Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, April '05

Morning!!

Yup, I can say that fairly cheerfully cause we had another great nights sleep!!
    Poor Bas was out for most of the day yesterday, visiting and shopping, and he was wonderful until about 5pm when he threw a tanty in the local shopping centre! I was in the slowest checkout lane ever getting a few groceries while my Mum was doing laps aound the Ice Cream booth! But we got him home and fed... then went to visit Newkie & Co for tea! He was a bit grizzly when we first got there, but after we wrapped him and cuddled him for a bit he slept until I woke him for his bottle at about 10.45. We got him home an dinbed by 12, and he didn't wake up until 5.15, and only then because he'd managed to wriggle out of his wrap up to the very top of his bassinette. I brought him into bed with us and we all slept until 7.30!! Needless to say, we're both very happy about 2 great nights in a row

Right... that's US done, how's everyone else doing?

Sarah... poor Zander missing out on his sleeps I hope he wasn't too much trouble last night for you. I hope everyone at the nail place was suitable impressed with him though

Trish...I hope your boys have had a nice rest and are feeling a bit better today. Hopefully Brandon isn't sick, so that way no one else will get sick either.

Deb... don't you hate it when people get your baby's name wrong! It's only happened a couple of times with us, and mostly in the spelling (once when his photo was in the newspaper!! Spewing!), but it's a pain.

Ugh at the poo in the face, Tegan!! On your hands is one thing... but on your face!!

Tanya...how's Violet doing?

Debbie Lee Guest

Sarah - that's no good that Zander didn't get much sleep yesterday. It's a pity he can't sleep through the noise. Gabby is like Tehya - will sleep through anything. It's good because it means I don't have to tip-toe around the house (which they say you should never do n e way). Only thing is, there has to be some sort of noise for her to sleep. She is the opposite - she won't sleep with complete silence, LOL. Thanks for the compliment about the photo of Erin and Gabby. Erin is the youngest of the 4 of us and is a complete stunner. I always say that Mum and Dad kept improving with each daughter. I was the dry-run and the other three just kept getting better looking, LOL.

Trish - it's good that Tehya is a good sleeper for you. I guess it's part and parcel of being the youngest - they kinda have to put up with a hell of a lot more noise. How is Noah going with it all? Is he jealous of Tehya?

Tegan - isn't it funny when people stuff up the spelling and don't go the easiest option first?? Neil always gets his name spelt wrong. Niel (which is kind of understandable because of the "i" before "e" rule so you can forgive people that one), Neill, Neal. People even spell Morris as "Morriss". Since when do you put 2 "s" on the end?? LOL

Zola - it sounds like Bas has got the sleeping thing down pat! How good for you guys to get some decent sleep! LOL @ your Mum doing laps around the icecream booth while Bas cracked the poos. The things we do, hey??

Well, Gabby survived her first party last night. We had Lauren's BF's 21st at a footy club. Thankfully they made it a smoke-free venue just last week!! Anyway, I expressed another 60ml bottle to feed her while we were there because I am still not up for whipping my boob out in public. She did really well. It was a really warm night too. She got a bit grizzly around 9pm so I gave her the bottle which she absolutely scoffed down. I don't think 60ml is enough for her anymore. It got to about 11pm after the speeches etc. and I was starting to feel pretty tired and ordinary so we came home. I gave her a bottle which she scoffed again and zonked straight away. I thought that because it was midnight, I would have until 6am before she woke because she normally gets 6 hours out of the bottle. Not so! She woke at 3:30am, 6:30am and 9:30am. Excluding the time it took to feed her each time, she only slept for 2 hours at a time. Urrgh! So I might up the amount of formula I give her. It's only a day early until she is 2 weeks old n e way. I expressed 80mls last night so I guess that is another indication that she requires more.

Today is going to be a lazy day I think! Gonna keep the mobile close by in case something happens with Fi [-o< [-o<

Deb just thought I'd mention that they do have a growth spurt at around 10-14 days so maybe thats what she's doing? So they feed up more to increase the milk supply and once its up then they settle down, it usually takes a few days HTH!

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Christy, I thought it might be something like that causing her to wake up so often.

Sarah - thanks for the compliment on the ticker too. When I saw that I could get a bumble bee I changed it once again! LOL I think I am happy now

Hey guys!

We are getting the same thing with spelling of Zander's name as well - we have to tell everyone it's Alex-Z-ander. Very frustrating, but that's what we wanted!!

It's funny, usually Zander is better with noise - like right now someone is mowing & I have the back door open, the TV is on in here & Aaron is playing some racing game in the other room & he's sleeping through it. I think he was just waaay too tired to sleep yesterday afternoon or something.

Hope Brandon is feeling better today Trish.

Sounds like Bas has really got things worked out in the sleep department now Zola, well done!

So was Gabby the life of the party Deb?? Sounds like the expressing is going really well for you two.

As for us, we are still struggling on the sleep front - took me 1hr 45mins last night to get him to sleep which meant I was up until after 1am. At 5am he wasn't so bad, but now this morning it took us a long time to get him off again. Our hammock arrives on Tuesday so hopefully that will help - he seems to fall asleep with movement....

Anyways, I just wanted to let you guys know that I will be a bit scarce this week. We are going to try really hard to get this routine thing happening cos Aaron has to go back to work next week. I really need to spend the time with just the three of us to get things sorted out.

Still love you guys, just need some time for us IYKWIM. Please don't forget me though when Fi & Kayla have their bubs.....

Hi Girls,

Deb, when I was making Tehya's ticker I saw the bumble bee and thought of you straight away. Noah is going good with Tehya, I think that he does get jealous at times but he is also very protective, sometimes he won't let the other boys near her at all. Doesn't like to share his Dad with her much though. Sarah's right too, the pic of Gabby and Erin is gorgeous, all the pics are great but that one is really nice, you should try it in black and white, I think it would look great. Just a thought

Sarah, I hope that you guys got a better nights sleep last night and that Zander is settling abit better for you.

Zola, woohoo on getting another good nights sleep, got to love it. Now to graduate to 8 hours straight Can you tell I'm jealous
    Brandon seems alot better this morning now Mark is sick ](*,) poor bugger has spent most of the morning on the loo. I wish I could just take Tehya and stay away from them all so that she doesn't get it again and that I don't get it either. Nasty aren't I.

We had a fairly good nights sleep I guess, after her sleeping the afternoon away she finally woke around 9pm for a play and a feed. Changed her into her pjs and she crashed around 11pm, she woke abit after 12 but I put her dummy in and rocked her bassinett til she went back to sleep til 1.30am then up again at 4.45am and stayed awake til 6am, crashed out again til 8.30 ish. All in all apart from the early morning play she had it was pretty good. She was quiet and just laying there smiling at me, how can you be cranky and wish her asleep when their looking so cute.

Better go, still haven't shower yet

Take care
    Trish

Sarah - I hope next week goes well for you. Best wishes for getting your routine down pat. And I'll sned you an SMS when things have actually happened!! Knowing my luck.........

You are all talking routines, I hadn't even thought about a routine yet. Charlotte is feeding 3 hourly but she doesn't have a routine as such. She does sleep a little longer at night but I do seem to be getting up 3 hourly but I am getting up when she stirs, not when she cries. No doubt she will get there eventually. Congratulations to everyone who is managing to get their bub into a routine.

I started to write my birth story the other day and walked away to tend to Charlotte and my computer died on me so I lost it all. I will try to start again tomorrow before I forget it all. It is quite an emotional experience writing it up.

I am having problems expressing. I tried using a hand pump but it didn't work so I may try hand expressing. Isn't it messy hand expressing? Do you do it into a bowl?

Maryann, I put a sterilised bottle under my bb and express into that, you may find it hand to have a clean bib resting under your bb to catch any stray milk too.

HTH

Take care
    Trish

Debbie Lee Guest

Don't worry Maryann - we haven't even come close to a routine yet. I am just demand feeding atm - it just so happens that Gabby is pretty good with that. She has kind of set her own routine. I have to go to the health centre in a couple of weeks so I am hoping to have some sort of routine down by then. Until she is old enough to do controlled crying, I don't want to try and force her to do anything as yet (again, because she is pretty good with sleeping etc. I can say that!!). Good luck with the hand expressing. I only expressed my colostrum by hand so it wasn't very easy. I have an electric breast pump (Nuk) and it works a treat. Maybe you could hire one of the Medela ones from ABA?? I have heard they are pretty good and they have attachments so that you can do both boobs at once. Hmm... may even look into one myself!!

Sarah - I hope the hammock does the trick for you! I don't blame you for being scarce next week. It's hard to get online when you want to! I hope it all goes well for you and we will miss you but you gotta do what you gotta do, right??

Trish - how cute that Noah doesn't let the other boys go near Tehya! The protective older bro already hey? My neice, Ebonie, was telling her older brother, Shannon, off yesterday when he touched Gabby. "Don't touch her, she's sleeping!" she would say. SO cute! I got it all on video too.

My sister's God parents came by to visit today. They are like family - so much so that we have always called them Aunty and Uncle. They bought Gabby a really cute little soft toy that plays music. They are a very musical family so it was quite fitting. Needless to say, they were besotted. They have done so much for my Mum and our family over the years so it meant a lot to have them drop by with their 3 kids (whom I used to babysit).

Ooooops posted this in the wrong forum!! LOL

Hey girls,
    Had a prety horrid night here, bub wanted to be fed too often and I wasn't obliging... couldn't think straight either so that doesn't help. I have finally got Violet into 000 suits... they fit muuuuuch better!! I had to wash them all tho, when I pulled them all out our I found a ****roach and hundreds of baby ones....ewwww!! It was one of those native brown ones with the wings (I actually buy them to feed to the lizards, they call them Woodies), so that wasn't as bad as finding a big black one! I have no idea what they were doing in there. They didn't seem to be eating the clothes... any ideas? May sound yuck but I scraped most of the baby ones off into a container and I'll keep them till thay are bigger and feed them to the lizards... that'll save me a few $$, just have to feed them now. (Now you are all starting to think I am a freak!! LOL)

Sarah, sorry to hear you had a horrible night too. I can only imagine it can get better. I have to say that Violet is the sookiest baby out of all of mine so far... Alecia was the best!! Dream Baby! Being 15 when I had her, if she had've been a sook I think I would've given up on her...lol, it aint easy to look after a baby and keep your sanity.

Deb, to this day Alecia still gets her name pronounced wrong, even by all my sisters. I remember when I named her I said I want her name to be pronounced AL EE SH EEA, and ppl still pronounce it AL ESH A... I think I am just about the only one who gets it wright... even she gets it wrong!! lol.

Again... I can't remember what else I was going to write!! Better go anyway... got tonnes to do.

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

I have one word.... constipation! Urrgh! Not pleasant!

Colleen - good to hear that James' belly button is all lovely now I hope that the mixture of formula helps his poo problems!

Tanya - sounds like Violet and Gabby are up to the same tricks with wanting to feed allllll the time. It gets so frustrating, doesn't it? I know that she is just trying to build up my supply but it is such a pain to sit still for an hour + especially when she is only half-heartedly sucking! I would rather express and give her the bottle, LOL. Please tell me it gets easier? Urrgh at your family saying Alecia's name wrong all the time. I was watching Oprah last night and they had the desperate houswives on. One of the characters is Gabrielle and Oprah could say it properly so why can't the rest of the world??? :-k

Gave Gabby a bigger comp feed last night but I think she drank too fast because she hurled some of it back up afterwards. Her first proper spew - the poor darlin. She slept for 6.5 hours tho so that was good!

A question, how do you know when you have burped the baby enough? The midwives told me that if you sit her up, she will burp within a minute otherwise she will fart away the rest of the wind on her own. Yet, my Mum used to burp all of us like it was going out of fashion. Is it not the done thing to pat and rub backs anymore? Mostly Gabby will burp after a few seconds of being sat up with a few pats and rubs but sometimes I can tell she is still a bit windy (rolling her eyes, slightly purple top-lip) but I don't want to keep patting and rubbing if it does more harm than good iykwim?

Hi Everyone

I hope you dont mind me joining in here!

Just thought I would add my details and will try to post properly after the next feed!

Forum Name: Dinky
    State: VIC
    Baby's DOB: 17 March, 2005
    Baby's Stats: Weight – 2720g/6lbs Length - 45cms Head Circ – 33cms
    Gender of Baby: Girl
    Baby Name(s): Hayley Nola
    Baby's Website:
    Health Concerns: (e.g. eczema, reflux, colic)
    Notes: (e.g. 9 days early, breech etc.) 5.5w early, premature rupture of membranes, emergency c/s

HI girls
    hate to tell you that Arron's Cousin is 25 and most people still don't get her name right. It is Naomi, sounds easy right. They call her NIOMI. I get frustrated with Arron cos he never says it right, but neither does his mum and other cousins. poor girl, she is so used to it she just doesn't care anymore. LOL

Cheers Michelle

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks for the tip, Colleen!

Urgh, Michelle! I hate it when people say Niomi. There is no such name so why say it??

Gabby is driving me nuts today. She won't go down to sleep and all she wants to do is hang off the boob. I put her on and not 2 minutes later, she falls asleep and stops sucking. I take her off, she wakes up and wants more! I can't burp her because she cracks it and turns her head this way and that looking for the boob. She's all windy and has done some big poos that kinda look like mustard and cottage cheese (mmmm tmi). So much for my cruisey baby hey??

Just quickly popping in to say, we officially have a diagnosis - Zander has reflux We have got new formula & gripe water for every bottle until tomorrow then we have to ring the Dr in the morning to report in....

Sorry to hear Gabby isn't going so well Deb, but hey we all of our days don't we?!

Can you add reflux to the health concerns on the front page please guys

Debbie Lee Guest

oh no Sarah, thats no good 4 Zander but at least you can do something about it now hey?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast