeans still dont fit properly, BUT, i can do them up. But i have a bit to go until i reach my goal (65). You know, getting gallstones has seriously been a blessing in disguise. Now take-away and fried foods are definately not an option, otherwise i get serious pains in my stomach... SO, i think i will put off my operation for another month or so. If i eat healthy, they wont get in the way.

yeah on being back to pre=pregnancy weight!
    I dunno what I weight I am right now but a few weeks back I was 2kg away from pre-Zara (which is 7kg away from pre-Wolf *sigh*)

YAY Katie for being beack to your pre- pregnancy weight

Was going to ask....where abouts in Germany do you live? What's the closest big city?

DH and I are planning on going over next year to visit relatives and just for a holiday, as he hasn't been there yet and I would like him to see where I lived. I also want to see other parts of the country I haven't yet seen etc. Anyway......would love to meet up with you if you were interested?

We haven't set the trip in stone yet, but it's definately a possibility.

Nadine, I live in Ibbenbüren (North-west Germany). If you look at a map, you might be able to see Osnabrück, which is 20 min drive from here. We are really close to the Netherlands border. I would love to meet up with you if you do end up coming. Im sure Ben will love to play with Kayla. I suppose the closest BIG city is Cologne (about 2 hours).

Well, we just returned home from Munich. We had a brilliant time!! Its so beautiful down south, i think we will try to return there again over new years. But, Petrol is so EXPENSIVE! I think we used 1 and a half tanks just to get there, and ended up spending about €300 on fuel, which is approx $550 or so. Stupid. We also went to Austria, that was wonderful! I feel so relaxed after it.

Ben was an angel. He now has both bottom teeth, and had his first solids today!

i hope you are all well!!!!

We're so quiet recently! I hope everyone is well and is enjoying their babies.
    Just wanted to post quickly that we are heading to Germany for 2 weeks, so I won't be online much. We will also pick up the key for our swiss home.

Zara has been loving her solids. We've had rice with zucchini the last 2 days and she gobbled it up like it was going out of fashion. We've had potatoe and carrots, potatoe and broccoli, potatoe and cauliflower, potatoe and avocado and just plain potatoe. All been popular. She's a great little eater.

Today she rolled from her belly back onto her back - but whacked her head on the floor doing it and was very upset. I remember Wolf did that as well and it took a while before he could roll smoothly back onto his back.
    She loves being on her belly. Everytime I put her down, she immediately rolls onto her belly and then kicks around like she is swimming on dry land or pushes her upper body up really high. So cute. She has also tried to lift her bum ... oh, it will be very stressful when she can move around!!! It's so nice at the moment to know that if I leave her somewhere, she will still be there when I get back (albeit in a slightly different position, lol) I think we will need to get the playpen out once she can move around so she doesn't get into Wolf's toys.

Snowy

Hello there my Feb mummy buddies!

Can't believe it's been 2 months since I last logged in!
    ANyway I'm now back work 2.5 days a week which has been interesting. Am having a bit of a drama there with the expressing and break times or lack of but will continue with pushing for what I'm entitled to. Kahlani is thriving Aand was 6.2kg (1.88kg at birth) and 63.5cm (44cm) at 6 months. She isn't fussed on rolling and will only go from tummy to back when naked on our bed. Night sleeping has been a bit of an issue until I made a GP appt and we then had 3 great nights in a row. Tomorrow DH and I are off to the footy so my mum will look after Kahlani.

Sounds like Zara loves those solids Julia!
    Go those teeth Ben. Hope they didn't give you too much grief.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast