Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2007 #7

Oh Charly, if you want to hear honesty when it comes to "having had enough" from the little ones, i feel I must be the worst mummy out there at times... I know I am not, but, I guess its one of those topics that people dont talk about much - the frustration.

hello ladies,

frustration is a common theme that seems to be rearing its ugly head. i know how you feel. you think you just get into a nice routine then BANG they decide to change it for you. kids, communication please!! Nate is still not sleeping through the night, following advice from you beautiful women we tried a few different techinques but found that he just cried harder and in one case threw up. so we have made the decision to let him go for a while whilst still reducing formula at night to just water( but he knows the difference).

sometimes i just want to throttle him( but never would), changing nappies, changing clothes, throwing food, refusing to go to sleep all seem to bring out the worst in him. i think that teething has a lot to do with it but so does his growing up and becoming the man that he will oneday be. we shouldnt forget that they are humans just like us(most of the time) and learning their place in the big world.

but its all worth the pain when you get that smile of fun, regognition and love when you see them hiding around a corner and they come out and the first person they see is you.

love them no matter what they do, time out when you can. after all they should move out in 20years time and then you can get a full nights sleep.....

cheers dragonstorm

I just can't wait until they can talk so I can ask him why he is being such a little monster and what's so funny about raspberry blowing your breakfast over Mummy's clean work shirt

On a positive note, I bought some new jeans today and they are called, wait for it...tummy tuck jeans! They are from the U.S (where else) and have a section at the front that holds you in and something at the back that supposedly lifts your bum (J.Lo eat your heart out)!! Miracle! They're really stretchy too so are dead comfy. Trouble is now my baby belly is tucked away, I might be lulled nto a false sense of security and stop dieting!

Hi,

Just wondering, when you measure the bubs, is it to their heel or their toe? I measured Lewis to his heel and he was 70cm, which I was surprised at as he is nearly out of size 0 bodysuits. I weighed him too, he is 9.97kg.

Sarah, I always measure Aiden head to heal.
    Where did you get your jeans from? They sound great.

Debbie - I got them from my friend who works for a clothing importers. But if you look on Tummy Tuck Jeans Australia you will find the stockists. I don't think they are cheap, I paid $100 and that was cost price, but hey you can't put a price on miracles!

I'm having an early night tonight. With the clocks going back, I am DREADING what time Lewis will wake up

Hi all, sorry I haven't been around much, I've been really busy here (just like all of you!!!).

I've officially resigned from my old job as I just can't work 9 days a fortnight in a location 110km from home. They didn't have anything else part time or casual so resignation was the only solution. Doesn't worry me too much as we've had another iron in the fire so to speak - I'm joining my husbands physio practice as the new Clinical Pilates Physiotherapist!!! I saw my first client on Thursday and had another new one this morning, it was so odd to be going to work! But great to be using my brain in a different way too. We plan to both work part time and share child care responsibilities as best we can. I might also do some work in the public sector, but not sure about that as yet.

Angus is going well, he now has 4 teeth, and he's feeling some discomfort I think from the top ones which are still coming through. He bites the high chair, the coffee table, and when he's tired or hungry he face plants on the floor like he's trying to bite that (?sounds a bit like Nate, dragonstorm?). He's a very lovely child who is delightful most of the time, he sometimes only has one day sleep but then gets overtired at the end of the day and becomes a bit whiny. I count myself extremely fortunate to have such a relaxed boy who loves his routine. He still loves his boobie, hates cups and bottles with a passion. But he has experienced lots of new taste sensations for lunch and dinner recently and chowed them all down! Yay!!! He's a pretty firm and muscly little boy, the little girl across the road feels all puddingy soft when I pick her up in comparison!

And I'm hearing you all on the frustration bit, some days it drives me insane. At the moment Angus is a big wriggler when changing his nappy which isn't helpful. He doesn't just move a little, he puts his legs over his head, slaps his arms around frantically, and tries to roll over with great force repeatedly. It can take us more than 10 minutes to change a nappy that is merely wet with all this carry on. It makes me want to cry and sometimes I do yell at him to stay still, but I'm sure he doesn't quite get it yet.

Anyway, he's wonderful and I love him with all my heart, wouldn't trade him for the world.

Anyway, time for bed, another lovely hour of sleep hopefully awaits with the daylight saving deal. Take care of yourselves everyone and look after those lovely little ones.

Sorry for the selfish post, but it's so justified.

I'm a bad mother! On Friday, Caeleb and I were having a nap together in my bed, when there was a knock at the door (courier). He didn't wake, so I went and answered the door. I was only gone for about 30 seconds and just as I closed the door to walk back to my room... BANG! Caeleb hit the floor. Then he cried like I've never heard before. I thought he'd broken his neck, as our bed is quite high up off the floor. I picked up him and cuddled him and he stopped crying after about 5 minutes. He was so frightened. It was completely all my fault. How could I have been so stupid to think he wouldn't wake up?

My other issue is Caeleb isn't sleeping well at night and will wake up anything up to five times or more in a single night. DH wants to do control crying with him, but I just can't do it. We watched this terrible video from the library called "It's Time To Sleep", it should have been called... "It's Time To Scream". The poor little things were screaming for over half an hour! Anyway... I don't believe in it. I've never let Caeleb cry and I think if I started now, my happy go lucky little boy would have his spirit broken. Why won't mummy comfort me?

And finally...

Caeleb hasn't been feeding off me much at all during the day and when he does, it's not for very long before he's distracted and wriggles off my lap. My supply has dropped dramatically. We've been giving him a few top up bottles of formula (which he sculls in 10 seconds flat!), because when he does want to feed, I just don't have enough and I'm worried that he's not getting enough nutrition from his solids (he's been fussy of late and not eating well). So, I don't know if he's trying to ween off me or not. I had planned to let him feed till he was 2. I'm now thinking that it might be better to wean him, as he does wake for feeds a lot in the night and perhaps it's just for comfort?

I just don't know... any suggestions to both problems would be fantastic.
    Last edited by Celsie; April 5th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Celsie - firstly, you are not a bad mother - Aiden has fallen off our bed about 3 or 4 times now, and, i think he has learned to stay still on the bed.. Its more the fright then anything else. I understand how you feel thou, its heartbreaking to feel that you caused it.

Sleeping - we had the same thing. I was getting up every 45min, and i had had enough. I borrowed "the baby whisperer" and it really helped me. The first thing i started was I stopped feeding Aiden to sleep for his naps and nighttime feeds. And then, in order to get him to sleep, i had to let him cry, however, not controlled crying, where you walk out and leave them, but, more comforted crying. I stayed with Aiden while he cryed, held him, talk to him, comforted him, until he learnt to settle himself back down and go to sleep. I did this for his day sleeps, and then, when it was easier for him to resettle, started on his night sleeps, so that he didnt wake DH. There is no way can i let him cry, i just dont want him to feel abandoned. I am sure you can tell the difference in his cries, and, i will let him grizzle, but, as soon as he gets crying, then, i am straight in there. The other thing is, once you have him settleing better, is, count to 100 or something before you go in to his room. Give him that chance to settle himself before you go. I find sometimes me being there is more of a distraction to him as well.
    But, thats me. Have a look at the website thebabywhisperer
    I have Aiden now in a rough routine of getting up at 8am, back to bed at 10, sometimes 9.45, and generally, i am waking him up at 12, 12.30 at the latest, then, back again anywhere between 2.30 and 4 for a nap, which is about 30min and into bed at 7.30. He is still waking once overnight, at the moment it is about 12.45, and it takes me about 45min to get him back to sleep, but, again, i think i am over anxious and i disturb him more, and i need to have abit of faith in him.
    Mind you, a week ago, i was all over the place, and it turned out he is teething, so, i was all upset as he wasnt sleeping, but, he settled back down again.

Hugs for the selfweaning. Have you thought of expressing to keep your supply up? That way, you can give him bottles of ebm, instead of formula? Perhaps try more frequent feeds? He is probably waking for comfort in the night, so, teaching him to resettle without a feed will help, and also, make him hungrier during the day, so he does feed better. We went thru a long stage of Aiden not feeding during the day between 3am till about 1pm as he was feeding so much over night. I ended up watering down his formula overnight so that he would be more hungry during the day. Try posting in the b/f section for some advise. But, if you are set on feeding till 2, then, keep at it for abit longer. Try expressing to increase supply, express and offer breast more often, like every 2 hours if you can until your supply is back up. I remember when i was going thru the similar thing, I read that to increase supplies, you had to express/offer 10times a day.

I hope that helps. If he does self wean, then, you have given him 9months of goodness, and you should be proud of yourself. Not many people make it that far.

Fi - am glad the new job is working out well for you. It must be making your life alot easier not having to do all that travel.
    One of the babies at playgroup does that biting the floor thing as well. Except, not when tired, apparently, all the time!

Aiden is a right terror to put nappy & clothes on after a bath. Just keeps rolling over and crawling away (I dress him on our bed). On his change table, he is not so bad, i give him a bottle of water, and plays with that. But, i think he is so hyped up after his bath, he just cant sit still. Soo irriating. But cute. His little butt wiggling in the air, and me frantically trying to put a nappy on in case he does a wee

Ha ha, Lewis hates havng his nappy changed now too. Sometimes the nappy is so baggy because it's such a struggle to put it on properly with his wriggling!

Celsie - I dread Lewis falling off the bed but things like that are bound to happen sometimes. It's just a learning curve. At least he is okay, like Debbie said it must be a big shock for them.

With regards to him waking in the night, maybe he's teething aswell, especially if he is fussy wth his food? Lewis will wake a few times in ther night when he is teething. He will usually go straight back to sleep though once his dummy is back in. Anyway Debbie seems to have sussed the whole thing out with The Baby Whisperer book, maybe you should try and find it. It must be really hard for you.

Hey Celsie, I've got no good advice but I'm hearing the sadness, frustration and confusion in your voice, and wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Debbie's a wise woman, she's given some good advice - I particularly liked the 'comforted crying' part, maybe something like that would suit you and Caeleb best.

We don't do controlled crying and never have, but Angus has this routine of kind of grizzling (we call it sleep screams) to get himself to sleep. Early on of course I'd go in and pick him up straight away, but then one day I had to go to the loo first and by the time I came out he'd gone to sleep. Since then I've learned the sound of the 'i am trying to go to sleep' noises and if he's going off to sleep slowly, I leave him to it. If the noises change to crying, we go in, pick him up or give him a pat and tell him we love him and it is time to sleep, and go out again. If there is no way he's ready for sleep, we get him up again. I know what you mean about not being able to listen to him cry, I hate it when Angus cries and I have to respond. For us, learning that those tired noises were ok and we should leave him be was a huge turning point in learning to self settle.

Feeding wise, I've no idea. Are the day feeds somewhere quiet and distraction free? I just feed Angus as he demands really but I am very fortunate that his last feed is at 10.30 then not until he wakes in the morning. I know he wakes overnight (as we all do) but he's mostly asleep and just makes those soft little baby murmurs for about 10sec, then quiet again. So I don't get up overnight. He's in a separate room to us which helps filter out little noises but lets the important ones (like 'come and get me mummy') through just fine.

I hope you're ok, don't worry about it you are doing a great job, and Caeleb is a beautiful little boy who loves his mummy dearly.

Hi everyone. Hope you're all well.

Thanks Sarah - Mikayla and I are both over the flu. I was pretty sick over easter but thankfully Mikayla only got a runny nose. Apart from that she's doing really well. She's constantly chatting away and on the verge of walking. My baby is growing up way too fast!!!

I got some very bad news today so am feeling a bit lost. My cousin was just diagnosed with cancer and only given a matter of months to live. We were very close growing up but have been estranged - so to speak - for the last 3 or so years. We've recently started to speak again but its never been the same. I feel so helpless. Her father passed away suddenly with cancer only 9 months ago (3 days after Mikayla was born) he died only 2 weeks after finding out he had it. Now this!! She doesnt deserve this. Nobody does!! It really brings everything into perspective. One minute your living life just like everybody else and the next it all comes crashing down

Sorry for such a terrible post but its easier for me to talk to you all about it than anyone else. I might not be around much for a while but will try to check in when I can.

Sorry for the lack of personals too but I'm just not in the mindset to read back on all the posts.

Love to you all & sending big hugs to all the bubs xx
    Last edited by teepee2; April 7th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teepee2 View Post

I got some very bad news today so am feeling a bit lost. My cousin was just diagnosed with cancer and only given a matter of months to live. We were very close growing up but have been estranged - so to speak - for the last 3 or so years. We've recently started to speak again but its never been the same. I feel so helpless. Her father passed away suddenly with cancer only 9 months ago (3 days after Mikayla was born) he died only 2 weeks after finding out he had it. Now this!! She doesnt deserve this. Nobody does!! It really brings everything into perspective. One minute your living life just like everybody else and the next it all comes crashing down
    Tina, so sorry to hear of your cousin. My prayers and thoughts are with you, and your family. May you all somehow find the strength & courage to keep smiling during this difficult time.

Take all the time that you need, and we are always here for you.

Ok i know you ladies probably dont want to hear this but Ashlyn is finally sleeping through!!!! OMG its a miracle, she will go down around 7ish and still wakes every now and then but i just pop her dummy back in and settle her and off she goes back to sleep!! and doesnt wake till around 7am! YAY so excited!

Celsie...Dont feel bad...the little worms will fall off anything, ashlyn rolled off the lounge while i was changing her and got distracted by rylan, by the time i looked back she was hanging by her arms and then bang of she fell and she was alot littler..i think it is mainly shock, as they dont try to brace themself for a fall they are still limp,(i guess is the word) and they dont get hurt.
    Im sorry i cant help with BF as i only managed 2 weeks of it, so good luck with whatever happens remember you have done a great job managing 9months

Teepee2...I am so sorry to hear about your cousin and her father, i know how quickly it can happen and how terrible it is. My mumma had lukemeia and was in remission but found out just before xmas 06 that it was back and sadly we lost her in May 07, 6 weeks before ashlyn was born..it is the worst news to try and come to terms with and i couldnt understand how you hear all these wonderful stories of people living for years and years but mums doctors basically told her sorry there is nothing we can do you have to go home and die!! I still cant understand how they just gave up and didnt try anymore.
    My heart goes out to you and your family, there is nothing anyone can say to make you feel better, try to talk about it and dont be afraid to cry, as i found ignoring the feeling just made it even more overwhelming!!

Tina - I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. How about pulling out some old photos and put it in an album for the both of you to look over one afternoon over a coffee? Have a chat and remember times when things were happier for the both of you.

Huge hugs.

Hi all!!
    my son logan was born 3rd june.
    dont know if this is normal but he wakes up a fair few times a night and sometimes i have to go into his room and put his dummy in and lay him down a few times before he will actually go to sleep....?

Tina - my thoughts are with you and your cousin this must be a hard time, my best friends father passed away from cancer only about 2 months ago. My father is not around and has never seen my son but her father loved logan everytime i would go there he wouldnt be interested in talking to me he would just steal logan off me!!! and while i was pregnant he used to make jokes about my belly.

Hi everyone

Tina - so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Laura - welcome. Yes, I think it is normal for bub to wake up in the night. Diana usually wakes up 1-2 times a night. Occasionally she sleeps through, but more often than not, she wakes up. We co-sleep, so I either give her a feed or hold her and she goes back to sleep within minutes.

Well, Diana is officially saying dad, dadda, and daddy. She also says babby, and baby. No sign of mummy yet though...

Hi to everyone else. I've been reading the posts, but haven't had time to write anything. Hope all the bubs are doing well.

Hi Girls,

Teepee - So sorry to hear the news about your cousin. There's not much I can say to make you feel better. However I hope the next few months are special ones for you all.

Laura - Yes Lewis wakes in the night sometimes and when I put his dummy in he goes straight back off again. Apparently when they can find their own dummy it stops.

Starfish - Lewis shows no sign of saying Mum yet either. He says da da da da all day long, not that he says it to DH though. He also says tha tha tha tha all day and blows raspberrys.

He has also started standing and clapping this week. How long after they learn to stand do they start walking do you think??

One thing he does which makes me really sad - if he hurts himself and starts crying, when I pick him up he pushes me away with his hands on my chest, like he doesn't want to be cuddled. Does anyone elses bub's do that? Not sure if he's just not that into cuddles or if he thinks it is me that made him hurt??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast