Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #7

hi fianne- like your ticker. how's your breastfeeding going now?? hope it's going better. it's very hardgoing at times...

gracie, was just googling and found this website "keepkidshealthy.com" and this article. thought i'd share it with you....need the reassurance myself as i've just spent the whole day carrying max...only time she was put down was when she needed nappy change.

"Disciplining Your Newborn
    You will not need to begin disciplining your child until he is older.
    At this age, you should quickly respond to your child's crying and try to figure out what he wants or needs. By the time your baby is two to three weeks old, you will begin to understand what his different cries mean and will know if he is in pain, hungry, tired, bored, uncomfortable, or just bored.

Until you are able to differentiate between the different types of cries, when your baby cries you should try and feed him, especially if has been at least an hour and a half since the last feeding. If he doesn't stop crying, then you will know he is not hungry. Next check for a dirty diaper or try burping him or just continue to hold him.

It is important to remember that you can not spoil a newborn baby or young infant. Quickly responding to his cries and holding him at this age will not result in spoiling him."

yah!! thanks fianne. i love it! so i'm not spoiling him- it's just hurting my arms! lol

hi gracie! still not very confident of my BFing capabilities. still feel like i'm not supplying her enough to fill her. but, as i said earlier, i've already decided to ease my mind by topping up with formula.
    not sure if ticker's working right as max is 1 mo and 3 days today and it didn't "tick" over. will know for sure tomorrow.

Does a dream feed mean that they dont really wake up that much? I usually wake Maddie at 11/12pm if she hasnt woken in the hope that a feed will keep her asleep till 5/6. It works, but the only bummer is once she is awake for the feed, she is wide awake and doesnt wanna go back to sleep! She finds any light that she can (and I only have one on miles away so that i can hopefully keep her as sleepy as poss) and will just focus on it, its actually really cute, even though I am always buggered and hanging to go to sleep myself!

Ozstar - I am the same, I dont offer info unless people ask. I dont mind talking to my mum about anything and everything because she supports us and is always offering helpful ideas. But when it comes to the MIL, I limit the info I tell her, because she always has something negative to say about how we are caring for Maddie. Its like she thinks I dont know what I'm doing. I am still definately learning and will be for awhile, but I think I'm handling motherhood rather well (and by the sounds of it so are you) and dont need her silly opinions. Anyway thats enough of my little rant..sorry! Get carried away when it comes to the MIL.

Gracie - Dont listen to what others have to say, you do what you think is best. Theres always going to be someone who wants to force their opinions on you. Co sleeping is so cute. We love getting little Maddie in bed with us in the morning for a cuddle, but I'm too scared to co sleep, DP is crazy in bed, he totally mangles his pillows and I often wake with him almost on top of me!!

Fianne - You are doing so well with BF, good on you! If in the end it doesnt work out for you, at least you know you gave it all you could.

Kristwoll - Welcome! Congrats on the newest addition to your family.

Pregpan - I keep saying to myself, right tonight I'm off to the gym, so far it hasnt happened. I've been walking though hehe. Do you do classes or use the machines? I used to love the cross trainers.

Leemar - Gosh you are brave working with the in laws!

Just when I was wondering when AF would arrive...I woke this morning and there she was! Far out, I had 9 months of bliss. I wasnt even prepared, I only had maternity surfboards in the bathroom. I think I was secretly hoping it wouldn't come back!

Well the weekend is here. Its going to be a hot one here in Perth. Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

fianne- i went through a stage where i didn't think i was giving lewis enough. it's hard cos you can't actually 'see' how much they're getting iykwim? whereas when i gave him a bottle of formula i could actually 'see' that he was getting 60mls or whatever. this started to do my head in a bit, but then a couple of weeks ago- after a couple of desperate posts on here to barb- i decided to just stop the formula all together and just chuck him on my boob as much as i possibly could. i've also been drinking aktivite every day and taking iron tablets. it has been working as he has put on 760grams in 2 weeks....so i guess i'm saying if you can perservere with the bfing then do it. i know it's really hard work but it's worth it if you can. if you feel you've exhausted all options though then keep the formula up- either way you are doing what's best for you and your baby.

hayley- my mil sounds like yours- highly critical and always knows best. we limit what we tell her too as we can't be bothered with her cr7p. you're right, co-sleeping is cute. i love it!! snuggling up with lewis is the best!!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and that your little bubs let you have a bit of a sleep in.

DH grandmother and a few aunts and uncles are in town for a holiday so we are going to visit them today. They haven't seen Will yet so that will be cool.

I have added a couple more photos to my gallery

Gracie, well I'm a library type, so I'd have to say go to the public library and borrow one there!! If they don't have them ask them to a) purchase it for the collection or b) get one in for you from another library. I've just finished reading "Parenting by heart" but there is another one about settling your baby which should be good too.

Hi Kirstwoll & welcome to the thread, do you hail from Wollongong by any chance? I have a dear friend who lives there...

Pregpan, a dream feed is when you pick the baby up and feed them while they're still half asleep just before you go to bed, I've never done it (can't stand the thought that the baby might wake up) but it's supposed to stretch them so they sleep longer before their first nighttime get up.

Noni, thanks for the tip, so far she's sucked it all down with a surprised look on her face, it's actually a pleasant minty flavour - not so sure why others thought it was bad???

Gracie, I would co-sleep in a flash if I wasn't such a heavy sleeper, you do what is right for you and pooh to everyone else!!!!

Pregpan, loooove the photos of Noah, just can't get over how much hair he's got, soooo gorgeous! And he has deep eyes too...Sorry to hear about your friends, make sure you have someone you can debrief to about your own feelings - it's important when you're supporting someone in a really heavy situation.

Fianne - not long before you will be out and about again, once you're driving suddenly the whole world opens up once more...hope you can keep yourself sane until then!

Well guess what, I've had some very exciting news: I am GOING TO UNIVERSITY next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the acceptance letter yesterday. It'll be distance ed so I can quite happily chug thru one unit at a time ad infinitum until it's done. Wooo hoooo! Also we went out for Chinese soup last night Jazmum, so it was later 9.00ish when E went to bed, and she slept right through until 5.00am (!!!) OMG how GOOD do I feel today!

ETA - Arte - loooove the smiley photos of William!
    Last edited by AnyDream; November 10th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Oooh Marydean, does this mean I will be seeing you in my neck of the woods next year? I am trying to work on Dh about a shopping trip to canberra by dropping subtle hints, but he's not taking the bait thus far LOL.

So-so day around here. washing, cleaning and mowing the lawns. Alister is asleep ATM but should wake soon for a feed. With the dream feed thing, It's something I've always done but didn't realise there was a name for it - I just thought it was me being anal about bubs having to have their normal amount of feeds in a day LOL.

Hi all, super quick post to say hi and am thinking of you all but not quite there with reading everyone's news! All is going OK here - Miss S (sorry MD: have borrowed your prefix!) is chugging along nicely, the boobenheimers resemble breasts again and not large melons, the stitches are healing (forgot to mention I had a 2nd degree tear - OMG what a sore bum!! Thanks for the tip on the lax/fibre Ella! You are a life (or bottom) saver ) and I am starting to feel less emotionally wrought now the milk is settling. Thanks a million fr all the support you guys.
    HAppy birthday SupaB & everyone else who's had one recently! (Was it you Gracie? Aaargghhh sorry)
    Thanks so much for your text MD: and congrats on the Uni!!!!! Well done my dear!
    Gotta run - will do personals later... maybe in a day or two!
    Have to run xxx

Queenie, - darl - absolutely no pressure with the personals, we're just happy to hear how you're doing! As a tear veteran myself I can highly recommend bathing with any type of bath salts you have - or even table salt or epsom salts if that's all you have. Glad you got your boobenheimers back! Glad Miss S is doing well, can't wait to see photos (when you're good and ready says MD who took 7 weeks to post hers LOL)!

Sherie - Will definitely be visiting next year ! Not sure of dates yet but will let you know...re Canberra, maybe "sell" how much cheaper things are in the "Big Smoke"...??? Pretty normal day here too, gotta help DD clear out her bedroom, it always ends in tears...(mine that is, she's agonisingly frustratingly SLOW at tidying).

Hey ladies just popped in to catch up with everyone. Loving all the new tickers btw, they look fantastic!

I have been sick with aches, fever and the runs So ive been feeling quite sorry for myself. Im really worried Rory is going to catch it. Not fun.

Will do a proper catch up when im feeling better. xoxox

LOL Marydean, I think I will try that approach I also think our daughters share a brain - Erin is sooo slow at cleaning her room and will use every delaying tactic under the sun to avoid doing it.

Renee, just make sure that you wash your hands really well etc and he should be fine. I managed to keep Alister away from the dreaded lurgy by making sure that my hands were always clean after dealing with the kids.

Renee, Sorry to hear you've been so unwell. Just become a hand-washing nazi, if you and DH wash your hands with soap every single time you touch Rory hopefully he won't get it. This is the reason most GPs don't get sick all the time - it's the hand washing. I hope Rory doesn't get it. xxx

Sherie - yep I'm kind of procrastinating re the room...gotta get in and make sure I find every single last bit of recalled toy-ness in there (she's got Bindeez and polly pocket stuff all over the place) *sigh*.

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I would quickly jump on. It is DH's birthday so I took him out to breakfast and am about to drop him down at the beauty shop for a massage, I am such a great wife lol.

Renne sorry to hear your sick, I hope you getter better real soon.

Queenie sounds like your doing really well, besides the sore bottom.

Arte your pics are adorable, he has such a gorgeous smile.

MD congrats getting into uni, what are you studying?

Hayley lol at the maternity surfboards.

Jazmum how are you doing?

Better run, back later.

Hi everyone
    I have been flat out lately. Am finding it very hard to find 'me' time at the moment.
    Am hoping to read through all previous posts and do some personals, but will have to be at a later date (Zoe is at me to play the computer!!)
    Hope you're all well
    talk to you soon

arte, love william's smiles!
    hmmm....guess i'm lucky in the MIL department. mine does not put her nose in my business....can see that she's holding her tongue and i appreciate it. and will only give suggestions when asked for.
    as for co-sleeping, i was wary of it and dp was the other way pre-birth but now i just love how max seems to sleep longer when she's in bed with us whereas dp would rather that she wasn't in bed with us now because he's afraid of rolling over her. in fact, he's woken up a couple of times in a panic and saying things like "where's her head?" when max is in her cot and not in bed with us. says that he can't sleep soundly when she's in our bed.
    gracie, how much akta-vite do you drink a day? the recipe said 1 glass in the morning and another couple (or was it 3 more?) through the day. also, i'm lactose intolerant so i've started doing it with lactose free milk. think this makes the mix less effective?
    MD congrats on getting into uni! talk about a new world opening up! uni's definitely a new world. am really looking forward to being mobile again. have rang up my local aba to find out when the next meeting is and where. will give that a go when i can. have also rang up rbwh's physio for the mother-baby classes...no spot available for december and need to ring in dec for jan...but have signed up for some other physio class for after the 6 week time frame...the classes aren't available to bubs under 6 weeks anyway.
    queenie, sorry about the sore bum. good to see you on here. i couldn't get myself organized enough to get back on to bb for a long while after max was born. so i'm an admirer of yours for being able to post at this stage and don't expect personals.
    renee, hope you're feeling better.
    i'm finding it a little easier to keep up with the posts now than in the pregnancy threads....since everyone's a bit busier with the little ones.
    went to big w to buy huggies and they only had newborn sized ones left! staff told me they went fast. was wanting to get some of the next size up ones as well as one of the newborn (think she'll be outgrowing the newborn after this box) but they didn't have any. walking around the mall, saw heaps of people walking out with boxes of huggies.
    i like weekends where dp can takes his turn at watching max and i am able to sit and finish a post in one go and not have to get up every 2 mins to attend to max.

Fianne, the next size up in Huggies is Infant & they don't come in a big box, but rather the half-size large plastic bags...the next size up after that (in the big box) is too big a step up. However, I buy the small Snugglers when they are on special at BigW for $25 and they fit quite well now and they're ok nappies too.

Jazmum, I've been hoping everything is ok at your end, do hope you get some "me" time when you need it.
    Re the MILs - mine's not game to say anything to me because I'm breastfeeding and she "couldn't" - however, she did say to me that she thinks my SIL didn't have enough milk on account of how frequently she was feeding her (then newborn) baby - You can bet I set her straight on that point!! Kind of nice actually cos she respects my expertise in this area...

Katie, I'm going to Uni so I can be a "real" librarian LOL - I'm a technician but doing a librarian's job - my library doesn't distinguish between the two (it's based on what skills you have) but there are libraries that pigeon-hole techs and it would drive me crazy seeing a sh*thouse librarian doing a crummy job that I could do better for want of a degree. Plus I've got the better part of half of the degree done already in prior credit !

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast