Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routines, tips and chatter?

WOW Rachel! You have a hectic workout routine!!

Funny thing, Bec ... I have been having a sinus-thing going for three weeks and I to have that neck-up-go-gym rule Although it's has not helped me getting better. I still feel a bit "full" in the head and my fellow gympartners are very amused at me snorting and constantly blowing my nose through-out class. I just could not stay away any longer, so I am gyming the snot right out of my sinusses (I hope it works)

Had a HARD Step and weight class on Monday morning - my inner thighs are stiff like never before, but that is good. Means they did some work for a change. Our trainer has introduced a new ab exercise. I want to share:

Lay on your back left leg pull up and bend 90deg, right ankle on left knie. ( like a man sit on a chair) Now with your head staying on the floor and while breating out, pull your left knie to your left shoulder using your tummy and not your back. OUCH!! It works the ab on the left side right under your boob. I am going to feel it tomorrow!!

paradise lost Guest

Nadine! Just tried the abs thing *limps/hobbles to the kitchen for tea*...OW!

Funny thing is my left hip is much tighter than my right so it was my thigh as much as my tummy holding me back on one side...

Bx

LOL do I have to put a warning: Do not try this at home!! PMSL You should probably streach before doing this

Yeah, I found that my right side is MUCH more flexible than my left. And with my inner thighs still feeling monday's class, I looked pathetic trying to get my knie to my shoulder!! But I really LOVE doing ab exercises. I think it's because when I started going to the gym, I could not even do 10 crunches!! I still can't get my legs (while holding them straight) in the air while laying flat on my back, BUT I am working towards it!!

Aww, I feel for you guys being sick I don't mind being off if i'm really not up to it but what really really bugs me is when I have injuries I'm just getting over a dodgy hip, knee and shoulder. Although my knee is an on-going thing and I have to strap it for everything.

I don't know when i'm going to the Combat workshop...as soon as I can convince DH to give me the $900!!! I'm really, really excited about it. After that i'll do Step. I'd love to do Pump but my weights are sooo pathetic I think they'd laugh at me lol!

Anyhoo, off to Step now.

PS Just to make you really jealous Bec, we have the new launches (Step 71 etc) on the 16th - I love living in Australia!!!!!

Ooh I am jealous of all you girls getting into the hard core exercises! I am missing my exercise so much! Pre-pregnancy my routine was:
    Mon-Thurs am - 20 min jog on cross trainer
    Mon, Wed - martial arts training 2.5 hours each session
    Sat am - teaching kiddies martial arts 1 hour and then my own training 1.5 hours
    Tues pm - pilates 1 hour

NOW, haven't done my cross trainer because I've just felt tooo buggered, have dropped the martial arts because too risky with pregnancy. So my current pregnancy routine is:
    Sat am - Pilates for pregnancy
    Next week I'm planning to start antenatal aqua aerobics which I'm looking forward to.

It's a big drop in exercise which is why I'm missing it, but I've found my body doesn't need that much at the moment. Will (should) probably add in a few walking sessions as well.

paradise lost Guest

Aquanatal can be pretty hardcore! Or at least, i find it hard, non-pregnant, to keep up if i try to follow while they're in the pool - it's low impact but it gets the heart going anyway.

I was reading recently that when longer-distance runners get their mileage up to 50+ miles/week they can start to get pregnancy-like cravings. That's how much "extra" the body is doing with pregnancy, or at least, i reckon it's pretty comparable as regards strain on certain systems. I never had the energy i normally have when i was PG and i figured DD was just a busy little grower, and my body was racing to keep up (still like that now! LOL). Don't worry Laranna, blink and you'll have a newborn in your arms, blink again and you'll be back to it all. I can remember when DD was about 7 weeks old it was REALLY hard to remember what being pregnant felt like. LOL.

Anyway ladies i just did a 5k tempo run (where you try to run at race speed, so running out of breath but in a sustainable way) which was 10mins/mile or 5mins/kilometre. Pretty pathetic really but it sure took a lot out of me. I am over the hump with my sinus infection but putting my weights up after missing a week at pump has given me DOMS. LOL. So my warm-up was pretty sore until i got moving, but i had a good stretch and did a bunch of abs things (1 minute full plank, 30 second half plank (i know, pathetic lol) 10 each side of the agony-inducing shoulder pull thingies from Nadine, 10 each side twisting crunches, and 10 5-pulse crunches - OUCH!) afterwards so i feel pretty good now.

The most exciting thing EVER is that my dad called today to say my late gran's estate was significantly more than they thought and was really excited. Then he asked what did DD need for her birthday which isn't til April and i said that the buggy i run with was hurting my shoulder (it is a Graco Mosaic and is NOT for running with) and my lightweight stroller's wheels were falling apart and can't be replaced and i generally have buggy blues. So he said, well, how much is a running buggy and i said oh hundreds and he said GO BUY ONE. I'LL PAY!!!! So i have just ordered a baby jogger performance 3-wheeler with 20-inch wheels. I will be able to REALLY train with it! And DD will be SO much comfier in it than in her daft town stroller (i only run on pavement but it's still pretty rattly for us both)! I am so ffffing excited i could PEE my PANTS!!!

LOL

Bx

Thats great Bec! It will be so smooth, she'll think she's riding in a Rolls Royce!!!

5k run at race speed is mighty impressive! Wow! I can't run, unfortunatly even thought I do PFE's every night I still can't flat-out run Also have some trouble with decoys in Combat and scissors if I don't clench in time lol! Haha what kind of instructor am I going to be, "oops, 'scuse me ladies, must pop to the loo!!!"

paradise lost Guest

The sort of instructor who makes you feel like we are all real people and that fitness is attainable without one having to be superhuman! Of my 2 instructors i have to say if i'm honest i like the one who has had a baby (10lbs+ too!) and carries a normal amount of extra weight (she's not fat, but heavier round the hips than some skinny skinny athlete) and is a normal human. When i feel like my heart is climbing up the inside of my neck and i'm going to die i LIKE to see the look on her face as she teaches that tells me she's feeling it too! Maybe i'm weird but i like to aspire to the attainable. LOL. The other instructor is lovely but i'm never going to be a 153cm, 45kg, fat-free package of muscle EVEN IF i work like she does. She doesn't have kids and has literally 7 days/week, 10 hours/day to work out. I really work hard for her but i have more fun with the other girl.

When i was trying to buy the buggy last night i got "transaction cancelled" 4 times from one website so i gave up and ordered it (cheaper and with extras as it happens) from somewhere else. My bank called me this morning to check if i wanted to buy 5 baby joggers! Lol. SHe did say the transactions looked cancelled, but they have to check when the large amounts are spent (in total it would have been over 1500GBP if i'd bought all 5) to see if there's a security issue. Hopefully all sorted now. SO EXCITED! Lol.

Bx

Bx

Oh Bec, that is a wonderfull gift and it sounds like you are going through the roof !!

I had a nice and sweaty exercise-ball class this morning. She did some very hectic core exercises and lift-and-hold. She really got my body temp (and even my heart rate) up in the RED. But I feel great and no stiffness YET.

I spoke to her after class and on Monday she is going to take my body fat messurments and that is going to be my next goal. I am getting slack at WW and I need a new challenge. So it's going to be my bodyfat %. I need to get rid of the fat in my legs and butt. I am actually a bit excited about it.

I like my instructer (she is also the owner of the gym). She is small and very, very fit, BUT she is a mother of three kids (one set of twins) and I saw her "before" pictures today and NORMAL WOMAN. So there are hope for me still

There are a few totally different types of instructors as my gym. There's a few really fit, skinny ones - pne who is my favourite but not because of that, because she is completely inspirational and fun and we have a great time! Then there are some that have "normal" bodies and a few that are on the chunky side. Personally,if they can do the class then I don't think it matters what they look like but they have to be good at what they do. I don't have heavy weight in Pump but I used to have an instructor that used lower weights than me - that's not inspiring!

Bec - thanks for saying that! How lucky that the bank called - omg 5 prams!! That's too funny!

Nadine - good luck with the butt and thighs!

O-oh! This morning in step, I thought I had broken a rib! Seriously. I just was lifting my hands about my head and there was this ping/crack sensation across my upper back/sides! It really hurt to breath and I had to take a few minutes out of class. It got better and I was able to finish the class but it's still sore! I was laughing to myself thinking "oh no, I've broken a rip doing aerobics!". It's still sore but i think it's just a strain.

I like an instructor who can laugh and who makes me feel positive . My favourite instructor is an older lady who is healthy but not totally buff. She laughs at herself if she makes a mistake and really gets along side the class in recognising when it's hurting!

I agree, someone who can laugh when they or you make a mistake is a must. We have a Combat Instructor that turns the speed up everytime someone makes a mistake and drops it down if she does, it makes the class so much fun and everyone has a real giggle!

Ruth, that sound painful you poor thing

paradise lost Guest

Yeah sometimes my two bodypump instructors tag team and that is always great fun. She says to the newbies "If i come round to help correct your technique please don't be offended. I'm not criticising you, i just want you to be safe and get the most out of the class. We don't just want to touch you, well, Leanne does..." I'm surprised the new boys come back as they get so much attention and banter (welcoming!).

Well my new pram came ladies and i am SO excited. It looks amazin and DD loves it! Off to try it out now...

Bx

Ouch, Ruth! Congratulations on finishing the class! Shows your determinations. Probably just a sprain, I don't think it's possible to crack a rib by just putting your hands in the air .

My bodyfat % is 31.5%. I have NO idea if that is good or not, but by judging the size of my love handles, I don't think it's something I can brag about She is going to take my mesurements again in four weeks and told me that if I was really, really good (eating wize) I would be able to drop 1%. Does it really goes that slow????? I need to do some reading up on bodyfat%.

I have two instructors. The owner of the gym and a young lady. Both are black-belts in karate and are extreemly well build. Really something to aspire too. And they have great personalities. We have loads of laughs and they both are good at what they do. Keep the classes interesting. They know each member's weak points and I just love the personal attention.

paradise lost Guest

Hey,

I think with bodyfat for women between 20 and 39, 21%-33% is healthy, 33%-39% is overfat and 39% + is obese. The % refers to a % of the total of your weight, so to lose 1% you would need to lose 1% of your total weight in fat alone. So say you weighed 77kg (that's not a guess, i weigh 77kg) you'd need to lose 0.77kg in pure fat. You're likely to lose more than that in weight, but there will be water loss and muscle gain. Fat loss is hard to measure without a bodyscan too. I know a woman who reduced her internal organ fat by 60% in one year but didn't lose a since pound. She is and was morbidly obese but began eating healthily and exercising. SHe hasn't lost weight but she feels a ton better and her bodyfat HAS gone down. So with the calipers they are only measuring the bots you can grab.

Take heart anyway, love handles or not you're in the healthy range. I am watching a programme right now called Britain's Fattest Man and the poor guy is so ill!

Well i ran with the new buggy which GLIDES! It rocks so hard i will probably vanish from all the extra running i'm gonna do I also borrowed DP's heart monitor and it told me the following...
    My VO2 max is 52 (don't believe this as that makes me in the elite catergory...).
    My maximum heartrate is 193bpm (i got it to 192 during my run this afternoon and it didn't feel like i'd maxed out to me, i felt like i had more in th tank, you know?).
    My resting rate is 45bpm (which i was surprised at as i thought it was in the low 50's, but i've checked it 3 times now).
    I burned 700 calories on my 5k/32mins run with the new buggy (not very likely).
    I burned 2400 calories between 9am and 7pm (again, doubtful).

How accurate are they? It is a Polar and was about 120GBP so surely not a rubbish one...? Anyone else use them?

Bx

Thanks for the info Bec I weigh 70.6kg now. It's healthy and I feel great, I just want to tone up a bit and not have these rolls of outside fat, kwim? I am not going to starve myself and work myself into a knot, but I want to just firm up. I am thinking of going down to 65kg, BUT if I lose some bodyfat (and centimeters) and gain some kg's, that is just the way it's meant to be.

I'm glad you like your run You sound stoked

I have NO experiance with heart monitors, so I can't help you there sorry. Just tell me, what on earth did you do to burn 2400 cal in a day, packed, moved house and unpack in a day?? That does sound odd.

paradise lost Guest

To burn the calories I assembled the new buggy, went for a slow (was with my friend who is 8 months PG!) wander in the park and played with DD a little, came home, made lunch, then after naptime i went for a run where i warmed up, then ran 3 miles at 85-90% max heartrate (not on purpose, i find it REALLY hard to stay in zone when i have the buggy, even the new mega-fabulous one) in just under 33 minutes, then cooled off, stretched, came home, had a shower (with the monitor on! LOL), made dinner, tidied up a bit. The whole time i was doing it i was being 181cm tall and weighing 77kg which i know means i need/use more calories than a smaller, lighter person. In fact being 181cm tall and weighing 77kg means i expect to burn 120 calories/mile rather than the 100 that is quoted as the average. Only problem is i have to haul my heavy ass around with me to do it I basically think the monitor is overestimating my use as i think (haven't counted for months though) i eat about 2300 cals/day and i'm not losing or gaining, but then my thyroid meds are stable at 50mcgs/day and the condition isn't (it's autoimmune so some weeks it will be functioning a bit better than others) so maybe when it's working better i burn more and when it's more struggly i burn less?

I'm the same as you, i feel healthy and strong and i don't care so much about weight as about size. I too have love handles which i don't want rid of (DP likes to hold them sometimes ) but to diminish a bit. I do find that i'm naturally a bit fatter in winter as i don't run as far or as fast when it's raining and dark.

I'm seriously considering running again today even though i'm swimming and doing a 60-minute bodypump tonight... It's the buggy! It NEEDS me to take it out! ROFL.

Bx

LOL
    *sigh* Oh the trouble of jogging with a new buggy *sigh* it's such a schlep :P

But that is the whole point, isn't it? To do exercise that you enjoy so that you can keep doing it and not give up after a week or so.

I would love to incorperate swimming in my exercise regime. The thing is we don't have a heated pool at the gym (small town) So the public pool is the next option. I did have a season ticket about three years back, but it's not worth it. The pool is closed to the public in the mornings, but then the schools/swimclub/private trainers come with their swimmers and well, it's just a bit too crazy for me then. And NOW you have to write a letter to ask permission to swim in the mornings. If you are not in a swimclub or have a private trainer, they want a resume as long as your arm to make sure that you can actually swim, because there are no life-guards in the morning. I know it's for safety reasons, but come on!!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast