Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #7

Default Babies Born October 2007 #7

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in October 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.
    Previous Thread

Terri - Lachlan has only been wearing a singlet and a nappy for the last few days, both night and day. Otherwise he wears a short sleeve, no leg romper suit and a singlet when we take him out. We swaddle him in a muslin wrap for all sleeps and he sleeps in our room with the fan on, but not the a/c at this stage. I was told yesterday to tell the baby's temp that you feel the back of the neck. If it is hot and sweaty then they are too hot. I think about 18 degrees is the ideal temp for overnight. The general rule that I have been told is that you add a layer to whatever you are wearing for the baby. So if you are wearing a tshirt and shorts for bubs you would add a layer like a singlet.

Rebecca - I feel for you. There could be so many reasons why Caitlyn is clingy. My immediate thought was that you just need to let her cry a bit when she is on her own, within reason of course, and she will learn to self settle, get used to the new environment etc. L was clingy to begin with, and still is, but I think that was more to do with me not knowing what else to do with him, than him just wanting to be with me all the time. I find it so frustrating to have to carry L around all the time and not have my hands free.

DH had downloaded Nirvana songs that have been done as lullabies. Actually quite good and relaxing to listen to. He has put them on my Ipod. Of course he then needed to go out and buy some speakers so that we can play it in L's nursery. DH is such a techno head. He was just looking for some gadget to buy!

ooo tuesday will be so good!!!

Nic sorry to hear u are having problems again

I was told the fine for not voting was $50...well thats wat the polling guy told us when we arrived not long off closing time.

CatherineL Guest

Whatever the amount, I'd be still p!ssed to pay it! A dollar is still a dollar in my books!

I know every baby is different, but we have been told by the CHN that in the first 3 months you can't spoil a baby and they only generally cry if something is the matter and they are rather genuine. I'm not saying this applies to all your babies, but it's definately the case with Rochelle. I'm not sure whether Rochelle is just an easy baby or whether it is because we are routine'ing and all her needs are always met before she realises them, kwim? But to be perectly honest, my gf's who routine'd also said the same thing about their bubs... But maybe it's all just a coincidence and we have had easy bubs. However, if Rochelle was full on screaming and crying even in my arms, and I had done everything I could - i.e. change her nappy, make sure she wasn't hungry, burp her, bath and massage her, rub her belly and bring her knees to her tummy, soothe her by cuddling/rocking or something rythmic - I personally would put her in her cot and let her handle it herself. Thankfully that hasn't happen to us YET (fingers crossed) but that's what the nurse told one of the other mum's at the CHC mum's group, she said sometimes they get upset because they are tired of being handled and just need a break from us.

Yeah Nic, I meant to say something last post - Sorry to hear your havinf BF'ing problems again... Fingers crossed he takes to the breast again soon. I still haven't switched over to formula, I have myself decided to give it a week (next Saturday) to try my hardest to get the thrush sorted and have some improvement.

Hope everyone is well... I wonder how Ursula is going with her exams.

Yeah I am just looking up to see what the fine is now - not happy - Wayne's boss says he isnt going to pay it! I wish we could just tell him to stick his job but the money is too good.
    Catherine - Danny goes away for 5 days at a time?? Wow - difficult for you but sounds like you have an ok bub. It feels like Wayne is gone for 5 days (sometimes 7) at a time. He starts work at 7 and sometimes doesnt get home until around 730-8 at night and there are some times where its not until 11. So I dont ask him to do any feeds (although he volunteered to do one this morning ) So it does kinda feel like (sometimes) that I am doing it on my own. He is even at work today - dont know when he will be home!
    Sorry about the BF issues - I know how you feel. With all the stress of staying at my MIL, attachment issues and the Nazi midwife I gave it up after a week. Really wish I hadnt - was one thing I wanted to do.
    I am just letting her do the crying thing in her cot right now. Carried her around in the carrier for half an hour and she fell asleep. She is fed, clean and dry and has had cuddles. She is not screaming (yet) so am letting her go for 5 mins and maybe she will put herself to sleep (in fact I can hear the cries getting shorter and shorter and less intense!) Lets see how we go!
    Hope everyone has a great day. Will check back in later.

CatherineL Guest

Yeah I know how you feel when you say you feel like your doing it alone... I feel like that even when Danny is home. He loves being a Daddy, but I think since he is away for 5 days at a time, when he comes home he feels like he has to get to know Ro again. Does that make sense? He was fab in the beginning and wanted to do absolutely EVERYTHING! But when he comes home now, if she starts to pout he hands her straight over to me and says 'she wants booby' even though she has just been fed. Every little whim she makes Danny thinks she wants booby... He doesn't seem to understand that she gets bored or is a little lonely. When he is home, I'll be trying to do the million things that I haven't done whilst his away thinking he can look after her, yet I still have to look after her and run around and cook dinner etc. He's almost scared of her! I can't even have a shower in peace! LOL. As I said I am just so thankful Rochelle isn't too much of a drama cupcake. Would be one good thing about switching to formula... Danny can do some bloody feeds! ATM, I can't even express the areolas are that sore from the thrush.

Anyway, I was just going to say Rebecca, You can definitely ignore me. But i just thought i'd tell you what I did with Rochelle when I was transferring her over to her big cot and self settle in there. Soon as she was calm and sleepy, I would put her down in her cot. If she got upset, I would go back in and pat her and reassure her by stroking her face or stroking her head etc. If she was so upset she wouldn't settle from me reassuring her that way, i'd pick her up and soothe her in my arms just until she was settled (not asleep) and pop her back in her cot, stroke her face and then leave the room - If she started to get upset again, i'd go back in and do it again - and it only took a couple of times before she fell asleep. And then after a couple of nap times doing that - she would fall asleep without any fuss on her own in her cot. This mighten work for everyone, but it worked for us! One other thing that I'm not sure if it helped or not, is i layed her on a blanket we used for bf'ing so it reminded her of me and it wasn't too strange to her to just be in the big cot where nothing was familliar. Don't know if any of that made sense. But by all means just ignore this, I just thought i'd share what worked for us. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job anyway, I would have done the same thing as you. And I am giving BF'ing another week because I know I will regrett it later on down the track if I give up now and will be so proud if I BF through to the end. But if no improvement after this week - well then enough is enough!

Off shopping now - have a good day everyone!
    Last edited by CatherineL; November 25th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.

LizzysMum Guest

Hi all,

You poor love Rebecca, sounds like you need a wee rest. Apart from everything else said which has all ben great maybe take her= to an osteopath that has some experinece with babies. I took Amara at 4 weeks just for a check over to make sure nothing was"out" from the birth. He was great. He did also mention that car seats can "jam them up" 'cos they are so scrunched. She may just be "
    jammed up" Amara liked the Osteopath as they are really gentle. Just a thought?

I find if I let Amara cry it just gets worse but hope a little bit of letting it all out works for you and bubba!

Hugs,

LOL Lizzysmum - would love to take her to a paediatrican or osteopath if necessary but I live about 800 km from the nearest one so it will definitely be a final option - to drive that far on my own with bub would be a drama!
    Catherine - I make it a point to never ignore any advice given - try it, if it works - great, if not then at least i tried something new.
    At least you are open to the formula feeding. I really didnt want to and when the BF failed, I felt like a failure. But like I said, I had a lot of stresses and I think Caitlyn felt that and didnt attach properly. After 2 days I had cracked bleeding nipples and every time she latched on - i cried. The midwife who did the home visits basically said that I just had to perservere - which i tried to do but Wayne got so upset seeing me in agony and our little girl freaking out that he just sat me down and said - is it worth it? I did have 2 different midwives come visit me and I am glad the 2nd one did cause she said if its not working for either of us....try something different. It was not worth getting stressed about. She was great. The 1st midwife said that I had no other option but to bf - i was a bad mum if i didnt try longer. Now my nipples were bleeding all the time - not just when she was on them - thats how bad they were. The problem was compounded by me having flat (not inverted) nipples. Was harder to do.
    Anyway - Caitlyn is down having a nap. We elevated the head of her bed last night and it seems to be working well. She went down from 8 until 1245 but then was up again every 2-3 hours. She had a feed at 10 am and is now down for a nap - no doubt she will be waking soon so I had better go make sure I have some bottles made up!
    Oh and the fine for not voting - I think its only $20

In the end you do whats best for you baby and wat works for you.

Me letting Jasmine cry when i want her to sleep works for us. Im not one that likes to pick my kids up at the first cry...or 15 mins later...i will try to settle while she is in her cradle but i dont 'mummy' her. FF works for us now...i didnt wanna but i gave BF a shot so wat more can i ask for. I have a happy baby and thats wat matters!!

That sucks u live so far from any resources Rebecca....but you are doing a great job with Caitlyn.

Pics on Chels' site now from party #1 :P

Hi all,

Kim - Cute birthday pics! Looks like Chelsea had a great time at her party!!

Rebecca - Hope you are having a better day today. I'm glad that raising her bedhead is working. Sounds like she may have a bit of reflux? You are doing a fantastic job with Caitlyn and she will be a very happy bub for you before you know it.

Catherine - I use a similar method to you to settle Kieran and it works great for us too. It didn't work with Joel though, so maybe it just depends on the baby and whether or not they are in any pain or discomfort (Joel was). It is definitely worth a shot though!

Saffi - I never knew that someone had turned Nirvana songs into lullabys, how bizaare! Must try and download one to hear it for myself.

Hi to everyone else!

We went to the beach yesterday afternoon and had a nice wander around, so nice to get out of the house! This morning I left the boys with DH for an hour or so and took myself shopping. I bought a couple of tops that help hide my post-baby podge. I have lost 13kg since having Kieran, but I still have 8 more to lose before I am my pre-baby weight. I don't know how long it will take to get there though so I thought I'd better buy a few things I feel comfortable in for summer. BTW maternity bras are 40% off a Target at the moment! I bought myself another one while they are so cheap.

Have a great day everyone!

becky Guest

Gorgeous pics Kim!

Kim great pics, Looks like everyone had a great time

Great pics kim! I love the one with her in the dorthery tail!!! Looks like you all had a wonderfull day!
    Cant wait for tuesday!
    Catherine is your number still the same one from the email list?

We had our pic taken to day with santa! Myles was great and looked right at the camera! I will post some in the gallery soon!
    Have a good night ladies!x

Trish and Catherine - I am also using that method to start getting him to self-settle. And Trish I think you're right when you say it works for some and not for others - I think Mateo is in a bit of discomfort with his cold and he very rarely self-settles - mostly drops straight off as soon as you pick him up or I comfort feed him. But the good thing I found about letting him cry a little while on his own is that it really wears him out! After about two or three rounds of letting him go, calming him with a cuddle or pat then letting him go again he is buggered, and falls into a lovely, deep sleep.

Thanks for the tips Saffi - I was overdressing him as put him in a short bodysuit last night and today has been just in singlet and nappy and rash has gone down heaps!!! Poor little bugger! They can't tell us they're hot can they?

Looks like a great party Kim!! :-)

I am thinking about trying a FF at 9pm as Mateo is still waking every three hours all day and night and I am finding it exhausting - especially the midnight feed. Has anyone tried this and has it helped bub sleep longer? Also, I don't want it to affect BM supply as that side of things is going beautifully at the moment.

Becky - beautiful pics of your babies!

Catherine-I'm following what the hosp advised and what it says on the side of the formula tin, he sleeps for 6 hours in the arvo then from 10-5 and usually wants food every 3-4 hours. He usually only drinks abt 140-160 depending how hot its been

hmm...i thought having my mother here would give me MORE time for faffing around on here. seems not.

petachristy - just got to read your PM now. am still doing my research on pumps and what-not so understand if you need to ebay. if you are allowed to post the link, i'll keep an eye on it. i'm still not sure exactly which one i need if i'm not going to be 'seriously' expressing.

catherine - great to see you the other day, you fab little mommy. you're doing amazingly well for having the 5-day away house-man. isn't it a pain you had to ditch the BF again? man! lucky Ro is already good with bottles and such.

now, whoever asked about brizzy/gc clothes... jj has only worn long suits twice, and that was when the weather suddenly went yuck a few weeks back. right now, he wears his nappy and singlet during the day, and i put him in a shortie suit to go out. he usually wees, poos or voms on anything within minutes of putting it on so query why i even bother.

at night he is in a singlet and muslin wrap. if the temp in his room is below 24 then i put a bunny rug over the bassinet to keep a bit of warmth in. if it's 21-22 then i'll put the bunny rug tucked around him. i use the IR thermometer in his room all the time to see what the room temp is. his fan goes all night most nights too... his room gets quite warm in the afternoon. if it's really hot we put our AC on and let it snake into his.

i'm ott about temperature since DH has so many measuring devices. i've noticed JJ sleeps better and is happier if it's really quite toasty.

i had so many posts to read that my brain is swimming and i can't remember who else i wanted to say stuff to...

may not get back on much while maman is here - but i'll be at the hyperdome on tuesday... weeeee!

wow, it has been busy in here, haven't been on in a couple of days and have hundreds of posts to read through!

Trish - could you email me a copy of that doc too? do you still have my email address?

I got the last 2 bounty bags, but missed out on the 1st one (dont know why) ... I wouldnt be too disappointed in missing out on the 3rd one... it hardly had anything in it!

Had to take Tahlia to the docs yesterday - her belly button was looking a bit yuk, and its still weeping a little, so the doc cleaned it out with betadine and took a swab too make sure its not infected (he says its unlikely), so we get those results back on Tuesday... I think its ok though cause it looks heaps better today.

We went out for breaky this morning, and Tahlia slept the whole time! I was sure that as soon as our meals were brought out she would start crying, but she didn't! It was great getting out, it made me feel human again!

Anyway, I'm off to watch the Idol finale! I'm a sucker for those reality shows

Hope everyone gets lots of sleep tonight!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast