Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding During Pregnancy - Women's Stories Of Bleeding In Pregnancy #2

Just a quick update. I had a scan today. They said I was four weeks and four days along instead of 6 weeks and 3 days as previously thought. My bleeding has got heavier. I went to the doctors who told me to go to hospital. They did another blood test and then checked my cervix, which is still closed. So I have to have another test on Wednesday unless the bleeding gets worse or cramping is bad. So still no answers at this stage.

Oh, hun. It sounds so stressful, not knowing what is going on. I hope that you have someone close to talk to and to look after you.
    Take care of yourself.

Sandy1171 Guest

Hi Miss Lightning

I hope everything turns out great for you. I had the same thing happen to me in two scans when I was pregnant back in december. I didn't think that much of it at the time, well deep down I did but I think I just chose to ignore it. Unfortunately I did end up having a miscarriage. I didn't want to tell you about my experience to scare you or anything. I have read so many situations that were similair to mine on this forum and alot of them have been quite encouraging, thats why I I keep up to date on how everyone is going. Its very comforting to read everyones situations even if they haven't turned out the for best cause then I realised I wasn't alone.
    So I wish the best for you, I hope it all turns out well.

Cheers

Sandra

haleybopper Guest

Default best wishes to any and all women w complications

The bleeding you describe is frightning and no woman would be able to help stressing about it. I am also pregnant at 13 wks. with bleeding. However, Imagine the fright of bleeding so much that you fill up a toilet and a bath passing clots the size of your hand with 2 inch thickness, thinking you just had to of miscarried. Disbelief, an ultra sound shows the baby just fine, heartbeat and all..but....the placenta looks "funny". I lost a baby late Sept 07. He was 23wks old. They never could explain my bleeding then either. He was born alive and lived for 3 hrs on his own. They refused to transfer me or him, saying it would be useless. Had no neonatal unit. He died not because there was some defect in him, but because his lungs failed. I am amazed everyday of the technology and astounding scientific research but yet have wishy washy answers as to why a woman is bleeding. It is much more common that it used to be. Makes you wonder why, maybe the environment, smoking, diseases..who knows. but you would think you could get a good diagnosis or atleast a cause of death. Back to my current pregnancy, my bleeding episodes all the same, happened 3 times. Then suddenly when I turned 12 wks, it stopped. Havent had any so far, but I do have constant period like cramping. Ultra sound comes this coming wednesday. Since Drs know nothing, I have been forced to educate myself and do a bunch of researching as to why I bled so bad and why other women do to. My findings seem to be that most likely there are placenta problems and uterus issues. Heres the thing. I believe that is why it is so hit and miss with bleeding in women, and it varies. ALot of women bleed and go on successfully, I think that is probably because the placenta can heal itself given oppurtunity. Rest is important. NO lifting,)not even groceries. no walking for long periods of time. This is crucial in order to allow the healing to take place. I do realize that bleeding also happens for other reasons too. But from my findings placenta previa and abruption are the most likely ,which makes sense since blood vessels are involved. I am praying on this baby, because I would not be able to handle holding another baby dying in my arms. I thought sharing my story would help some women. Also, forgot to mention. My bleeding would only onset after sex, but I do not believe sex is what caused it because it was like my uterus was already full of blood and clots and the motion of sex just "released" it out. flushing me , if you will. Then after the blood and clots passed, I actually felt alot better , great really. My dr has me refrained from sexual activity and she too stated that she does not believe that sex is causing the problem but I must refrain to not jiggle or cause any movement that could be harmful, which also points the finger at "tearing away " the placenta. For some reason they dont want to tell you that. LIabilty on Drs has become so absurd they cannot even speak to us anymore. However, sexual activity may be the cause of bleeding in some women and usually causes no threat BUT can put you at higher risk for an incompetent cervix where when the baby would get heavy enough and the cervix just cannot handle it causing a premature birth. Abortions are also another cause for an incompetent cervix, and being that statistics show that on average every woman has had 3 abortions in her lifetime, I would say that this subject needs to be discussed and the light shined on knowledge needed for prevention. I have had 2 in my life , 1 I am happy about the other I hate myself for. But none the less, the damage they cause is real and may be another reason that women are having so many more complications and no one brings up this taboo subject.And or are ashamed , embarrassed to tell the Doc that they have had prior abortions. Abortion effects the uterus and the cervix. I am not posting this information to point fingers or scare anyone. I just am a big believer in getting it "out there" because I know somebody somewhere needs this information.

Haleyboper - wow everything you said is so so right. I too have had an abortion and really it is no different to a curette and I have had 2 of those also. I had bleeding like you described with your current pregnancy and the clotting you were talking about. I woke in a pool of red blood and passed a clot the size of my palm and as thick as my thumb. That was at 11ish weeks and the size of it you would have sworn was the size of the baby, but nope a scan showed all was well and now I have a very active 20mth old. Truely amazing. But that is what the gyno said to me at the time, is that I had an early placental abruption was put on bed rest. I am truely believe that is the only reason my son is here today. You are right the placenta tore away and healed itself but only with rest and lots of it. I also think I had a subchoronic haemorraghe inside my uterus, which showed on most scans (but small). Have they ever suggested anything like that to you. I sooo hope this pregnancy is successful for you and I am sorry to hear about your child who died at 23 weeks. What a terrible thing to go through.

I have had bleeding in all of my pregnancies so far but nothing to the extent of my surviving child.

My thoughts and wishes are with you.

Haleybooper, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I can't believe they would'nt give him the chance, the youngest baby to make it recently was 21 weeks!!!!! Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, you are right it is all such a taboo subject and a baby although real to us as mothers is only another number to those in the medical field or so it seems. I too have done a lot of homework and agree with you entirely, there is bleeding that is related to other things but the bleeding asscoiated with sub H is completely unrelated to the health and viability of the baby but at the same time effects it completely given it is it's lifeline. I have spent half a day at emergency today, I have a healthy baby with a HB of 150BPM but may well lose this little one due to the large bleed currently showing on the US, I find it so devestating that an otherwise healthy baby could be lost to a problem with me???? I have had 3 D&C and as mentioned there is no difference between the effects of that and abortion, I wonder how much that has contibuted to my problems. Anyway DH and I are no faced with what to do next does he stop work for the time being to give me the break and the rest that I need, can we afford to take the risk that he loses his job, does it even mean if we do that we will be able to save this precious little one? Who knows we need to talk more about it, in the meantime thanks for the thoughts /advice.
    Take care to everyone who falls into this unfortunate catorgory and remember it is very difficult not to stress and I don't believe that will alter the situation.

Pam try to rest darlin as hard as that is. I know it works. Gl and thinking about you.

haleybopper Guest

Default thank you!

this was a double post , sorry!
    Last edited by haleybopper; January 30th, 2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: sorry for the 2 identical post, couldnt delete 1?

haleybopper Guest

Default thank you!

Thank you for your warm embraces and kind words. Yes I am still getting over losing my son. He was due now. I think the worse part of it is that I feel I must diagnose myself because I cannot trust a Dr to do it for me. Its almost like, well is my cervix incompetent and signaling the placenta to fall apart or is it the other way around. I forgot to mention that my son was delivered full sac in tac and the entire placenta was attached to it, but still no one could say what happened first, cervix vs placenta.

Sheree~~ thank you for sharing with me. No, they have never mentioned the subchronic H to me, the words were only that the placenta looked funny as if the blood vessels were kinda hanging down and around. Its so weird because everytime I had a bleeding episode like that, I didnt feel pregnant anymore or swore my stomach changed , or couldnt feel the baby there. I feel that way now, I will find out tomorrow. Ive been wrong every time before. I think I trick myself. Congrats on 20wks. Just stay resting, I wouldnt take any chances. I believe I lost my son because I was over worked and doing to much. Plus ,I was being very stupid and I smoked while pregnant as well. It was so hard to quit , I tried and tried but couldn't , it seemed worse while pregnant! Everyone kept saying the smoking didnt matter , that it was unrelated. That may be true because after my son died it was easy to quit with this pregnancy and I mean I quit totally. But yet, still having the same problems. But the warning on the label isnt on there for nothing. I blame myself. I am 34 by the way , my husband and I do not have any of our own children. I did have one successful pregnancy with my ex when I was 28. I did not bleed at all with her. My husband and I want so badly to have our own child together.

BlackDuckies~~you as well I thank for talking with me and sharing your story. The ER room is a nightmare and I feel sorry that you had to even go there. SLOOOOW. Im not going to tell you not to worry about the bleeding, because you should but not to the point where you are sure the baby will pass. What you seriously need to do is bed rest, it is the only thing and best thing available. There are no cures, no medications that help our issue. I know bed rest has helped me feel alot better, my problem was refraining from sexual activity. Its very hard for my husband and I. First ,just because of all the horrible things we have had happen to us #2 we are very attracted to each other & its a stress reliever and helps us stay close to each other. But now hes so scared he doesnt even want to touch me , and then since the bleeding and cramping always followed sex and or orgasim ,I woke up too. I think all couples are like that and when you feel fat and moody some women may feel like they must have sex with their partner to avoid him straying from them. Not worth the risk though and there are other ways to help him out LOL. You said you were thinking of having your husband stay home with you to help you. I do understand that , and it would be great if people could afford to do that. Mine cant, we totally depend on his income 100%. However, if you are able to stay home while he works, do you have some friends or relatives that can stop by every now and then to help pick up the house and cook some meals? Reach out for help dont feel bad asking people to help you.I mean really, just let the house go, who cares. Do minimum to get by. lay and sleep alot. Beef up the folic acid and vitamins that heal tissue, drink lots of water and lay down. If you can get this to heal, the bed rest may not have to last the entire time. If you do have a job maybe you can get disability with it, because I am here to tell you that if any one here has a Dr that tells you the bleeding isnt enough reason to be put up on bed rest...GET ANOTHER DR.

haley, thanks I spent the day thinking about how to rest. I don't work, I nearly wish I did it may be easier. I have booked the kids in for 2 half days of care and I will see if mum and dad will pick them up and have the rest of one day. Dh is going to take a day off work a week and I am trying to think of activities for the kids that involve me just watching!!! Unfortunately relatives and friends are out of the ? this decision of ours is not widely supported and people think we are nuts and maybe this is supposed to happen. I have a friend who said she would have the kids sometimes but she has 2 little ones of her own it may just be too hard. We don't have sex, just because of the risk, warned of it with DS 3, mainly the first trimeseter, but I think with this one it will carry on through for longer. Meals are going to be quick 5 minute jobs as easy as possible. I am seeing a homeopath today to see if she can get me onto something that might help.

Sherrejoy, thanks for the support how did I live through all of this before without BB and this amazing group of understanding people???????

kirstyM Guest

Default spotting before 16 day IVF blood test

I am currently undergoing my first IVF cycle and am not due for my pregnancy test until mon 11th feb but today experienced bright red 'wipes' and mild cramps. Just wondering if anyone has had this and if it sounds like an inplantation bleed?

Hi Kirsty, sorry just seen your post. I hope your test went well yesterday, some of the girls in other threads have complained about that sort of thing with the crinone, but I guess by now you have spoken with your nurse. Good luck!!!

It's so reassuring to read about other people who've had fairly severe bleeding and gone on to have a successful preg. My story (which is still in progress) goes like this...

I had quite a big bleed on Monday night - enough to need a pad (although only 1), and full on drip drip drip when I was on the toilet. It varied between bright red and dark red blood, and was like a period. It stopped after a few hours though, and then nothing yesterday, and just brown with CM today (which I figure is old blood from Monday night).

Now, the bad part for me is I'm supposed to be 7 - 71/2 weeks. Well, I had an ultrasound done yesterday which showed a sac measuring 6 weeks 2 days, and no fetal pole (also showed a large sub chorionc hemorrhage, which explains the bleeding). Doc has said to go back for a repeat scan next week to see if bubs has grown. It's going to be hard waiting, but I'd rather know for sure. And we didn't get a positive pregnancy test till a few days after AF was due, so I guess it's possible I wasn't as far along as we thought.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at the same time trying not to get my hopes up too much...

Gypsy - sorry about your bleeding. At 6 weeks 2 days there should be a fetal pole and heart beat, so hopefully it will be there at your next scan. I too had a subchoronic heamarraghe and all turned out well with my son. I actually was involved in a forum with lots of mums with sub h and nearly all of them went on to having successful pregnancies. If you would like the link just let me know. GL.

Hi Gypsy, I hope you have your dates wrong. I also have a sub H (large) and have had the same thing happen in most of my pregnancies, it does'nt mean that you can't make it to term, but it does mean you have to be very careful and rest, rest, rest. Good luck and I hope the news is good. If it gives you any hope I have had the bleeding from about 5 weeks and this morning took a few photos and added them to my gallery of my 9 1/2 weeks tummy.

haleybopper Guest

Default to anyone who has had prior miscarriages and or premature delivery

I have posted here a few times already and I am also expecting at 16wks, with a prior premature delivery. My baby was born and died at 23 wks. Something my doctor is doing for me that I had never heard of before , I wanted to share with all of you. My Dr is started me on weekly progestrone shots . Apparently these will prevent premature labor and upon my readings also prevent stillbirth and SIDS. For some reason the progestrone shots are not effective for multiple babies. Def worth looking into if you are in the category of repeat miscarriages and premature birth.

Lachie's Mum Guest

Default Confused ......

My ob confirmed on Monday night that I was 5 weeks pregnant. I started spotting on Tuesday and then it turned into a light period by Wednesday. No clots or cramps - just light bleeding.

We went to the hospital on Thursday evening as the bleeding was not getting any better and I was examined by a doctor who told me that my cervix was closed which was a good sign as miscarriage was not happening and I needed an internal ultrasound to find out why I was bleeding.

On Friday I had the internal ultrasound and was told I had a miscarriage as they were unable to detect a sac and that everything had passed given there were no remains showing on the ultrasound. The blood test revealed that my HCG levels were high.

Today I took a pregnancy test and it came up as positive and I am booked in to see my ob on Wednesday.

If the miscarriage is complete, can a pregnancy test show up as positive?

Hi Lachie's mum

i am sorry to hear of what you have recently gone through.

re your question, yes the HCg levels can remain for up to a couple of weeks - enough to give a positive preg test. The instructions in the box usually say not to use if been preg within the last month I think??

I wish you luck for the future ....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast