Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born January 16th ~ 31st 2009 #2

Runner - a bumbo is an infant seat... mostly used for babies 3mths+ they sit up in it. Can use it for feeding etc later on too.... get them at babies galore etc. google it and you'll see pics. we just ordered one from Ebay!!
    Yay! Another Sushi-addict! You and me will have to go for a walk with the prams one day then go for Sushi in Coolangatta like we did today
    ps Ava is too small to sit in the 3wheeler pram seat so i still have the bassinet attachment on it.... she rolls around in there!! LOL

Ren - Sorry, I do remember now that it was you saying about the dog and Ava crying. Mum and I took Max and my nephew for a walk with the dog a few weeks ago. I totally lost track of what time it was and we got about 10 mins down the road and Max started crying. Turns out it was feed time - oops! So he cried all the way back till I fed him.

AJC - Those giggles sound cute! Max is giggling, but usually it's kind of talking and smiling at the same time, not quite a proper giggle yet. But last night when I was feeding him and trying to get him down for the night, he fell asleep on the boob (which he usually does) and was giving smiles (which he also often does). Then when I took him off, he did a full on giggle, and he was asleep! It was sooo cute. Unfortunately, I was annoyed with DH who was in the room (we're all sharing a room while we're away) and kept snoring or coughing or sneezing every time Max was nearly asleep and waking him up again. So, cos I was annoyed, I didn't appreciate the giggle as much as I would have done at any other time.

MummyDeb - Sorry, I forgot to welcome you when I posted earlier. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Soph - Sounds like you had a great holiday. I imagine it would have been great to have some one on one time with Henry.

HAPPY 4 MONTHS SAM!!

Welcome back Soph!

Nice to hear from you again Mir!

Ren and Runner: My Bumbo was the best money I ever spent on DD.....love it! She still now, at nearly 2, will sit in it to watch TV or when we are out at a BBQ (beats sitting on the ground). Be sure to get the tray as well. Toys'r'us have a great special (in QLD) on the Bumbo and tray at the moment. I have an aqua one. Here is a pic of DD when she was 6 months old in her Bumbo.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...21&ppuser=6864

ETA: Sorry, I tried to rotate it but it became distorted.

We took it everywhere!

TTFN
    Last edited by LuckyStar; April 19th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.

hi gang

Been busy this week so not much time....
    i feel yuk atm,i have a shocking ear n throat infection grrrrr,i have stabbing pain in my left ear...ouch so not expecting much sleep
    Nixon is doing well,the Losec must have kicked in,we still get catnapping during day but the sleeps have and are improving..ive also been giving him Brauers stomach calm,been great as an alternative therapy for reflux...We also went back to his original formula which was Heinz nurture 1 gold and Karicare gold plus adding the karicare thickener to his bottles,its worked a treat,hes now having around 150 ml and finishing his bottles,,,so much happier,the car trips are still a little issue but have improved so much!!!
    My boys 3 months old today..yay
    cant wait for him to sleep thru the night,.he goes bed around 7-8pm,had dreamfeed at 11pm sleeps til 3or 4am wakes for feed then sleeps til 7-8am...not too bad,im not comparing but everyone else i know with kids same age has them sleeping right through from 11pm-8am????????? i bloody wish!! hes a good kid though so cant complain,hes such a talker(like his mum)some of the noises now,omg!!! they are so funny
    anyways im off to get some food,nurofen+ and try sleep early night as im gonna have a hell of a night with my earache..
    Hope everyone had a nice easter,mmm i still have 2 choccky rabbits to devour
    what diet??
    cheers bon

soniebon - you sound like you have the same as my hubby - terrible throat infection, fever and aches, now a bad cold..........it is so horrible. I hope you get better very soon.

I have a bad sinus cold, and sore throat now too. better not get any worse! all i can take is panadol too, nothing stronger, 'cause of breastfeeding.

Hey, I think your little one is doing well in the sleeping department. Amara gets feed about 7.30pm and goes until about 2am and then wakes at 5.30 and then I feed her as the sun is coming up -about 5.45am...

Ladies - 2 questions - first, dreamfeeders - so does this mean you wake your bubba up to feed? do they generally feed well or are too sleepy sometimes??

second - going to their own room - when did you do this? I am starting to think Amara may be ready to go her room to sleep and this may help us all.... she is 11 weeks this week.

thanks ladies,
    oh and Ren - I will check out this Bambo seat you speak of!

Runner - the dream feed is where you pick up your baby from their sleep but don't wake them.... don't talk to them or unwrap them and just feed them with the bottle or breast. It's easier I think when you feed them with the bottle.... i've done both. breast is harder i think!! lol but it takes practise i guess... i tend to fumble around too much when getting ready to breastfeed haha! i give DD her dream feed at 10pm each night unless she's awake then i just feed her normally.
    With a dreamfeed no need to burp them just put them straight back down and go to bed... cos they dont' take in much air when they have a dream feed as they arent gulping iykwim? hope that helps.

Bon - my DD is about the same with her sleeping. will only sleep 4-5hrs then wake for a feed usually... lucky if i get 5-6hrs sleep straight thru.... it will happen one day..... they are still so young. hang in there. good work with the formula etc working better for him.

Well best be off... Ava is having her 830-930 sleep now (bit late today!!) and in there talking to herself wanting me to come back in lol but i'm not... she's not crying so she's ok to be left. When she starts crying i'll go in. (if she does!) In the meantime must get some work done around the house.....

Oh! And last night it was sooooo cute... DH upset Ava when he sneezed and was holding her and she had the coathanger bottom lip happenign so cute and he went "awwww sorry Ava" and she kept on with the lip just about crying, i walk over and say "ooooh poor Ava" and she then started bawling!!!! LOL it was funny cos she saw me and heard me so then she started... i picked her up cuddled her and she stopped!!! hehe i think these babies are smarter than we realise

REN - lol on the dream feed with the breast - I've tried it a few times with Ella but inevitably i end up waking her up! - She still feeds normally but am yet to be able to put her down without burping!!

Quick question ladies
    - is anyone else finding that their bub doesnt like tummy time? - I've done tummy time with Ella since she was 5 weeks, but the last 2 weeks she just cries and fights it - the longest i can leave her is about 2 mins and thats with all the toys and propping her up with a rolled up towel!! - her head control is really good even without the tummy time, but you read so much (and get told by the MCHN) how important it is for their development that im starting to worry now that her neck muscles will go weak again - any suggestions?

hi guys

hope all had a good weekend

Dreamfeed has never worked on R so we don't bother now MCHN said that sometimes it works better when bubs gets older so might try again in a month or so

With tummy time R isnt so bad but we have to do it after his woken up but before a feed so very small window of acceptable tummy time.

Gill our pead told us that you can't tell the difference between bubs who have had tummy time and bubs that haven't at 18 months so don't feel bad some of the other things you can do that seem to be working for us are if you hold bubs high on ur shoulder so arms and head are above ur shoulder they are exercising neck muscles. you can also prop them up on a pillow at a high angle the same way. If you have a bath together the kicking strenthens legs and back or she might be happy to lie on ur chest in the bath and push up

gotta go R is squirming around trying to have a convo lol he sounds like his telling me off for not being there to stare lovingly at him

Hey girls

Hope u all had a great weekend

On the dreamfeed, Harley will have one if he hasn't had a feed by 8pm, so sort of either when I go to bed if its a late night, or generally I wake around 11.30 - 12pm for a toilet break and he is sort of stirring so I get a bottle and feed him then. He pretty much stays asleep for it. Do any of u dreamfeeding change as well? I have been but I find his nappy isn't even full...

On moving rooms, we haven't done that yet as DP still has to paint the old cot and put it back together!! I swear he is running out of time!! I wanted it painted as its white and Charlotte was a biter and it has bite marks everywhere, looks shocking!

Hope all of u with colds are feeling better!! I just have a headache that comes and goes, but I think its to do with my neck being out. I really need to have it looked at, just hesitant about it as I dont want it any worse. But DP has a good chiropractor so will see him when I get round to it.
    Harley has a lil bit of cradle cap, the chemist guy said to just put baby oil in his hair and comb it and hopefully it will clear up, otherwise they have some stuff to treat it. I never experienced this before!

Well Im gonna head off...sorry I haven't been able to catch up on personals, just very tired, which I'm sure u will all understand Hope u girls are all good and ur babies are well!
    Talk soon

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by mir View Post
    Gill our pead told us that you can't tell the difference between bubs who have had tummy time and bubs that haven't at 18 months so don't feel bad some of the other things you can do that seem to be working for us are if you hold bubs high on ur shoulder so arms and head are above ur shoulder they are exercising neck muscles. you can also prop them up on a pillow at a high angle the same way. If you have a bath together the kicking strenthens legs and back or she might be happy to lie on ur chest in the bath and push up
    Thanks Mir - i think im just getting "over anxious 1st time mummyitis!" - as i have done the things you mentioned and Ella seems to enjoy them so maybe its just that she doesnt like being flat flat on her tummy - i know she enjoys it more with a pillow but i thought being elevated wouldn't allow her to use the muscles as much! - I'll keep up with the pillow and carrying her high - thanks again!

Gill - don't worry Ava doesn't like much tummy time either! some days 2mins, other days 5mins but usually 5mins tops. they say try to do it in small intervals throughout the day so 2mins here and there... i never find there is enough time in the day for that though with feeding and settling and nappy changes etc!! lol but i try.
    all the other stuff like carrying them on your shoulder etc is great. I'm sure Ella has a strong little neck! and i'm glad i'm not the only one that fumbles around with the dreamfeed trying to get the boob out and not wake DD!!!
    Mummydeb - I'll only change my DD if she has a really soaking nappy. if its pretty dry i dont bother. if shes already awake then i will.

Ooohhh I have a headache. Ava has been awake since 12 midday and only just went down talk about a long afternoon..... visited a friend at her place so it shook her routine a bit... it's hard tho cos' you can't stay home all the time!!!!

Off to clean the loo's before DH gets home *sighs*... DH has cooked a lovely meal in the crockpot i just put in the oven for him.... mmm smells good!!! I need to cook more....

just a quikie 4 me as square eyes nixon is on my lap as i type n we about to have a bath n bed...
    dreamfeed-bout 11 or 12 we dont wake him,i do 3am-4am feed n change his bum only if hes had a big dreamfeed,most nyts i do,he is going back to sleep otherwise he hates wet or pooey nappy....
    im gonna get one of them rubber seat things(BUMBO) u lot been going on about.seen one today n its ideal......
    nixon been so good today,good sleeping,good in car,meds r working,we seeing paed again 2moro...
    i think i have sinus infection,not only do my ears ache but i have headache n faceache...best be going docs
    im off nix getting tired n grumpy
    He dont like tummy time but he likes upright time
    cheers son n nixon

Hi Ladies......

Just had a very unsettled Henry, not like him at all. He's got a shocking cough atm and is overtired I think - hasn't had a decent length sleep today. Last night though he slept 8.5 hours Biggest sleep ever - I think 'cos he is unwell and needs the recovery. Anyway it was great except that I lay in bed for hours wondering whyhe wasn't waking

Runner - Not sure about travelling with kids in Japan - all our travel ws pre-kids when we were ignorant to all those things! People are mega helpful though and lovely so I reckon you'd be ok.

H doesn't have much tummy time either but is strong too. Don't stress too much ladies unless there is a specific need too I say!

Mmmm might geta bumbo too - they look good! Lucie and Ned will steal it I'm sure they - it's the first thing they both grab when we visit the baby shop.

And BF and dreamfeeds - did it with Ned and it worked a treat, but yeah he was probably a bit older. Don't do it at all with H. I'm more inclined just to let them sleep these days!

Default What a lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ava HATES sitting in her carseat!!! As soon as I put her in before we go out she starts crying!!! Everytime! Even if it's just after a feed, after a sleep, after play etc no matter when I put her in, she hates it. Anyway, Mum suggested I buy some relaxation music for the car because car trips can be quite stressful when Ava is screaming and almost stops breathing
    On the weekend DH and I bought 2 "Baby Einstein" music cd's, one for her nursery and one for the car..... well, well, well.... one of the BEST things we've ever bought
    I recommend them!! They are classical music.... and so relaxing and I don't mind listening to it either! We play it when she wakes up to start her day and in the evening when it's time for bed and winding down time.... seems to work a treat!! She listens to it and even falls asleep at times! It's really good for their development (music). We are going to get the DVD's aswell....

Hope everyone has a nice day. We're off to the health clinic today for a talk on "baby massage" and to get Ava weighed. Hopefully she's put on some more weight. I get nervous!! as we aren't doing as many top up feeds.

Max hates tummy time as well! I started him on it fairly early, cos my nephew didn't like it and I was trying to get Max used to it before he knew what he liked and didn't like Well, to start with he was fine, and then the MCHN told me I needed to do it more and ever since then he's hated it! We're lucky if we get him to stay for 2 mins. His neck is getting stronger though - he can hold it up fine if he's over our shoulder or something, so I'm not worrying too much. We go to the health centre again on Thurs though, so will see what she says.

Ladies, I don't think I told you that I started mother's group last week, finally! I could only stay for half an hour as we had to leave for our holiday. Also in that time I had to feed Max. Well, I think we made ourselves memorable, even apart from having to leave early - Max did some really loud farts and everyone heard! Oh wel, at least while they're this young it's just funny

This dreamfeed thing sounds interesting. Max doesn't feed when he's asleep. Eg this morning he woke at 6.30 after an 8 hour sleep (the first in about a week) and had one side then fell asleep. Usually he wakes when I change his nappy, but not today. Thought I'd try the other side anyway, but he paid no attention and just went on sleeping. Instead of a dreamfeed I usually give him 2 feeds reasonably close together - one whenever he wakes up (I guess usually around 7-8) and then another when he's starting to get tired again, around 9.30-10. I feed him to sleep then and he usually sleeps for at least 4-5 hours. So I guess that's working for us.

We head home from our holiday today and I have to say that, although it has been nice visiting DH's sister, I will be very glad to get home and back into a routine. It's also been hard as SIL has a dog that is alwasy inside, so we've had to watch Max or hold him constantly, instead of being able to leave him on his mat to do his own thing.

ETA I just tried tummy time while propped up on a pillow and it was much more successful than usual! Thanks for the tip!

Gypsy - we recently started mothers group at the health clinic also!! Don't worry the first time we went (2 weeks ago) Ava kept farting and I'm sure the ladies either side of me were smelling it hehe I hope they didnt think it was me!!! haha!! Do your mum's meet after for coffee? Our group will be doing this soon so that should be fun. Just need someone to organise it....one Mum to say "cmon girls lets go" hehe Our group is on Tues 2-3pm so today it's on, i look forward to getting out of the house.

That's a great idea whoever suggested the pillow with tummy time. I might try that when DD wakes up!

Who else here takes photos almost every day of your little one? They grow too fast in just a week so i try to take pics almost every day!!!!

Hello everyone! I have had a busy 2 days...have been at the hospi with DD with 40+ temps that we couldn't get down with panadol. She is OK now, except that she has lost 500g. She now only weighs 9.9 at nearly 2 years old. They said she is nearly 4kg underweight for her height (she is tall) and was asked a lot of questions. Anway, they think she may be a celiac and have labelled her failure to thrive. We have a few follow up appointments but will be getting second opinions. We had bloods tests galore so will see what comes back. Dash was a dream being passed around all the nurses and then eventually hubby and family when it came apparent that we were staying for a while. God bless him....it would have been a nightmare if he had not 'played the game' yesterday. He is a bit sad today because obviously with all the meds he takes, he became a little muddled yesterday with different people taking charge but we will get past that.

As for dreamfeeds. I could feed DD when she was asleep but as I mentioned earlier this week, Dash can't do more than two things at once - that includes sleeping and feeding at the same time! I am lucky that I don't need to do this with him anyway. It is a very quick way of feeding bubs at night. Never really thought about dreamfeeding when breastfeeding....sounds a little harder.

Ren: Both my kidlets went straight into their own cot in their own room first night home from hospi (our choice and it works for us but got criticised a lot for doing it)....with music as a background. I agree about bubs relaxing and them settling well with it, especially in the car. I was part of a study when having DD. We had to play the same classical song from 18 weeks until birth and see if it had any soothing effects when bubs was born. I did the same with DS. Well, the results are in and it does (for me anyway). Both DD and DS self settle to the same CD practically from when they were first home. The actual study results are swaying this way as well. Maybe a fluke....maybe not he he. I know my bubs are bottle fed but most bubs in the study were breastfed with similar results. Well done on working out that Ava loves the music....maybe she will be a musician??

GTG....starting to over talk again...but being isolated in a hospi (yes, we were in an isolation unit) leaves you a little needy for conversation. TTFN xx
    Last edited by LuckyStar; April 21st, 2009 at 07:53 PM.

ETA: Gypsy: Hope you enjoy mothers group. You may be lucky to find a great new mummy friend. I did and it is so nice to have someone understanding you can vent with that 'gets it'. LOL about the loud farts - go Max!! Better out than in he he.

Oh Ren...I have found that I don't take as many photos of Dash...I feel really bad. Just not as much time....now to find the excuse when he is older and points this out (bad mummy he he). A good photo to take is one about 3 or 4 months with their size in comparison to a pillow. You put their head at one end of the pillow and straighten them out with feet pointing to the other end. It gives you a good indication of size. We should all take one at the same time and have a look see at how much our little ones have grown!!
    Last edited by LuckyStar; April 21st, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast