Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - March 2007 #3

Lou, I think all jobs where you are working with children are the same - you just don't have time to pee, so you can't afford to drink too much! I'm making a conscious effort to massively hydrate myself while I'm at home, and if I end up in too much pain, I'll take time off to rest, no worries there.

Welcome, Sonya. It is amazing, and it's a very steep learning curve, but the girls here are wonderful and helpful.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that DH will freak when he learns that there are 12 follies on one ovary alone. I can't make him understand what the nurse told me - not all of them will be mature and not all of them will fertilise. And then not all of them will make it to blast. I want to have as many as possible so that we still have reasonable numbers of embryos to transfer, he sees that as being 12 eggs that will fertilise properly, go to blast and transfer successfully and flips out at the potential number of children we have. I might just not tell him about the numbers I've been told.

BW

Maybe tell him even more, maybe double it just to see how much he flips out BW! arnt I just the most evil woman.

LOL - Summer I like your style!

Poor Mr BW!

Tempting... but I don't want DH so freaked out that he starts talking about stopping, not retrieving any eggs, etc. Too many eggs and he'll want to cancel the cycle, or not have all collected/fertilised.

I can't make him understand that they won't all make it, so we're better off getting them all, fertilising them all and then letting nature decide which are the best ones, rather than trying to pick only a few eggs and going with them.

I'm also not sure what to do about the whole BD thing. With his sperm issues, we need to make sure he's having regular ejaculations - every 2-3 days is best, anything over 4 and quality will deteriorate, and it's not very good to start with! But, I'm simply WAY too sore to be able to contemplate it at all. The US probe today was bad enough, there's nothing else getting near my ovaries any time soon!

Why do men have to be so difficult?

BW

well if your too sore, then he can go meet mr left or mr right!

i agree he'll need to "take care of business" - Summer's idea sounds like it might be the way to go if BD is going to be too painful for you - no point adding more stress to your body hun!

Sammi Jane Guest

I only had one embie transferred so hopefully it's only 1 in there!!!

BW - All the follies won't have eggs in them. For me I had 26 follies 8 days after starting jabs and then only had 17 eggs retrieved, and then only 7 fertilised. 3 frozen, 1 growing inside me!! Maybe give your DH some examples of others, that might help him to understand?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

goodluck everyone for your current cycles and those waiting on EPU/transfers and betas. It is so heartwarmign to see the BFP's inhere at the moment.

I was checking some old threads the other day and out of less than 30 of us that frequented the LTTTC threads over a period of a (May/June 2005) year -18 months or so 24/29 have given birth / others are currently pregnant and a few even pg naturally after IVF babies with no 2. (3 in case of one with twins first). So never give up hope. I waited 15 years for my boys.Unexplained infertility. I never thought it would happen.

Though we only had IVF for 6 months before falling pregnant.

I agree BW - give your DH a hand if need be - your don't want to be b'ding with enlarged ovaries - really it can bruise them besides being shockingly painful.

About no of eggs ... on cycle 2 - I had 19 eggs collected ...17 fertilised normally and we ended up with 5 blasts (on day 6) - but only 2 hatching blasts were suitable to transfer and they others were not suitable to freeze.

Our 1st cycle we had 17 eggs - 13 fertilised - 8 embryos at day 2 , 2 day2 embryos were transferred BFN - when we had FET - they used 5 embryos to get two embryos to transfer - the others failed thawing process BFN.

The remaining embryo also failed thawing process.

Not that I want anyone to say this will happen in very case but just to give you an example of different scenarios. It was probably the lest best embryo from first cycle ... ie they thaw the best embryos first.

On 2nd cycle - I was mentally freaking out with 17 fertilised embryos because we would never discard/donate them... but it worked out ...
    Our last two embryos ...now our precious twins.

with hope
    Trish

Looks like we've got bigger things to worry about that potentially huge numbers of embryos...

Today's levels: 13200. Tonight I'm to drop to 75IU of puregon and back for another scan and a blood test tomorrow morning. I'm so sick of the drive to Parramatta!

Apparently my FS is worried. I'm freaking out because the FS is worried.

Trying to keep everything straight that the nurse told me earlier.

If we have some dominant follies, then everything should be ok, but I'm looking at collection, fertilisation and then freezing all embies - no transfer. Looks like they will need to keep the HCG trigger to a fairly low amount if we can go ahead at all. She didn't want to say what would happen if there were no dominant follies, but overall, things are looking pretty grim.

They are really, really worried about OHSS and the way my levels keep shooting up. Thing is, I feel physically fine apart from the pain in my ovaries and the fact that they hurt with every single step that I take. The whole moving around thing isn't big on my priorities right now. Is it possible to feel fine now, but still get OHSS after collection? Or is the fact that I'm feeling fine, but hurting a good sign? Is the pain itself enough of an indicator that there are problems?

I've been through so much to even get to this point, I'm really not coping at all well with the prospect of having ovaries full of eggs, and then to be unable to use them. Being unable to transfer is one thing that's difficult enough, but to be looking at the whole cycle being cancelled now...

BW

BW - I hope it all sorts out for you.I was faced with cancelling my first cycle because they though OHSS too. The ovary pain is normal when you are close to pickup especially if you have lots of follicles.

They skipped the last dose of Puregon, then I was allowed to trigger - with option of a freeze all but because I got under 20 eggs and a blood test showed my E2 levels okay the next day. I was allowed to transfer.

That they are still letting your continue on 75iu Purgeon means they must feel it is okay to continue at this stage ... otherwise if is was grim they would say stop completely.

It is possible initially to feel okay if you are close to OHSS but not if you have it.It can be serious - so at worse better a cancelled cycle than to proceed I was told. Trust your FS and rest too.

ediited to add - yes OHSS can happen after collection ...and it can be serious if you get pregnant as OHSS is worse if you are on the verge anyway.

Keen knows more about OHSS.
    Last edited by Baby~amore`; March 29th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks, Trish. It's getting information like that that calms me down. I guess it's all fear of the unkown that makes me freak out.

I don't think I'm in any danger of having more than 20 eggs. My left ovary had the most follies -12, there were less on the right, and they aren't expecting all my follies to produce an egg.

It's hard to trust the FS when he's so distant at the moment - everything is going through the nurses at the moment. Even though there were some who I initially didn't like, they all seem to be coming through for me now - very supportive and very willing to answer questions for me, which is good. It helps a little. It doesn't help when they end a phone call with "try not to worry until we see how things go at the scan tomorrow". Yeah, right.

BW

Thanks for the post Baby~amore.

Just a quick question, to do a FET cycle for one to transfer, do they thaw just the one? Still new to all this..
    Make that two questions, in your experience and knowledge do the lower grades which have been frozen still have a good chance of blossoming? I know all ours weren't all grade1's

Thanks!

Smudge, I think they would thaw one at a time until they get one that survives the thaw. Maybe? That's just what I imagine and I could be completely wrong.

BW

they thaw one (or 2 in case you are transfering two) at a time and scientist watches to see if they are dividing.They told me it only takes an hour or so to know if the embryo is suitable. If one doesn't make it they take the next in line.

All grades I have heard can blossom into a miracle. I have heard of very poor embryos going the distance and the previous best not from same EPU !

Regarding the grading all fertility centres grade differently and some don't tell you. WFC just told us cells' no.s and that you can't 'really tell' in early stages. Like they can't tell or see DNA structure either.

Usually, the more cells the better - so at day 2 - approx 4 to 8 cells 4 is good to 8 cells is great - after this when cells divide more prolifically after day3 -sometimes slow embryos might only have 2 cells on day 2.
    When they defrost - some cells can be lost so a 4 cell might go back to 3 cells ... then starts dividing again.

With blasts I am not so sure but they could see our embryos starting to hatch and in our case the scientist said the last 3 embryos wouldn't freeze well or there was a problem with structure ... not 100 % sure of the wording but part of it starts to divide into baby/sac etc and rest the pre-placenta for implantation. Implantation starts to happen day 6-7 or so.

Hi all,
    I've been off line for a bit as our internet went down but now it's all sorted.

Well we had our OPU on Wednesday and they collected 11. We have the transfer tomorrow, but have yet to find out how many embies we have.
    I've been a bit stressed about OHSS at the moment too, because I've been feeling nauseous and majorly thirsty (I think I’ve had more water in the last few days than I have in the last 6 months!). However the nausea started prior to the trigger injection. Does this mean that it wouldn't be related to OHSS?
    The tummy pain from this OPU was much worse than last time.

Smudge- It's time to find some good distractions, good luck for the tww, hope it goes quickly!
    BW- You poor thing, going from one extreme to the next!! So hope that you don't get OHSS. Look after yourself!
    Sammi Jane- Congrats on the great BT result and levels!
    BG- Hope you’re going well and feeling a bit better.

Sorry, since I missed a couple of days there are too many posts to keep up with – so I think I’ll restart from here!!
    Hi everyone else!

Carrie, I hope you get good news on embie numbers very soon!

It's another extremely early morning here... a few good signs (I hope!), I'm actually sitting here eating breakfast, when normally I can't on these early mornings, so the more normal start to the day is making me feel much calmer.

The other thing... I've gained no weight at all on this IVF cycle. I've actually even lost a bit! That's got to be a good sign that I'm not dangerously over stimulating, right?

I'll be on when I can later today to let you know how things go. I don't have a lot to do at work today besides trying to catch up on some marking, so it shouldn't be too hard.

BW

Hi Ladies

Baby Amore- Thanks for taking the time to let us know some great statistics, makes me feel more confident!

BW - Good Luck i hope everything works out fine!

Smudge - Good luck in the 2ww!

Well our FET got cancelled yesterday morning, my body managed to make abosolutely no follicles on the clomid and my hormone levels were down around my toes.
    The FS wants me to have Lap before we go any further so i am booked in for the 12/4. Then the next month double the dosage of clomid and see what happens. Argghhh!

We also saw the counsellor at the Clinic tonight as part of our stimulated cycle from last month, it was good DH was a little lost, but i thought it was helpful and if its free why not! Nothing else is!

Hi to everyone else and good luck!!

At this stage, I'm still smiling.

Left ovary is still kinda clogged with follies - all around 14-15mm as they are fighting for space now. The right ovary is being much better behaved and has some nice fat 20mm follies.

This is what they wanted to see! YAY! Looks like we'll be going ahead with collection on Monday. It will be interesting to see how I go after the trigger on Saturday night. Doesn't appear that we'll be able to transfer at all. At this stage I think I'm ok with that, just so long as I get a decent number of embies to put on ice.

Acupuncture this evening... Hopefully all will go well with my blood levels later today, but it will be good to talk it all through again tonight. I'm sure my acupuncture appointments take the place of councelling in all this!

Hope everyone has a good day.

BW

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast