Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 1st - 15th 2008

shell - im still craving choc milkshakes since being pg. maybe i need to up my dairy intake.

danni - hope you get the promotion when you go back to work, and that matt is doing better.

Afternoon girls,

Was having such a great night with DJ especially since Doni was away. He slept from 7:30-10:00pm, then 11:00pm-3:30am and was cheering and hoping for another 4 hour sleep but no, after putting him down at 4am, he then woke up again at 5:30am haha he has been pretty good today though, some mini sleeps (thankfully). Had mothers group this morning which was great, and heard from Tresilian and got some great handouts on settling and baby routines etc I have to leave here at 2pm to head to paed apt and hoping to get some answers about DJ's wind. At 10 weeks old, he still gets bad wind, farting like crazy and always unsettled from it as well as a tensed up tummy.... anyway shall see what paed says.

I have started putting one of his blankie toys down my top during the day so that when I put him down to sleep he can still smell me and he manages a good sleep from it, so keeping it up Found another good position that puts him to sleep as well, so finally working him out more and what he likes etc. Only took 10 weeks haha

Prama - yeah the class yesterday was a killer but I still managed a walk to and from mothers group today and felt great for it, mind you my legs will be killing me tomorrow haha but yeah coffee next week for sure!!!! Sounds like your mothers group is going really well, and will be good to continue meeting up with them. I have started to form a bond with some of the mums as well, which is great. How horrible for that mums little 5 year old..... We used to move around alot when I was younger and it was hard moving to different schools all of the time. I want to try and stay in this location for a while so DJ doesnt' have to move much.

Danni - yeah chocolate - just saying the word makes me hungry haha have fun on Sunday, sounds fabbo!!!! I would prefer to have a naming ceremony for DJ but because of Doni's family we need to get him christened doh!!! anyway something for us to think about but told Doni will wait until I am back at work.

Ok girls, going to get myself organised to head to paed apt.

Hope you are all having a super day!!!

Shellxxxx

Last week I weighed DJ with clothes on and he was 5.5kg and today he weighed 5.1kg (no clothes) at the paed apt. arghhhh he said to minus 200g approx for clothes, so really he has lost 200g, which isn't too bad. He has grown another 2cm in length in just one week so he is growing alot more in lengthways instead of weight..... anyway I told him about my breastfeeding and how he goes on and off several times etc and he said I should start giving him top up in formula after every feed, not just in the mornings and to make sure I get him to drink as much as possible from the top up. he said that will make him more settled. The wind isn't making him unsettled apparently, he thinks it is because he is getting enough food, which i agree since he is always unsettled after a breastfeed. I have another apt with community nurse next week so will do another weight check and hopefully the introduction of top-up feeds will increase his weight back up again.

I was a little unhappy after the apt because I thought for sure he would be weighing more since last week, not a weight drop. He is definitely more settled after a top-up feed of formula, and I haven't had to use the dummy as much since I have done it. So that is a plus in itself.

Prama - how much ml do you give poopy as a top-up? I have been giving DJ as much boob as he needs which is roughly 15-20 mins then 90ml top-up in formula which he sometimes guzzles the whole lot or half of it.

Well girls, better get dinner started.

Chat soon
    Shell xxxx

Hi,

Shell sorry to hear that you are still having sleep troubles, maybe the top ups will help DJ sleep longer...

Went to CMHN appoint yesterday, Molly Jane now weighs 5540g and is 59cm long, i thought for sure she would have been 60cm this time, she has dipped a little on the growth curve, but no concerns as she is between 50th and 75th %ile... also was told she is due a growth spurth at 12-13 weeks, so next appoint (3rd july) she may be bigger...

I am posting this at the risk of sounding like one of those mothers that always think that their babies are 'advanced' .... anyway, CMHN held molly while i got stuff out of my bag and she said, how long has she been standing like this for (she will take her weight for minutes at a time) i replied ohhh about a month maybe - anyway, she said, well that is a 4 month milestine and loads of babies dont do it until 5 months... Anyway i thought that this was pretty cool

i have a question.... when your baby closes its fist, are the thumbs on the inside or the outside? Molly are always inside, i have noticed that most babies are out, asked CMHN about this and she said it usualy resolves by 2 months, but can still be there at 7 month in a few cases.

Anyway thats all from me, i hate wednesdays, its my day at the factory - have been playing with Molly loads since getting home though, she doesnt seem to mind being there thou

a quickly
    shell - i give him about 60ml top up thats what he seems to take. ive tried topping up to 90 but he doesnt finish it. and he doesnt always finish the 60. it was trial and error. mind you for his weight he should be taking about 120-150ml. im going to weigh him tomorrow.
    i think dont worry too much about the paed's scales cos all scales are different. you'll know better at the ECC.
    yeah i hope he sleeps longer with the top up.
    is he still doing all the right things with wet nappies and poo?
    also the fact that he has grown 2cm might say something too, he might have used his energy to grow and not put on as much weight. but that wouldnt explain the weight loss. all the best checking tomorrow.
    im getting poopy weighed too tom. im so worried.. the last time he only gained 150gm, i hope he's gained 250.

sj - poopy still has his thumb inside. i havent heard of thumb inside outside before.
    poopy stands too, you mean when you put molly on your lap dont you? and he's been doing that for a while. sometimes he does it, sometimes he doesnt. but if he stands only for a few seconds, sometimes a bit longer.
    no worries about sounding like an 'advanced' mum.. i think we all are a little. hehe
    molly probably has a lot of things to see and hear at the factory!

poopy is a grizzle bum again
    bbl

oh, trina hope you're having a fantastic time!
    Last edited by prama; May 21st, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

DJ falling asleep on my lap so a little hard to type kehehee soooo cute though, over the last few days he really has become a bit of a mummy's boy kehehee

Prama - thanks for the tip and yeah that is what I was thinking, using all of his energy to grow lengthways instead of in weight. But I think the top ups will help him. He only drinks no more than 60ml out of a 90ml bottle, sometimes he only takes 40ml. But he is much more settled YAY Good luck for weigh-in tomorrow I am sure Poopy will make his mummy proud oh and DJ has a wet nappy on every change as well as at least 1 poo nappy every 1-2 days.

SJ - thumbs are always on the outside, and what a bonus on a milestone for Molly Jane, I can just imagine you would have had the biggest smile on your face Great weight gain as well, it seems DJ is just growing in length I think he might be a tall stringbean like my brother.

Doni will be home shortly which will be nice, get him to give DJ a bath and massage. Hopefully he will get a good night sleep tonight kehehee

Shell xxx

do you give him a bath everyday? i do it alternate days.
    those still bf-ing, do you still express in between feeds. im not expressing anymore. im bf-ing all feeds and top up and then im tired and spend the rest of time with play and all the normal stuff.

How funny that your talking about them taking their own weight when standing because I was going to post that Maddie is doing that too!

She holds her head so strong, its amazing that shes moved onto that next step. She's also filled out a bit more and no longer has that newborn look about her

She also sits better when we prop her up against some cushions, she doesn't flop around.

Still bf exclusively so pretty happy about that. I got mad at my Aunt on Mothers Day. We had a family get together and my cousin had just had a little boy about two weeks before. She had twins 17 years ago so it was a big break and she never bf them cos they were premmie, yada yada, anyway she was trying with little Tyson and my Aunt had pushed her into giving formula because she said he was unsettled because "she had plenty of milk but the quality wasn't very good" What the!!!???

I didn't say anything because they think I'm stuck up anyway and didn't want to come across as the bf expert or smug or anything. My Mum told me that was exactly what she and my Grandma used to tell her when she was bf me and so only did for 3 months because she was starving me! My Mum was only 17 at the time but its funny how nothing has changed. I'm glad my Mum has encouraged me and reading forums like belly belly is a great support too.

Grrr, we've all had colds this week again! I've never had soooo many as since I've had kids lol

Anyway talk soon

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Quote Originally Posted by prama View Post
    shell - im still craving choc milkshakes since being pg. maybe i need to up my dairy intake.

danni - hope you get the promotion when you go back to work, and that matt is doing better.

I quit my job a couple of weeks after Jazz was born so no promotion. (Besides it was only a couple of dollars more and a beep load more work!
    I'm going to start Avon at the end of this week and when Matt is more confident to take care of Jazz for more than half an hour on his own then I will look at doing some kind of party plan thing. I'm thinking about applying for a job in a photography studio. Although I haven't had formal training I am a member of several photography groups on the internet and I get great feedback about my work from professional photographers.

Jazz was babysat today and I got heaps of housework done.

I will go to bed now. I had to express some milk. I had a big hard lump on my left boob and it was really sore but I've gotten almost 50ml out of it even though jazz just fed an hour ago. I don't think she was actually getting anything from the left. For some reason, she always at the end of the night will feed on the right boob, then left, then right again always falls asleep for the night on the right boob!

Great to hear from you jess! I remember feeling the pressure when I bf my first and lots of people told me I should top up feed etc but I was too stubborn (and a bit lazy) and DD was putting on heaps of weight but didn't do the 4 hourly feed. Now I just pop out the girls anytime even if he only fed 30 mins before and when people make comments I just smile and say yep feeding again.

As most of you know I'm addicted to MCN but because it's been a bit wet in Perth I had to use disposables on Saturday. Well Paddy had a terrible skin reation. He had red raised makes where the nappy wrapped round his legs and touched histummy. The next day I put some cream on it and the redness went away but the skin was all flakey and dry. Definately won't be using sposies anymore.

I bath Paddy everyday unless we're out late. He loves the tub and it has become part of our night time wind down routine. Going to try QV oil in the tub instead of J&J top to toe to see if that helps his skin.

SJ I must say my boy's is advanced as well . He likes to weight bear on his legs and has very good neck control. Of course all my children are brillant because they take after their mother

teach - i knew posting that would get a reaction !!!!

Bugger about the sposies, the weather has been sh*t here although i have managed to keep her in MCN - i think that may be due to my addiction to fluffy mail (i have to stop.. after the next 2 parcels arrive ) seriously i think i have enough for 2 in nappies!!!!

jess, great to hear from you...we have the snuffles and sneezes here too. I also can feed 30 mins after a full feed with Molly - the girls at mothers group think that i am crazy (they are all topping up with formula or formular feeding when out - i am the only one excusivly feeding) and are encouraging me to bottle feed her for my convenience grrrrhh ( i think maybe it is to subconsciously make them selves feel better - dunno)

Prama - i have started to express a little off just before bed as MJ is sometimes sleeping from 8.30pm right through to 6am and my god is it painful when i wake (usually before she does and i lie there waiting for her to wake up) so last night took about 100mls off at 1030pm and of course she woke at 3am for a feed (i think cos it was cold and she has a cold) but may keep doing that as i dont want the night time milk to drop off...

Danni - hope all goes well on the job front, DH and i are in discussions about what we should do next year, i am not sure if i will go bac to the hospital, rather work for him the days that i was going to do at the hossy, as ultimately if we grow the business now, hopefully we can be better off earlier (and that means more babies for me - would love a really big family )

Anyway gotta go, banana bread is ready to take out of the oven... oh yeah i posted a few new pics in my gallery if anyone is interested

have a good one

SJ do you use a sleeping bag. I got Paddy a couple of ebay with sleeves and made of polar fleece. They keep him toasty warm and I'm sure that helps him sleep better at night.

argh so so tired today, DJ just gone to sleep but I have to wash his clothes so might do that and head back to bed for a rest.

Prama - I am starting to bath DJ (either myself or Doni) everyday now just to get him used to a routine. Doni took him into the bath this time with water filled right up and Doni just had him floating in the bath, and he absolutely loved it. On the expressing, I have to, because he is so fussy on the boob, the paed said to just give him formula if he gets too fussy on the boob which means my boobs are still full arghhhh so no rest for me

Jess - that is great Maddy is doing so well

Teach - sorry to hear Paddy had a bad skin reaction to the disposables. I haven't used disposables since DJ was 1.5 weeks old.

Danni - you probably just have more in the right boob I know I do. My right side is always more full compared to the left. Mind you my left is more creamier so go figure haha

Chat again soon

Shellxxx

Quote Originally Posted by shell_120308 View Post
    Danni - you probably just have more in the right boob I know I do. My right side is always more full compared to the left. Mind you my left is more creamier so go figure haha
    my lefty is always fuller and i sometimes look lopsided!!!

Hi Grls - how is everyone going?

For some reason my i ave been feeding less but ive had a rough two days...the other day i fed him from 2.30am till 5am break than again from 6-7.45am.... i couldnt deal with it so i went to my mother in law and she placed him off to bed...mind u i should if slept as well but for some reason i didnt.... than to top it all off my mother is fully stressing me out with BF...she keeps going on about me not eating and to keep eating and than get this (i cant believe she said it) she said why dont i give Joshua to my sisterinlaw for her to BF him/....... WTF..... i was distraught.... i have milk i just dont understand why he isnt putting on weight.... oh and sometimes he feeds do go for an hour from both boobs.... other times yes its a very long time....

To answer your Q Prama yeah i did go to mothergroup and it was really good but a bit depressing cause i saw other cute little bubs his age who were fatter.... he just looks so scrawnny and long . Im going on Monday so i'll get himweight again and see what my options are... i was topping him up with formula after BF but for some reason it later didnt sit with him well????? Ive also started giving him infacol as he has sooooo much wind and i cant see he is in pain... poor bubba.

Tina - have a great trip...

Shell- good to see little one is doing well...... i think its this continuous weather change beautiful one day cloudy and windy the next...i was also told by someone to put Vicks on their feet and the heat will actually work its way up adn its better for them.... havent tried it but who knows. im also tempted to top joshua up again cause he is loosing weight but to date the comm. nurse and pead. havent told me to.. just like u he is long... im soooooo confused and stressed out.

Any suggestions girl - Joshua is just not sleeping he will fallalseep in my arms for 15mintures than wake up screaming i cant do anything to soothe him......

Hi Ania, one of the girls at my MG was topping up her bubs with formula, well the farts were awful and poo was soo... health nurse told her to try a new forula (she switched to s27 or something like that - sorry i dont do formula so not sure) and bubs was a new man... she siad if you are switching you hae to d it for a few days to see any difference.
    Dont know if this helps you at all, im not in the same position as you but trying to be helpful

Try not to stress over your bubbas weight, tell your mum to go jump too, im sure she is trying to be 'helpful' but you dont need anything said like that to you at the moment. you are doing a great job, Joshua is getting longer right, well maybe he is not going to be a chubby baby... a long bean pole may be him... we all dont look the same,nor do we eat the same amount - as long as the comm nurse and pead are happy DONT WORRY

As for the crying not sure, is it a new cry? is he wet? i have noticed that MJ now hates to be wet (were as it never use to bother her) and she will get very upset about it.
    Maybe he is crying from wind pain??? again maybe the formula
    you sound like you need one

So tired, DJ so grizzly today. I have booked him in to see an osteopath, was talking to a friend of what I go through with feeding problems, unsettling, wind and disturbed sleep and she suggested I take him to my osteopath because it could be a result of the trauma he suffered at birth. He still has the dent in his head from where he was trying to get through the birth canal in posterior position. Anyway worth a try and my apt is on Monday so hopefully this will work. I would like to enjoy breastfeeding, he just always comes on and off all of the time - gets sooooo frustrating. I am almost at the stage of considering giving up breastfeeding because it is so challenging for me.

Ania - yeah he still has a snuffly nose and I keep using Little Fess which helps and use the vicks baby balsam on his singlet. I have no choice but to top up in formula, he doesn't sit on my breast long enough to get enough from me and I know that, so he is much more settled if I give him the top-up even if it is only 40ml he guzzles down. I so know how you feel on the weight thing.....

Well girls, back to my time-out while DJ is sleeping. Think my hubby has pulled up in driveway, going to get him to cook dinner to give me a break.

Shell xxxx

hi girls!

yesterday we put poopy in his bed about 9.30 but he slept at about 10 and woke up at 7! my boobs got so full, and they started to really hurt. i woke up at 4am and had to express a little. a real shame! it's good when they sleep long hours but not good for our boobies.

shell - thanks for your wonderful supportive message
    i got him weighed today and he put on 400g in 2 weeks and grew 2cm. must be a 3mth growth spurt. he's in the 5th percentile, moved from 3rd, he's still tiny but i have to remember he was 2 weeks early. im still glad cos he only put on 150g over 2 weeks over last weigh in. Although it's only the 5th percentile in height and weight, im really happy. I'm going to continue with the formula top up.
    shell - sorry about having to top up and express. i was expressing, bf-ing and then topping up in the early days and i was getting so little sleep. it's really hard work. i hope it's only for a short while.

sj - oohh.. my heart just melted looking at mj, she's such a beautiful angel!!
    i wish ppl wouldnt tell other mothers to do this and that just because they are! if you are happy bf exclusively then why try to change that. i bf and top up and sometimes just formula when out, but i wouldnt expect other mothers to do that. when i bf, poopy's still hungry so thats why i top up. but that's what;s working for me and him, doesnt mean it will work for others. yeah, i think sometimes a bit of bf envy can creep in. they should be happy for you instead of trying to change you.

jess - good on you for sticking to your guns! it annoys me when ppl try to tell you this and that. my SIL, i love her and she's fantastic but i got annoyed at our mother's day picnic. poopy had a hoodie on and Steve said he looks like a thug, and she said you shouldnt call him that, and steve said that i call him poopy, haha. and she said im sure prama wont call him poopy when he's 30. and i said i might still call him that. and she got offended and went im just saying what i think etc but doesnt matter. then when we left steve told poopy, come on buggalugs' and she said not to call him that. i mean, he's just an itty bitty baby, and we're his parents! it's our affectionate terms for him and it kinda ruined my special poopy name for me at that time but now i dont care. ppl say things and sometimes it takes the special things away. grrrr

ania - sorry to hear you're having a hard time.
    i know what you mean about looking at other chubby babies at MG. i feel the same too, but the mums there are great and not judgemental (yet). are you going too see someone re your feeding? my heart goes out to you, i know how you feel

will write more.. poopy's waking up
    wanted to use this for the longest time!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast