Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #5

Hayley - Rory has started doing the same thing at 3:00am most mornings. I put him down at 8:00/9:00pm after his first feed and he will wake at 3:00am but by the time I give him his dummy to go and make his bottle he is fast asleep. He will then sleep through to 5:00am for his next feed. Im sure if they were hungry they would continue to cry? Does that sound right? I have wondered if I am doing the right thing too.

OzStar - 1/2 hour to go!!!!!!!!!

MD, E's gorgeous!
    sherie, thanks for the activite tip...will give it a try. seeing as i've got max on the bb anyway, might as well try to give her as much breast milk as i can produce. have fun with the new car. still haven't bought one yet ourselves...after all the car window shopping...dp had to take the bus to work on monday since we needed the car to go to the lc appt (mil drove). since i'm not supposed to be driving for 4-6 weeks anyway, there really is no rush. i think he'll get pressured to buying one when i'm allowed to drive again and he'd have to take the bus regularly. although i don't mind scheduling car use as well.
    queenie, sounds like things are happening...although i wouldn't take what i say to the bank seeing as nothing happened for me. and in saying that, i think that you should keep active since we're supposed to keep active through the whole labour...walk around a lot.
    renee, good on you for working. and i think 3 calls isn't too much....i would've been on the phone more.
    thanks everyone for the encouragement on bfeeding. seeing the lc did help i think. my mil says the same thing...she thinks that she's given me reassurance which i needed...which i didn't even know i needed.
    cally, sorry, don't know about when the startle reflex ends....600 g gain in 3 weeks sound good.....
    anxiety attach coming up for me...mil leaves tomorrow...dp has to fly to townsville on sunday and back on monday for work....more than 24 hours home alone with max....YIKES!!!!
    good luck to all those on ww.
    katie, i've only just got rid of my shields as well....well sort of...after my visit with the lc when she mentioned that using the nipple shields reduces milk by about 20%, i've been feeding without the shields...BUT it did come out 2x today...got put on...and then removed before the feed. i fought the urge. as MD said, it's good to know that they're there when i need them. was actually considering not feeding off the left bb as that one is ALWAYS painful...specially so at the start...and just pumping but am giving it a go still.
    ella, i don't know how right or wrong it was, but when my nipples were sore from cracking from feeding, i went onto the nipple shields (which may have reduced my milk production...but allowed me to continue feeding)....am now weaning myself off it. don't know the pros and cons of you using the shields? maybe an experienced someone can advice you on this. oh, also used lansinoh after reading about it from someone on this thread.
    hayley, i'm the same with max...but this is usually early in the morning....have learned to ignore the whimper or sudden loud cry unless it goes longer....the times i've picked her up and tried to feed, it was just a waste of time coz' she fell asleep on the bb or just 10ml from the bottle.
    leanne, do you leave olivia's dummy on while she sleeps? didn't know whether i could or not.
    sorry if i missed anyone else's posts but am just sneaking in these few minutes to read and post.

Cally I think I remember reading somewhere the startle reflex fades somewhere after the 3 month mark.

I agree everyone, ignore the little noises unless there are signs that bubs is really waking up. DH surprised me by shooshing E back to sleep at one of the feed times the other night, I woke up feeling fabulously rested! Not likely all the time, she really hollers when she's hungry!

My son is definatly a Boob man, he smiles at me everytime he sees my boobs. Even if I am not about to feed him and am just getting dressed. Too cute!.

MD, E and H are both cuties!

Sherie, congrats on the car. I hope you get a good run in it before it is christened with baby puke and split drinks. I passed my GTT, so no diabetes for me but I am supposed to have yearly checks and also before I get preg again as it can cause deformities in the first tri. The drink wasn't even that bad. I couldn't even sip it without needing to vomit when I was pregnant.

Ozstar, LOL at the boob man. It is really cute when Will falls asleep during a feed and has a huge smile when he wakes up right next to boobs.

Cally, I am not sure when the startle reflex ends, but W is getting more control of where his hands are going now. He can't quite get his hand to go where he wants it, but he can hit his hanging toys with his arm to make them rattle. He made me laugh today when he was trying to get his fingers in his mouth but he kept missing and hitting himself in the face instead. He looked so serious.

Well, after the past week of getting up 4-5 times a night and having a grumpy wide awake baby all day I have realised that it has been all my own stupid fault. I had a sugar free day yesterday and today I have my sweet happy boy back. I knew it upset him but I have been thinking that just a bit won't hurt, then a bit more. Today he has had several good sleeps, has been feeding properly and all his reflux problems have stopped. I am so glad he is back to normal, I really missed him when he was sore and upset all day and didn't want to smile and play.

I went into my old work again today, everyone was cooing over him. Then we went for his belated 6 week checkup. He weighed in at 5.6kg, but she weighed him with his clothes and nappy on so I am not sure how much he really is. On the growth charts he is on the 75th percentile for height and weight, but his head circumference is only the 10th percentile. He seems to have my small head. I can't fit adult bike helmets - last time I tried to buy one all that would fit me was a kids Dorothy the Dinosaur one.

Renee - I figured the same thing, if they are really hungry they will let us know!!!

Is anyone having trouble with settling their baby down to sleep? Today I realised that I have been making a mistake with Madeline, rocking her to sleep in her bassinet! Now she is having trouble with getting herself off to sleep. Ahh dont know what to do! Is she too young to use controlled crying? Is controlled crying bad? I feel terrible leaving her to cry, but I dont want her to get into any bad habits that we will regret down the track.

JaZ, MD, Leemar, sherie and any others with older kids, did you go trick or treating last night? I don't agree with it on the basis of it being a fully commercial and imported holiday, but then again it is a really fun night for the kids. There were heaps of little cuties knocking on our door. Some had gone to a lot of effort, it is was quite cool.

Will slept for 7 hours last night!

Nope, no trick or treating here but I had the bag of Halloween lollies on hand and we had three hopefuls knock on the door about 5.30. So guess who gets to eat the rest of the lollies! Arte have you had any more luck getting the gaviscon into W or do you not need to now he is more settled?

Hayley, why is it a mistake to rock M to sleep...? We've got E in a boori cradle for that very reason - DD1 didn't really learn to settle herself down to sleep until she was older (around 6 months) and I wouldn't have dreamed of doing any form of controlled crying before well past that age (too little, they just need to know someone is near them to feel safe and secure). If the bassinette is a problem, you can try keeping her in a sling until she snoozes off. Or put her in her bed but instead of rocking, pat her firmly (the pats can get further and further apart - this works well) - also give wrapping a try at least until she's past the startle reflex age (over 3 mths). Feeding to sleep works well for BF babies - not sure about FF babies (ladies?) but a dummy can also help if she's a sucky baby...HTH and no you're not headed for sleep disaster! It's perfectly normal for babies to take longer to settle down at this age (& rewaking a few times before they hit that deep sleep. Apparently they do more REM sleep which helps protect them against SIDS and so it's a good thing.)

Katie, LOL about your little boob man! There's nothing quite like that look of sheer delight, is there!

Off to the drs today, I'm getting this horrible pain in my abdomen (feels similar to when it started getting infected again) - I think I've just strained something in there from all the coughing but better to get it checked out anyway. I'm gonna ask about purchasing some shares in their practice while I'm there too - I'd make a fortune based on my visits alone! LOL

Queenie - v.impressed with your undercoat sleight-of-hand. Once you baby arrives no one will be looking at the cupboard to see it needs another coat!

MD, hope your tummy pain is no more sinister than a pulled muscle. I haven't had to give W any more Gaviscon yesterday and so far he seems pretty settled today. I already miss biscuits. And milkshakes.

I have been wondering if it is normal for babies this age to chew? Will likes to sit up leaning against my hand on his chest and chew the side of my finger. Not so much chew as CHOMP. He really bites down hard, sometimes he clamps on and shakes his head from side to side (like a dog). Mum suggested he might have sore gums, and when I mentioned it to the doctor yesterday she said he might be teething. I can see two white bits on his lower gums where the teeth are going to come eventually. Do you think that is a sign of early teething or does he just like to chew things?

Arte sorry I have no idea about the teething. Logan likes to chew but not chomp down.

MD I hope everything goes well at the Dr's and that it isnt anything serious.

Hayley I ditto everything Marydean said about rocking bubbas to sleep. I rock Logan to sleep all the time. I think they are too little for controlled crying just yet. You aren't making a mistake with Madeline, you need to do what ever makes you both happy. Trust your own instincts and do what ever works for the two of you.

Well only an hour to go until I take Logan for his needles. I am not feeling worried or nervous, although I feel ike I should be- everyone keeps telling me how horrible it is. I bought some panadol yesterday incase we need it tonight and I asked the nurse a zillion questions.

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and say hi.
    My poor little chicken is sick She has a runny nose, watery eyes, a little cough and a temp. Am taking her to the doc soon- even though i know there is nothing thet can do, i just want him to check her over for my piece of mind. one of my kids always gets sick when dh goes away!!!
    sorry for no personals - i'm finding it so hard to find time to jump on the computer and i'm missing you guys

Hi Jaz, I noticed you hadn't been around for a couple of days. I hope Hannah isn't too uncomfortable and that she gets over it quickly (and that it doesn't spread to you or the other girls). Hope that your DH isn't away for too long, must be hard with the girls by yourself.

Big Jazmum, hang in there! Hope Hannah is feeling better very soon!

Dr said, nothing sinister but I have to suppress the cough cos you can do yourself some nasty damage if you're coughing too hard on top of a surgical wound(! the word hernia was even used!). Apparently codeine (plain and ordinary) is the very best thing for a cough suppressant & has the added bonus of helping with pain. Hope I don't get too high, although the ILs will be here this weekend so on 2nd thoughts it could be a good thing LOL!

Katie, be brave for Logan's needles...I'm sure it will be fine!

Arte E will chomp on my finger if I give it to her, she chomps for a bit then starts sucking. Not sure about early teething...

Hayley - They grow up so fast. Before you know it you wont be able to rock Madeline to sleep

Marydean - just had a look at your pics - E is just beautiful, as is your H
    I just went to copy the quote that you had in your sig (i'm trying to start a scrapbook for H) but it's gone!!!! Could you please tell me the name of the woman who you quoted? (that's if you don't mind)

Hi Jazmum, besides being one of my fave poets it was a bit of a cryptic clue cos we went on to have a lil Elisabeth of our own!

"You were made perfectly to be loved - and surely I have loved you, in the idea of you, my whole life long." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

She also wrote:
    "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach." Which is gorgeous!

Make sure you upload some pictures of your scrapbook pages!

Thanks girls, its good to know i'm doing the right thing with rocking her in the bassinet. I didnt realise that she's too young at the moment for controlled crying. Gosh its hard being a first time mum!! Last night before I read your responses I did let little Maddie have a cry, she cried for about 2mins, then calmed down. I checked 5 mins later and she was asleep. It was hard though. Then she slept from 11ish through to 6.30am. What a good girl!!

Marydean - Glad it turned out to be nothing serious.

Zozstar - Good luck with the needles. I'm sure you will both be fine.

Jaz - Hope little Hannah gets better soon.

Does anyone else have trouble with getting their DP to change nappies? Its really starting to P me off, had a little tiff last night (was feeling a bit off as it was with the whole controlled crying thing, and thinking I was doing the wrong thing) and told him lately I feel like i'm doing it all on my own. Whoops, I think something hit home though, because he has been calling me all day today to see everything is fine! Hehe i'm nasty!

Anyway we are going on an outing now, just to the galleria hehe, need to get out of the house!!

hi Hayley - my dh doesn't particularly like changing nappies - but will do so if i ask him.
    Marydean - thanks for those - they are beautiful. (by the way, it's great to be able to put a face to your name now!!) i hope you can get rid of the cough really quickly. Sounds a bit ouchy to me.
    Just got back from the docs - everything is fine - she just has a basic cold at the moment. He told me not to give her panadol at this age. (i have given her two doses already- cause she just seems miserable ) I have to take her back tomorrow afternoon so he can check her again, and he wants me to get a urine sample - how hard is that going to be!!)
    Renee - how are you coping with work? Was it hard to get back into the swing of things? Did they just leave everything for when you got back?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast