Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2006 #3

hello everyone,
    Ben is having his afternoon nap now, which normally lasts about 2 hours, so i finally have time to post.

So sad about Steve Irwin, isnt it? I wasnt a real "fan", but i was so shocked and actually very upset.

Snowy - Im glad Zara is doing better now, i hope she recovers quickly! We are pretty lucky with the moving thing. We dont have much stuff, BIL has a big covered trailer, and we are only moving a couple of km's away. but OMG, i just realised that when we move back to Oz in a few years, that will be such a huge job... Oh i dont want to think about it.

Sarah - I am so sorry to hear about your mum. Big hugs to you and your family. I am really hoping the chemo works for her

Narelle - WOW! Zara is so lucky, her very own Zoo. I would love to have some land in a few years with lots of Cows, Sheep and other animals.. But no horses, im definately not a horse fan. and Yes, Dh and i are thinking about another baby. Currently, our plan is "around" 2 years. We dont want too much of a gap between. But who knows what the future holds. Our plans are always roughly planned, very flexible. Everyone asks "What would you prefer with the next, girl or boy?" MIL is so determined to have a girl grandbaby that my usual answer to her is "Oh, i dont mind at all, another boy would be nice though!". Although, i will be "thinking pink" with the next one, i honestly wouldnt mind if it was another boy .

Ben is still doing well, sitting up skills are coming along nicely. he has both bottom teeth through, and now his two top teeth are making an entrance. As well as his 2 "K9" teeth. He doesnt seem to be bothered, heres hoping he wont have any problems.

Oh Sarah! I just looked at the new pics and Harry looks so much older than Ben! Soooooooo cute!!

I just had a look at the photos ... ooooooh, they are all so cute! I have got to change my link in my profile and make a new website with some photos.

Kaydee - I always thought that having 2 boys close together would be nice - but was also very happy about having a girl... so I know what you mean... I think 2 years is a great age difference. Wolf now at 21.5 months is becoming a little boy now and is actually trying to be nice to Zara. He was trying to feed her this morning several times (milk, juice, rice cake) and then took her on his little ride-on BMW and drove around with her in front of him. Such a good big brother!!!! It just melted my heart. Such a gorgeous sight!
    Oh, I know about Steve Irwin - so sad. He made you cringe but now that he is gone it's just so sad. He was such a legend!
    So you are planning to return to Oz? Any idea when? And whereabouts do you plan to live then?

Oh yes, let's have a big get together in Sydney!!! Is Manly a good place to meet for most? Unfortunately we don't have a car and I don't think I would dare to drive FIL's truck (plus I can barely find my way to harbour bridge... *blush*) - I could meet in CBD as well as I can take the ferry / jetcat from Manly.

Snowy

Hey, just a quick one.
    Snowy, i think i might be going home for a few weeks (or months) next year (our Summer, their Winter). Just to see the family. Dh will be finished his Betriebswirt (and BA Business Management) in 2 years, he already has his Industriekaufmann (did i spell it right?), SO we might be moving back in 2 years. If not, maybe 4, so we will have enough time to really plan and save enough. So much to think about, Visas, what his qualifications are worth in Oz. Employment, Schooling... Hopefully when we do move back, we will live in Melbourne. HOPEFULLY, im such a Melbourne girl

Just a quick one.. Allegra has a cold and is teething so she was up for good parts of last night poor darling. She has never done that even as a small bubba - she must have been in pain. It seriously hurt me just holding her as she cried. She went to sleep about 2.30am and has been crying from about 11 on and off.
    Good to her Ben is well Katie - He looks like such a big boy! Allegra is about 7.6kgs so average for her age I think.. perhaps a little under but not bad considering she was so tiny at birth.
    Julia - Manly works for me. I have a car and can travel but only 1 carseat... otherwise I could have picked you up. Manly Wharf is wonderful now perhaps thats a good meeting spot?
    Hope everyone is well
    Loveeeeeeee
    T and a Xx

Yesterday was an eye opener. I dont know if i mentioned this before, but i decided to give home daycare a shot (being the daycare, not sending Ben to daycare). Dhs young cousin (18) needed a "day mother" for her 6 week old boy, as she needs to go to school 2 days a week. So I quickly offered to look after him. After this i felt really guilty for Ben, as i knew he wouldnt get my full attention when the baby is here.

Yesterday she brought him (the baby) around for a little stay, 3 hours, he slept the whole time... But it brought back LOTS of memories of when Ben was that young. Bryan (the baby), has no routine yet, so she couldnt tell me when he would need a bottle, or if he would sleep. And to top it off, she didnt bring over anything at all, apart from a bottle. No nappies, no change of clothes... I only noticed after she left (in a hurry mind you). Luckily Bryan slept the whole way through after i wrapped him and set up Bens basinette for him, but im now wondering if i really should have offered to look after him.

Oh i dont know, im sure i will be ok. Ben is really easy to look after, and he easily plays alone and doesnt need much attention, so it shouldnt be a probem, I HOPE!

Katie- I am sure you will be fine. If at any stage you find you can't handle it or Ben seems distressed by it, just be honest and tell her. i am sure she will understand. And if she doesn't...tough..

hehe, thank you Nadine!

Just a quick one from me, basically just to push us back to the top of the page so we don't drop to page 2.

@ Teena
    Great! Let's meet in Manly then!!

@ Katie
    I can imagine looking after another bubba must be stressful! And how weird of the mom to forget half the things... arrrrrrrg...

Snowy

mummyof2boys, I have added your details to the front page for you

mummyof2boys Guest

Thanks Sherie!

Hi everyone! I just noticed that Kas's baby, Liam Brock, has the same b'day as my son Henry! Wow, how exciting!

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing really well. We are doing good here, Ben's top right tooth is poking its head through. Ben is a little bit sooky, but he seems to be himself.

I've decided to keep looking after little Bryan. Ive had him about 4 times now, and havent had any problems. So now i look after him every thursday and friday from 7.30am until 1pm so his mummy can go to school.

I was a bit upset at the family last week though. They lie alot, i wont get into it, its too much to type, but i would rather them tell me the truth from the beginning rather than covering up everything.

Im STILL taking Ben to the physio. He has problems with his back now. Nothing serious, but its better to correct it while he is still a bub.

You know, ive totally forgotten what i was going to post!! Agh!

Oh right, thats what i wanted to write.

The other day, we went to Dhs parents for lunch. Whilst we were eating Ben was playing happily on the floor. He was due his solid feed, but didnt seemed bothered, so we thought we would eat first, and then Ben can eat after us. ANYWAY, Dh and i were deep in a conversation together, and Oma brings out dessert. Which was home made vanilla pudding with chocolate shavings through it. She then picked up Ben, put him on her lap, and casually started feeding ben the pudding!! I was really shocked! She was doing this right in front of us. I didnt know what to say, so i shoved Dh to tell her off. He said "maybe thats not a good idea Oma", she ignored him. He said "it has cows milk in it, doesnt it?" and she said "Yes". He said "Babies arent allowed cows milk", she then went on "oh yes they are, its good for them" blah blah. He then said "Dont give him that he will get a sweet tooth", She says "oh, just one more spoon".

This might not seem like a huge deal. But i was so angry. Angry at her, but also at myself, i was too shy and shocked to say something. Plus, he was due his veges, and after that i was anxious he would refuse them. We often leave Ben with Oma, and we tell her over and over "no sugar, so fat, no salt", just give him what we give you to give him. But i always hear little comments from other members of the family "Oh, ben tried my Joghurt, he loved it!" "Just put a bit of butter in his food". I hate it how they just ignore what i say and do what they think is "right". They are no talking about giving him Liver wurst, "You should try giving him liverwurst".

When i was in hospital for a week, and they looked after him, he looked so unhealthy, his skin was all blemished and his hair greasy, he was grumpy all the time...

Ok, so my point it. If Oma will feed him pudding right in front of us, im so scared about what she is giving him when we arent there. You just cant get through to them. Oh it makes me angry just thinking about it.

Katie- GRRRR...that would make me so mad too. I wouldn't want to be leaving him with them... is that an option for you, or are they the only ones around you that can look after Ben?

Hi everyone!!

Welcome to the group Taria!

Oh Katie - I can imagine you must have been steaming!! No matter what they/one think/s (e.g. I do give Zara a cereal made with cows milk, but not cows milk as a drink, I put fat (usually oil) in Zara's vegetables - which babies actually need, they have a high need for fat, much higher than grown-ups) - it's just wrong that they don't listen to what you are saying. You are his mom and they should really respect your requests. Having said that... I think Omas are like that. My mom keeps feeding my son chocolate all the time and does it to my brother's kids too - I am amazed my SIL has not killed my mom yet. Also, that generation grew up giving babies solids really early and was not aware of allergy risks and the like. Not trying to defend them - just trying to maybe explain a bit... I know it's very frustrating when other people interfere with your parenting and I certainly would have said something if I were you (though I know it's a lot harder telling your ILs off vs. telling your own parents off). Just take it as a lesson not to leave your son with them for meals (or any long periods really) unsupervised as they apparently cannot be trusted to take your instructions, since they blatantly ignore them right in front of you! Sending you a big hug ... in-laws, hey?

Speaking of which... mine still drive me bonkers... MIL let out some rude comment the other day re. our lovely nanny. They still haven't gotten over the fact that we are bringing her with us to Oz and they certainly don't agree with her working for us in general. It's really frustrating. MIL made some remarks re. her not being smart enought for her grandson or something and that she didn't want our nanny "teaching" him stuff / bad grammar while we work... something rather.. arrrg, it's just so rude. What are we supposed to do? We have a business to run and it's not like we have family around to help and I rather have a nanny in my house than give my kid to child care where he/she is one of a bunch and doesn't get as much attention as he does with our nanny. And it's not like I palm off my kids to her all day - I work a few hours and the rest of the time the four of us go to the park and each kid has a grown up to supervise/play with. For us it's perfect because I get to work and I get to give each kid attention and don't have to feel so torn about dividing my attention between kids/work/household/hobbies.

Anyway ... I better shut up or I'll go on about it forever...

We have been such a quiet bunch in here, huh? I hope everone is well (I take the lack of posts as a good sign - I am sure if something was wrong, people would post)

Well, what's there to report from this end? No teeth yet for Zara but very good at munching on all sorts of things. I have made a bit of a point of giving her a bit "lumpy" food because her brother has been so useless with eating real "solids" (vs. purees) and she happily chomps on all sorts of things. I tried a bit of mince for the first time yesterday. She did not seem a big fan. She does eat whole peas and rice grains - so funny. She even manages to put the little peas one by one in her mouth ! It's so cute! And she is so proud. She loves drinking from a glass and gets all excited when I raise it to her lips and she kicks around so much, I can barely get the glass to her without spilling water everywhere. She is really good at drinking. Wolf kept leaving his mouth open and the water would run back out but she can actually drink and keep it inside
    Next week we will have Zara weighed and measured - I would guess she is around 71cm or so and weighs around 7kg but I could be wrong. She is very tall and skinny and people keep commenting on it. We'll see...
    Zara also tries to crawl. So far she manages to go round and round and backwards commando style. I think she is not far off from starting to go forward. Clever princess!

Well, we are moving in less than a week. I am packing frantically - it's a good exercise really... keeps a streamlined household, he he

Snowy

Wilson Guest

Katie i would have been so mad, when we went to visit rellies they wanted to give H a chip and gravy wtf? I wouldn't want them looking after him either if they completely ignore your instructions!

Snowy - Zara sounds so cute eating the peas, i've been trying to make Harry's slighgtly less pureed lately so he gets used to chewing etc.

We are doing great, H is in a great routine at the moment, sleeping well, i'm just hoping it lasts.
    He loves his solids eats everything this morning he had weatbix, morning tea is apple and orange pureed and then dinner is carrot, pumpkin, potato and beef today, i try and give him some variety but there is only so much.

He said his first word Dada the other week which was dissapointing it wasn't mama but then a week later he said Mama and now he hasn't stopped its mama all the time so cute, he rolls constantly, a lot of time now at night he sleeps on his belly can't keep him on his back these days, still no teeth and not really been any signs of them either and no sitting up yet can for a few seconds but thats all.

We are moving to brisbane in a couple of months which will be great closer to my mum, she wasn't so well again on the weekend and was back in hospital, its so hard been this far away from her.

Went and bought a few more summer clothes for H it has been so hot here, i've just been putting him in a singlet and shorts!!

Hope everyone and the babes are doing well, i'm going to try and get more time here again

Have to go change the poopy nappy and dress him for the day, take care!!

Hi everyone,

re: food. Dh and I both had weight problems when we were children, so i think im really focused on not giving ben sweet or fatty things until necessary. But I think that i was more upset at Dhs family ignoring our (actually, its more my) wishes than the actual food itself. And im scared to what they get up to when we arent around "what mummy doesnt know, wont hurt".

they take great care of Ben, and he loves spending time with them, so i wouldnt even think about not letting them look after him.

Anyway, in other news, Ben has started to crawl! Not 100% proplery yet, but he can get from point A to point B very easily. His top right tooth is all the way through, and the top left is half way there. So now he has 3 1/2 teeth.

He is having 1 - 2 solid meals per day, as well as 2 full bottles, and 1-2 half bottles (depending if he is full). Still sleeping really well (from 7pm until around 7-8am), with 2 naps per day (morning and afternoon). Still taking him to physio twice per week, i think we have about 6 more sessions to go.

Wilson - that is so cute with Harry's first word! Ben loves talking, but we cant make out any words yet. Im sure he says "hi" and "hello" already though.

Snowy - how horrible, doesnt your MIL have anything better to do than go on about your nanny and her bad grammar?
    Ben loves drinking from cups too, he is always trying to steal mine. He loves his sippy cups aswell.

I better go and make my lunch, my tummy is rumbling.

Hello girls!

Just a quick post to say we are now in Switzerland! the place is a mess - boxes everywhere... but it's a start... went for a bit of exploring this a.m. I must say it's really nice to wake up and look out over a lake rather than at the concrete courtyard... lol. It's soooooo green here... we walked past cows and goats this a.m. and Wolf was so excited!

Zara is doing well - we had her weighed and measured on Saturday. She is 72.5cm and 7.3kg which makes her very tall but underweight. The doctor made some comments about it but it's not like I'm not giving her plenty of food and she is happy and very lively, so I think it's just the way she is... I was nevertheless so preoccuiped thinking about her comments, that I ran our beamer into a pole... scraped the side just above the wheel... luckily DH just sighed... it's not too bad a scratch but I couldn't believe I was so preoccupied with those comments... The doc said something about giving her some drops to increase her appetite but I think that's just silly. Anyway... other than that, all is well. Zara is soooooooooo close to crawling. She is pushing her bum up and doing the wobbling on her knees and hands thing... oh not long.. .and then nothing willbe safe

Snowy

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast