Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #47

just quickly- trill i have hardly had any lochia, haven't had any bleeding for weeks. no af. would retained product be giving me pain/headaches? maybe i should see ob

ange- i should've borrowed your monkey....oh well, mines not here yet

md-have you been reading the science of parenting?

G, if you do have any retained product it will be making you feel like you are if there is an infection. You might even need to ask for a scan just to make sure. I really hope it isn't that though. But yeah, give your OB a call as she might be better to talk to than a GP and rule that out first. It could just as likely be a bug too.

calling ob now. thanks xoxo

ob no help at all. couldn't see me till june, and even then the receptionist said 'oh the appointment is more to just see how you're going and talk about contraception'....wtf?...well, this is how i'm going- not good!!!! she should've said 'the appointment is for if you don't have any problems, if you do then we don't want to know about it!' ggrrrr
    anyway...going to gp tomorrow arvo and will ask for u/s referral i think- just to be sure.

gypsy- everytime i see your new name i hear borat in my head saying 'gypsy'. have you seen that movie? i love it. dh laughs so hard when we watch it.

morning all
    Rainy - what did OB say? hope you are ok.
    MD - wtg on the pinkies. hope there arent any left!
    I am thinking about a 'leash' too - to be honest the thought of them used to be the most atrocious things to me... but now that iam thinking of taking N and a newborn on, say, a flight... they become much more attractive for occasional use. my arms are only so long!! Arte - your story is beyond funny. i love it!! woof
    Well it turns out poor little N has hand, foot and mouth... fondly called HOOF in my house! poor little guy, no wonder he has been so unwell and miserable. gp is a bit concerned for me, and has called ob to discuss what i need to do... thankfully it isnt chicken pox which DH and i diagnosed last night and stressed majorly about all night! i wonder what we will do re creche as he is meant to start on mon (though may not be too bad by then i guess).

ETA - Rainy that is absolutely terible re the OB, totally unacceptable...

hi girls!

Rainy: hmmm that does sound a bit funky to me. although, i remember my lochia being around for a good 5-6 weeks (although it was always quite light...ie could always use a normal pad).
    cry at the GP if you need to. tends to get things done asap!

Arte: we had doozers of tantrums (still do occasionally). one went for an hour while we were doing the groceries. in the end i just had to ignore her completely and go on with my thing. i would 'check in' with her and say something simple that wouldnt require a 'yes' or 'no' (cause let's face it, she'd say no!! LOL!), instead i would say something general like...'hhhm chicken for dinner tonight', or 'i wonder when papa is coming home' (this one was also good for me LOL!). This way they want to listen but dont really have any fodder to feed the tanty with ITMS. if her tantrum became violent or completely ridiculous during this time (ie high squealing or flailing) then i would be really firm and use my stern voice and just keep it simple and say 'uh uh leila' looking directly at her. or a simple 'no'. as soon as i would say that i then look away and continue with my thing (pretty tricky to do, but i found it can work...).

Sherie: oooh i am so jealous that A likes to be held LOL! i wish....
    that is soo amazing that A and L have a connection there already. what a fine family you are raising girl!

Ange: how come Saskia is off to the osteo? argh i musta missed something there! (not unusual!

Well, hello GYPSY!!! love it! L used to smack alot too. and she also thought it was funny. soon stopped when we just popped her off our laps and said, 'no'. took consistency though. man she was loathe to stop that!

AFM: All good at the station. not much to report really. leila is gorgeous ATM. yesterday was DH's 'dad day' with Leila, and it was lovely coming home as he gets leila and the dog to wait for me at the front of the house and when they see me it's a massive race to get first cuddles! i just LOVE it! LOL! i love hearing her excited laugh when she sees me! although the barreling 50kg dog hurtling with her buckets of love towards me does fill me with suspension of whether she will stop in time LOL!

Clare - lol at the dog hurtling towards you!!

Gypsy (hopefully I get the hang of the new name soon) - DD is also going through a face slapping stage with me. The other night she was doing it, the first two times I said no, don't slap mummy, it hurts, then the third time I said it but also walked away. We then had cuddles and talked about it. She did again about 10 minutes later and I walked away again, for a little bit longer this time, then we redid cuddles etc. She was fine after that. When she went through her biting stage we did a similar thing, although reacted from the first bite. The most important thing for us is for DH to be on the same page - DD doesn't slap him, but he needs to ignore her when I am ignoring her, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Trill - so the meitai is good for a few more years? I had a look at them this morning but was concerned that they might not be worth it for this age group and weight.

Rainy - hope you get some answers from the GP tomorrow and if you get that referral you can get in quickly. My mum needed a D&C after having my sister to clean her out. Hopeless Ob receptionist! what's the point?

Arte - "I love the public declarations like 'William pick nose. Got boogers in there. Mum, get it out!'" PMSL at this, I can just imagine him yelling it out while walking around the shops!! Shall cut my feijoa open and eat it that way then. I assume when they are a bit soft they are ripe?

We haven't had big public tantrums. Don't think it's due to good parenting on our part though, it's more to the fact that we don't spend as much time with her because of fulltime working so we tend to do what she wants when we have time together!! If she wants to get out of the trolley in the supermarket we tend to let her because there are two of us there, we don't tend to tempt fate with just one of us (unless I have a supersized stash of nibbles in my bag!)

PAP - hope N gets better soon, poor little thing. Do they get Abs for HFM? I know what you mean about the leash used to be atrocious, DH had the same thought when he wasn't a dad and didn't have to worry about toddlers escaping and running across busy roads etc!! He's changed his mind too. I like the idea that you can hold something else as well as the leash if you need too, if you are holding hands you just can't do that. When I was little I asked my mum for one when my sister came along (I would have been almost 3)

cally- i was going to say on fb that katie looks like such a katie i reckon- like her name really really suits her iykwim? she's a pretty little cherub isn't she?

ahhhh my dad has taken lewis out for a walk so i can have a small break from him. he's just mad atm, so destructive, he reminds me of a labrador puppy. nothing is safe from him. i'm actually considering putting him in occasional care for 3hrs one morning a week. it costs $20- am just waiting for the lady to call me back...it's a bit scary though thinking of leaving him with someone when we've never done it before iykwim? what do you guys think? would he enjoy it? or would it just cause unecessary stress when i'm home anyway?

clare- what is your tactic for auction bidding on sat? come in at the last minute ebay style? is dh going to bid or you?

Rainy: i had to giggle as i always felt bad comparing my DD to a lab puppy, but considering that i have a lab and a toddler i can confirm that the two are similar LOL!

hmmm, bidding strategies...hhmmm. i think i will open it up. then the next bid will be beyond our maximum so then i'll go and have a latte at the nearby shops LOL!
    no, in fact i am not sure whether to go hard and fast, or just come in at the last minute. problem with the latter is that no doubt we just dont have the competitive edge as this house will go for a price very close (if not over our maximum). so have to play it safe..

go the occasional care!!!!! just my humble opinion of course! my friend has two boys and yeah for similar 'lab puppy destructiveness' she popped her son into care for one day a week (now it is 2-3 as he is 4 years old now). at first the boy only went for a couple of hours to just get him settled and now he goes for 5.5 hours...work wonders supposedly...

Cally: i think we need your biting-stoppage tips. Kindy told us the other day that Leila is biting this girl (the same one everytime). it is not hurting or even leaving marks, but i am concerned that she is even doing it as she has NEVER done it to us or to any of the kids we see and play with...perplexing.

Rainy got to agree with Trill about the retained placenta...it did cross my mind very briefly yesterday but I was hoping you'd be able to get into yr doctor asap for them to check it out. Try not to fret. You could try ringing back to OB and ask for the OB to ring your him/herself!! Sort of dramatise a bit and use words like symptoms retained placenta infection serious worried - when u are talking to the receptionist. Insist on the ob ringing you. The receptionists are trained to stonewall patients but there is always a chink that you can get thru. xxx

ETA - how come you asked about The Science of Parenting???

ETAx2 - I've been PMSL everytime I read Gypsy too cos I saw Borat on Sat night and I keep thinking of that scene when they're on the front lawn and he's asking the lady if she's used her gypsy magic to shrink the owners of the house! I thought i posted about this yesty but it must've got munched LOL.

yeah i have a feeling there is some sort of infection going on- would definitely explain the abdominal pain and headaches. i think i'm just gonna bypass the ob all together, seems like more trouble than it's worth iykwim? basically she implied that they would deal with me after the gp had seen with me- so i'll just use him as the starting point and go from there. should i be asking the gp for an u/s referral?- i know this is not a flu/bug/gastro type thing- to me it feels like a uti, itms?

clare- i really hope you get it. has the agent given any indication of the price they're expecting? is it below your upperlimit? they're all sharks anyway i guess, so prob way underquoting.
    lewis is totally a chocolate brown labrador puppy- completely destructive. yesterday he poured 5 litres of motor oil over the driveway...

Hmm not too sure that I am liking my new nickname, should I just go back to MM?

Rainy - Well I am not impressed by that, considering you pay top dollar for having a baby in the private health system, & they fob you off like that. Something sounds suss with your health atm, especially with the abdominal pain & aches, definately go down & see your local doc at least. Or like MD has said put the pressure on your OB's receptionist, maybe she doesnt realise how worried you are. Go for the occassional care for sure, he will love it & so will you!

MD - Only read your thread in the general health & wellbeing section today, sooooo happy for you, but sad for you at the same time, you know what I mean.

Clare - I wonder why she is biting this one particular girl? Maybe the little girl does it to L & they have turned it into a 'game'? I dont know just an idea.

PAP - Oh no poor N. What are the symptoms of 'hoof'? So it may affect your unborn child?

Cally - Thanks for the slapping tips. I will have a word with DH tonight so we are on the same page, as she does it to the both of us.

Trill - Thats so cute that A Follows L. How old is L? He is good to be helping dad around the house! Maybe one day he will take over the family farm!

I am liking MD's timeout idea, had forgotten about it. Might have to start using it.

Where is Oz?

(*In borat voice* LOL) What's wrong gypsy, isn't your gypsy magic working today? PMSL'

Naaaah only kidding, I *LOVE* your username. Puhlease don't change it.

hi all
    Gypsy - dont chg your name... we will all get used to it!
    MD - how you going today?
    Cally - the tips are good... N does a bit of biting (only of me) so i may have to try them out.. also the time out though I may need some training on the right ways to do that
    I agree wrt having you and DH on the same page... nothjing worse than being strict and the other one gives in...
    Rainy - def go to the gp. i am shocked by the ob - agree with md i'd ham it up for the receptionist... say retained placenta, infection etc - they wouldnt want the liability of missing that (duid they show you the full placenta after you gave birth?)
    I would say as well go for the occ care, sounds like a good way to have alittle time out - though with J. I am not sure how Occ care works, will it be a set day/time each week? IMO it may be easier for him if he goes 2 times per week or something - but i am sure he will enjoy it and it will be good for him and you too..
    Spoke to OB and GP and there isnt much i can do re the hand foot and mouth, ob isnt too worried. he said call him if it does develop but it is not v likely and also he hasnt ever seen anything terrible eventuating out of it. I am hoping we are nearly at the tail end of it for N as well. he is meant to start creche on monday - obv i cant take him for the pre visits i wanted to do todaya nd tomorrow but i will stay with him and do a short day on mon/tue. i am thinking he will be ok to go by then (i hope so). the antibiotics are for his throat which is infected the dr thinks. Dh has been so good through this all... Gypsy - symptoms of the hoof are fever, aches, sometimes like a cold and then a rash on hands, feet, in mouth/tongue and also around nappy/genitals. he has a V bad rash the poor little thing. it hurts them to swallow - so app some kids really go off their food. N is drinking and eating relatively ok - though not the masses he usually takes down.
    Clare - wuill be thinking of you on sat. i hope you get it.

LOL thanks MD!!

Hmm Rainy I'm worrying now I hope you've got in to see someone

PAP - Yuck, horrible symtoms. I hope he gets over it quickly. Is it something he picked up at daycare?

PP Poor little N with the Hoof disease (great name BTW). You know he's never going to be as ill as he was first winter in CC so I reckon you'll be surprised at how well he fares illness wise this year. How long will he be excluded from creche (is it after the rash is gone)?

Rainy I also think the occasional care is a great idea...but I fear both you and he might enjoy it a little *too* much and end up booking a second day each week .

Clare - oh dear on the biting, bit hard when you're not even there when it happens, kwim? All you can do is nip it in the bud when you do see it and leave it to the staff to deal with it. Find out what their strategy is tho and make sure they are on the same page with you about it.

CAlly sorry but I think it's hilarious that K is selective with her face-slapping! LOL Sounds like you're spot-on with dealing with it. I think you're absolutely right about avoiding tantrums by selecting when/what you want to enforce. It's really important to pick your battles with toddlers. A lot of stuff that's not really important just needs to be let slide, kwim? (source of parenting conflict in this house as I let both girls get away with stuff that DH has fits over LOL).

Ooops better go. NOt sure but I think I'm supposed to collect DD1 from school. Better go up and find out if she's waiting I spose. LOL

G, that's crap she wont see you. If you feel like you are getting worse, just go to A&E OK? if that's what it is, even if it is a UTI, you really want to be on abs asap for it.

The mei tei can have a toddler body on it so it is a bit longer to suit a toddler/older child.

H, please don't change your username, it's really pretty and exotic.

Ummm, what else? (am posting quick befoer I gets kids in the bath lol) Oh, Lindsay is 8. Funniest thing happened today on the way into town. lady gaga came on with poker face and alister started singing 'po po po po poker face' man it made me laugh.

Hey rainy, you don't have diabetes do you??? I agree with phoning back the receptionist, drop all those words, half their job is fielding calls and filtering though them. You need her to understand there is a problem you are worried about.

So tired, not much else to add....

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast