Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The couch to 5 km! Want to join me?

Ok time to confess that I SUCK - I didn't do it this morning... Alarm went off at 6am and I just couldn't get up... and today it's 40 in Perth so I think I'll just wait and start when it's cooler! But I will start - I'm doing the body challenge, and I got on the scales today - eek, that should be enough bl**dy motivation as I don't think I've ever weighed this much. EVER!!! Funny how my BMI is still in the normal range - but I'm really tall so I think that's why...

Default I did it!

Week 1, workout 1 = done!

So very pleased with myself

Nevermind the fact that I was halfway between throwing up and falling over, and that by the end my 'jog' was rather pathetic - but I did it! And it was about 30 degrees outside still!!

I did find it particularly amusing when the guy on the podcast said something like "You should be able to talk and shouldn't be out of breath" - ha yeah right!!!

Well done MrsP!

My last session of "running" was so pathetic my dog didn't even increase her pace ....
    DF is supporting me, in that he's going to mind the baby while I do my workouts!
    So the next one for me is this evening (doh)

hey i was wondering, when you go walking/jogging, are you on your own or pushing a pram?? i have one of those 'jogger' style prams, think i could push 9 month dd while i attempt to jog??
    also how do you stay motivated when it is a really hot day, like 35 today in vic and 37 tomorrow, its just too hot for me then exercise goes out the window. would love to hear some tips.

Emma - wed/fri I'll be pram-less but Sundays I'll have the pram.

Just get out there and do it! Take your water, have your ipod ready, and go!

okay another question, and this might be stupid, but how do you know when 60 seconds is up and 90 seconds is up etc....? also does anyone know if you can get headphones that attach over your head instead of the little ear bud ones, they NEVER fit in my ears and always fall out, more of a problem than actually helping me walk/run.

i want to try this out but I cant do it on tuesdays as there will be no one to look after DS (DH goes straight from work to band practice and gets home at midnight).
    Would it be worth doing if I had to miss one day a week? weekday mornings are impossible as DH will not get out of bed to watch DS.

Emma - the podcast tells you when to walk / run etc. Nip into your local Fernwood (if there is one) - they have good headphones there for about $15.

Else any **** smith / tandy / myers / woolies / target / big w will have headphones for about the same price.

RayRay - can you do it in the afternoons? Or push DS with you? Or wake up earlier while DS is still asleep?

But either way, keep it up! You'll get there, just not in the 9 weeks

okay cool, i am having trouble finding the podcast? im sorry im a bit new to all of this.

Kaz - only on the weekends. I work full time. Presently DS gets up between 5:30 and 6am, and 5 o'clock is too early for me to get up. I get home around 6, and its dinner, bath, story bed, usually done by 8pm, so the only time I have is after 8 at night.

Rayray - ouch, that's one hectic schedule! What about your lunch time? (or are you like I used to be at work - lunch? What lunch? )

Emma - the direct link to the podcasts is: http://www.podcasts.ullreys.net/
    If you have iTunes just go to the iTunes store and search podcasts for "podcasts for running" and then download week one. The one on the site is week 9.

ETA - here's the even more direct link! Podcasts
    Last edited by Kazbah; January 4th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.

Ray... sounds like you & I have the same hours of freedom LOL.. not many!!!...

My prob is the same except we live rural & the only place to walk is along the main highway... not too keen on that at night!!!

lunch time I am planning to be in the gym at work, so still exercising I guess. I might see if I can fit this in, in the evenings though.
    At the very least it will be an excuse to figure out how the ipod I got for christmas works

okay help, i have spent hours on this and really need some help... i have just gone and bought great earphones for my mp3 player, its not an ipod... anyways i downloaded week 1 from the website, but it isn't recognised on my mp3 player, im thinking because it is a podcast? i really know nothing.... so i go to the mp3 page to download, and it opens it in windows media player but i can't work out how to get it onto my mp3 player. can anyone help me please? im just really stuck and thinking i will never be able to do it.

it has taken me several hours but i have now got it on my mp3 player.... god i wish i knew what i was doing!!!!

Hi Emma - glad you got it working! Only just saw your posts now.
    The podcasts are really handy - it's so easy to just follow the guy's directions!

Although I found it tough because I'm unfit, I can definitely see this plan working

Also I am not planning on strictly finishing in 9 weeks - so if I feel like I can't progress to the next week then I'll do another workout from the same week.

Rayray - I think twice a week is better than nothing at all, so I'd go for it! Though the plan does suggest rest days in between.. maybe you could try Friday night, Sunday and one other weekday? It only takes 30 mins all up inc warm up and cool down.

Did my second one today, I managed more of the running today. Got further along too! And I've created playlist of 2 tracks to walk down the hill to, then the running, then another 2 tracks to walk back up the hill

Great stuff, Kaz. And well done MrsP too. I have been crook the last couple of days so haven't jogged. Yesterday Natty and I went for a walk which was good. But I really can't jog while I have her. I really need my DH to look after her in the mornings which he has done ONCE but never again. He always seems to be working too hard...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast