Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 2006

Lea, can I just ask have you thought it could be something you are eating that is passing through your milk? There are a lot of foods that can pass through the BM and upset the babies tummy. Many spicy foods can be the culprit, as can acidic foods like orange juice and tomatoes. Even cabbage and chocolate have been known to cause problems.

The only thing I can think of Sherie is milk or chocolate. But even when I stopped them for 24 hours it only improved slightly.

Had a bit of a rough night. Went to bed early as I was by myself and then I was woken up at 1.30. Got about 1/2 hours sleep before being woken up again @ 3.30 and then fell asleep with him on my chest because he wouldn't settle. Then he was awake again just after 5... normally he's asleep again by now but the little buggar is WIDE awake!!! Oh and I also just had a charming projectile vomit as well.

I don't feel tired yet but this afternoon is going to be interesting! I will just have to nap when ever he decides to sleep for longer then an hour or so! (Where did my good baby go??) He is whinging again now so I better go!

BBL

Hello fellow May buddies. Finally I have the time and energy to post here. I have read all posts, but just found it too hard to reply.

I can't believe we are here now. I havent heard anything from Kellee's DH but she hasn't been online either. Hope she isn't having a repeat of my 38 hour labour

Well Cooper is doing well. He is usually really good as far as sleeping and eating etc, but we had a long night with him last night, very unsettled. He is tired but is fighting it. I dont know how I am going to cope at nights when Tony goes back to work, as we have been taking it in shifts. Cooper isn't breastfeeding, so I have to express every 3-4 hours. I have been to a lactation support centre but didn't get much out of it. A lactation consultant is being organised to come to my home to help, hopefully we get him BF soon. We are both just so tired, but thats life with a newborn.

Sorry for lack of personals, but I need sleep. BBL

Glad to hear that Cooper is doing well. The picture is gorgeous!

Alot of us seem to be struggling with BF in one way or another. I hope the lactation consultant can help.

I finally got my little man to sleep. So I'm putting him to bed and I'm going to try and sleep myself even though all I really want to do is have a shower. I'll try to sleep for 1/2 an hour and if its not working then I'll get up.

I have a new saying:

"Sleep is for the weak" LMAO

hi girls i was talking to kellee earlier here i copied and pasted this one handed typing is killing my wrists lol "but I just wanted to let you know that I'm still here. Could you please let the BB gals know? I'll try and log in tonight from a different computer - hopefully that will work."

Kellee Guest

Hi all. I think Iíll just post in here from now on Ė donít seem to have much time to check this AND the Due in May thread because my computer is being DUMB DUMB DUMB and not letting me stay online for long. Bloody ISP is annoying me! No, still here, Iím afraid. I went for a big walk last night (it was FREEZING!) but to no avail. Iím still planning social events for the next few days because I really think theyíre going to have to induce me.  So Iím going to an engagement party tonight and Iím going to invite some friends over for dinner this week. Getting annoyed now! Has anyone heard from Sara or Rachy?

Vic Ė I canít imagine buying for six! My god, your trolley must be overflowing every time. Have you thought about a nappy delivery service? Then that would be one less thing youíd have to buy. Iím going to get my fruit and veg delivered (used to, but the lady had to stop working) so that itís one less thing to worry about. I love your pics too! So cute! What a sweet little family you have. Hope you get some more sleep soon, and that DH can help give you a bit of a break this weekend.

Kim Ė ouchies on the sucking blisters! Wow, I hope they go away soon. Hope youíre doing ok without Cam Ė I used to count down the hours until Tom came home too! Iím glad Darcy seems to be settling ok. Keep pushing through dude. Youíre doing rad. Good on you for walking already too! I hope I can take a leaf out of your book and start back soon. I miss the exercise.

Sarajo Ė thanks for the LV!

Lea Ė no, sorry, still here! And donít worry about when youíre actually getting your sleep at this stage Ė sounds like youíre getting just enough and thatís certainly something to be happy about. I hope youíve figured out what the problem is with feedingÖ I had a lactose intolerance to my mumís bm, so maybe thatís what Em has? Hope it sorts itself out soon. What a lovely brother you have too! Wish my brother would do that for me!

Alison Ė Glad that Cooper is doing well. Heís such a cutie pie! Hope the b/f thing sorts itself out soon. If one lactation consultant isnít helpful, try another. Some are better than others. I hope you get something out of the visit today. It does get better, I promise!

Shazz Ė thanks for letting the girls know. I figured theyíd all be wondering what was going on because I hadnít been on for a while. Hope Ryan is doing well, and that your older boy is feeling better.

Anyway, lots of washing to do and more domestic things that need to get done. Our car is FILTHY so weíre going to wash that and put the baby seat in (yes, I know, I should have done it by now). Hopefully I donít write for a few days because Iím in labour, but I doubt it. I have a ob appt on Tuesday, so if things havenít happened by then I imagine theyíll schedule an induction for Thursday or Friday. Iím going to try and hold on as long as I can though Ė I would much rather wait and go naturally than be induced if possible. Hope youíre all well Ė big kisses to all your bubs.

Dear Kellee's bub, it is time to come out and meet the world! I know it is nice and comfy and familiar in there, but it is so much more interesting on the outside! I hope it happens for you soon girl! I had to be induced after being almost 1 week late, and that almost didnt work...my Abby was way too comfy in there! lol!

To the rest of you with your new little bundles of joy...sleep will come, all the restless nights and days in only temporary! Hang in there! Congratulations to you all!!!

Thanks for keeping us updated Shazz!

Never ~ You poor thing. I hope you get some sleep soon. Em is the same with feeding heaps as well. Its driving me nuts! He's still unsettled and if it keeps going on I'm going to try him on a lactose free formula for the night feed or something - just to see if it helps. I've also cut out a few things from my diet - mainly dairy and chocolate!! (damn damn damn) so we will see how we go. I might go and get Emerson weighed today and see how he is going.

Kellee ~ My brother is strange lol... he hasn't worked since leaving school in September last year and normally never does anything to help anyone but himself. So the fact that he even offered let alone followed through is strange. But my vacuuming is done so I'm not complaining. The end is coming near - soon you'll have your bubba in your arms. Any ideas for names yet? Apparently car washing is good to bring on labour because of the up and down movement! So wash, wash , wash!

Well I'm going to do some shopping (if I ever get dressed lol) and then visit my mum. Tonight if Emerson permits I'm going to have a bit of a girly night and colour my hair and do some grooming lol.

What is the best age to try and start to work them into a routine or pattern. I'm not too fussed with Emerson but he won't sleep or settle sometimes unless he's being held and I kind of want to break that... any suggestions/ideas? I'm thinking of moving him into the nursery so I'm not picking him up straight away - it seems so cruel to let him cry but maybe I should let him cry a bit before going in....???

Thanks ladies!

Just butting my head in here.

Lea - It sounds like you really don't want to leave him to cry, so therefore don't. If it distress's you then he will also pick up on that vibe and may get more upset. You do what your heart tells you.

There is a pile of articles on the main site that you and other girls in here may want to read, and you are more than welcome to ask advice in the gentle parenting section as well.

Here are the articles
    Babies & Sleep
    Baby Wearing - The Benefits
    Controlled Crying, Controlled Comforting or Sleep Training
    Cuddle Me Mum
    The Crying Game

Love

Just wondering if I can pop in here?
    Patrick was born on the 24th May 2006 weighing 2430g. (Stupid me, most of you know that!)
    He is still in SCN atm, because he was born at 35w and 5 days.
    He has put on 95g since birth, but lost 210g all up. he is slowly putting on the weight but getting there.

Jess, I have added your details for you. I really hope you get to bring little Patrick home soon. I must be terribly frustrating to have him in hospital still. I'm sure once he gets home he will thrive and before you know it he will be a big strapping boy.

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

Forum Name: Baby_Crazy05
    State: NSW
    Baby's DOB: 4th May 2006
    Baby's Stats: Weight - 3202grams Length - 53 cm Head Circ - 34 cm
    Gender of Baby: Female
    Baby's Name: Jovi Lee
    Baby's Website: none ... yet
    Health Concerns: Loss of weight when she was born but has certainly picked up now

Managed to catch up with most people's posts, but still have a few to read ... Jovi is pretty restless at the moment so don't have much time to do anything really.

She's been pretty good ... had some weight issues in the beginning due mainly to being jaundice (and according to the family GP, there's no way the hospital should have let us go home, we should have been in for at least a week ... she was born on a thursday and we went home on the sunday). She's put the weight back on now ... having her weighed again when I go back for my 6 week checkup on the 14th ... the community nurse visited a couple of times, but I don't trust her scales. She reckoned that they had just been calibrated not long ago ... but according to her Jovi had only put on 83 grams in 2 weeks! and she weighed less than what my dr had weighed her at the week before ... she feels way heavier and feeds pretty good ... so I think I'll trust my dr.

First week home was a dream ... fed every 2-3 hours and slept 3-4 hours. Only woke once at night, twice if we went to bed too early.

Second week ... still really good, and starting sleeping longer during the night.

Third week ... very restless and upset. Didn't help that we travelled back to our parents for 4 days and all over the place visiting people. Plus she got really bad wind and tummy pains. Bought some stuff from the chemist which has worked wonders! Got back into our own routine once we got home though which settled her down a fair bit.

Best thing about going home ... feeding her and palming her off to mum while I went to bed and caught up on a LOT of much needed sleep. Feel great again and now just nap in the chair when i can ... have even been cleaning this week!

This week ... poor little Jovi has oral thrush. Has really thrown her. Last couple of days has only wanted to sleep in our arms or in our bed ... has been sleeping in her bed today, but not normal sleeps ... usually get off her to sleep in my arms within minutes, put her down ... been lucky if she's stayed there for an hour before she wakes up again crying ... but then that hasn't been too bad today ... cos her mouth hurts she's only having little feeds so I've been feeding her more often.

Will be much happier though when she is all better and we get back in to our little routine.

She pretty much sleeps through the night now which is nice. Has her last feed around 10-11 and will sleep until 5-6 most nights. If she wakes up early, we just do our thing and go back to bed.

Me ... I'm doing fine ... now I've caught up on my sleep. The house is doing ok except for the kitchen. Every time I start getting it under control my attention goes elsewhere (where do you think) and I just never get back there! DH does all the other cleaning (if I haven't already done it), but not the kitchen which is fine ... and I like doing it anyway ... its just getting there at the moment. His parents are coming at the end of the week so it will definitely be done by then.

I've been lucky enough to escape the problems we tend to have breastfeeding ... I had one crack on my nipple when I first started which hurt like hell, but have had nothing since which has been good.

Attempted a first bottle feed the other day (after hand expressing for an hour!) but Jovi hated it and wouldn't suck the bottle at all. Oh well! Got until August before I'm back at work ... will have another go in a few weeks or so ... she definitely has to get the hang of it before I go back to work ... I have flexible working hours but considering she has times where she might want to feed for an hour or so, I'd rather just get her bottle fed and not have to worry about trying to make up hours at work.

Anyway ... that's all I've time for at the moment (what am I talking about! have been trying to write this over the last hour! lol)

Never ~ Thanks for the advice. My main concern is that he will be dead to the world asleep and then when I put him down he wakes up. I'm thinking though it's because of the wind in his bowels atm. During the day he's fine and I think its because he's not flat on his back. Whereas at night I put him flat on his back and that's when he stirs. So its either that or he just wants to sleep with Mummy all of the time!!! I hope that Mel is feeling better now - yay for the tooth!!

Kat ~ Thanks so much for pointing those articles out. They've made me feel a whole lot better about some of the choices I've been making. I've been using the carrier, attending to him when he cries most of the time (unless its just a grizzle) and co sleeping when he's unsettled. So its nice to know that I'm not completely doing the wrong thing. They have some great advice in them so thanks - I don't think I would have read them otherwise! I tend to forget BB has a main page LOL.

Bellasmum ~ WELCOME TO BABIES BORN IN MAY!!! Congrats on the birth of Patrick. I hope that you get to bring him home soon as it sounds like he is doing well. Do they have a certain weight they want him to reach before you take him home? How are you coping having him in hospital?

Baby_crazy05 ~ WELCOME TO BABIES BORN IN MAY!!! Congrats on the birth of little Jovi. She sounds like an angel - I wish I was getting that much sleep!! ATM Emerson is having huge bowel/wind issues which is keeping him unsettled a whole lot. Trying different things with BF but we have a family history of BM intolerance for one reason or another so we may soon be heading to bottle feeding which doesn't bother me in the slightest - just as long as my little man is happier! I hope that Jovi's oral thrush gets better as well.

Well today we went out to Port Wakefield and saw my Dad's extended family at the footy. It was great to see them and they loved meeting Emerson as well. I dressed him in the cutest little cargo pants and t-shirt. And then when we rocked up not only did he need a feed but the poor little man had a leaky nappy which had leaked all up his backside. So off with the cute outfit and on with the trusty bonds wondersuit LOL. He was much happier after that! But we had a really good day and Em behaved himself beautifully. We will go over to the Peninsula and see them again once he is a bit older and more settled. ATM its just a struggle to get out and about normally. Very tired now though so I'm going to go and watch Big Brother - I have Em strapped to me and he's fast asleep. It meant I've got the kitchen clean, the washing done and things generally tidied up which is great.

Will pop back in tomorrow I'm sure!

Welcome to all the new May born bubbies and Mums.
    very quiet in here ladies. I have finally decided to show my face in the 'born in May'
    my little boy is doing well and DD is coping nicely but has realised that she can run a muck whilst I am BF (standing on the coffee table which is located in front of the TV and then pulls at the video!!) She just looks at me and then smiles before she does it. Grrr
    I am so glad to hear everyone is doing well. Cant wait for Kellee to have her bubby! For all those who are having trouble with BF - my only recommendation is go to Aust Breast Feeding web site or even ring the local BF association - they are the experts. (and the lactation consultants of course). I was reading a bit on secondary lactose intolerance and has really given me some help too. Matthew was doing the same as Em and Adam and it seems to have really slowed things down with him and is really settling better and longer at night too.
    Will keep up on reading the posts although may not get a chance to respond too often.
    Take care
    Shan

Kellee Guest

Hello all! Well, sorry I havenít posted Ė I bet you were all thinking things were happening. Alas, Ďtis not to be. I went to the hospital yesterday because I had some swelling, but the good news is that everything is ok in that department as my blood pressure was perfect, as usual. The bad news is that after the internal that they did it looks like an induction is the only way. I thought he wanted out (heís been giving me niggles for nigh on two weeks now) but obviously Iím just to fat and squishy and comfy. I had a big emotional episode over it last night (from about 3 until 5 in the morning, worse luck Ė DH and I are a bit weary today!) which I wonít go into now, but Iím feeling a little bit better about it. At least I have a definite date that it will all be over, although I donít know if thatís a good thing or not. I still have a few emotional things to sort out, but at least I have a few days. My cervix was fairly tightly closed, so unless things change drastically between now and then they will probably give me the gels. Would love to hear about your inductions Ė I donít really know what happens. My main concern is the possibility of having to have a Caesar, which scares the **** out of me. Iíll deal with it either way, but itís all a bit much atm. Iíll feel better soon, Iím sure.

Looks like you guys have been busy without me. Iíll try to catch upÖ here goes!

Lea Ė learning the difference between the cries is so hard! IKWYM about wanting to break the holding/rocking to sleep thing. I suppose that you try a few things Ė either making him go to sleep on his own Ďcold turkeyí or maybe you could try letting him cry for a bit, then going in to let him see that youíre still there (maybe pick him up briefly) and put him down and try again. To be honest, Iím not sure what to do with newborns. We rocked/patted/fed Charlie to sleep for six months and by the end of it he was just not sleeping at all. We had to do a version of the controlled crying thing Ė a very experienced MCHN came in a helped us figure out the difference between the cries so that we knew which ones to go in for (it wasnít as rigid as cc, but it worked well for him). It took a few weeks, but since then he has been an angel with his sleeping. Weíre getting the same MCHN in when this one is born so she can give us some ideas about routines with newborns, so Iíll tell you if she has any tips! Sorry I canít be more help than that. Maybe you could call Tresillian (or the equivalent) in your state? They might have some advice over the phone, or they might have special classes or brochures you could look into. Glad you got some info out of the articles Kathryn suggested.

Hello Jess! Lovely to have you here (even though Iím not officially here yet!). Congratulations on the birth of little Patrick. When do you think heíll be coming home?

Hello Baby Crazy too! Congratulations on the birth of Jovi Ė it sounds like sheís really thriving! I hope that she gets over it soon. I get it too (I have it atm) so I know how much it sucks. What do you give babies for it? I hope sheís able to telepathically tell my bub to sleep that well at night too! Thatís wonderful for you. Glad the b/f seems to be going well too.

Vic Ė yay for Melís tooth! Well, at least you know what it was now. Thereís nothing worse than when they cry and you donít know why. How are you finding Mel is with Adam? Does she have any jealousy issues at all? Last time I asked it seemed like she was doing wellÖ just trying to gauge how Charlie might be.

Sheree Ė thanks for thinking of me and sending me the sms. Hope Lachy is doing well.

Anyway, must go and try and catch up with my other forums. Hope all your bubs are doing well. Will try and check in again tomorrow, otherwise will definitely write on Wednesday sometime before the big B Day. Wow, writing that it seems so close! Love to all.

Kellee Guest

Oops, jinx Shan! Glad that your gorgeous boy is doing well, but cheeky little DD! I suppose I should prepare myself for that too... thanks for reminding me about the B/F Assoc. I really should get a membership for that. I think they have all kinds of classes and mothers groups on things other than b/f too, so it might be useful. Glad that you're well.

Nat, It does get better. I couldn't do thecontrolled crying thing either. And, despite all the info available, she's my baby and I will tend to her how I see fit. I will probably make a rod for my back, but she's a child, my child and I can't bear her to be upset. Liek Vic says she must be crying for a reason and I'm getting better at figuring that out.

Kellee, I had to have an induction after a non progressive labour. If you have the drip all I can say is ask for an epidural. It is unrelenting. I dealt with it for 6 hours and then needed a rest. Best thing I did and when I had to have the emergency c sec there was no mucking around. A csec is what you make it. I recovered well cos I didn't worry about it too much and just took it all in my stride. I had one and now have a healthy baby. I didn't fail to deliver her - she didn't want to come out. The nurses kept wanting me to have pain relief which I only needed at night (when you're groggy sometimes you forget to be careful). I wanted to get out of bed asap and that turned out to be the best thing and I was walking around within a couple of hours (thenks to nosey inlaws who couldn't manage to visit in the visiting hours and I had to go downstairs - like they were going to take my baby without my accompaniement like they wanted!!).

Vic, I'd have Mel for you. I could do with a helper sometimes LOL! And I'm up all night anyways...

Allison - my bub didn't BF until three weeks, and now she's improving in leaps and bounds. I keep at it for her and we're beginning to make a great team. The lactation consutlant saved me. Hope you get some benefit out of it. I understand exactly on the expressing how hard it is (I was doing the same). I found that the Pigeon Peristaltic nipple is the best one for assimilating breast feel for their bottles and Darc has improved heasp when I still do need to express (Cam's feeding her now).

Well you'll probably get the gist, but I'm feeling heaps better. The BF is improving and we are getting along much better. We have even been away for the weekend! Darcy has put on an average of 200g per week and has changed so much already. Can't belive she is 4wks/28 days tomorrow!On the flip side I have managed to launder both of our mobiles this week and have lost some recordings of the CTG and me in labour - very upset about those.

Hope everyone is progressing and feeling OK.

Well, ladies..first up thanks for welcoming me in here!
    Patrick has now been in the SCN for 12 days and last night I roomed in with him to see how he went with one whole day of breastfeeding.
    Woke up this morning at 3.30 to have him weighed and my heart dropped when the nurse said he had actually lost weight! I honestly felt like I had failed my baby and that he would be in SCN for a very long time.
    About 10 the Paed turned up and I had convinced myself that he was going to say how long Patrick was going to stay in here and that obviously my Breastmilk wasn't any good and that they would be starting him on formula from now on.
    Instead he said, lets see about letting little Patrick go home. DH and I just about went through the roof. After an hour we had all the paperwork done and we walked out the door of the hospital at 12.30 pm today.
    So, Patrick is home and fast asleep in his little bed. I've decided not to keep him at his 4 hourly feeds as he is usually asleep, so I'll feed him when he WANTS to be fed!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast