Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean Chatter #4

Debbie Lee Guest

Linda - I stayed for 5 days and I could have stayed another but it was good friday and I wanted to leave. It was like a ghost town in the ward anyway. Everyone wanted to be home for easter. I stayed as long as I could because I was having trouble with my BM supply. I am glad I did because I don't think I would have coped if I came home any earlier.
    I felt like I was in a daze when walking out of the hospital (I also felt like we had stolen a baby, LOL).
    I must say, though, being at home was wonderful. The hospital is so noisey and, if you have to share a room, the babies generally don't sleep at the same time!
    Most of my midwives were lovely. There were a few that were a bit gruff but they left me to my own devices after a couple of days and I just buzzed them when I needed them for something (apart from the medication and check-ups of course).

tiggy Guest

Linda,

From a mum and a midwife's point of view:

A catheter usually goes in after the epidural or spinal block (unless it is an emergency and then we put it in asap but this won't be a problem for you). We usually leave it in for 24 hours as this gives the woman time to recover from major abdominal surgery and not have to think about getting up and going to the toilet. If the woman gets up the next day and is moving around then we tend to take the catheter out earlier. Alot of it has to do with the woman but usually, it's up to 24 hours and then you have about 6 hours to pass urine after having it removed before it goes back in again due to the risk of retention and bladder damage.

In going home, length of stay: most hospitals don't have a policy on length of stay (I say most and by that I mean public). It is the woman's choice how long she stays for both vaginal and LSCS birth. When I had the twins I stayed until the twins were allowed home (which was about two weeks)I refused to leave them and they had nowhere for Mums to room in until the babies were released from the NICU, with Lily, who was an elective caesar, I left on day two as I had lots to do and I felt fine and Lily was fine too, I had the midwives come and visit me on the early discharge programme and it was fine. With William, who was a vaginal birth, I discharged against medical advise on day three to follow him down to Westmead and I am going to play it by ear with these two as I am going to be hospitalised for four weeks before the birth, which will also be a caesar at 34 weeks. The hospital that I am birthing in also does not have rooming in facilities for mums with babies in the NICU, so it will be interesting.

HTH

thanks tiggy!!

Linda

Well Linda

For my 4 c/s I was in for 5 days each time except for Lachie cause he was flown to Sydney 12 hours old in respitory distress(but that's another story!) So I was on an aeroplane morning of Day 3 post op. Anyway I would get out of bed the morning after and walk around and get the catheter out, have a shower(heaven) and had the same problem with bowels(they were obsessed!) and each time was given something to move things along! it was good to get home and Iwas ready...my advice is to stay until you are ready..there are no nurses on a buzzer at home!

I also had a few terrible midwives, but I just dodged them when they came on shift and really annoyed the good ones

Anyway good luck sweetie!!!

Jan xx

oh and by the way, my catheter was put in before the epidural/spinals ( I have had both) and taken out the next morning, so 24 hours

Jan xx

jan - did it hurt getting a catheter put in with no epidural? what did it feel like?

Linda

Linda It doesn't actually hurt,it is uncomfortable and really quick...once in I didn't even feel it was there, until of cours you have to move or stand up :-# anyway I know it may seem daunting but it really isn't such a big deal..or I didn't think so anyway..just a tip, make sure bladder is empty...Don't be scared or worried about your c/s, i have had four and everyone of them went smoothly

Jan xx

thanks jan, that eases my worry a little. i am just getting a little overwhelmed ATM that all of this is going to happen next week... 8-[ having you guys reassurance really helps though

Linda

oh you poor thing :flower: Linda...

I remeber what it was like the first time...the element of the unknown!

Well when you have that georgeous bubba in your arms you will wonder what all the fuss is about!!

I know you probably won't sleep much the night before due to excitement and nerves, but do try to get some sleep...you'll need it!!! I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that everything is just perfect..

Feel free to pm me if you need to...

Jan xx

oh thank you so much jan,

just reading your post makes me feel so much better, i really appreciate it. i know it will all be worthwhile and cant wait to meet my little bubba!!!

Linda

No worries Linda!!!

Just let me know before you go!!! I can't wait to hear the result!

Jan xx

Melinda Guest

Linda - I had a catheter put in briefly to drain my bladder before I had an epidural (I think I put that in my last post?!) and then it was taken out again. It didn't hurt at all. I had the next catheter put in with my epidural and that is the one that stayed there for 24 hours.

sorry for sounding dumb here - but i have no idea what the catheter actually even looks like or size etc. i guess i sort of imagine a tube like thing going in....actuallly i really have no idea.

could someone describe it to me?

thanks again

Linda

Melinda Guest

You know what, I can't say I actually paid much attention LOL. But yes, it is like a thin tube.....both the quick one I had and the one that stayed in.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey girls

I had a c/s 14 days ago and was wondering if anyone elses scar kept popping open in places?The middle section has come apart slightly, should I rush off to see my gp?The last time I saw my doc it was for the side part that hadn't come together then overnight it did and he didn't seem to concerned.Just not sure what to do.It is a little red to but I am already on antibiotics for it.

Melinda Guest

Personally, I'd go back to get it checked again. It may be nothing, but it pays to be on the safe side I think.

Hi Kirsty,

Mine came away at the side and they kept covering it until it healed ok. It took a few weeks longer than the rest.

I would go back to your GP and see what he says.

Melinda Guest

Just thought I'd add that I had little bits at the sides that were a bit red/weepy on occasion and the skin seemed not quite fused together there, but it healed perfectly fine.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast