Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #15

Hi Simone...

I don't know if i like the cut or not!! Who got evicted?? I am was watching Maternity Ward on Discovery...

no time.. sleep awaits... Welcome Sara !

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi all
    Baby Yoga today - yeah...now if only Ally would go to sleep (she has been up since 5am) it would be great..she did this last week too, refused to go to sleep for DH, then for me, so I spent half the class with her screaming as she was over tired...oh well...

Idol: i have been watching it, however now that Bobby is gone I tend to chanel surf a bit.... I also felt a tad disturbed by the two 17 yo girls on the show - way too much pressure for those two country girls. I grew up in the country, we are a lot more protected than the city kids I think. Sara, Lisa was evicted..LOL at Maternity ward - way to real for me at the moment!

Yeah, baby girl is asleep - we listen to music now each sleep time.. and you have all seen my hammock moves! goinf to shower...chat later!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

OMG -she is awake again - 15mins....normally i don't care, but baby yoga is a lot more fun when your baby does not cry for 15mins then fall asllep! Last week i had to pretend that a bolster was my baby so i could at least participate! LOL

Bellsmum - forgot to say yeah your still BF.that is great. i have a friend who has also comp feed since birth (3 weeks ago), i will tell her that it does not necessariely mean your milk will dry up...
    Last edited by Cee_Cee99; October 24th, 2006 at 09:00 AM.

Comp feeding - doesn't necessarily lead to your milk will dry up, but if does mean you produce less - not good if you have a low supply to begin with (as in, you're not going to boost it by tellling your body to produce less!), but not such a potential problem if you don't have a supply issue and you intend to comp feed from then on in. Like I've said, every drop that you give your child that you didn't produce is another drop that you won't produce - and low supply is more common than oversupply, so it's important that women know that about comp feeding (forewarned is forearmed and all). However, if someone does suffer a drop in supply, not all is lost - a bit of persistence (and a slightly hungrier child momentarily!) and you can get that supply back up again That's the beauty of being mammals, 'have mammary glands, will lactate!' (in most cases!).
    Well, since Friday night this is the third 5 hour sleep stint (nearly 6 last night) Oscar has allowed me...it's weird. I am not entirely comfortable to realise that I slept soundly that whole time - I'd like to be more conscious more readily should he wake up with an upset belly or if he falls off the bed!
    Well, the cherub is asleep in the bed right now so I'd better make the most of it and have my shower...

Morning Ladies,

I knew Lisa would go!!

Had an early morning this morn. Briley got me up at 7am. She normally lets me sleep till 8am!! So we got up and made some mashed nanna and had a bottle. I gave her a feed of mashed veg last night and i think it has made some change to her sleeping patterns. She was going through a phase of waking up every 2 hours. So now she is on solids i have seen some improvement.

I have cleaning on the agenda today but the ol AF is slowing me down big time. I always get lathargic on the first few days.

Cee Cee - I love Maternity Ward. I sit there and bawl my eyes out!! Not sure how i expect to be a midwife!! I will be there crying with everyones else!! They'll prolly kick me out!! Too real for you hey. I can't wait to go back for #2. Hopefully early next year. When Briley is around 8-9 months!!

Hope everyone else is have a good start to the day!!

BBL

Hope you perk up, soon, Sara!
    Oscar is still sleeping, but I don't know if I have enough time up my sleeve to go out and put out some nappies on the line...I already got an entire shower out of him...and I'm fully dressed - he's not on the ball today! He's being a bit cute and keeps pulling the doona over his head when I try to pull it down away from his face...I'm not too worried cos it's a light wool doona and it's not ON his face, just pulled up over his head, the monkey.
    A friend has just come back from a year OS so I may try to visit today. Off to the library for their baby storytime this afternoon Should be good. I don't have to feel guilty, either, cos I saw my horse yesterday and he can spend today under a tree (I think I brushed half his winter coat off yesterday, after he lost my beloved summer rug that I got when I got him...almost 6 years ago - Candy would agree that 6 years is a bloody good innings for a summer rug! Then again, it wasn't a well-known, common Horseland brand one...still, it ouches to lose a rug - I could only find less than half of it in the paddock, well and truly gone!). Anyway, I digress...and lose precious laundering time!

Hi Sara! congratulations on your gorgeous daughter! my bub was due in June but came in April, & although i have formed a nice friendship with the april buddies too i always kept chatting with June because we started together!
    Nixon tried banana for the first time today to! so far there hasnt been anything he has not liked we have tried sweet pot,potato,pear,apple,banana,carrot, rice cerial. still just introducing one new food every3rd day to make sure he doesnt have a reaction to anything.
    Nixon has dropped a bf too so he is on 4 feeds a day (2-3 bf & 1-2 bottle)now & 2 solids. Last night his last feed was at 5.30pm, bed by 7pm so i thought see how long he lasts.....he woke at 7am thismorning! (he had been having his last about 8pm then sleeping still 7ish)
    did anyone see Today show thismorning, they were talking about the AP segment that was on 60mins. i have to say what the dr was saying today sounded kinda was i was trying to get at yesterday & not saying that AP is all negative & many parents partly AP meaning co-sleeping etc.(by the way i dont have a prob with co-sleeping ) but are some parents not harming their child because of this but at some stage the shild is going to have to stop bf, at some stage the child is going to move in their own bed & learn to go to the toilet on a toilet & will these children adapt to the sudden changes of what they have become used to over the past 5yrs etc. i understand children are going to have accidents on the floor from time to time nappies or not but if they are taught it is socially acceptable to go whereever they want to then how will this society of children live later in life? will it become acceptable ins schools to go and squat behind a tree as appose to using the bathroom?
    anyway everyone uses what works, for me my son loves his own cot i dont love him any less because he sleeps in his own bed. anyway i think I've voiced my thoughts on this enough!
    i wont be able to make it for a meet on friday, we are getting some cementing done around the side of the house (hopefully friday) so i need to put the dogs in the garage therefore stay home with them.

Like I've said before, if you're only exposure to AP is what you've seen recently on TV, then I'm afraid you don't have a great basis for opinion on it! Let me tell you now. EC kids use toilets sooner than nappied kids. Co-sleeping is a choice more parents make than will admit to (and it takes many forms, including kids coming to bed early in the morning!), of COURSE kids stop BFing! It's called infant-led weaning and there's a thread on it right here on BB, so it's not such a freaky thing. People have been APing for ages, right up to the present time...how many 15 year olds do you see still BFing just cos their parents didn't wean them at 2yo? How many 15 yo'd do you know of who still co-sleep? Co-sleeping kids DO show a preference for sleeping on their own, generally by the age of 4 and up until that time they are weaning themselves from the family bed...so none of this entering the rest of society business comes as a shock to these kids. They are generally well-adjusted kids who show a greater propensity for social independence and confidence when they interact with peers (pre-school etc) than other kids - I know this seems contradictory, but I've read the research (well, the tip of the iceberg of research) and the anecdotes and I know people who do all or some of these AP things. No, no-one's judging anyone who doesn't AP, so why should people be judged if they do? Especially when it's based on inaccuracy and half-truths? It's like having an opinion on the digestive system of birds when your specialty is fish and you've never picked up a text about birds, only ever seen them sitting on trees! Our societal fear of returning to 'savagery' is really misplaced when it comes to AP, it's bemusing...
    Well, today I tried my shoulder sling for the first time in piggy back mode - and put the washing out with it...he had a great time! Now he's in koala mode, and fidgeting a bit - fighting sleep is my guess.
    Got a few more loads of washing to do - perfect day for it and I haven't spent the morning in bed, for once!
    My eBay terry nappies arrived, so I'll wash them and they'll be ready by the end of today. So, I've got half and half of coloured terries and white ones, with the flannel pile getting smaller as I use them up, wash them and put them away...my little boy is growing up Can I say again how much fun I am having with this cloth nappy caper? Disposables are great, especially at night, but they take the fun out of having a baby!
    Howzat about the wrong baby being given to the mummies to BF in hospital over the weekend? To me the issue is that the mummies were separated in the first place for this to happen, but the actual BFing another child (to me) is no biggie, no great affront to my sensitivities - it's just indicative of why hospitals need to be genuinely 'baby-friendly' and discourage mummies and babies being separated whilst checked in. No way was I in danger of feeding the wrong baby cos Oscar was in my sight, in our bed or on my chest at all times! There's another one for the argument with my mum about letting the midwives take the baby away to give me a 'rest' - she thought I was mad that I wouldn't want a break from a new baby. Sheesh, it's not at the start that you need the break, it's later down the track. And I haven't arrived that far down the track yet, though I fully understand how some women DO need that break. I digress, my point is about the hospital mix up. They could have potentially taken the wrong babies home!

ETA: Sorry, Nic, if I've made you feel 'jumped on'...not my intention! I just see a falsehood being perpetuated about something I know about and I feel compelled to rectify it here. I'm not attacking you in the least, just illustrating how TV 'current affairs' scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to keep audiences so that the advertisers feel their dollar is going further. I just hate that people are afraid to admit that they do co-sleeping, babywearing, EC etc because they know that its misunderstood and that they'll have to justify it if found out. Me, I'm not afraid to say it to anyone who asks how Oscar is sleeping and how I'm coping with demand feeding (fine, thanks, cos we co-sleep!). I think this is why I prefer my ABA group to my mothers group - by virtue of where I live (Dandy Ranges - tree hugging hippy land!), there are lots of AP and Natural Parenters in my ABA group and we share information and experiences. It's nice to talk about what you do with your kids without feeling defensive or deviant! Again, nothing personal, Nic - it's just typical of commercial TV to distort the truth.
    ETA again: and because I am so full of integrity and the need for truth, I'm off to check out Hollywood Rag online for celebrity gossip...
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; October 24th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

To continue the AP discussion : I actually watched the 60 minutes show yesterday on ninemsn with a friend who had watched it the night before (friend has 10 mo daughter) She was going on about how wrong the parenting on the show was but then I showed her the 8 ideals of APing - turns out we are both doing most things on the list. Anyways, like I said the other day, I think we are APing without knowing it.

gotta go -my boys need me

Hi all!

Well I've taken about an hour just to catch up on posts and knew the sparks would fly about the 60 Minutes story. I didn't watch it for the reason that I knew it would be crap journalism anyway. Just the trailers showing the toddlers and school age children swarming around their mother like a barnyard cow (sorry but once they're over 18 months there is NO nutritrional value of breastmilk 'cause they are on solids - they're just comfort sucking which is totally gross at that age!!). And the ultimate turn off was putting the kid's bum in the air to go to the toilet - totally barbaric (and unhygenic) no matter what anyone thinks we just don't do that in the 21st century, civilised world! So Nic I'm with you!

I'm sure I too have opened up a can of worms but I do agree 60 minutes is a one sided and crap show anyway regardless of what I think. But as I said I didn't watch the story 'cause the trailers left me quite disgusted.

Gotta take Aleise to get immunised today and she's now crying for attention so I have to go.
    Will catch up again soon - must dash.

This may sound dumb but.....WHAT THE HELL DOES AP STAND FOR???

You guys are having a major debate here so i would like to know what we are talking about so i can make an opinion of my own!!

I think every parent should use their own methods for raising their child. I have noticed that there is so much conflicting info on raising children , from breastfeeding/formula feeding , co-sleeping , starting solids this and that.
    Everyone has their facts and figures and " great " statistic numbers to back up their own theory.
    At the end of the day we should all apply what we believe is right for OUR OWN child and let others raise their own the way they choose without trying to push our beliefs.
    Phew!
    Now that ive stated my opinion , I just wanted to say that we are starting solids on Saturday !! woohoo.. If Aneta understood im sure she'd be as excited as me

AP is "attachment parenting" - there was a supposed expose on it on 60 minutes on sunday which totally misrepresented the conept by focusing on one or two extreme examples - kind of like doing a story on how bad smacking is by profiling a family where kids are regularly belted black and blue. Attachmentparenting.org actually explains what it stands for (love your child, cuddle them lots, BF if you can, and if you can't cuddle them while feeding, co-sleep, but if you don't want to sleep close to them - nothing freaky really). I am with those who are against kids pooing in front yards but I really doubt every AP parent is into natural elimination (another term for it I think). Kind of like saying if you are in favour of "controlled crying/comforting" that you are also into depriving your two year old of her toys because she didn't make her bed (!!) Like I think the consensus is, from those on both "sides" (not that I think there should be sides in parenting) - commercial tabloid journalism ain't the most objective TV around...

ETA: Enigma I am with you that we should all be able to raise our kids the way we see fit. DH and I have found it really useful, however, to hear other peoples' stories and viewpoints. We have taken the approach of listen to and read as many views as possible and try and work out what works for our family.
    Last edited by Roryrory; October 24th, 2006 at 01:38 PM.

Hi girls... not in the best frame of mind today... had an arguement with DH over the phone about several parenting issues. His suggestion was basically "why don't you put the boys in care and return to study?" Pffft! Why on Earth does he think that will make life any better??? We disagree about verity's diet for example... he buys her crap like Fantastic Noodles and lots of other high salt/sugar fodder because apparently I should be getting up earlier to make her proper healthy snacks for school like his mum did until he was in year 12! This is despite the fact that the last time I did the shopping I bought none of that rubbish and verity "made do" with taking cheese and crackers to school (for example)... ie she has been perfectly capable of making her own lunch since she was about 7 yo and now all of a sudden he thinks I ought to be doing it. He seems so bloody hell bent on turning this family into his own disfunctional experience of a family in which he grew up. He dumped ANOTHER wet towel on the carpet last night which made my blood boil. So I'm going on strike... he can pick up his own clutter from now on and I won't tell him where stuff is if it hasn't been returned to it's rightful spot anymore. I just can't get OVER how he thinks me returning to study will fix all the chaos in our lives!!! I know it will make it worse and i certainly won't be able to study amidst it all! Geeze men have short memories... can't he remember how incredibly difficult it was when i was studying last time??? And we only had Verity... can't he remeber how he resented having to take on more duties and picking Verity up after school etc and how he said that it was having a negative impact on his job??? The thing is he has never studied since year 12 (when his mother was dutifully doing EVERYTHING for him)... he never went to uni... he worked his way up the ladder at the bank to where he is now... doing a bit of online training every so often and doing paid for courses within work time. He has never had to write essays at home... and quite frankly I know he doesan't have the time management skills to study at a tertiary level and juggle kids at the same time. Sure he is very clever and can problem solve a lot faster than his colleagues... but it's all done in the serenity of an office... trying to nut out stuff with the noise of kids and having to do things in a stop start fashion just isn't his style.... nor is multitasking.... so I really resnt him suggesting i take on more at this stage of my life amidst the chaos that he himself never "has time" to deal with.

Phew! rant over.... must be something in the air again... I'll come back when I've calmed down a bit.

ETA: Oh Geeze I didn't read all of today's posts before typing in my little tirade. Girls girls girls! Please don't let the Media Barons win! That 60 Minutes program was MEAN'T to divide opinion and force people to "take sides". I for one won't take sides because in all honesty I agree with a little of what you have all said. I also do respect people who take the time to fully research an issue before stating their opinions... however it is also ok to have an opinion based on your values. I agree wholeheartedly that most of us are actually practising a lot of Attachment Parenting already. Regarding the BFing of older children I reserve judgement. It is not a black and white issue. Something that does spring to mind though is that if our family was thrust into poverty I would continue to express my milk for as long as possible because nutritionally it will always have value akin to gold. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable attaching an older child (beyond 2yo) but if some people do then that's there business... what would society prefer? A mother doing this or a mother feeding a child crap like Maccas every day.... compare both sceanrios and question which choice has the greater cost to society? Which child would grow up healthier and which child will grow up being a drain on the health system due to ill health? How would you like your tax dollar spent? When in doubt i try to look at things objectively... please don't be offended. What I'm saying is that when you are outraged by an 'extreme' you've got to look at the other 'extreme' rather than compare it to the 'norm'. Regarding kids doing their "business" outside. Yes, this grosses me out... but come summer I bet you all will be tempted to let your little ones play outside in the backyard without a nappy...and voila! they will do it on the lawn... just make sure a journalist isn't in the vicintiy because you too could be labelled a "freak". *sigh* Just hose it into the grass and move on... your little darling won't turn feral... if you don't make a fuss you might avoid it becoming a barrier to effective toilet training.... gotta keep emotions away from elimination or else you're setting yourselves up for huge hassles.... that's just my experience. I'm not saying to praise such behaviour I'm just saying "reinforce positive behaviour and ignore the negative" and you will have more results. Then again you might prefer to spend a fortune on Little Swimmers when you want to let your child have water play at home. Oh and speaking of being grossed out: I am currently grossed out by Wade's need to constantly pick his nose... but through constant and kind words i am daily reinforcing that "we don't do that on the train.... we don't do that in the shops.... we don't do that at Kinder...." and you know what... he (generally) doesn't. However if I scolded he would become sneaky and then he would probably do it in public because what a child thinks he is getting away with is not what we think is! He will end up embarrassing himself on the first day of school when he is discovered. But if a child has good, constant, and gentle communication about things like this it will work more effectively than shame. Shame just leads to sneakiness. Apply it to any scenario. Ok... lecture cut short by a waking Niall.... later girls... love you all

Well I am taking a well earned break in the middle of a hectic day of what is turning out to be a extremley hectic week.

60 Mins I did not watch the show so I can't really comment on its contents, however know what journalism is like I can only imagine that it was very biased and one sided. What I can say however is that each parent has right to choose how they bring up there child and my problem is the need to label everything. I do not choose to subscribe to any one theory I do what is right for my child and myself, and my husband- yes Tori sleeps in her cot till about 3-4am most nights and then comes into bed with us, do I do it because I subscribe to a particular theory- no, I do it because at that time of the morning I am tired, she is tired and unsettled and the best thing for my family is that we get a decent amount of sleep. I am a breastfeedingt mum at the moment, but I am choosing to start weaning my baby shortly- for me waiting for infant led weaning is not possible because of work commitments- however I should not be made to feel guilty about my choice, it is much better that I go back to work and earn some money so we have a house to live in, than keep breast feeding untill Tori choose to wean and be living on the streets. I guess what I am saying is that every body makes a choice how to parent based on there own situation, I am not suggesting that everybody does what is right for my family, nor do I expect anyone else to be able to tell me what is right for mine. All that shows like 60 mins do is cause us to question or parenting, and start looking for a label for how we bring up our children- because we are made to feel the need to justify ourselves and our choices to everyone.

Anyway.......moving right along. I rang the school I was teaching at untill I went on maternity leave to find out about what is happening with jobs next year, only to be told that there is a possibility there will be no positions.......this would be fine if I hadnt been told 6 weeks ago not to start looking for anything else because there would be positions coming up. Now I have missed out on the opportunity to apply for quite a few suitable jobs, and I am having to rush around and organise job applications to send of for jobs that are closing soon. All this needs to be done before I go away friday morning, as if I didnt have enough to do already.

I best go and get on with it, otherwise I will still be washing and packing suitcases, cleanign the house, and addressing selection criteria at midnight on thursday night.

Hi everyone

Well, what a lovely Melbourne day!! I've done 3 loads of towels, and 4 loads of clothes... still got another load or two to go. At least they'll be dry!! That what i get for being sick... 10 lods of washing lol.

DH went to his first SES meeting last night, he's really looking forward to getting involved. He has done a lot of emergency management, first aid, firefighting and a range of other things while in the navy, and it would be good to put those things to use, while getting some new skills. And we'll get to meet some new people, we dont really have any friends to go to BBQ's and family days with in MElbourne.

Is it true that there's meant to be a late change today?? at least all my washing will be done and i can cleant he rest of the house tomorrow...

Girls just a reminder that there is a thread about the 60min segment in the TV News and ACA thread that we have here on BellyBelly. Your Baby Buddies forum isn't really the place to have debates happening, lets keep it about those precious babies of yours.

Thanks lovely ladies

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast