Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2006

Hey ladies,

Things have settled down here... feeding is much better. Ive caught up on some sleep, and feel more comfortable with having a little one to look after.

Ben tends to feed every 3 to 4 hours for about 40-45 mins, and he sleeps longer at night. Feeding is still a bit painful, but its getting better every time. The midwife has told me i need to relax more. I am so scared of the pain, i sometimes dread feeding Ben. And i feel so guilty. So i use a heat pillow for my back, and have a nice cup of "breastfeeding tea" whilst feeding. that tends to help alot.

Wishful - If ben falls asleep at one boob and i have trouble waking him up, i also change his nappy... and then he is awake and ready for the other side.

Ben is now back up to his birth weight... Which is wonderful!

RE: dummy - we too use it, but only when he is unsettled and wants something to suck for comfort. Although I find that when we have visitors, they are always trying to shove it back in his mouth, he spits it out, and they just try to shove it back in... its so annoying!

Im really anxious about tomorrow. Dh goes back to work. In Germany the fathers only get 2 days off for bubs. and because Ben was born on the weekend, he only gets 1 day!!! So Dh had to take a week from his yearly leave. So unfair. At least my mum is here in a week. I cant wait.

I hope you all are doing well.

bruky Guest

Just a quickie...lol thats probably what got most of us where we are hey...lol

Welcome to Nic and baby Isaac \/ Looking forward to getting to know you both

Princess - I have to say that it seems to be that way for my babies...all 3 of them slept better and longer after going on the bottle...DD#1 slept through from 5 weeks old...DS didnt tho...he was still waking @ 15 months for a feed (sometimes 2)...I am hoping that Katie follows her big sisters footsteps [-o< [-o<
    Katie now sleeps a solid 6 hours @ night and 4 during the day so i wont complain

I'm not sure if anyone knows but is there a time limit on boobie feeding??? I tried to feed katie again last night as my nipples have healed...its been a week yesterday that we put her on the bottle...but just wondering if its possible to pick it up again...she didnt seem to get much out but when I squeeze I still have milk???

Bruky, re: time limit, I dont think so, if you can and she's suckign and swalloing I think it's fine... but dont qupte me! You could alwyas top her up with formula if not sure.

Just a quickie from me to say we slept well last night. We have been trying the routine from the contented little baby book, and she had her last feed at 10pm, then woke at 2.30am, then 6.30am, I was VERY Happy with that. Fingers crossed it happens again.

Wishful we are trying our first outing today, and I hadnt even considered that she wouldnt like the pram, oh dear, I hope she does!! Not sure what you can do, but I may be back asking the same thing!

Welcome Nic and Isaac Your little man was born the day after our girl.

I dont want to be rude and start interfering in your group but your posts bring back so much memories!
    Firstly,about bubs and prams.I had a 3 wheeler with bubs facing away from me as soon as she faced me she was content.I had to buy a new pram! Unfortunatley some bubs just like to be with mum so you will just have to keep having small trips in the pram until they get use to it!
    When i first brought millana home from hospital i had a low milk supply and ended up having to bottle feed.She still wanted to be fed at least 3 hrly,even during the night.I then started to do last feed at 1030pm and she was alot more settled and eventually as she got older had another at 3am until she woke in the morning.
    I got alot of assistance from Tizzie Hall,save our sleep.I just contacted her through her web.She sent me routines to follow and they were invaluable.I will use them for 2nd bubs too.
    Anyway from the sounds of it you are all doing fantastic jobs and with my first was always on tenderhooks and hoping i was doing all the right
    things.Keep perservering.The first 3-4 months are the hardest but you will come through!

Just another point, some of TH's routines maybe abit strict but what im tryinh to say is by having a routine of such that fits in your lifestyle baby may become more settled.ie) bathing,feeding rotine to settle before bed.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I was just reading an interesting article in Mother and Baby Magazine, they did a study which found 57% of mums had tried controlled crying and only 8% found it to be successful. Very interesting!

Anyone interested in TH's routines might like to read this first: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21037
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks for mentioning Pinky Mackay,Jillian.I knew there was another person out there that could help with crying.I will go and read some of her articles for in preperation for the 2nd.

Wilson Guest

Apple good to hear you got more sleep, i'm not really sure what we are doing other than wrapping tight, making sure he isn't hungry and then once he is quiet in our arms we lay him down in the bassinette and leave him patting his shoulder or just stroking if he crys we pick up and shhhh in his ear and wait till he stops crying and then back in, we keep doing this till he just crashes it can take a while sometimes but he is learning.
    it does take us a while though, he is usually very unsettled from 6ishpm to 11-12ishpm last night he woke every 3 hours but i think he was a bit tummy upset.

Of course today he has hardly slept a wink and he is struggling at the moment as well to go down but we'll get there, part of the joys i guess

I am getting a bit sick of all the 2 lots of info we get, today we went to get an electric breastpump from the ABA and i mentioned how my boobs seemed to have less milk than before and how he was sleeping at night for 5 or 6 hours and she said "oh no you should be waking him to feed" As if i'm going to wake my sleeping baby when i really need the sleep.
    Re the boobs i am back to doing two boobs as i don't think he is getting enough now from one, its funny we rang tresillian and they told us to do the one boob thing, another of those one person says one thing another says another ](*,) we are just doing what feels right now rather than listen so much to the professionals conflicting advice

I have a UTI and have to be on antibiotics, i tried flushing it out with water and cranberry etc but the doctors have said its ok to keep breastfeeding but i'm not sure so have bought a cheapish electric breast pump so i might have to formula and pump and dump not sure what option yet i feel so bad i don't want my milk supply to go away as most of the time i do enjoy breastfeeding.

I'm back at my start of pregnancy weight which is great, of course my body shape isn't the same lol and i have no clothes that fit yet but its still nice.

Wishful- Not sure about going out, hope it gets better for you. i usually go out after he has had a feed and a change and just pop him in and he settles and usually falls asleep as its his sleep time, sometimes he is unsettled and we pick him up till he settles and then back in. Probably no help at all.

Take care everyone, hope everyones bubs are wondeful.

Wishful - just wanted to ask how old is bubs? 3 weeks or so? If so then remember that they are know to have growth spurts at 3 weeks and 6 weeks so it feels like you are feeding forever!

Also, please don't feel bubs have to be in a routine yet! They are only tiny things just getting used to the big wide world. Routines come much later, just enjoy them and follow their cues.

I am also someone else that loves Pinky. We were going great guns until around 8 weeks old and if I didn't, Matthew just wounldn't stop crying! If it wasn't for Pinky's '!00 ways to calm the crying' and BB, I would have gone batty I am sure!

You could be right, bubs may not like the pram yet, give them time, take your time. Maybe try a hug a bub or similar. Maybe she still wants to be close to you?

Wilson - I have never woken Matthew for a feed at all. But, I say go with your instict... you are right it is all conflciting advice as every professional thinks their way is the best way! I think you are spot on - he is learning to sleep, all babies do. Do want you guys want to do. We did the shhh ing thing too and it worked a treat!

bruky Guest

Wilson I am sooo with you on all the different advice that is given...its bloody confusing!!!! and this is my 3rd...things seem to change greatly between each child so I am just going with the flow...lol You do what feels right...you are the only expert on your child O

Thanks so much for that link Jillian...I actually rang a councellor from ABA and she did give me some hints and real encouragement to give it another go...not sure if I will join their groups yet but was nice to know that they are there to talk to...now to get my supply back up [-o<

Katie seems to enjoy the pram and the car, we have had a few outings so far, the show...the shops...general walking etc and as long as she isnt hungry all is well...lol

As for routine...yep agree its just too early for most babies, they will set their routine in time and I would just love a baby like yours Jillian...sleeping @ 1 week old and those hours too...well done!!

Apple – I had the same problem with Harrison not sleeping at night but sleeping for about 5 or 6 hours during the day for the first weeks or so after I got home. I spoke to the community nurse and she said to wake him during the day after 4 hours and it should change his sleep rythems. It took about 2-3 days of this but it eventually worked and he now sleeps from about 10pm till 2:00-3:30am.

Wishfull – Try putting bub in the pram just after a feed. I had a similar problem in the early days. I am still having problems with the car seat. Harrison hates it and screams most of the time when ever I have to take him somewhere unless he is really tired and is able to sleep.

I also had trouble with feeding in the early stages in hospital and ended up in tears. The midwife spotted the dummy (Avent – newborn, orthodontic teat) and told me that this dummy wasn’t the right shape if you are trying to establish breast feeding. She recommended a brand called Happy Baby (cherry teat) which you can get from Coles for about $2.00. She said to get the large size not the small because this will go all the way back to the soft pallet in bubs mouth which is where your nipple should be when breast feeding. This way they have less chance of getting confused. I tried it and it worked for me so may be worth a try if you are still struggling with attachment.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :wave:
    I'm back!!!

Not sure how much time I will have to post in the future... but I will try my best.
    I've finally been released from hospital and am staying at my mom's place for another week before returning to London on Saturday.
    The whole birth experience was horrendous and no, I did not get my VBAC. I wrote a brief summary in my Birth Announcement that Tegan did for me (HUGE thanks btw. to Tegan).

Zara is doing well. She is feeding like a champion and she sucks like a maniac. I am done breastfeeding in 5 - 10 mins... it's incredible! My right boob is not working which brought a lot of tears and pain. But I decided to focus on her and forget about my issues of being lopsided again.

Zara is quite alert and awake a lot during the day which I did not have with Wolf - he was a really sleepy baby. The nights are okay. She wakes once at 1 and once at 4 and goes straight back to sleep after the feed, so I can't complain. I go to bed before 10 p.m. nevertheless as I am just knackered by the end of the day.

We have organised an Aussie nanny for London, so I am curious to see how that works.
    We have decided to not go to Australia - let's face it - it was crazy enough an idea without having lost that much blood and feeling that crap, but now as weak as I am, it's totally out of the question. My obgyn talked to my parents after I kinda mentioned it, begging them to talk me out of it. No need though, I realised after still feeling crap after 5 days that there was just no way. My bride was very understanding though, she cried after DH told her how badly I was doing and how awful things were during / after the birth.

Well, I will have to try to catch up on everyone's birth stories and stats ...

Chat later

Snowy

hello mummies and babies,

just a short one to let you know that i have posted my birth story.
    Glad to see you back Snowy. Im so sorry you had such an awful experience . and i hope you are recovering well. Sending all my get well wishes!

Ben is due for a feed...
    Will write more when i have time.

hi all,

I agree with Nelbe. I think thats the most upsetting/frustrating thing about the first 6 weeks - you dont have a routine, and unlikely will in this time. Its even harder with another little one running around - we did have a routine (she's 2 now) and even that now is thrown out the window with Sophie.
    My DH said the other day, 'shouldnt she be going to sleep on her own' - i laughed and said 'babe, she is 2 weeks old, she's been on this planet for 2 whole weeks and here we are expecting her to fall into our routine'. Hang in there. They (bubs) will find there way. I found the most imp thing is to differentiate b/w day and night -wrapping her tight, keeping it quiet and drawing the blinds.

I found the first 6 wks the hardest with #1. We're nearly half way girls !!!!

Sophie usually has a big 4 hour sleep from 9pm-1am, then feeds every 2-2.5 hours. She needs a little help going to sleep in the day. But during the night she is fine. I swear she smiled at me this morning. =D>

Wilson - have you thought about a baby carrier for your to wear whilst at the shops, bubs prob wants to be near you. Ive also heard of people putting somethng near bubs that smells like them too.(!!!).

Lolly - i remember with DD#1 the LC told us about Woolies or coles dummies for a cheap price. She said no need to pay more than $2 for a dummy, these ones work. Needless to say we bought a tommee tippee one and she seems to suck on it nicely.

Snowgirl - welcome back. good to hear Zara arrived safe and sound. You take care of yourself. I know what its like to have massive blood loss - really takes it out of you......
    Washing/ironing/floor mopping to do. Must go.

nic2006 Guest

Hi all,

I've finally got a little bit of time to write properly in this forum, it's been non-stop visitors and guests since Isaac was born 10 days ago!

I had my sister and mum fly over for a week, as well as people dropping in every day...we try to tell DH's family to come around separately in two's or three's, but on Sunday about 8 people all came around at the same time, the stress of it was too much and Isaac had a screaming fit, DH hid in the kitchen from his family (very loud dominating women!) and they scurried out pretty quickly then, no doubt thinking he's a difficult baby and that we can't cope!

Things are going very well so far though - Isaac is breastfeeding really well, his sleep,eat, settle routine is still pretty random, we've taken him out on some trips to the shops etc and he's been fine. I'll have to work out how to put a little picture of him up.

Has anyone been expressing milk so that DH can do the late night or morning feed? I'm currently collecting enough milk to try it soon...would be good if it works so that I can get a solid stretch of sleep in.

Re: prams - After doing a lot of research while pregnant I got one which can be reversed to face me or face ahead, its been great so far.

Re: dummy's - We got some so-called newborn dummies for settling but the shape seems so wrong and he doesn't know what to do with it, the sucking motion is so different to when he's on the breast or has my finger in his mouth, so it might just have to be my finger for when he wants some 'non-nutritious' sucking time!

It's good to be able to read here that everyone is experiencing the same things as me (first time mum). Anyway he is waking up for a feed now, so I will try to keep up with the thread and keep posting!

Thought I would post while I have the chance.

Kayla is doing well. She is generally a good baby, only gets upset if she has tummy pain or is hungry. Luckily she can burp and let off gas really well, so we don't have a problem there.

Feeding: I am still expressing BM. Kayla doesn't seem to latch on well, and when she does she only sucks for 5min and not strong enough to empty a boob or get enough. I keep trying though so she doesn't loose the feel for the boob, but I always have to top her up.

I am going to have to arrange an appointment with the LC I had in hospital. I don't want to give up on brestfeeding just yet. In the mornings when my breasts are at their fullest I can express anywhere from 180-220ml. Towards the evening it gets less and I get around 110ml.

We weighed Kayla yesterday at the chemist. Her discharge weight was 3615g (not clothed), and she now weighs 4070g (not clothed). So she has put on 455g in 9 days. So she is definately getting enough to eat. We give her around 110-120ml of expressed milk per feed.

She generally feeds every 4-4.5 hrs during the day and night, but she may have times when she will want a one off feed after 2 or 3 hrs.

Prams: Kayla loves her pram and going for walks. She also loves her car seat and so far has always fallen asleep in it. So I can't help with issues there.

Dummy's: We were also told by our LC that the "happy baby" dummies are the best to use for breastfeeding babies. Their teat are more like your nipple, so are less likely to cause confusion. They are the cheapest dummy around, so that suits me

Advice: I was told to take on whatever advice you want, and try it out if you wish. If it works that's great and if it doesn't, well throw it out the window. Every baby is an individual and different things will work for every baby. So it's really just trial and error in the first weeks/months until you find what works best for your baby!

The important thing is to stay relaxed. Baby senses how you are feeling, and if you are stressed and upset, the baby will sense this and react the same way.

Snowy: Sorry to hear about your awful experience. Sending you lots of recovery vibes sweety

Katie: I will go and read your birth story after my post. How are you going, now that DH is at work? I am sure you are doing fine

Ok will do more personals later. I have to have a shower while Kayla is sleeping.

Hi girls

It's very helpful to read all of your tips now that this is going to be a reality for us on the weekend. I think I'll go and try some of those Happy Baby dummies when I'm out of hospital, I was holding off to see what kind of advice I'd get on that.

There's noboby in the March baby buddies thread yet, they all came in Feb or were prem and aren't out of hospital yet! I might pop in and try to get some chatter started when I get home from hospital next week - but if I get desperate would you guys mind if I called by a couple of times?!

Hope you are all going well and I look forward to joining you all in baby-land!

Hi everyone,

Ive had a really rough couple of days. I woke up yesterday morning, unable to get out of bed, high fever and pains in my stomach. I called Dh and told him to come home from work asap. I was feeling sick and sore that night, but didnt really think anything of it.

After a visit from the midwife, visit to our GP, and then finally a trip to the Obs, we found that i have an infection in my uterus. Its not contracting properly (or at all). My midwife said that its very rare for that to happen to someone who is breastfeeding. So i am now on antibiotics, Oxytocin nose spray and paracetemol. I just came back from a check -up and the obs said that i was lucky... and that the infection is clearing up nicely. I feel much better now, thank god.

Dh is staying home with me this week, and hopefully next week. My mum arrives on Wednesday, so that is great!

We are staying with Dhs parents for a couple of days and Ben has been an angel!

Well, should go. i hope all mumma and babies are doing well.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast