Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #7

CatherineL Guest

Celtic, So how many feeds does he have a day? How much does he weigh? I was just going by the post you posted in Rebecca's thread of 180mls. Anyways, it's none of my business - I was just informing you... Even Rochelle at her 5.4kgs as of today should only be having roughly 100mls each feed If she was having 8 feeds a day.

Star, I think it depends on the baby too! I don't think it's a method everyone will know how to work, because it's comprised of lots of little details also - like keeping calm, because a baby can tell when you anxious, which is understandable when you so desperately want them to go to sleep. I suppose not everyone has that ability. I have heard that formula does make them sleep longer because it's harder to digest then BM, therefore their tummies stay fuller for longer. But there is a special formula I have heard about, I think Ursula called it 'Sweetdreams' which is supposed to make them sleep extra long because it keeps their tummy fuller for longer. Obviously if you give him a bottle and every feed he misses it's a feed you body isn't getting a signal to make - but it shouldn't be a problem if you intend on continuing to give him that bottle. I haven't had a problem picking back up that extra feed that I was FF'ing her. But I suppose my supply was/is still settling. Good luck!

I personally don't like to let her cry herself into exhaustion. I don't let her cry now only because as I said, I personally think at this age they are crying for a genuine reason... whether it be reflux, hungry, uncomfortable etc. But for me this method has worked and she self settles, instead of letting her scream herself to sleep which she'd probably still be doing and not have learnt to settle herself. Don't get me wrong, after 3 months, I won't be so attentive to every whim because they have a better understanding at that point of their surroundings. I think we forget that they don't understand anything, not even themselves, at this stage they can't control their cries - it's an automatic thing that their brain signals. Human beings are the most undeveloped species at birth... You can understand why they cry when left in the crib... Being left by the only thing they know.

Amber - My number is still the same as on the list. I am planning to get Santa photo's too, I'm trying to find a place that does the calanders too though, i'd like to include them in our cards out to our extended family. Can't wait to see Myles!

Trish - Woohoo on the loosing the baby weight - that's fantastic! Have you tried your Gaia products yet?

My pram is broken We have hardly used it and it's already buggered! It now has a mind of it's own - like the shopping trollys do... Will have to ring up tomorrow and chase up warranty.

Star - Kieran does the same, sometimes if I just let him cry for a couple of minutes he tires himself out and I can settle him more easily. Whether or not they are in discomfort definitely plays a part in how they settle. Kieran is a dream compared to Joel! I can put him down while he is awake and most times he doesn't complain anymore. If he does need settling it only takes 30 seconds max, this took a couple of weeks of persistance, but it has paid off.

Kellie - I dug out your email address and forwarded that doc to you. Don't worry, I'm watching the Idol final too! I always get sucked into any type of music show.

Celtic - Wow, what a great little sleeper Ryan is!

Boomba - How gorgeous getting a Santa photo taken, can't wait to see it! I tried to get a Santa photo with Joel when he was 12 months old, but Santa's helper scared him with her bell that she rang in his face and he wouldn't stop screaming! I was a bit sad and worried that he would be scarred for life, LOL!

ETA - Catherine - Bummer about your pram! Is it under warranty? I haven't tried those products yet, but will pull them out tomorrow and see how they go.
    Last edited by ~Trish~; November 25th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Trish - just received your email... looks very interesting!

LizzysMum Guest

Hi,

Interesting reading all the different ways of settling. I guess different things for different mums and bubs you gotta do what fits for you. I just can't let my babies cry especially at this young age, I agree with Catherine that they are crying for a reason and the latest research is showing that CC can have other effects. I read about it on this site actually, and I made Dh read it too and now he understands where I am coming from.

I do let her fuss and have a little whinge I don;t go runnign at the first noise but I can tell when she is going to settle and when shes not.

Gotta run

I agree they cry for a reason...but if there are fed, clean, not hot/cold etc.....why are they crying? I let Jas cry....she settles in the end...and crying develops their lungs!

Hi ladies, its been a while.

We are both doing well. Have started going to mother's group, which is fantastic. I have started getting to courge to breast feed in public (covered up)! Iwas proud of myself when I fed her at our first meeting

Tiera has been sleeping well and has even started sleeping quite well during the day. Wed night she slept for 8hrs, Thurs & Fri nights she fed every 4hrs and last night went 7 then 5hrs... NICE! Tonight she is a bit unsettled which has caught me off guard, I didn't have a rest this afternoon as I really didn't think I'd need it. Silly me!

1 question... Do/have any of our taken your baby's for a swim??? I would really like to start taking Tiera swimming soon (in a heated pool), but not too sure if I should??? I know swimming lessons don't start until 6 months so I want to keep her water instincks until then. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Have fun hope evenyone and their new additions are happy and well. Take care (I wont leave it so long this time!)

Just a quick pop in to wish Claire, Nic and Kate a good day tomorrow, though I was intending to go I found out today that my bronchitis is actually pneumonia and they want me in hospital - at this point I have refused and am hoping the strong antibiotics work. If no improvement on Tuesday I have no choice. CAtch up later - have a great day!

Ursula - sorry to hear you are so unwell! Rest up and take it easy (well as much as you can)
    We'll miss you tomorrow!

Tiff- well done to you for doing your first public BF! I've still only done it twice at this stage, thought i'd have to do it again today at the shops but I found a fantastic mothers room and sat in there to feed.
    Re swimming - might be a good idea to ask your dr/ob/midwife at the 6 week checkup.

BRIS MEET UP??

are we meeting at 10.30???

becky Guest

Hey all
    Wish me luck for tomorrow! Have our next xrays at 9am. Will let you know how we go. Fingers crossed she will be ok, but Im not getting my hopes up.

Pish - Im not sure, but Ive heard chlorine is not great for newborns and to usually wait til they are about 3 months old. Not sure though.

Oh Becky good luck for today i hope the scans go ok.

We have an appointment at 11.30. Ill let u know how Jasmine is doing.

All the best, fingers crossed something can be done and little Chelsea will be fixed!

Chelsea's are strong and fighters

CatherineL Guest

Kim, the cry because they are uncomfortable, have pain, wind, lonely, scared... I wouldn't let my child cry to promote lung development. She can breath fine and they will continue to develop themselves. If Ro is lonely and needs comfort and giving her a bit of a cuddle will stop her crying, I do it because they a)aren't going to be this small for long b)because i'm her mummy and i'm supposed to give her comfort. I think we forget that at this young they don't have the skill to manipulate us, their under developed brain can't make sense or logic of things yet. But it's each to their own.

Pish - I'm glad things are going well for you! I know Mum's aren't allowed to go swimming in a public pool for 6 weeks... and i'm unsure on the chlorine, but have heard of NB's swimming before. Maybe have a deep bath with her instead... Ro loves floating in the bath with me.

Ursula, you poor thing! I wondered how you were doing... so sorry to hear your sick Rest up and get better soon!

Miss kate - yup, 10.30! See you outside the cinema's!

Bloody Daniel woke me up to change his flight home for today.... poor bugger is sick!

rallybbek Guest

Catherine - totallt agree with you on the whole crying thing, you and i have the same approah and Toby seems to be a lot more settled baby and dosnt really get hysterical either.

Toby slept from 10.30 to 5am. First time yay, hope it is not a fluke!

Ursula - You poor thing, get better soon! Have you finished all of your school work/ exams?

I wanna go to the brissy meet too!! How long is a flight from melb to the gold coast?!! lol
    I am taking the girls to the movies today, they are so excited! Hopefully it will be good, least of all cool!
    The girls and Toby are having photos with santa on wed, hopefully it will be a good photo.
    We are also going to have a family portrait done, first one. The girls had pixie photos done a while ago, but they are pretty xxy.
    Hope you have a lovely day,
    Bec

I never said i let her cry to develop her lungs did i??

I simply said crying develops lungs.

As u said..each to their own. I was just saying wat i do. Worked with Chelsea so im doing something right with my kids.

Morning all. Well last night was a pretty good night...however her feed times are reducing during the night. First there was 4.5 hours between feeds, then 3 then 2! Just had better not drop to 1!!
    But I have of course another dilema. I think the times are reducing cause at night she is falling asleep during the feed cause the teat is so small (reduced it cause it seemed to help with reflux) and has to try so hard. And therefore isnt getting enouh at each feed. Hmm...might try her on the 2's today and see how things go.
    Has anyone ever tried to go back to bf after bottle feeding? I was wondering if it was worth a try. I havent bf in over 5 weeks and yesterday they started leaking! Quite a surprise I can tell you...the guy at the supermarket didnt know what to say - especially considering I didnt have bubs with me to explain it away! Poor guy!
    Anyway - am off to shower and the rest of it. Talk later.

LizzysMum Guest

Hi today!

Rebecca - if you want to BF I would put her on again. if you have any supply it will increase the more she feeds. Keep your fluids up and try not to stress LOL!

Catherine and Bec - I am also in agreement with you regarding the crying. Glad it seems to be working for you guys too. I did a bit of self settling with Eliza but not until she was about 12-18 months and could understand I was coming back (every 2 minutes LOl!) She worked it out after about 3 nights.

Re Santa we don't so Santa pics Eliza is scared stiff of him LOL!

Better run, bubba hungry!

Morning all!

Rebecca - So glad to hear you had a better night! Hopefully you get things sorted with the right sized teat, it is such trial and error isn't it?!

Ursula - I'm sorry to hear you are so sick. It must be so hard having to cope with a baby and having to study etc... I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Re: settling vs letting bub cry, I think every mum and every baby is different and we need to do what works for us as individuals. For some that means letting baby cry for a little while if mum is coping and knows that bub's needs are all met (like Kim said), and for others that means going in and settling bub straight away, or after a couple of minutes. I am a weakling and can't bear to hear Kieran crying for long so I go in to him after no more than 2 minutes (that 2 minutes feels like forever!). I don't think there is a right or wrong method, I think the right method is when mum and bub are both happy and coping well. Anyway, that is my thought for the day!

Hope all the ladies having a meet-up enjoy themselves!

CatherineL Guest

Very well said Trish!

I just don't think a method is working months and months after you've been doing and still have to rant about ya kids. I love knowing Rochelle goes to sleep thinking the world is a great place and all her needs are met. She sleeps well because she is content, not because she is exhausted from screaming. Therefore I sleep well and really don't have any reason to complain... Maybe I am just really lucky and have a really good baby... But some say luck has nothing to do with it. But I think we all agree that each baby is different and some are more difficult than others. But I am glad we are all happy within ourselves and our own techniques!

Quote Originally Posted by kimbaz View Post
    I agree they cry for a reason...but if there are fed, clean, not hot/cold etc.....why are they crying? I let Jas cry....she settles in the end...and crying develops their lungs!
    Kim, I'm sorry - I must have misunderstood... That's what it sounded like to me.

Rebecca! I have heard of many people relactating even when there bubs are much older! Maybe look on the ABA for details? TBH, I think it would be easier to start now she is a little older, because I think it's actually easier to attach Ro now because her mouth is bigger and she can open it wider kwim? But she's a little monkey and always tries and attaches herself. Also, there is another lady on BB who is BF'ing and comp feeding with formula whilst she gets her supply back up, maybe you could talk to her! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Rallybekk - Come on up to the Gold Coast!! LOL... You can come stay at my house!!

Angela - I hope your weekend was awesome!

Ro and I have been discussing what she is going to wear tomorrow to meet up with you ladies and little ones, I told her she is wearing her cabbage patch dress, but she says she doesn't wanna, she wants to wear her peter rabbit dress or another new dress... decisions, decisions! LOL

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast