Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #47

Arte - Happy Birthday!!

PAP - welcome back. Hope N gets over his little bug soon, not good at the start of winter. K has a cold at the moment, but she's given it to DH and I. Last night I had to have some icecream for my sore throat, so painful!

Leanne - PMSL at your brother!!

Clare - will have everything crossed for you on Saturday - what time is it (might not be able to keep my legs crossed all day!!!)

Where's my post?

ETA - Ah, ha!! I knew I'd posted!!

Arte (or anyone else) - I just walked into the fruit shop and they had feijoas for 99c a kg. I bought 3. How do I know when they are ripe and how do I eat them?

PAP, welcome back. Bummer about the first of the season bug, hopefully he will be able to fight off the rest of the winter nasties

Cally, double bummer when they give the bug to you!

MD, if they still used video tapes it would be worn through by now, thinking of making a copy of the dvd just in case though lol What is the Harvey Karp book?

MM, wow, what cheap tickets! I am so envious!

Well, the birthday isn't going so well so far. W had a massive public tantrum and I ended up in tears (luckily made it to the car so the other mums didn't see), then got home and the cat had puked all through the hallway and my cell phone appears to be dying, it keeps freezing up when I try to look at my messages.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with these tantrums?? I don't know what to do, he was so well behaved until two weeks ago. They are not out of being upset or frustrated, every single time they are because he wants me to do something and I won't give in. He tugs and grabs at me and cries for ages, so far an hour is our record. Today as soon as we got to music he wanted to leave and wouldn't do anything other than cry and pull at me. There is no distracting him when he gets started. In the end the only thing that stopped him was that it was time for biscuits when the class finished, but he wouldn't sit on the mat to eat it so I took it off him which led to another tantrum. Every time I sit down to eat/try to talk to someone he NEEDS me to play with him and starts up again. Someone please please tell me this is a passing thing, the thought of dealing with this for the next 2 years is too much!

Hi Girls,

Art- Happy Birthday Hope you have
    awesome afternoon and night

Sorry to hear about W tantrums I think is just a stage. For me what I do when my kiddies chuck a tanty is just igore it and if we are at home I send them to there room and tell them to come out when they get over it. Hope your day gets better
    MD- Woo hoo on the Krud money still waiting on mine.
    Pap- Welcome back and hope N gets well soon poor bubba.

HAPPY BDAY ARTE!!!!!!!!! i hope the day gets better for you my dear!!
    I dont know what to say re the tantys - W and N sound quite similar and i am also finding them hard to deal with - balance b/n giving in and just waiting it out. he hasnt done it for an hour yet but it is exhausting and it is usually bc he wants ME to do what HE is doing LOL! his facecrunmples and he cries and cries. i think i have to learn to ignore it, bc i am at risk of creating a nightmare child!!
    MD - well N hasnt had a pinkie for a while but i just bought myself one... i am doing more than my fair share!!! let me know how the book is. i heard good things about his baby book - the happiest baby on the block... but i am thinking i am going to need some toddlerhood help.
    Cally re the feijoas - you can just cut them in half (lenghtwise) and eat with a teaspoon. yum. i will have to look out for some myself.

Sorry Cally, missed your post. Yip, just cut it in half and eat it with a spoon. I cut across, not lengthwise lol

Yum, I just planted 3 feijoa trees, hopefully I will have some to eat next year

oops sorry Arte! didnt realise it was your special day!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!!!

PAP, I have been searching for any advice on how to deal with these 'control tantrums', and everything I can find says to ignore (emotional distance) until they calm down enough to have a cuddle or play again. I usually offer an out every few minutes like playing with car keys (a favourite thing) or if he is tired I offer a milo so when he is ready to end the tanty he can say yes to the offer and then he calms down while I am getting it.
    Please please don't feel like N is attention seeking because you are away sometimes - I am with W 24/7 and he is fast becoming a tantrum master. Apparently wanting to control their enviroment is just a normal (albeit farking frustrating) step in their development.
    Does N know about the belly bub? Does he understand? W knows there is a baby in there - 'Baby come out! Two minutes!' lol, but I don't think he actually understands what a baby is LMAO. I am hoping like anything that these tanties have calmed down a bit before bub comes.
    How is N's talking now? W is stringing together several sentence now, people are always commenting on how much he talks. N is the only other bub I know of that jabbers as much. I love the public declarations like 'William pick nose. Got boogers in there. Mum, get it out!'

Clare, thanks for the birthday wishes. I can't remember if I wished you a happy birthday the other day or if I only replied in my mind! If I forgot, then a very Happy Birthday to you too, I hope the coming year is filled with some much needed good health for you! (and a bubba too)

Do you think that the sudden tanty attack could be because of a recent developmental leap? Now when I read his books I can leave out every 5th-6th word and W can fill it in - he must have a couple of dozen books memorised!

arte - you brought tears to my eyes as you really hit it on the head what i have been mother guilt thinking.. esp as N asked for me the whole time I was in Melb apparently and then ignored and rejected me when I got back. he wouldnt cuddle me all night and said 'No' when I came near him. and of course i wondered if the tantys were linked to all of this...
    N's talking and comprehension is similar though prob slightly less than W. Though he knows the words to every song i sing and turns back pages if i miss anything in a book.he is def working out about the baby, i have read him a book 'there's a house inside my mummy' recently which he knows what is going on and now seems to get it about the baby more. i think bc i am so preg looking now too. he also mentions when the baby kicks him when i am holding him. he also points out any baby crying and says 'baby waaa waa, dudle (cuddle) mummy' and now he has conversations on the phone... it is amazing!! he also knows what is so embarrasing like pointing out EVERY bum he sees in public and also showing people 'my mummy boobies'. boys!!

hi girls

pap-great to see you back
    arte-happy birthday! w talks so much, it's really amazing i reckon!
    leanne-your leash story is a crack-up
    clare-best of luck on sat

i have been feeling really unwell lately. went to the dr thinking it was a uti but the urine test came back normal. i just don't know what's wrong with me. i have the most shocking headaches, lower back pain, abdominal pain, no appetite and nausea . today i threw up and my whole body is aching. i can't get into the dr till next week. i'm freaking out that it's some sort of infection from the birth or aftermath from the epidural. i just haven't been right since the birth iykwim? any ideas anyone?

Arte, Harvey Karp is the lunatic genius paediatrition i was chatting about a few days ago...Happiest Toddler on the Block. Specifically, I'm interesting in seeing how he defuses tantrums LOL. I was OVERJOYED when I got to the library and it wasn't the book but the DVD waiting there for me! Can't wait to watch it. Will let u know what I think.xxx

Um yes the tanties - DD1 was very strong-minded and I remember her having these mega-tanties that would last a good 90 mins and peak three times during that time! I think a lot of it is frustration when they can understand a lot but not yet manipulate the world to be the way they want it. We used to do a time out spot when DD1 got really out of hand, so far Missy E hasn't had any "little nero" tantrums so we haven't done that with her yet.

PP soooo don't beat yourself up for being away - I've probably been a lot more absent from my kids' life over the last two weeks than anyone in this thread but guilt is a luxury that no mother can really afford to indulge in. Least of all me.

Generally though I have noticed that Miss E is getting a little possessive over me and what I do so I'm sure that contributes to some of the conflict around here. So I think there's probably a developmental thing going on around now.

PP you would be proud of me, I bought six pinkies AND a lady at BD today! LOL DD1's eyes popped clear out of her head when she got home and saw them all.

ETA I was just about to post a "where is Rainy" but then saw your post. hun on feeling crummy. Try not to freak out, you are going to the dr and they will be able to identify the problem and set you on the road to good health. If you're really worried, ring your GP and ask to go on their cancellation list and if the receptionist ask why tell them you are 'really worried about your health" and 'it's private' - and they might be able to squeeze you into one of the spare spots they keep. xxx

Rainy, that doesn't sound good at all! Try to get to the doc asap, even show up without an appointment looking sick and say you need to see someone urgently - they always bump appointment people if an urgent case comes in.

PAP, LMAO at N pointing out bums! W was looking at my boobs in the bath this morning and looked at me like I was mental when I told him that milk came out of there for the baby to drink - he only weaned a month ago and has absolutely no recollection of it! As for N rejecting you when you got back, I imagine it is his little way of trying to control his world - if it wasn't that it would be something else so try not to take any of it personally.

MD, please let me know if the vid is any good, we need help! It seems to be a common theme of possessive children about now. How does the time out spot work? I know that W won't stay anywhere, as soon as I walk away he is stuck to me yanking and pleading. How are you feeling now the news has had a couple of days to sink in?

Happy birthdya arte! I wish i had the answers to the tantrums, but i've nothing! i take a little comfort in the fact that most kids this age are doing it.

Rainy- have you had a temp at all? I agree get on the cancellation list if you are worried.

MD- I'd be interested to know what you think of the DVD too.

We got a leash/backpack the other day too. (A monkey rainy. and that was before i read you got a monkey. freaky.) Lulu HATES it. She loves the monkey as a toy but i tried it as a backpack/harness today and she lay on the ground in the carpark screaming until i let her hold the tail.
    Last edited by Junglemum; May 6th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Hi girls, I've had a change of name. Been thinking about doing it for awhile, with all my MIL *****ing lately. Doubt she would ever find it, but just to be on the safe side. Chose Gypsy as I am always so unsettled, always looking at new houses on realestate.com & always dreaming of travelling lol. Gypsy in a past life maybe?

Arte - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry you had a bit of a bad day. The tantrums are hard work arent they, I always feel myself going red in public wondering what people are thinking, how silly is that? Sometimes I've cried before too. I think we just have to ride them out.

PAP - Awww hun dont feel bad. I think you have a perfect mix with work & family life.

MD - What is this happiest toddler on the block? Might visit my library too, as my toddler is just being a little terror these days, gosh I'd love for her to be the happiest toddler on the block lol.

Ange - Yep had exactly the same problem with the backpack harness! Bummer!

Rainy - Thats no good, hope you get your health sorted soon! Did you get an appt?

Cally - We've all got colds in this house as well, here comes winter.

What can I do about M smacking us? She smacks us in the face, it hurts. Problem is she thinks its a game & she thinks its funny, when I tell her pls dont smack mummy it hurts she just laughs. Is this just a phase sort of thing? Feeling like I need to do something about it as she did it to a little girl (about 4) at the playground the other day & her grandma wasnt very happy about it.

Ok, well the time out spot was a designated area (in the hallway in our house) where child who is engaging in unacceptable/escalating behaviour is sent - one minute per year of their age. Like SuperNanny's naughty mat. When the time is up and they have sat there, they come out and say sorry. It's basically the action of last resort. You do all the reminding of preferred behaviour, warnings, physically removing them from the sticky situation, distraction, etc before hand. With tantrums, you need to pick if it's a distress tantrum in which case you need to stay with your child and hold them (commonly child is overtired, hungry, sick, or genuinely 'overdone' in some way and needs to be held while they thrash it out). But sometimes it's a little nero - ie attempt at dominating everything/everyone - that's when you do time out. In my experience the long tantrums are frequently the little neros, LOL.

Ange, we had to train E to wear the dogdog. We'd clip it on at home and make it a game, she could walk around holding the tail, H took her for walks around the back garden in it, etc. After about 10 days of playing with it at home she's now quite happy to have it on when we're out.

Arte I was LOLing that W has no recollection of having boobie. Missy E doesn't either. DD1 did tho, she would often pat my boobies the same way she did when feeding, check under my top for them, etc. this prolly lasted a good 6 months after she finished BFing! LOL

ETA - Gypsy(!!!) I would take her by the hand, get close to her and use your stern voice to tell her it's naughty. If she does it again, it's time to physically move her away from you so she's not in your space getting your attention after she's done it, kwim?

Ever wise MD. We might start using the hallway for timeout. Thanks.

Gypsy. i had to look twice, thought there was a new girl. Have you got the book toddler tactics? All this talk of tantrums reminded me i have it. Might go dig it out.

Arte- Hope the b'day ended up better than it started. W's talking is amazing! I was impressed with lulu saying "eh'o Sasa" translation (hello saskia)

Mum's here for the day. Taking Sassy to the osteo and going to relief centre in kinglake to sort out paperwork toddler free! See you all later.

Bugger! I posted yesterday and it didn't go through

Heya Ange! I hope the paper work stuff is straightforward for you. Do you feel like you are starting to get some semblance of normalcy back? LOL at Lu only wanting to hold the tail - maybe Mum should wear the backpack?

Oh G! THat's terrible you feel so crappy. I hope you're better today. It could be some retained product from the birth? How was your lochia and have you had an af at all? But definitely get it checked out, we don't want you getting really sick.

Arte, I have no idea what I can offer you to help hun. Some kids are just going to be a little more extreme in their normal development, I know that much. Erin was a lot like W is and the only think that would work was completely ignoring her (still does work ROFL). It eased by the time she was 2. But she was and is my most difficult child. Alisters issues are more about him finding his place in the family kwim? The girls love to antagonise him just for the fun of it, so a lot of what he does is reaction to that.

PP, awww hun, that would be hard for you to hear him say taht to you, but I don't think he's rejecting you at all, probably more that he is a bit more independent of you now kwim?

MD, So how many pinkies are left today?

Ohhhh Gypsy, I really like that. When any of the kids has done that, I always did the crocodile tears and made out I was upset that they hurt me and they realised that yeah, maybe smacking someone really does hurt and it's not funny.

What I posted yesterday was that I will have everything crossed for Clare at the auction on Saturday and hope she will be a home owner by the end of it.

We aren't having problems with the walking or anything, but then he doesn't really get to do much of it cause he's fine until you have to let him go to pay for something etc and then he buggers off. He is still happy to be in the stroller and he is happier to be held than to walk, so I use the pouch a lot, but it's getting too small now so I brought a babyhawk mei tei from Melbel so that will give us another few years. Plus I can wear him on my back with that one if I need to. When all of us are out it's easier to wear him than have to take the stroller, especially if we are going shopping etc.

Alisters thing atm is to follow Lindsay EVERYWHERE! He thinks the sun shines out of his bum and asks for him all the time when he's at school and he gets soooo excited when he comes home. It's really cute to see the way he completely adores him. And he copies what he does too. I worried that the age gap between them would mean that they weren't that close, but Lindsay is so good with him. And Lindsay is just growing up too fast now *sigh* DH taught him to weld the other day, so he's been helping weld fence posts after school and he gets the sheep in the yards on his own now. At least I still have the girls who love to play house with their dolls and colour in and do things little girls should do.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast