Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2008

hi girls, whoa, talk about being busy huh??
    bry had his snip yesterday and god was he upset. he's ok today tho. thank god.
    just thot i'd post my family montage i did. has all the kiddos in it, even bry.
    hope u like
    Our family! .

Prama, forget what that woman said. We take nine months to have a baby, they say it takes another nine months to get ur figure back. Poo to her hey? <hugs>

Congratulations Kirsten!!!!!!!!!!! :

wow, everyone has picked such beautiful names for their bubs!
    Who's posted pics yet? I wanna have a squiz heheeh. I love seeing bubbas.
    I hope everyone is settling in well with their little ones.
    Prama, I'm sorry ur having problems. is bubba chomping once he is partially asleep? Bry does that when he's almost asleep and I have to stroke his cheek to remind him to suck properly...sometimes I have even had to use a damp cool face washer to wake him to finish feeding properly...
    I admire you for holding on and trying so hard honey. It's not easy when there are problems. I hope things settle down for u soon honey *hugs*

Hey everyone, just introducing myself to the thread!
    I have been vaguely following so far, but look forward to getting to know all of you and your babes a bit better!

Alexander was born Saturday 23/02, and we came home yesterday.
    So far he is an absolute gem - i am enjoying it while it lasts!
    My milk came in within 36 hours, so he is feeding brilliantly, if not for the fact he has his night and day a bit mixed up! But i'm sure we'll get him round the right way eventually.

I'll try and catch up on what I've missed in here, but congratulations to all of you and your new bubbas!

General question - I used to have a "quick reply" option at the bottom of each thread and now dont have that option and have to press "reply to thread" which takes me to a new screen. Has everyone elses set up changed or just mine ???

Kirsten - big congratulations to you and DH on the arrival of Benjamin David (another lovely name).

Hi to everyone else. Can't believe how little time there is to get on line. I used to be on here all the time. Doesn't help that our computer pooped itself and we are currently using an old one which is soooooooo slow !

How many of us are using dummies. i fully intend on using one (I had one until I was 5 and started school andMum made me give it up !!) but not too sure if I should introduce it at this stage. Are we supposed to wait 6 weeks especially if exclusively breastfeeeding.

Another question - for those who haven't got supply problems with breastfeeding are any of you expressing and storing milk for the occasional bottle feed. I have no idea when best time to express is and when to introduce a bottle. Some say don't introduce too early but others say don't leave too late as they may never take bottle.

God its just so confusing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to ultrasound place yesterday for a scan on the lump in my breast. They put a needle in there to send some cells off to pathology but Dr doesn't think a problem - more than likely a cyst/abcess as contained pus (sorry TMI !). Will find out on thursday. In the meantime taking antibiotics. So all that rubbing and massaging probably wasn't the best thing for it seing as it wasn't a blocked duct.

With the help of my mum we are going to brave the shops after DS next feed. Wish me luck. Can't wait to able to drive again. Should be able to by this time next week !

Hope you are all coping as best you can and life is getting a little easier. Sorry for long post.
    xx Jacki

Jacki i am expressing a little bit but that's because i have too much milk already and it's uncomfortable if i don't! I know that won't help the 'too much' problem but i'm in utter agony otherwise, and he doesn't always want a 'top up' which is when he takes the second side.
    When i try to introduce the bottle, i'm going to try and do it as a starter feed on the bottle and let him finish on the breast... or something like that... Don't know how it will go but it's the best i cam up with.

As for the dummies - i was going to but i'm sort of going to wait and play it out. I think dummies may have the same issue with a bottle - if you wait too long they may not take... who knows! Alex likes to suck on his hand a lot for comfort (he's managed to coordinate his thumb in there once or twice, lol) so i'm not going to offer the dummy for a while...! But i do know i had one pretty much from birth!

Oh & good luck with your trip to the shops!
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; February 27th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: eta

The quick reply button has gone
    I want mine back too.

I have pictures of my little girl... Well not so little. She has had a growth spurt and has outgrown huggies newborns... So we are onto the Aldi nappies now. They are heaps cheaper from what I hear, just as good.
    Anyway I have pics on my facebook page. I am about to do another ticker and will put one there.

I am exclusively breastfeeding Amber at the moment. I am not expressing at the moment. Every now and then we have given her a formula bottle but I am trying to persevere with the breastfeeding. We go to the Maternal health nurse tomorrow so will see how the weight is going.

My girl slept from 1030 til 5 last night and the night before. She then has a feed and goes back to sleep til about 9. The health nurse says it is ok for her to do that if she is putting on good weight. But then I kind of feel bad thinking she is missing out on a feed. Plus when she wakes after such a long sleep, my bb's are so full and firm, I feel like an amazonian woman!

Amber has half taken to a dummy in the last couple of days and we try and use it to settle her. During the day, it takes awhile for her to get to sleep. We put her down in her bassinette and she sleeps for 10 minutes then wakes up. So we have a learning curve to go.

Welcome Ash. Sounds like you had a great birth and a great start to your son's life. My milk didnt come in until after we got home from hospital. They did send me home from hospital a day early though.

Jacki- good luck with the outing. We went on our second outing today, just to the shops. Amber loves the baby bjorn and loves the car. She will go to sleep in a moving car.

Prama- I hope today is a good day for you and your little one.

Ash, it takes a few weeks for ur milk supply to settle in. Mine has now settled and I am not uncomfortable anymore. I did worry that that meant I was not making enough, but Bry is settling fine and sleeping well and is gainging weight so he is getting enough. Also feeds are taking less time as he gets the majority of the milk quickly so it used to take me 45 mins to feed him, it's now taking me 20-30 and he generally only needs one side unless he's unsettled or starving. I was even able to feed him last feed and express 80mls. Considering I don't express well, I think that's good.
    It should all settle down soon. I hope the pain lessens for u.....

Yep, I have lost my quick reply box too, I think I noticed it missing last week...was hoping it would be back by now!!

Anyhoo, all is well here, sore nipples are slowly getting better, which is a relief, I am not as engorged as I was two days ago which is lovely, the pain when trying to sleep was agony..lol..and now bubs can get a half decent grip, which is helping!! Still feeding roughly every 3 hours, he still sleeps alot during the day and is getting better during the night, so we are slowly getting there.

We had a visit from the HN on Monday and Noah has put on 90g since we left the hospital! Yay!! Hopefully he keeps it up, we'll go to the clinic next Wednesday to be weighed again, so will be anxious until then..lol..

Jenjams, wow 10.30-5 am! Nice! It sounds like your little girl is doing so well!!

Jackie, I was expressing up until yesterday, as my boobs were so full, today they have settled down alot , but I would like to have bottle handy in the fridge in case DH wants to feed him, so might get that happening tomorrow again. We have brought a dummy, but we havent given it to him yet, I dont think he needs it just yet, he dosent cry for long periods of time, oh except for bath time..lol.. with DD we introduced it on day 18 and she took to it well. Gosh I hope that the results from your lump come back negative! After DD was born I found two in my right bb and had scans etc but they just turned out to be Fibro-adenomas...it was still worrying though!! I hope your visit to the shops was a good one!!

Katkins, I checked out your family montage! So gorgeous and what a great idea!!!

OKay, better go! Hope you are all well and happy!!!

yup, it's p!ssing me off that the button now takes me to another screen, it's so hard to refer to other posts. I dont like having to keep scrolling down.

A quick one cos i have to go feed bub now

jacki - hope the lump's ok. xoxoxo
    A quick update which i hope answer your question:

The Early Childhood Centre put in me in touch with Family Care in Parramatta, and we had a 1.5 meeting with the LC.
    It was good, she really helped with bub's attachment, our options etc. So, right now, we're bf-ing each feed, though my milk is still very little, we're topping up with formula. I'm using the nipple shield for now, as it's still sore and bub still chomps. I tried without it, it was painful and I think physically and emotionally Im not ready to try without it yet. Bub's a bit better at attaching now, so it's a little easier. He knows to open his mouth and look for the nipple but having him on the breast for almost an hr, still leaves him hungry. I'm still not making enough.
    It's already getting a bit tiring as the feeds are now every 3 hrs instead of 4 hrs with formula. With formula, DH would feed him while I had a sleep.

She told me to bf and then express straight after for 5-10mins. I only had a few drops! I think i must be only feeding him 20mls cos he drank abt 50mls of formula afterwards. I had him on the breast for almost an hr. I hope my milk comes in soon. My GP has given me Motilium but that will take several days to kick in. I cant wait to get 80ml or more like you Katkins and Ash! It's so sad.....

Just had a call from my Dr .... and Yeah ! lump nothing but an infection and antibiotics should clear it up. Such a relief.

Made it to the shops and back. Was out for 3 hours and my DS slept the entire time. I was all psyched up to BF in public but then didn't have to. He is 3 weeks old today and I feel as though I should have been brave enough by now - I feel like putting it off so long is making it more of a issue for when I finally have to do it !

Jen - excellent new on your little one sleeping for all that time. Must be great to get a bit of sleep !

If expressing just after a feed so you just express off the breast you just fed from to completely drain the breast or do you pump both ?? Very confusing. Tomorrow I am going to a morning tea put on by the hospital I had Luke in. HOpefully they will have a LC on duty so I can run my million and one questions by her. I can't wait to be able to express and bottle feed just one feed so DH can do it - may be not every day but every now and again would be great for the extra sleep and also for DH to be a little more involved - I think he would love it!

Prama - hope the BF is starting to get just a little easier for you. You really have had a rough old time !

Minky - I hear you on the engorged breasts. Its so hard to get bubs to get a good grip on there and STAY ON !

Katkins - 20 minutes to feed - that sounds heavenly. Its taking me around an hour bythe time he feeds off one side, then burb, then a bum change and then offering other side.

jacki - do you feed bub every 3 hrs? the LC told me today that feeding plus expressing should take max an hr. if you're doing more than an hr, you must hardly be getting any sleep. It's so hard isnt it? I just want to sleep and sleep and sleep. Every moment seems to revolve around feeding...

Hi girls,

I'm back after a short hospital stay (similar problems to you I think Esme) Turns out Reuben was so starving due to my lack of milk supply that his heart rate was a bit low and I finally got put on motilium and I am currently topping him up also. He is doing better and gaining weight. He still gets distressed and pulls off the breast during some feeds (which in turn distresses me) and it takes about 2 hrs from when I feed him for him to go back to sleep which only gives him an hours sleep (and me an hours break) before his next feed. Does anyone else have this trouble? Is it just a stage?

Prama - sometimes feeding every 3 hours sometimes 4 hours - today managed to last to 5 hours (I was sure he was going to wake after 3 hours but managed to put himself back to sleep for another 2 hours !! - I give up trying to predict any kind of pattern !). It would be great if the 5 hourly feed was at night though wouldn't it !!!

When you feed and than express within the hour what do you do with DS ?? do you just put him back to bed whether he is ready or not or pass him to DH? I am finding that the thing that takes the most time is after the first breast its the getting him awake enough to burb, change and then offer other side before attempting to settle him back to sleep.

God I'm confused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Kerrie - what's the secret to getting bubs fed, burped, changed, offer other side and then finished in such a short time ???

Hi again everyone...

I am going to try to get back into the swing of things in here, and would love to get to know all of you and your new babies!

Just a quick run down on us...
    Eva is now 2.5 weeks old. Not sure how much she weighs (was 3.8kg at birth), but one week ago she had gained 100 gms on her birth weight, and this week I bet its heaps more because boy has she grown!!
    We are slowly getting there with BF.
    We have endured multiple issues from bleeding & cracked nipples, to Eva refusing to latch on my left side (because its inverted), and then her having issues with her suck - because it wasn't strong enough to stimulate my let down.
    However having been through all of that, she has now been on 100% breast milk for over 1.5 weeks, although the majority of this has been expressed. I am lucky, I express really easily, these past few days have been getting 180mls in 10 mins - which is way more than what she needs to drink! So I have begun storing it. But my goal now it to get her to drink directly from my breasts for most of her feeds. Atm she is probably only taking 1/3 of her feeds from my breasts... I think maybe I am still a bit wary, and scared because of nipple hell I went through in the first week?

Other than that... she is a very peaceful baby. She is beginning to develop definite sleep/awake patterns. Although unfortunately for me, one of her widest awake times is between 9pm and midnight - usually right when I want to go to bed! She usually wakes twice per night to feed (and I have to express at those times as well), and most times will go back to sleep afterwards, although there have been a couple of unsettled nights. I have found it easier this time because I have her cot as a sidecar to our bed (with the side taken off) so I can just reach over and pat her, or pick her up... and I am a lot less anxious, knowing that she is sleeping right next to me, so that also helps me sleep better.

Ok, now I will do personals for the last day... any more than that and I will never be able to keep up! LOL

Carley - I hope you manage to get some good sleep soon hon. Ikwym about being hormonal... I have been up and down and all over the place this week too. Glad to hear that Lysander is doing great
    I have tried giving Eva a dummy, but she actually doesn't like it very much at all (and have tried different types!). She will actually take it about one in every 10 times.

Jacki - great news that the lump is nothing too serious. I hope the AB's clear it up asap!
    Do let me know what the LC says about expressing after a feed from one breast? As my expressing and feeding is all over the place at the moment.. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right!

Prama - good luck with the BF hon. It sounds like you are doing SO well! Its really hard to persevere with it when there are so many difficulties, so I applaud you! I hope your supply picks up really soon too. Can I ask what type of pump are you using?
    Its so tiring to have them on the breast for hours isn't it... Eva wants to stay attached to me for usually up to an hour, which then makes my nipples sore again!

Ok, sorry, thats all the personals I can manage for now... Eva needs to feed, and if I don't post this now, then I never will!

Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight!

Hi, Ds seems to be getting better now. Yesterday we went to Target. I was a bit concerned because there is alot of colds around at the moment, so I kept Jake in his capsule with the sun cover over him to stop people touching him. Unfortunatly while I was paying for the items I have picked, I turned around and someones was happly stroking him on the leg. I couldnt believe it. The horribe thing was the woman walked away coughing. So dam inconsiderate.

Carley, Jake wont take a dummy. He has a suck, and spits it out when he finds out its not food. (bummer.) I think Leeloo is getting use to having 2 kids at home like me. Time is very short right now. I will be on more once the family gets better. I hope you are doing ok.

Amber, Jakes a chomper and sleeper. Thank god for the medella mini electric.

Jacki, I put Jake on the floor on a rug, so he doesnt fall asleep to easy. I think Jake has a small routine working, but he will still take till he's 6 weeks b4 he's really ready for a steady routine. 6 weeks onwards thing get alot better.

Gee, once you have had a couple of years of good sleep, you really miss them. Tara, Jake and myself are all sick with this cold. Im even lucky enough to have a ear infection too. I hope all you girls are all well. It really sucks to have your two little ones sick, including yourself.

Hi, to all the other girls from this months births.

Prama, I wondered if your labour was a fast as a 20/ 20 cricket mach.lol. Sorry I didnt ask sooner.

Oops, have to go. The little bloke needs a little clean up.

I will catch up with the rest of you all later. Sorry. All your babies look so cute in their photos.

Take care.
    Last edited by 2 please; February 28th, 2008 at 09:24 AM.

Smile

Good Morning Everyone,
    Hope everyone has had a good night!!!! Our little one still seems to have a rough night every second night -- she fed from 8.30 pm till 10.30pm (both sides) then slept till 2.30 am and was awake on/off until 6.30am!!! My DH tried to settle her and fell asleep in the feeding chair with her -- I was going to feed her again at around 4am but must have fallen asleep. Lots of Fun.

Jacki -- so great to hear you got out of the house and had a shop. I am with you on the BF in public -- I took Sophie to have photo's taken 2 days ago -- and had to leave in the middle of the feed to get to the studio. So I ended up feeding her there. I bought a breastfeeding top from target that just has a little peek hole to pop boob out through whilst the rest stays covered up -- feel more comfortable with that than hiking top up and exposing my whole side. LOL

Prama -- I am hoping things are getting better for you and you are able to catch up on some sleep.

Minky -- my sore boobs have settled also but sometimes I don't feel as if I have enough particularly in the evening.

KatKins -- I am envious on the long sleep also.

Bun -- it is so nice just to have time to yourself without stavks of visitors I here you!!

Ash -- Congrats to you!!

Carley -- Sophie has taken the dummy occaisionally when she has been overtired, we used a dummy with our first but not with our second. I think every bub is different

Well I hope I haven't left anyone out. My 4 year old put on a big tantrum prior to Kinder this morning and I am a bit fragile -- not sure how I am going to be organised enough in the mornings to pack up 3 kids before 8.30 am!!! Oh well will try

Have a good day everyone
    Sue

Hi all,

Jasper has finally settled, so that gives me some time to catch up... you girls have been busy this morning!

Firstly, welcome Ash and congratulations on the arrival of Alexander! Great to hear that he is doing well so far!

Kelly, how is Reuben going? Is de motilium starting to work? I find it works really well for me, so I am trying to cut back from the prescribed 3 to 1 tablet a day. Jasper has plenty of milk with 2 tablets, yesterday was the first day on 1. We have an appointment with the CHN today, so hopefully he will have put on some weight. Are you topping up with formula? They tried to get Jasper to drink formula in de hospital but he didn't take it. Lucky my milk came back and seems to be enough for him at the moment. Hopefully it will get better soon for you and Reuben!

Jacki, great to hear that the lump was nothing too serious!

Prama, I admire you for your determination and courage to keep breastfeeding! Hopefully it will soon get easier.

We seem to be doing alright. Apart from the occasional 3 hour stretch of crying due to a pain in the tummy. We have an appointment with the CHN later this morning, so it will be interesting to see if and how much weight he has put on since our hospital stay last week. Hopefully we are back on track...
    Last edited by Esme; February 28th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast