... 7891011 ...

thread: Babies Born January 16th ~ 31st 2009 #2

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Bleh, I have a cold Ben has one too and this morning Jared woke up with a cough I'm hoping that's it for him though. It's only Ben's second cold and he's not dealing too well with it - neither are we!

No personals today, I feel too rotten BTW, I'm sure we got our cold from the Community Nurses' waiting room last week. There was a mother there with her 8ish year old (with a friend with a bub) and the girl was coughing all over us. THREE times the mother said "If you don't cover your mouth when you cough, we'll have to wait outside because there are babies in here" THREE times she didn't do anything I wonder how many other poor bubbas got sick because it was a busy day down there

Oct 2007

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share something which some of you may know anyway & it may even only apply to NSW but worth looking into anyway. For a limited time parents & grandparents or anyone looking after a child under 12mths is entitled to a free whooping cough vaccine (also includes tetanus & diptheria). You just go to your GP. I got a letter through medicare so went & had my jab this morn. Apparently 42% of babies catch it from their mothers - scary!!!

Dis - I would have gone off my head if it were me in that waiting room (at the mother of course)!!!!

Mar 2007

AJC - thanks for reminding me! I'm getting my GP to give me a script tomorrow and I wanted to ask about the Whooping Cough injection. Had a discussion on Immunisations at the health clinic yesterday.... I hope it's free in QLD too!!! That's where my GP is. Otherwise I live right near NSW border so can get it there too
    Be awful if we gave it to our babies.

Dis - hope you feel better soon!! It's so annoying when you get sick from others!!!
    Orange - poor Dash! Sounds like the right thing for him tho starting solids earlier. I've heard of others doing that for reflux babies.

Ava is now 5.2kgs!!! She is finally above 5kg she's doing really well! Still a petite thing though.... just long and slim!! She's a size 000 and will be for few more weeks yet.... I bought her some really cute winter clothes in size 00 from Myer (Sprout brand) sooooo cute......

I need to lose 20kg.... will check out that website Me-lisa - thanks.
    I watch Biggest Loser it motivates me but then i eat something bad......

May 2008
    Roxburgh Park,VIC

hi all

ORANGEFEATHER- interesting u say about increasing the zantac and gaviscon with the reflux problem,we have Nixon on AR formula,ive had to decrease the amount a little as its making him constipated...what to do????????????? banging my freaking head,might have to ring the paed to see what i can give that wont constipate him and hes also on Losec..

We are still having major catnapping issues bad during the day,tonights a shocker,hes hardly slept sice 4pm,he had half hour nap then was up til 730pm,had bath n bottle n went to bed but hes catnapping and woken up again so we are just forcing him to go back to sleep,since the whole reflux thing hes really relying on his dummy to sooth himself and gets very emotional and crying quickly..tired emo and irritable..
    At night he normally goes to bed around 7pm and sleeps well without waking,tonight been a bad one,im so exhausted,still havent made bottles up fpr tonight....need mum time out lol...
    i hope the reflux sorts itself out soon now we on Losec and gaviscon as the car trips are unbearable whereas before he loved the car,it is improving..

TV-AHOLIC- YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to turn the tv off when feeding and what not,he loves the damn thing,doesnt help that i have a 50inch giant bloody plasma,hey if it keeps him quiet for 15 mins whilst i get some housework done i aint complaining,we watch Dora the Explorer,,,hehe

WEIGHTLOSS-
    No time to even think about it atm,,,too busy with my baby boy and the reflux and the business,i barely get time to shower n blowave my hair let alone anything else..hope in the near future,nuthin a good pair of shapewear suck ur inners in knickers dont fix,,,ahhh trickery for $20 best money ive ever spent..lol
    cheers to all im delirious
    Bon

Feb 2007
    ....there's no place like home!

Just a quick one....still haven't read posts from when I was away...getting there lol....so will respond to last couple of posts!!

Ren: We will give solids a go any way and see how it goes. DD wasn't on solids until 6 months. We just bought an activity centre for Dash so he can stay upright after his food without us having to hold him. He is moving around more now so we can't just prop him up on a pillow anymore and he is getting too big for his bouncer (that doesn't bounce lol). Yeah on Ava reaching 5kg!!!

AJC: Thanks for the info...will look into that. How is little Sam going??

Dis: Grrrrr about being sick. It makes you mad!!

Bon: Dash has the opposite problem with his bowels. His are quite sloppy. Have you tried a different formula? Dash is on Karicare (not HA-AR as it is worse lol) and I find it is a little thicker than the Novalac. Dash got constipated on Novalac Sweet Dreams which is thickened too. Look at the back of the tin and see what it is thickened with as different brands are thickened with different things. Karicare is thickened with carob bean gum if that helps. You just might have to experiment until you find one that suits Nixon's bowels.....there are many to choose from as you know and people will give you differing opinions on what is best. If Nixon is constipated then he would be feeling mighty uncomfortable. I had this problem with my DD (and still do) and she would be/still is really unsettled and irritable when she is backed up and doesn't eat/sleep properly. You can try some brown sugar in warm water if he is blocked up....seems to help. There are plenty of other home remedies as well like a bit of prune juice in water. Sometimes just plain water is enough as the thickened formula is absorbing more fluid than normal when it swells in their little belly. Maybe try something like this if you want to keep him on the Novalac....but once again people have different opinions about whether this is a good idea or not. Hope that helps.

TTFN....will be back to talk to everyone else....want to read about bubs first Easters. Big hello to everyone and hope everyone is well (and hope you are better soon Dis).

xx

May 2008
    Roxburgh Park,VIC

ORANGE- We had Nixon try karicare AR formula as well,.it was so thick he only drink half a bottle n spit it out,that was the start of the constipation,then i went back to the novalac AR formula and he still constipated,,,some mums told me the normal karicare gold is quite good and thick for a non AR formula as well as my paed said to try nan ha gold pro ,he had that at birth in hospital n made him constipated then but dunno bout now,he normally has heinz nurture 1 gold starter,i might give him some of that with a bit of feed thickener in it,i gave him some cooled boiled water and the last 2 novalac bottles instead of putting 5 scoops per 150ml as directed i put 4 but cant see a change yet,,,poor little kid!!!

Jun 2007
    Morayfield, Qld

Hey girls

I'm from the other Jan group but we have gone very quiet and thought could I pop in here, Harley was born the 15th Jan so only one day out lol! But yeh I love chatting to other mums and would be great to join ur group!

Hope u are all well and look forward to meeting u all

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

MummyDeb!! - its a great bunch of girls in here with a wealth of information and fantastic support

Jan 2009
    Melb VIC

hey Bon i know that our pead got us to use mylanta instead of gaviscon because gaviscon can constipate. I'm not sure what the difference is but only prob is that you can't use mylanta long term.

Mar 2007

MummyDeb - welcome to our group - remember we were ttc'ing together!!??

Bon - I've given Ava Karicare AR formula before and yeah it's so thick!!!! took her ages to finish a bottle of it. We just use Karicare HA now. (top ups)

Well I'm getting another LC to come and see us hopefully this week as Ava feeds from my breast and sucks loudly like she does when shes taking a bottle. I think she's formed some habit and now it's happening when she feeds off me!! She's a loud drinker
    Anyone else find their baby takes from bottle and breast also but has changed the way they suck at the breast??? I think thats what it is.

Had a very unsettled Ava last night.... up every 1-2hrs.... 1am, 2:30am, 3am, 430am, 5am

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

Ren - I've given Ella EBM twice and she is a loud drinker regardless if its on the breast or the bottle! - She likes to try and have 'conversations' while feeding at the same time so i think that makes it even louder!

Aug 2004

hi ladies,
    sounds like a lot of us have babies with Reflux.....it is NOT nice at all, is it? I hate it when Amara starts to choke - it frightens me so much. She is still taking Zantac 3 times a day but it is only a low dose of 0.5 mls. I occassionally give her Gaviston also - maybe once every few days, when I think she needs it.

AJC - thanks for the info re the free vaccination of whopping cough - hey, Ren if you beat me to it, can you let me know if this applies to mummies in Qld?? thanks.

welcome to mummydeb!!! it will be wonderful to have another mummy in this forum - type away!!!

well, I think I have lost almost half a kilo in the last week...due to NOT eating after the kids go to bed, but I also think it is due to my speedwork in training for the Half marathon - I have put in a little extra effort. I only posted about weight loss because I am motivated and know I will feel better once I am my old self - and i find it motivating even more when I hear about other mummies losing weight - it is hard sometimes.

what was that weight loss website one of you posted about? would like to know.

I had a shocker, terrible EAster. Hubby sick in bed ALL the time, and my 6 year old BORED and Amara and I just getting through the day. not fun at all. Today, both boys are either at Holiday program or work, and it is nice to be home just with Amara.

Ren, I am sorry to hear about Ava's long, hard night - any ideas what it was? you must be very tired. thinking of you.

Jun 2007
    Morayfield, Qld

Ren: Yes I remember TTC!! I was so happy when I heard u were pregnant and so happy for u and your DH on Avas birth!

Harley is fully formula fed and isn't much of a loud sucker, but can be a little piggy!! I have a happy chucker and constantly cleaning up baby spew lol!

He has been getting into a regular sleeping pattern for the past few weeks, goes sort of like this
    Feeds between 5 and 5.30pm and down by 6pm at night. Then has a dreamfeed around 11pm and sleeps thru till between 5.30 and 6am...the past few days its been 5.40am he is up! Then awake for a couple of hours and down for about an hour around 8am. Pretty happy with how things are going! Can't believe he is 3months already!! Time has just flown by!

runnermum: Thanks for the welcome I thought that Harley might of had reflux at first but I think he is just a happy chucker, always smiles after he spews, reflux is when they get the pains with it isn't it? Wow can't believe u do marathons and be a mum, u are doing so well!! Thats no good ur easter wasn't as good.

gill: Thanks for the welcome as well Must say your lil Ella is just beautiful

Look forward to meeting more of u lovely ladies!!

Deb

Feb 2007
    ....there's no place like home!

Good morning everyone! I've given up on reading posts from the last week so will start fresh.

Ren: Hope you get a little nap today to get back on track.

Runnerr: Congrats on the weightloss! My weightloss journey begins this week....have 20kg to loose. I only just got clearance but my iron is still very low so only light treadmill work allowed.

MummyDeb: Hi! I was following the other January thread for a while (well, stalking) and noticed that you had your bubs at Caboolture Hospital. Dash was born there on the 11th January and I left on the 13th....so as I was leaving you were checking in!! I was a holding hands team girl and also had DD there in June 2007. Welcome, and hope you enjoy our thread. We are all great mums with lots of advice and support.

Gill: How cute about Ella talking when she feeds. They are the moments you never forget.

AFM: As I mentioned to Ren earlier, I 'won' an activity centre for Dash on ebay last night so can't wait to pick that up for him. I never had one for DD and to be honest, wasn't going to buy one for Dash either but I need some way of sitting him up after feeding when we start solids. Anyone else got one? A friend of mine thinks it is a great idea as she said that DD will be able to interact with DS and 'play'....I think she is right. They had their first sibling moment the other day when DD was tickling Dash and he started giggling. DD started giggling and then she gave him a cuddle and said 'luv wu'. What a melting moment (sob sob). Love my kidlets!!

Also, think I will get out the Bumbo today. Dash has started grabbing onto toys (we give them to him and he holds them) so I think it is time for some sitting up and a tray full of toys.....now to keep DD from taking them he he. In a couple of weeks I will get out the teething mesh bag and put some cold things inside for Dash to chew on as he is starting to have a little chew on his teething rings. Too cute!!

Talk soon, have DD saying 'pweeeeeeeze muuuuuuuuuum wink wink' for a drink. Got to love it!!
    xx

Linda

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Orange, isn't it gorgeous when our 'big kids' interact with their little brothers? Ben has just started to really want to play with Jared. Just when we don't want him near him with all his germs! We're letting him go though as we want him to play with him. Would just prefer it when he's better!

Hi MummyDeb! Welcome to our group

Runner, bugger about your Easter. I've got it the other way around with me and Ben sick and Jared getting it too. Thankfully, DH has taken some time off work to help look after us all. Actually, he took time off work to pull out our pool, but he's ended up taking care of us

Gill, J doesn't talk while he's feeding, but he kinda sighs like it's just the best thing in the world It's so funny, like he was starving hungry and hadn't eaten in weeks - even though it's usually only two hours!

Ren, I know J doesn't feed right sometimes, I have to turn his top lip out. He's gotten lazy. I don't think it's from having the bottle though, I have a lot of milk and a strong let down reflex so he doesn't HAVE to try hard to get it out. No point trying to change it though as he won't be getting his milk elsewhere

Hi, to everybody else. I've gotta quickly pick up a few things around the house, my FIL is dropping over and it looks like a cross between a daycare centre and a hospital with all our cold and flu stuff around!

Aug 2004

di's girl - couldn't agree more - yes I love it when Logan plays with Amara - it is so gorgeous -ATM he is trying to teach her to spell !! He copies what I say to her as well, like 'hello gorgeous' etc...

I forgot to say that Amara rolled over 3 times yesterday in front of us all and we also got it on video! She rolled over at 8 weeks when my mum was here, but to see her do it again and again now at 10 weeks is wonderful. She really seems to want to get around...oh no!! not yet!

Orangefeather - you have my support re your weight loss - I read something the other day and it is just good, plain and simple - move more, eat less, drink more (water that is !!) and sleep. Well, the last one is more of a challenge than the other 3, but sleep is now known to be crucial to weight loss..something about hormones that we produce when we are asleep.

Ren - we are off to Mt Tamborine tomorrow - mention this because you would know how gorgeous it is out there. going with some friends from Melbs who are staying with us.

Hey, has anyone been to Japan? Thinking of going there for my Significant birthday this year!! I have travelled HEAPS and lived overseas for a while also, but have not been to Japan with children...

Mar 2007

Runner - have been to Japan but only Tokyo airport for a stopover!! everyone was wearing masks on their faces and this was a few years after SARS too.... LOL but Japan would be cool!! Well done on Amara rolling! Ava can half roll .... won't be long til she's rolling....
    Dis - yeah I don't think A has to work very hard for her milk either cos' at the moment I have that much it just squirts out if i just touch my boob slightly LOL and maybe thats why she's started doing it? It's like she doesn't need to have a strong hold of it for some reason and it may be a fast flow.... I am on Motilium that might be why I don't want her to have any more bottles of EBM or formula soon... we've had to because if you remember she wasnt gaining enough weight and was losing weight (weeks ago). but all is good now. I've got an LC coming over for a home visit tomorrow see what she says
    MumDeb - Harley is in a nice pattern there! Ava is a bit unsettled lately it must be a growth spurt I'm thinking.....
    Gill - thats cute Ella has conversations hehe while feeding. Ava does similar but more like sighs like she's thinking "oh this is good...." hehe its cute..... I love your new pic!!
    Orange - we're getting a Bumbo soon! Thanks for reminding me!

Does anyone know of a good website that has games etc I can read about to play with Ava? I found the fisher price one but you can't subsribe to it unless you're in the states.... maybe i'll just write them down on some paper. was hoping for an emailed version where they send you updates each week of games to play etc

Gotta go, Miss Ava is waking again... she won't sleep today

Jun 2007
    Morayfield, Qld

Oh wow orangefeather!! Who did u have on holding hands? I had Narelle but also saw Colleen and Ann. Well I saw most the girls at one point hehe!!
    Thats so cool we were at the same hospital. Do u live far from Caboolture? I'm at Morayfield. There were no other Qld girls in the other Jan group!

... 7891011 ...