Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise routines, tips and chatter?

Thanks Rachel

I spoke to a girlfriend and she told me she just bought her some Medal New Trainers or something like that. Says it gripps the tile's off the floor, but it's a bit expensive. So I need to save up some money, but I am getting me a pair of those.

Where is everybody? In the gym I hope

Well, I have had a killer 3 days. I did Pump/Step on Monday as usual, then I turned up at the gym yesterday at 4.45 to do Combat only to find out I had the wrong time, it was Pump then and Combat at 5.45. So after much indecision I decided to do Pump again (very naughty I know) and put my weights down. Then I did Combat after. This morning I did Combat followed by Pump and just thought stuff it i'll put my weights back up again. So that's Pump/Step, Pump/Combat, Combat/Pump...YOUCH! I'm not in too much pain now but I know it's coming!

Got Step tomorrow and Attack on Friday so i'm not going to do anymore Pump till Monday!

Hope everyone is well

Oh Racheal, I WISH!!!

Are doing year-end and stock-taking, so no gym for me At my job and my husband's shop, so I am SOOOOOO busy. So if I am not around a lot, excuse me

I am hoping to be finished by next week Thuesday, so then I can get back to the gym.

Your workout sounds hectic!! I would have loved that!!!

Oh you poor thing I hate it when real life interfears (sp?) with gym - that's why i'm going to make it my job lol!

Hope you're all finished up soon. Whats everyones else's excuse?!

paradise lost Guest

Well i coulnd't run thurs/fri/saturday because it was too dangerous with the buggy in the high winds. VERY annoying as i was climbing the walls and DD was none-too-chuffed being stuck in all the time either!

I did run 7k on Sunday, without the buggy which made my slow-and-easy pace WAY faster!

Monday i was kind of ill, DP had had a horrible fever/cough thing a bit like flu over the weekend and i was afraid i was getting it too, but it all came to not much and i think basically it was another sinus infection

I skipped my swim but made it to bodypump last night, which was great. Our usual instructor was off and the other girl took it. She's great but a ball-buster - she actually REMEMBERS how much people lifted last time and forces them to put their weights up. And she swapped the biceps for a real toughie with a lot of fast fast reps too. My arms are killing today, it was a great class

I'm putting my squats and back weights up again next week i think.

The sun is (FINALLY) out here and the winds have (FINALLY) dropped a bit, so i'm gonna take DD out to the park so she can run a bit and i can run a bit (5k?) ahead of our planned outing this afternoon. YEAY!

Bx

I bet your little girl loves being in the pram whist you run, having the wind in her hair - it would be fantastic!

Hope you've been able to run a bit more now

I have had my biggest ever week at the gym this week.

Mon - Pump/Step
    Tues - Pump/Combat
    Wed - Combat/Pump
    Thurs - Step
    Fri - Off
    Sat - Pump/Attack

It was awesome, I feel great (bit tired and sore). I want to do the same next week and add an Attack class on the Friday.

Woohoo I love it! Now i'm un-doing all the good work by drinking lots and lots of beer!

Have a good weekend everyone

Default Body Pump

I'm not a fan of the latest release of Body Pump (dont know the number). It just doesn't seem to jell for me. Too many transistions, poor timings, all a bit jolty. Plus none of the songs really do it for me.

Also not a fan of the latest Body Step. Don't I sound like a grump now! It always throws me off when we start off with the block around the "wrong way"!

Do others have opinions?

paradise lost Guest

Are you on the new release? When did it begin? Is Hot Stepper your abs music and that Chirstina Aguilera that makes you want to kill yourself the cool-down? LOL.

What do you mean about the block?

You do sound moany! Get back in the gym moany! Lol. Only kidding. At least you won't have to suffer it too long, and often when the transitions and timings feel bad it's because it's challenging your body more. They mix it up to keep you awake and keep you working. No pain no gain right?

Bx

Ruth is talking about Pump 65 and Step 71. You should get those some time in the next year Bec

Pump 65 is a KILLER! Full on squats and lunges and no break in the chest track, phew! I kinda know what you mean Ruth, but I really like it. One of our instructors has already started mixing it up and we did 26 today - ouch! It's amazing that it only takes a few weeks to get used to something, even if it is really hard. As for Step I think it has to be one of my favourites!

It is off-putting starting the other way around (the block is front facing the instuctor instead of side facing) and I must admit I don't like doing the speed step that way round, but I really like all the new moves and the music is cool.

Have you tried any of the others? In Combat 35 there is Roundhouse challenge so practice for it Bec, 26 RH kicks without putting your foot down (well, you are allowed but you shouldn't!), wow it's a great challenge! There's a song from Hairspray, I think it's called "Can't Stop The Beat"? It is AWESOME!

paradise lost Guest

Oh, excitin! I'm trying to tone my hams so hard squats and lunges will probably do me a painful favour... LOL.

Pump progress report (in total weight on the bar):
    Warmup: 5kg
    Squats: 12kg (as of last night)
    Chest: 7kg
    Back: 12kg (as of last night)
    Triceps: 5kg
    Biceps: 7kg
    Lunges: 12kg (as of last night)
    Shouders: 7kg

Aims: to get my squats and lunges to 20kg by June, to get my triceps to 7kg by June, to get my biceps to 9kg by end of current release.

I wish i was more overall strong. I feel like i COULD NOT add any weight to the triceps - i feel like i'm only JUST able to finish atm, yet the instructor was nagging me to get my bicep weight up last night and i think i could try 9kg next week. And like the squats and lunges are HARD with 12kg, but i feel like i'll be able to add more in 3 weeks or so (in fact i don't really hurt today so if i haven't gotten some DOMS in my legs by tomorrow i'm going to move to 14kg next week), but with my back i feel like it's gonna be longer before i can up that, i'm finding it really hard now. I just feel like some of my muscles are hopelessly weak compared to others. Like if you took my biceps and scaled from that i should be able to life about 25kg on my squats!

Running progress report:
    speed: 6mins10secs/mile (WOOT)
    distance: 7.5km at race speed (9mins45secs/mile)
    endurance: 65mins continuous with buggy

Aims: sub-1hour finish at 10k in May.

Swimming progress report:
    500m/12mins (150m breast, 350 freestyle)

Aims: none. LOL.

Bx

Ok, I have finished taking stock and are back in my routine - THANK HEAVENS. Isn't it weird how you get up in the morning, don't really want to gym, drag your sorry butt there and end up enjoying it, but when you can't go to the gym you are willing to sell your first-born right for 30 minutes of intense pain and sweat

I am totally jealous of you guys having Attack and Combat and Pump classes

Had a nice, strechy fitball class this morning. I feel long and lean and stiff in the back a bit, but that is only because she consentrated the back this morning.

Hypothetical (sp) question.
    Could a woman get her body in shape in six months of extensive and hard gym (weights & cardio) training??? DH was oogeling a girl on TV the other day (darn damn sexy, I was oogeling her also ) and I told him that the chances of me looking like that was about -49.5. And then I thought that if I train hard for six months, surely I could look like that - if I wanted - I could, if I wanted. If I did not have a job and could train mornings and afternoons and eat the right food (this could be a HUGE problem ) ... how long will it take to get your body in tip-top shape?? Maybe even less time - like 3 months???

ATM I like myself, I am just wondering that IF I were to take on a project like that, how long would it take me.

paradise lost Guest

Hypothetical answer:

Yeah, you should be able to get fit-looking in 6 months with hard work. But...

How you look when you're "fit" depends a lot on your body type though. There is a woman in my bodypump class who leaves after the lunges because it is her 5th class of the day. She does 18 classes/week. Now don't get me wrong, she looks good, but if i were doing 18 classes/week to look like her, FOR ME, it wouldn't be worth it.

If you are the sort of person who has thick skin you will NEVER get the definition and tone that someone who has thinner skin can, and likewise if you have thin skin, you will never get the firmness of flesh that a person with thicker skin can. If you are an ectomorph somatotype you'll find it very hard to build big muscles and if you're an endomorph you'll find it very hard to build lean wiry muscle. Without seeing the girl and you it's hard to know if your body type is anything like hers. So yes, you could get to that level, bodywise, in 6 months, but you'd need to be prepared to look nothing like the photo girl when you do.

Also, once you reach this level, are you willing to keep putting the hours/effort in to stay that way?

It's something we've debated before on a few running forums i go to. So often people aspire to athlete's bodies without thinking about the fact that for most people who look like that, the work that makes them look like that is their ONLY job - top athletes do almost nothing for themselves, their working day is in the gym/on the track, so to take on looking like them you're basically taking on another job on top of the one you already do, kwim?

If you really wanted to, you could quit your job and become a personal trainer...?

Bx

Firstly - I spelled hypothetical correctly!! LOL

I get what you are saying and no we do not have the same body type. I am big-boned, pear-shaped and heavy (probably build hard muscle, not lean) and she was boy-shaped and fine.

And a big NA-AH NO on the keeping it up like that, once I get there. I have a life other than exercise It has been in the back of my mind lately, swotting personal training or something in that line. But I know I will never make the move. I am a play-it-safe kind of girl.

Just noticed something else ... it's only in this day and age that you can chat to ppl from the UK and South-Africa on an Austrailian web-page!!

Thanks for bearing with my silly questions.

paradise lost Guest

I know, technology is wonderful

My DP is a software architect, but he did his personal trainer qualification a few years back and does a course or 2 every year (recently did spinning course, going to do antenatal soon i think) just to keep his qualification current. You could save up and do the course without having to leave your job immediately?

I have a friend from SA actually and i love reading your posts as the way you say some things like
    she told me she just bought her some Medal New Trainers
    reminds me of her and makes me smile. And i LOVE having idle chats about exercise. Having you guys to talk to about it stops DP and my Dad getting too sick of it.

Just ran 5k in high winds with the buggy, was so windy i was having to push it DOWN hills into the headwind. LOL.

Bx

OK. I'm officially OVER this cold.

So this Monday coming, I'm going to tackle the 1000 steps.

And on the Sunday after that.

And the Sunday after that.

And I'm going to return to my C25K that I haven't done in 3 weeks and am totally missing (surprisingly).

Nadine, as Bec said you can definatly change your body over 6 months! I never ever thought my body could look the way it does and I had a baby just over a year ago. You will have to maintain it though but I would say if you ever get to that point then it would be because you have changed your mindset about food and exercise so I don't think that would be hard to maintain - it would just be your way of life.

I am really lucky that DH earns enough so I don't have to work. We always said I would go back to work when DD2 was at school. Even now the thought of not being able to go to the gym at least 5 tmes a week fills me with dread which is why i'm becoming a personal trainer The instructor thing is just for fun (it would have to be, they only pay $35 a class ). So to me all the work I do at the gym is for my future and my career and it's a good way to justify it!

Oops, have to go, my taties are boiling over...I will be back!

Quote Originally Posted by hoobley View Post
    Oh, excitin! I'm trying to tone my hams so hard squats and lunges will probably do me a painful favour... LOL.

Pump progress report (in total weight on the bar):
    Warmup: 5kg
    Squats: 12kg (as of last night)
    Chest: 7kg
    Back: 12kg (as of last night)
    Triceps: 5kg
    Biceps: 7kg
    Lunges: 12kg (as of last night)
    Shouders: 7kg

Aims: to get my squats and lunges to 20kg by June, to get my triceps to 7kg by June, to get my biceps to 9kg by end of current release.

I wish i was more overall strong. I feel like i COULD NOT add any weight to the triceps - i feel like i'm only JUST able to finish atm, yet the instructor was nagging me to get my bicep weight up last night and i think i could try 9kg next week. And like the squats and lunges are HARD with 12kg, but i feel like i'll be able to add more in 3 weeks or so (in fact i don't really hurt today so if i haven't gotten some DOMS in my legs by tomorrow i'm going to move to 14kg next week), but with my back i feel like it's gonna be longer before i can up that, i'm finding it really hard now. I just feel like some of my muscles are hopelessly weak compared to others. Like if you took my biceps and scaled from that i should be able to life about 25kg on my squats!

Bx
    Your Bicep weight is really good. I have always found it the hardest weight to up. I am still only doing 7.5K and that is killing me, at the end of the track my form is shockingly bad and I am wobbling like crazy! 9K is a really good weight to aim for, good luck!

I would recommend upping your Bi's and Tri's on the next release for sure. The Tricep track is long, with no breaks but there are 4 different moves so you're not spending the whole time in agony! The Bicep track is also pretty hard but it's really short so just go hard!

When I am doing my lunges I have stopped having the bar on my back (knee problems) and that really helps me up my squat weight. Maybe you could try squating 15K and only holding weights in either hand or infront when you do the lunges? I have found upping the weight in squats to be the easiest, as long as you can get the bar off at the end!

IKWYM about muscles being weak, man my biceps are pitiful!

Kazbah - I hope you get better soon! Being sick is sooooo awful, I really, really feel for you!

And everyone, keep up the fitness chatter I LOVE IT!!!!!

PSML ROFL - RACHEAL!!! I read that last line to quickly and I read "my tieties are boiling over" I sat here thinking for a second - Gee, what the heck is that woman doing!!!!!

Bec, I am going to kiss you to DEATH!!! I read your post yesterday and thought there is no way that I can get into personal training or anything like that and just blew the suggestion off. BUT I was paging through a mag in bed later and I saw it - career oppertunity, brilliant, simple, easy and perfect for me. I still need to do some serious market research AND hear what I have to do to qualify to instruct in these classes, but I am so stoked. I don't know if you know about this, but it's called preggiebellies. It's and excercise regime that are spesific for pregnant women using fitballs and light weights. There are no real place in my town for pg women to excersise. Yes we have a gym and a curves (new) and some pillates/yoga stuff, but no real classes for pg women, kwim. And I could incorporate some swimming and walking. Something different for everyday of the week, kwim?? Then I started thinking about what happens AFTER you had your baby. I could not go to the gym, because our gym does not have a day-care facility. Then I started thinking about classes for new moms and their babies ... using their babies as weights (sounds so unpersonal) but in that way strengthen the bond between mother & child, and even classes for mothers and todlers. And then I was thinking about instructing in methods that you can use while in labour (like using a fitball or sitting in certian positions) or teaching lemase (sp!!) I have not been in labour and probably would never experiance it, but that does not mean that I can't reach. Those who can't do, teach We are about a hour's drive from the city where you can get all these classes, BUT it's still a hour's drive and what woman has two hour's to "waste" to drive to an excersise class?
    Anyway I am probably TOTALY naive about this, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea. I have to get DH onboard too, have not spoken to him yet. I first want to do the research. I just hope it does not cost a fortune to begin, but even if I have to take five years or more, I would SOOOO LOVE this!!!!! It's a job I can do from home and then I can quite!!!!!!! I have all these ideas and my mind is racing. I'm rambling

Kazbah - that sounds lovely and daring. And it's great that you live close enough to do that that often. Goodluck !!!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast