Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #15

Just to let you know, I made my spag bog, and it was delish. I went mostly with Cialin's receipe but used white wine rather than red, didn't have red. It was delish, and there was enough left over for another 4 night's worth of meals. all frozen into portions now for a lazy day
    I definitly need to try the sausage casserole. Do you use beef or pork sausages? We also get chicken ones, would they work?

Debbie Lee Guest

I reckon any kind of sausages would work, Kimi. We just use the regular beef ones.

I made a beef curry the other day and it didn't turn out all that great. Neil reckons it tastes ok but he's barely had any so I know he's fibbing It was a recipe designed for the stove-top so it was far too liquidy (even tho I reduced the amount of liquid). Ah well... ya win some, ya lose some, hey?
    I think from now on I'll use the vegetable curry recipe that I posted and just add meat to that...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Did you try thickening it at the end Deb with cornflour? I do that if I find something is too watery. Bugger though, did it still taste alright?

We had the sausage casserole last night, delicious as always

Debbie Lee Guest

Nup I didn't Bec because I wasn't home for a couple of days (I cooked it and left it going so that Neil could have it that night).
    Mmm sausage casserole. I was going to have that this week but went with beef strog instead... hmmmm strog.
    I've just wrote the shopping list for Thai Green Curry and the strog.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, bugger. We LOVE the sausage casserole in this house, definitely a family favourite. Mmmmmmmm beef strog, another favourite here too. Might have to do that here soon.

You can use any flavoured sausages you like I reckon the fatter the sausage the better!

I need to get my SC out this week!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hello all,

I am new around here - this is my first post! Straight to the food section - LOL!

I recently got a 3.5L slow cooker for a gift but was wondering if you girls (or guys) think that that capacity is big enough to do a roast chicken or a loin of pork or something? I have opened it but haven't used it. Wondering if I should try to do a swap for a 5L and pay the bit extra...Any thoughts? I have never cooked in a slow cooker and I'm pretty keen although my husband reckons I'll use it as much as I use the rice cooker i.e. not very often at all. LOL. I'm determined to prove him wrong. He also has 'issews' with me using the slow cooker to roast joints of meat...I'll show him!

Yum - this is the first time I have had a look in here and there are some delicious ideas that I am going to have to try.

Will have to keep an eye on this thread as I LOVE cooking with the slow cooker.

Debbie Lee Guest

Familygirl - Welcome! I started with a 3.5 litre SC and I was able to do chooks in there (didn't try any other roasts). A lovely friend of mine bought me a 6 litre one recently... so I've been able to do large quantities. You can still do some decent thinks in the 3.5 litre one tho!

Welcome to you too, Jemima!

I'd pop some veggies in, so they can absorb some of the flavours, and serve rice on the side. then after it has finished cooking, thicken the "sauce" up with some corn flour afterwards Hope it helps...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Well it's too late for me to help, what did you do Theresa and how did it turn out?

I have Deb's beef and veg casserole with dumplings in today. But I improvised a little and added some potatoes and will add later peas and corn and mushrooms. I also added some season all and some moroccan spice, it smells heavenly and it's not even done yet.

Debbie Lee Guest

Oo sounds good, Bec. How did it turn out?

I've got a chicken thai green curry going today. Neil's gonna make some roti to go with it.

It's not even 11am and just reading about what you're all cooking is making me hungry for dinner!

Thanks Debbie-Lee for your advice! I am happy with the 3.5 for now...It seems to be enough for me, DH and DD. Maybe if we add to the family, I'll need a bigger one...

Okay, another question girls ... I am doing a sausage casserole (if it works out, I will give you the recipe). Anyway I am using Cailin's sausage casserole recipe as a guide as to how long to cook for. I am a total novice so please excuse my ignorance. Cailin's recipe says to cook on Auto for 5 hours but my SC only has low, medium and high settings. What does Auto translate to on my SC? Sorry if this is totally obvious!

I'd say a couple on high (maybe 2 and the rest on low) Not a silly question at all!

Tonight we're having rissoles with red wine & rosemary gravy and sweet potato & potato mash...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Debbie Lee Guest

Yep... I agree with Cailin, familygirl. You could probably do medium for the whole time if you're not gonna be about to turn it down?

Good thinking deb! Silly me! LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks girls. Talk about quick service!

Cailin, I'm sure all I'm going to be doing (at this stage anyway) are casseroles in my SC. Your meals sound so yummo and restaurantish-no wonder your DH is a fan of the SC! My poor 'ol DH will be eating casseroles til they come out of his ears. LOL.

oh goodness This is the first time I have been in here in AGES! Everytime I see the word "Slow cooker" my tummy turns! Mine is still in the bottom cupboard. I wonder when I will be game enough

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast