Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #11

Default Babies Born September 2007 #11

ightThis thread is for parents who's baby was born in September 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Administrator
    Sherie - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Baby Formula - What Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids or formula.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Your previous thread can be found here

Wow, what a mighty effort we put into the last thread LOL.

Renee, Alister can't really hold his head up that well when he is on his belly. he can move it from side to side and lift it up to do that, but he just lays with his head to the side most of the time. His head control when he is being held is excellent though, but he does have moments when he will all of a sudden lose the control and his head will drop down.

Bratz dolls - I hate them and think they are single-handedly the ugliest doll on the market. I do get the point they were trying to make with them about attitude and style, but that's also something I don't want to instill in my daughters either.

The Maternity ward Christmas party was great. The kids had a ball at it. Alister and I even got our pic in the local paper with the midwife I had for his birth. I will scan it and post it in my gallery later.

I had a huge day yesterday at Wagga shopping and I even got a parking ticket! I have never had one before. I only overstayed by a few minutes too.

All is otherwise well here, a bit on the hot side though.

MD - hope the mastitis clears up quickly - lucky you had the right abs on hand!!

Noni - glad you had a good time at the party.

Pregpan - hope you have a lovely time in Melbourne. As for ttc #2, if it happens, it will be a while away!

Sherie - glad you had a good time at your party. I've only ever had 2 parking tickets, which I got in the space of a month!!

K has really good neck control when she is sitting up. When it is tummy time, it is so dependent on her mood. Sometimes she won't even try to lift it up, other times her whole body is rocking away on her tummy with everything else up in the air.

Well the party was good last night, nice to get out and about. Shame we had to leave to get K into bed, but that's the way it goes I suppose. Unfortunately, she woke at 2:30 and 5!! So I am feeling a bit of a wreck today. Tried to have a nap this morning, but she kept making little noises that I could hear through the monitor so didn't actually manage any sleep. But I have managed to get the housecleaned today so that is something. DH has done the lawns, so all we have to do tomorrow is the never ending pile of laundry!!

I'm hoping Bratz dolls are out of fashion by the time K reaches that age - they're awful! But there probably will be something else just as bad to replace them!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

MD - can you pm me the website for the wonder weeks summary - thanks
    Last edited by Cally; December 8th, 2007 at 03:47 PM.

Marydean - CHD lmao thats hillarious! Mastitis sounds horrible you poor thing. What happened to the good old 'normal' barbie doll!? Well....I guess they were a bit wrong too with their massive boobs, incy wincy waist and perfect face! What is this wonder week book? Sounds interesting.

Katie - GHD's are the best arent they! I have a hot pink one, my mum bought it for me when I turned 21. Its addictive.

Renee - I hate it when my brain is going mad thinking stupid thoughts and I cant sleep. Very frustrating. Yay good boy Rory! Sounds like he just needed time to adjust to new surroundings. Have lots of fun tonight!!!

Noni - I know I've said it so many times before, but Asha is just such a little cutie. I like the second pic best. What an excellent idea. I'm so glad you went to the chrissy party.

Pregpan - I know its a bit late, but good luck for the flight. I was planning on having my hair perfectly straightened for the birth of Maddie so I'd look half decent in pics. Well it never happened! Little did I know giving birth is so not fun and by the end of it I looked a real big mess. Some women are just glowing after childbirth, I looked like death! I dont know when we will ttc again. We are still young and we want to go travelling and its easier with one bub I bet. Also DP and I both want to do uni degrees. I really dont know to be honest. It is nice to have siblings close in age. We (my sisters and I) are all close in age, and we have the best relationship.

Sherie - Oh no parking tickets are a pain. Imagine being a parking inspector...what a horrible job!

Cally - I'm glad you had a good time at the party. Its so different now that we are parents isnt it. Before Maddie we wouldnt think twice about drinking and staying out late. Now its all oh gosh better not have any more than 3 drinks, better leave by 9pm. Hehe its all fun though isnt it and i'm sure you and DH agree that we wouldnt change it for the world.

Hayley - Hehe you are so cute. I've left Maddie with mum before and even though you know that they know exactly what to do, its so scary! Its taken me awhile but i'm even comfy leaving her with my 17 yr old sister who absolutely adores her. I hope you had an excellent night out.

Well sounds like everyone is having christmas work do's! I've got DP's next sat night, then mine the following sat. Having an outfit crisis. Went to the shops today and there are some absolutely beautiful dresses out atm. However most of them are $200 plus!! Rip off. No wonder Australias credit card debt is so high! Also i decided to get creative today. I went to a craft store and bought non toxic finger paint, brushes and small canvas'. I am going to make prints of Maddies hands & feet. I'll post pics once I've done them.

Yesterday afternoon I thought being friday I'd walk up to the local liquorland and get some drinks for when DP got home. As soon as I got there Maddie started crying and I realised oh no I fed her 3 & a 1/2 hrs earlier, she's hungry!! And of course we all know when they are hungry, they wont stop crying until they get what they want. So here I was in liquorland, hysterical baby on one hip, pram in the other hand and stuggling to get my card out to pay, when a very nice man came up and paid for my drinks! I think he felt sorry for me!

Hey everyone,

I am so bored at home on my lonesome . I just talked my dads ear off on the phone for an hour though so that killed some time. I should probably go to bed but dont want to. Its going to be hours before DH is home and who knows what state he will be in.

Hayley I have been caught out at the shops like that to, it sux. That was very nice of the man to pay for your drinks though.

Sherie sounds like you had a good day out shopping, bar the parking ticket. I have not yet had a parking ticket- touch wood. Wow lucky you getting your pic in the paper.

Cally i hope you get a good nights sleep tonight, well as good as you can with a baby lol. Glad you had a good time at the party though.

Has anyone started using nappies besides Huggies brand? I bought a pack of the Woolworths one which are currently on special and they are going great so far, they only come in a pack of 30 though I think.

Hi Katie. I still use huggies ones. Over the years I have tried different brands, but I just prefer the huggies. I did buy a Pea Pod MCN the other day and it will be great for night times when he is weeing a bit more kwim? His nappy is very full in the mornings.

Hayley, I have BTDT with a hungry baby out in public. I need to do Alisters hands and feet too. I did the other three at 3mths old because their hands opened up better then and I got a better print than when they were younger.

Cally, glad you had a good time, even if you did have to leave early. These days if we are going out to friends for a BBQ or something, I always put the kids sleeping bags in so at least they can go to sleep if they get tired, but we had to leave early sometimes too if they were over tired.

Pregpan, it's hard to know when the time is *right* to have another baby until you get there kwim? We always had the plan of waiting until they were TT before we had another one, but I was clucky again by the time Lindsay was 6mths, but we waited another few months and I was 8wks pg by his first birthday. Same again with Erin, I was pg again by her first birthday and it worked so well for us. I hope you are having a great time in Melbourne.

Marydean, how are the 'girls' today? You have had such a terrible run with infections you poor chook.

We had DH's work christmas party last night and they put on a great night - there was nothing they didn't think of. They always have a family-orientated party too so we could take the kids. They had facepainting, 2 jumping castles (one for big kids and one for littlies), a ferris wheel and 2 merry-go-rounds. Plus they had fairy floss and snow cones for the kids and even the Santa gifts they got were great too. Ten for the adults they had a band playing in a different area near the bar, but it was all outdoors on a golf course so you could be in the bar area if you wanted and stil be close to the kids area kwim? Possibly a bit OTT and extravagant, but so many families were still there when we left at 9.30 so it was a real winner because people weren't leaving because their kids were bored and cranky.

Sherie - Your DH's work party sounded like it was heaps of fun. Isnt it nice that they even take the kids into consideration.

Katie - I've been buying the big boxes of snugglers for during the day. Obviously they arent as absorbant as huggies, but I find them to be pretty decent. And besides you are changing their nappy more often during the day. She's been on huggies at night and snugglers during the day for the past couple of wks, and so far no problems! Was worried a rash might develop. I've also stopped using powder as recommended by people here and am now using a barrier cream. I dont really like cream though because it is harder to apply I think and messy. I tend to smother it on thick, but are you meant to rub it in so you cant see it? Anyone know?

Sherie, your DH work party sounds cool, nice of them to cater to families.

Renee, Will is the opposite of Rory in the head holding department, he is really good when sitting up and in the Bumbo but can't hold it high for long when on his tummy. He is getting better since I started tummy time though.

Katie, I use baby love. I prefer them to Huggies. I bought some Snugglers and every 2nd or 3rd one leaked. I was really annoyed at having to change his clothes and bedding all the time so I chucked out half the packet. I so won't be buying them again.

Hayley, I don't rub it right in so you can't see it, but just a good covering does the trick. I don't use anything at all unless they do have a nappy rash.

Arte, I didn't like the snugglers for that reason too. They just never seemed to fit my older kids properly and I tried both types they have brought out.

Hey guys I just quickly jumped online to let you know I uploaded the pics of Rory's hand & foot casting. I LOVE it so much It was a little expensive and I thought about not getting it done but im so glad I did now. It looks beautiful and im so excited!!!!

Sherie - Did you find it hard having your bubs so close in age? If I am pg I cant get my head around the fact that I will have 2 under the age of 1. Ive been crying every evening when I watch sex & the city, eating us out of house & home and im sooo bloody tired. Im sure Im just super paranoid but I cant help wondering what if. GOD someone slap me!
    Last edited by reneenay; December 9th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.

Hi everyone ~

Missed heaps of the other thread and the net is being nuts today so i will have to catch up later, I hopw you all had a fantastic time at your parties Our night out was a complete disaster.

My niece named her Bratz doll after me because we look alike... Not so proud of that now! lol

MD ~ I hope your mastitis is getting better, It must be so painful

Hayley ~ DF's chrissie party is on the 22nd and i'm already dreading what i will wear, the invitation is 'champagne semi-formal'... whatever the hell that means!?!
    How nice of that man to pay for your drinks! I also just layer the cream on really thick... I thought you were supposed to.

Katie ~ I STILL haven't tried another brand, I keep picking others up to buy them but i always end up with the huggies.

Sherie ~ Sounds like it was a fantastic party!

Renee ~ the casting's are beautiful - I have been putting off getting Scarlet's donw but i definately will now!

Not such a good night last night. Tried putting her down at 9, again at 9:30, DH took over and finally settled her at 10:30 - then she was up again at 2:45 and 5:30!! And it took me an hour to get back to sleep after the 2:45 feed. DH took her for a walk this morning and out for breakfast while I tried to get to sleep, but it still took me an hour to drop off again so I only ended up getting 45 minutes. I really hope it's a 2 day growth spurt and she drops one of the feeds tonight!

Hayley - I only use the cream if her bottom is looking a bit red. I tend to slather it on fairly thickly because it doesn't rub in very well. Johnson and Johnson have a cornstarch powder that I think is better than the talcum powder too.

Sherie - that's a great Christmas party, how nice of DH's work to do all that for the kiddies.

We use cloth nappies during the day and then Huggies when we go out and at nighttime. Haven't tried any of the other brands, all my friends only use the Huggies so we have stuck with them.

Sherie - bad luck about the parking ticket. I'm the queen of parking tickets because I refuse to believe those parking rules that apply to everyone else also apply to me. Unfortunately my lil bright yellow car stands out like a beacon to those inspectors LOL.

Hayley - Random act of kindness! He must've thought you reeeeeeeally needed a drink ! I use Amolin cream and just sort of smear it around - just to save time really.

Sherie - great work party! My work puts on a similar thing, it's a daytime event, but I didn't get tickets this year as it would've taken extra organising as my work's over the other side of town and I've only been in there once. H will have plenty of christmassy fun this year anyway as her Nan and Poppy will be here.

Katie, I've been using Snugglers (when they're on special) and the Aldi ones which are v.good. Bargain too because you still get the same number in the packet for the same price even as they get bigger. Haven't had anymore Huggies as they're a bit dear. Will probably buy them when we move up to the next box size but only when they're on extra cheap special - for nighttime use.

Renee, stop stressing and go to the dr and ask for a blood test. Otherwise it will be playing on your mind (with all sorts of symptoms, real or imagined) for weeks. xxx BTW I'm pretty sure you only have to use another contraceptive method for 7 days after you start the minipill, if that helps set your mind at ease....

LP - Sorry your night out was a disaster. We had dinner "at the club" the other night (completely novelty to us, we've never joined a club before) and Miss E was grizzling and fretting the entire time until she fell asleep literally as we were wheeling the pram towards the exit (!) Don't let it stop you from organising another night out soon, it will be completely different next time.

GHDs - Well it looks like it's going to be CHD all the way here - DD1 had a big D&M yesterday about how she wants to be able to do things with her hair - I won't let her grow it any longer as there as it's really thick and she doesn't wear it up and I end up with a scarecrow daughter. So the CHD is a good tool to introduce some new grooming skills & a bit of variety I think.

Mastitis - feeling better - didn't get too bad - mostly because I started the ABs so early.

Queenie - I missed your post the other night just before I logged off. Hope all's well and S is giving you some sleep...let us know how you're going!

Big to all our other thread dearies who are reading but not posting! xx

ETA - Cally I hope you get some decent sleep tonight!
    Last edited by AnyDream; December 9th, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Renee - The castings are so nice, definately worth the money I say. Its something you will keep forever. Did you provide the photo or did they take it? Just go to the doc tomorrow for the blood test to ease your mind.

Sherie - Maybe I will do the same and only use cream if she is looking a bit rashy. My mum told me I didnt need to use it every single change, but I didnt listen hehe.

Hayley - Why was your night a disaster? Was Scarlet being fussy? I had a nightmare night out a few nights ago with a very sleepy Maddie.

Cally - Your DH sounds wonderful! Hope you have a nice nights sleep tonight.

Marydean - Do you have leakage probs with snugglers? I'm surprised alot of us are saying that they leak, I havent had any probs? I'm sure your daughter would love the 'CHD' hehe they love grooming themselves at that age.

Hi! hope everyone is having a lovely lazy Sunday. Am trying to multitask w a baby one one boob while typing l-handed...
    MD tx 4 asking, she *seems* to be better but still get some painful screaming post-feed. NFI if i am feeding her enough as she usu only has one boob per feed & that gets chugged in 10-15 mins, then wrestles with my boob but doesn't suck properly, but she seems quite ok and last wk weighed 7-800g over birth weight. the screams seem quite harsh and painy kwim? occasionally she gets the 2nd side too but quite often just falls aslep. hang on- she is just getting the 2nd side now, but 1st side still seems to have some when i squeeze even though it feels... um... floppy & empty! Can you o BF gurus explain this?? should i express it????
    hayley (? was it you?) i love the canvas prints idea - i had been thinking about doing something simiolar but was unsure what paint to use that wd be safe, thanks! we have my footprintss from when i was a baby too.
    renee those casts sound gorgeous - will have to check out your pics!
    we have been using huggies bnut are about to move to semi-recycled fancy schmancy enviro(ish) sposies - there is a great shop in Kew called the nappy shop and thry home deliver. About to try "bambo" brand which are sadly more $ than huggies. My friend used them and reckons she noticed fewer blowouts than huggies. Another mate uses 7th generation and is really happy with thm but are more $. Also have some "nature babycare" we got from safeway/coles which seem ok.
    for barrier cream we use bepanthen ointment -she got nappy rash and it killed it by 2 days. we smear it on not rub it in. have been given some weleda which is organic but notgame to stop a winni9ng formula LOL!
    she has really started to smile, gurgle and relate over the last few days. Today she was holding toys. Very strong neck & legs.
    pregpan - hope you're having a great time here! let me know next time u r down & maybe we can have a sept buddies catchup! afraid to admit i am about to eat a ham roll LOL. havew moved on from the urge to make latkes and am now dreaming of blintzes mmmm gurgle *homer simpson salivating sound*. carlisle or ackland sts here we come!
    my goodness Sherie that sounded like one awesome party!
    noni i am so pleased you went to the party. good on you. you are doing really well. xx

Hayley, the only leakage probs we had was we bought a box and she had a huge growth spurt so by the end of the box they were getting a bit smallish. No leakage otherwise, I used them with DD1 first time no probs either...

MD tx 4 asking, she *seems* to be better but still get some painful screaming post-feed. NFI if i am feeding her enough as she usu only has one boob per feed & that gets chugged in 10-15 mins, then wrestles with my boob but doesn't suck properly, but she seems quite ok and last wk weighed 7-800g over birth weight. the screams seem quite harsh and painy kwim? occasionally she gets the 2nd side too but quite often just falls aslep. hang on- she is just getting the 2nd side now, but 1st side still seems to have some when i squeeze even though it feels... um... floppy & empty! Can you o BF gurus explain this?? should i express it????
    Queenie, that sounds v. similar to the way E feeds, I was worried at first as H always took aaaaaages to feed and wondered if E was not getting enough. Now, as soon as she starts playing, I take her off to burp. If she's still unsettled or or does her little breathy noises I'll top her up (same boob). If she's still fussing she finally (and only rarely) gets offered the 2nd boob. Sometimes there's still milk in BB#1 but I think she doesn't want to work hard to get it KWIM...much easier just to have it squirting in from a full BB! LOL. When E screams these days it's more windy, but if I've forgotten the Zantac she'll let me know about it too. Don't worry about expressing a nearly-empty BB unless you are having supply issues or you want to collect EBM.

ETA - also meant to say Queenie, in a couple more weeks your confidence in what you are doing will pick up, S will seem more settled and you'll start to notice more meaningful patterns in her behaviour. It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things instinctively. We all took a few weeks getting past our natural self-doubt and you will too!
    Last edited by AnyDream; December 9th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

well we are back from our 2nd family christmas doo lol.. with my mum and her husband... Asha got sooo many presents, a lamaze crinkly dress doll, a christmas teddy, 3 outfits, bibs, cot sheets, a few lotions and shampoo type things,a hi five dvd which she already loves lol, a bright starts rattle that lights up and laughs and the fisher price rainforest gym which i have to say i am pretty impressed with.. esp the way it packs down flat into its carry case because we have very limited space here... it was such a big day for her!! unwrapping presents and lots of cuddles and she went swimming for the first time lol my mum and her dh have a really big spa on their decking the ones that are more like a small pool she absolutely loved it but fell asleep straight afterwards lol... after that she was pretty over tired and we headed off home.. shes now just sleeping on and off in her bouncer coz i tried to put her in the cot but she cracked it lol shes been so over stimulated lol....
    its going to be interesting when we have family things 4 days in a row!!! any suggestions for keeping her calm???
    nappies - we are still wearing huggies and i have just bought a box of crawler for when the infant ones run out.. idk if my bub has a big bum or what lol she is stil in 000 clothes but the elastic on the infant nappies is starting to leave marks on her from where its getting tight..
    cream - i was using powder but stopped i have looked for the cornflower one but everywhere we go it seems to be sold out atm we are using this natural cream i got from pumpkin patch called botty balm, its got nice stuff in it like lavender and co coa butter and bees wax, its nice but she still gets little rashes every now and then she really does better with powder but i am scared to use it now!!
    well i ordered a copy of wonder weeks the other day so hopefully it will be here before christmas sometime!!!
    there was a huge storm here this avo with hail stones as big as base balls no joke!!! dps car windscrean is all smashed its terrible lots of houses and cars are damaged from the weather

Queenie - I'm using non toxic childrens finger paints. The lady in the craft shop said this is what to use when doing prints. I'm going to do a patch test on her foot though before I slather her hands and feet in it, just to make sure theres no reaction. Good on you for perservering with the BFing, looking back now I wish I'd have given it a better shot.

Noni - Wow lucky Asha! Sounds like she got some great pressies. I bought four boxes of the huggies crawlers when they were on special once. I hope she gets to use them all! That storm sounds terrible!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast