Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #15

Must share this - DH is upstairs watching Flynn sleep - both of them are so cute!!

Good one for your DH, Bath! My cousin's BF that I was telling you about has been noticed by all the right people for the work he does at his branch, so he might get a bit of a sweetener, too - would be good because everything's going his way and he is still thinking of going back to Ireland to live...if his work can keep treating him well (paying for his MBA...he hadn't even finished his degree before leaving Ireland with my cousin!) then the chances increase of him (and therefore my cousin) staying here to have their family Your DH's employer is a good one - I got burnt whilst working for them because I was working through an agency and it was the call centre, not a branch.
    Simone, hope you can start feeling better soon - do you have any idea what it is?
    Jaspen - glad your party went well, sorry about your IL's!
    Oscar waking for feed, doh! BBL
    ETA: Rory, did you take a photo??
    I paid my rego today - at the LPO, without having to go on a journey to Burwood. No issue with my ID and half my name appearing on the rego slip, so I'm convinced it was hardarse Friday when DP went in for me! Yay, I get to drive my own car again!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; October 23rd, 2006 at 02:03 PM.

IK no idea whats going on, seeing as though i am feeling abit better now, i think it just was a bug. Im still having back cramps though Thank goodness you have your car back *yay*!!

Haven't caught up on posts yet but just updating our weekend.
    the wedding was lovely. Unfortunatley freezing! it was windy & about 10degrees at one stage. he slept through the whole ceremony so didnt have to worry about him crying!
    i posted a pic of Nixon in his outfit on his website. this was his christening outfit but we forgot to take a shot of just him. anyway 3 weeks ago that outfit fit well. This time it was getting tight! Mum & dad couldnt beleive how much heavier he felt in just 3 weeks (last time they saw him)
    so it was good to have them down for a few days (left thismorning)
    the babysitter went well. it did feel a little strange leaving him with a stranger but dh & I both went back once each to check everything was alright! which it was.
    anyway b back later

Nic, thats great that everything went well... He looks gorgeous in that outfit... he even looks a tad bigger than he did at the meet!! Isnt it unfair how quickly they grow up? Soon you'll be getting clucky lol

i just wanted to say i also watched 60min last night.
    Although i agree the Paed was very one sided i didnt really agree with those women on AP. Like one of them "doesnt beleieve" in nappies??? so every time her son cues he needs to wee/poo she drops his pants and he widdles where ever. Personally i think this is wrong. we live ina very developed society these days not a society where there is no toilets & we all live in the bush etc, to squat a kid over somebody elses garden i believe is wrong & if they did it in front of my house i'd have something to say about it.
    And when he pooed on the floor & walked all through it, she laughed and said "oh u did poo poo on the floor" Like this is a socially acceptable behaviour??.
    anyway I've prob opened another can of worms here but i didn't agree with the short snippets of these peoples lives we were shown. (yes i understand the whole segment was going to be portrayed this way regardless)

Hi Girls,

I just thought i would pop my head in and say hi. Sorry i have been so rude and not came in and introduced myself. My daughter Briley was born on the 5 June. I am normally a regualar in the May Babies thread as Briley was due on the 30th May so i spent the journey of my pregnancy with the girls over there.

Let me tell you all a bit about myself...

I am 22 years old. My partner Brent and I have been together for 6 years (has'nt popped the question even after this long. ) Briley is both our first!! We have recently brought a small farm on 5 acres which we are planning to fill with more babies in the near future. This is also where we plan to raise all of our children. We are planning on TTC #2 once i get the all clear from the GYN in feb 07. I CAN'T WAIT!! I am also starting Uni next year where i will be doing my RN's then onto Midwifery.

So there is a bit about myself. I hope to get to know you all well. Now that i will be popping my head in more often!!

Welcome Sara!!!! I love your little girls name!!!. Look forward to chatting with you when you pop in - we tend to chat a lot hear in Junies!!!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Simone - hope you feel better soon...pls keep us updated when you can.
    Enigma - I love my Baby Bjorn, the trick to putting it on by yourself is to have both the bottom clips done before you put your baby in - i always use it by myself. Practice helps!
    60 minutes show on AP - gawd, they really tried to hit below the belt - what a pathetic shot at sensationalist journalisim. I wonder if we put a camera crew into any non AP home with a 3 yo (and a 3 month old) and see if they mucked up before bed! That poor lady, I just wanted to hug her.

Rory
    I had real fears that if he cried for even a minute he would end up like one of those poor Romanian babies left in their cots
    - OMG... me too!

Baths - yeah on your DH's position, such good news...i'm thrilled for you.

hello to everyone else -

Quick updated on me.... my BF has just been made GM of my old company (I helped him get a job there before I left)..which for me means I could basically do any job I wanted when I return, and get paid a lot more...so, as DH did not get his promotion, I think I will return to work full time and let DH be a SAHD..... I want to BF for a year so it will not be for a while yet, but DH likes the idea...I just don't want Ally to go into care... I'm not anti-care I am just a sop.... and it is $100 a day here...well that is my news...

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi Sara - welcome to the chatting group...

Nic - we must have posted the same time: I agree that kids should not poo everywhere - however when I travelled throug India (often on trains with families) i did not mind them pooing next to me on the train, the mum would clean it up with newpapers.. glad you had a good time - going to look at your photo now.

Just back from MCHN check up... all good... something about him growing 3cm seemed to impress the nurse... and he is 6.7 kilos now which is 300gm improvement from last month... the nurse said they slow down on weight gain from about now.... anyhow, I'm not fussed about the stats really... all I want to know is whether it's a healthy development and it sounded like it is. He's pretty much spot on average for everything.

Welcome Sara! Yes, we are very chatty so please don't feel left behind in the gush LOL Just dive right in and join us, sensitive subjects and all! Take Nic for example she thinks she's "opened a can of worms" with her last comment but she hasn't.... she's just voicing her perfectly reasonable opinion in a tactful manner. This is why I love this group of Junies... we all feel able to be honest.

CeeCee: forgot to say i looove Ally's new ticker pic... very cute indeed!

I'll have to come back later... Wade being a bit silly.... can't concentrate.

ETA: Enigma: Loved the 3 Minute Management Course... forwarded it to my DH... no doubt he will ponder these "lessons" and share the wisdom with his team LOL

ETA: Rory... is Flynn sleeping on your DH's chest? You gotta take a piccy of that... they are the cutest picys... especially if the Dad is sleeping too or if they both have their mouths wide open and drooling etc! LOL

Welcome to our group Sara.

Well DH came home at 12:30 this arvo, he'd been to the drs, this morning he woke up with the same head cold and cough as the boys and he wouldn't listen to me and stay home, so he made it worse by working and ended up with chest pains and shortness of breath. They did an ECG but nothing wrong, the doctor said he had a chest infection and a infection near his stomach that was making his solor plexis (sp?) sore.

Cody's cough is getting worse so will be going to the doctors tomrrow, DH has until Wednesday off.

Bath congrats on DH bonus and that his peers rate him so highly.

hugs xoxo

LOL Amanda... he IS popular at work but it's not his peers that rank him it's a bonus system based on his performance COMPARED to his peers (ie managers at his level)... they are all judged by how well they grow their portfolios (group of clients that they manage) and whether they complete all the training they need to do throughout the year (just 2 examples of a long list of requirements). Because my DH doesn't receive commission on his lending he is encouraged to perform well in all these other areas. He was quite surprised that he had done so well given all the distraction of having a new baby and the extra time off he had for Niall's arrival AND the fact that his assistant had an extra month off for IVF treatment as well (she experienced some kind of complication resulting in a failure... quite sad... DH was very supportive though even though he was technically disadvantaged because he lacked an assistant for a month and they didn't take this into consideration when they "ranked" him grrrrr.

Am just thinking about Karen... Hoping she's doing ok.... and the Dees too....

Hey ladies, Welcome SARA....We've prob met in the May group somewhere as Pat was born on the 24th May at 35+5 weeks.

Cograts Bath on DH's promotion!

Just on elimination communication (EC); there are different ways of adopting it, just like with cloth nappies you can have full time EC'ers and part time EC'ers. Some start from birth, others from later on. There is A LOT more to it than just popping your child over someone's rose bush, and that's one of the reasons this segment was so stupid. You can't explain EC in a 10 second grab whilst you try to bag everything else about a style of parenting! Dr Sarah Buckley is a very respected health professional who advocates gentle parenting and she practices EC - it's not just for barbarians and tree-hugging hippies, as the show would suggest! Kids who have practiced EC toilet train much sooner than nappied children, that much has been shown, so no, they do not spend 4 years squatting in someone's garden...but 60 Minutes wasn't going to tell you that, were they? As for 'accidents', I know of enough toddlers who are known to pull off their nappies and smear the contents all over their bedding and walls...I don't judge those parents as if they condone it - yet they still have a laugh about it cos what else are you going to do? A child has a lifetime of feeling shame, why make them feel ashamed about a natural function that they can't even physically control yet? Nappies or not, I KNOW messy, pooey accidents can happen! If you haven't read about AP, then this 60 Minutes show doesn't really give you a basis to criticise it because it only portrayed a twisted, highly edited (for their own purposes - I think we were supposed to roll our eyes when one of the mums left the room to tend to a crying child in another part of the house whilst filming...she would have been roasted had she not investigated something happening whilst she wasn't supervising!) and false version of what AP is and aims to do. Put it this way, responding to your child's needs the way AP advocates is actually recommended so that your child can adjust socially and independently later on when they interact with peers. Research has shown that for decades. There are AP groups in most capital cities and regions to support parents who AP - like Rory said, it should just be a given that you can parent in this way, but unfortunately it is not. For example, I know of a few mothers who can tell stories of the many times they have been asked by perfect strangers, whilst BFing a toddler, "Isn't s/he a bit old for that?" How about 'None of your freaking business???" Just like BFing women shouldn't need the ABA, it is an important support tool for many, many BFing women, in a world where BFing was once considered to be for animals (like, duh, we ARE mammals!) and barbarians and was actively discouraged. In a bid to 'free' women in the 50's, women became enslaved to formula companies! Anyway, I'm in danger of a major digression there. To those of you who didn't watch 60 Minutes, you only missed warped reporting of an otherwise completely normal thing. Those of you who watched and haven't read or heard much about AP, try to erase the story from your mind because it was too twisted for words (although I'm giving it a red hot go to put it into words!).
    I know I'm doing AP - babywearing, co-sleeping (again, some parents sleep separately, some don't - we don't), demand feeding, intention to do extended BFing, immediate comforting where physically possible, take him everywhere we go, no strict routines (it's not like I keep him awake - he'll sleep whether he's in the HAB, bassinette or our bed, so he's not being harmed). What I do does in no way feel like the shameful thing 60 Mins was trying to make it out to be. And no-one in the AP people interviewed said anything about no boundaries, sense of right or wrong etc for the paed to think they were going to grow up being anarchists! And as for "in 5 years' time they'll be spoiled"...complete rubbish.
    Nickers, the can of worms was already open, so don't worry! Each to their own, but don't take anything you saw last night as a glimpse into the lives of AP kids!
    Welcome Sara. Sorry, baptism of fire today! Good one on the farm - that's what I want (albeit, I want a little more than 5 acres...more like 50).
    Bath - I hope the advisor guy who came to our place the other week gets a nice bonus! He works for your DH's employer, too, and his wife gave birth to their first the day before he came out to see us (he is in the Sth Melb area, but my cousin's DP got him for us) and then again a week later...he was supposed to be on leave! DP gave him a bunch of beautiful waratah's when he left, to make it up to his wife for working...no skin off our nose, DP is sick of waratah's after an intense few weeks picking them for export.
    Gotta go and see what's in the house that we can eat with these yummy sausages DP bought...some of those tinned beans are looking good, maybe some fresh tomato, some shrooms, beetroot...
    Hot day tomorrow - woo-hoo! DP cut the grass out the back so I'll lay Oscar on a blanket in the nuddy.
    Catch you later...
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; October 23rd, 2006 at 06:26 PM. Reason: had to remove some exclamation marks...way too many and it's a pet hate of mine...

IK PMSL at your reason for editing!!!!!!! (just joking :P)

Bath i might be able to come in to Melb Central friday, DH finishes work at 3, so i'd need to pick him up from William St/Flagstaff Station then... You have to pick up Verity at 3 anyway, if i rememer correctly... Anyone else up for another (mini) catch up?? Congrats on DH's promotion, i remember you mentioning he was up for it. Way to go!!!

Hi Sara, welcome to the Junies!! We're a cool bunch in here, we chat HEAPS (dont miss a day, or you'll never catch up...) and there's always some sort of discussion going on

With the parenting thing, i say each to their own. We were all brought up different ways, so we will parent how we think is right. I think smacking is ok (to a certain extent, and i use it in extreme cases, i try positive parenting, and time out first) but other people are very anti-smacking. Everyone has different opinions about everything, thats the way life is!!

Cant wait until tomorrow, hopefully i should be completely over this bug and be able to do my washing... Xander's on his last pair of jocks! Its just me and my puter tonight, dh's is at his SES meeting tonight, it doesnt finish until about 10, then he'll be chatting until god knows when...

Xander making me laugh, everyone's his "bestest friend" at the moment, and Fender the Bender Robot off Futurama is the lucky winner tonight lol He's such a dork...

Simone - DP is also not opposed to smacking in extreme circumstances (I'm sure he would have advocated it in your biting case!), and more for shock factor (the fact that a smack is being issued) than hurt factor. He said he was smacked once...something he did that was REALLY bad...and never did again! Me, I was smacked way too much, and it wasn't just smacking, it had rage behind it before that parent (I think we know who...) sort of learned to curb that rage (umm, by then I was putting up with less of that 'smacking' caper, anyway), so I'm not down with it and I won't be using it. I see people smacking their dogs, even, and it seems so unnecessary. I don't want my kids to react like myself and my family dogs did when I was younger and someone would raise a hand (even if to do something benign like scratch a head!) and cringe, with me raising my arms to my body to protect it. I wasn't abused in a criminal way, but I was a bit of an outlet for rage when I put a foot even slightly out of place (messy room, swearing at school, forgetting something), more than my sister was. DP didn't get this, so I can see how he believes a well timed smack to be effective. I just don't want to go down that road at all. I have a beautifully tempered dog and he's never been physically punished - he is obedient and loyal and you can get that out of kids without raising a hand (but I HAVE to believe that cos I won't resort to smacking!).
    Umm, yes, upon a quick proof read, I have not overused that pesky exclamation mark - geez, it was almost in nearly every sentence in my last post before I edited it, sheesh!

If im angry when i discipline the kids, i will only put them in their rooms. I refuse to smack them in anger. What also makes it harder is my bipolar, so sometimes i find it hard to control myself.... So if something sets me off, i put them in their rooms. That way i have time to calm down and so do they. Its hard being a parent with a mental illness... On the plus side, Xander has stopped biting his brother now, it took alot to stop that though... Sometimes its so hard having 3 under 3...

DHS have finally organised child care for me, i have to wait 3 weeks for it as i want Anneliese in a couple of days too. Xander and Declan will be in Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and i want Anneliese in two of those days. I will just express-feed when she's in care. I just need some time out, i've been so off lately... But i feel so selfish. But i remember how much the boys loved being in care (i worked from the time Declan was 2 months old up until i was 8 weeks pg with Anneliese/Declan was about 10 months old. They loved it, and it really helped with their speech and motor skills.)

Anyone watching Idol?? I love Andrew G's hair cut!!!
    Last edited by simone; October 23rd, 2006 at 07:57 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast