Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #15

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I think the sausage casserole will become a once a week thing, we all love it

hammismummy Guest

Hi, Im new here. I was doing a yahoo search for toddler food and landed in the slow cooker thread. I have become obsessed with reading the recipes. As a mum of a 20 mth old boy and working I have little time to prepare an evening meal , so I have dusted off the ronson 5L and started slow cooking.....( have done many soups and corned beef as one offs in the past). This thread has really inspired me .I did the sausage casserole recipe overnight last night and came home to dinner tonight!!!!! where have I been this is so much simpler that trying to juggle cooking, bathing and organising life for tomorrow!! thanks guys.
    Last edited by hammismummy; November 17th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.

Hi Emma and welcome to BellyBelly. Have you had a look around yet ?? I'm sure you will love the other parts of this site too.

A slow cooker really does make things so much easier during the evening rush around.

I'm heeeeeeeere!
    I finally got a slow cooker. Mum and I went shopping for my promised birthday present (that was back in July) and we bought a breville Avance 5L - which should be fine.
    Chicken and mushroom meal cooking as we type! Hopefully will be ready by 5pm, we had to put it on high as we didn't get it going til 12pm, but thats OK. Its going to be fabbo having it - I've been wanting one forever

hammismummy Guest

is it safe to cook a chook from frozen in the slow cooker.....worried about food poisioning???????

YAY for you Fi. You won't know yourself hun, especially witha little bub in the house and a whinging toddler at dinner time. Sorry, shouldn't say that hey

I always put my chook in frozen, if you put it on auto, that way it will start off at high then it will turn itself down to low later on. Put it on fairly early in the day though, especially if it's frozen

I haven't got food posioning from it yet

hammismummy Guest

Thankyou very much for that, have been a little stressed about it. I have put one on today at 1030am on low... how long roughly would it take do you think?
    THANKS
    ps. I put it in frozen

I would say that it should be ready by 5pm. Just take the lid off and have a look at it, when chooks are cooked in the sc they usually start to fall of the bones.

Hope it turns out great

hammismummy Guest

Smile

Thanks Trish . It smells wonderful, I will let you know how it goes.
    Take care

Ok, I have a question.. I already have a slow cooker and love it. I've just found out my Brother and his fiance are expecting their second child, they both work and they have a son who is 2 and a half, do you think it would be a good idea to by them a slow cooker for christmas with a bunch of recipes from here printed out for them (Mum & I love the roast chook using french onion soup mix and also the porcupine meatballs are a huge hit)? I mean I know I would have liked something like that when I was pregnant, but I just wanted some other opinions I guess..

Mmmm... I was wonderfing about frozen food in my SC, there are always so many conflicting answers to that, but, I figure if there are people who pop frozen chooks in the SC then it can't be too bad especially when you forgot to take it out the night before *blush*

After last nights Curry, if DH didn't already like the SC, he is now in love with it!
    The added bonus is we had unexpected friends around and they also loved it, and I didn't have to worry if there was enough food, there was plenty.

Durban Curry

In a pan heat about 1 tbsp cooking oil, medium heat.
    Add 1 onion sliced lengthwise, and about 2 cloves crushed garlic, saute for about 2-3 minutes till onion begins to turn translucent, then add 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1 tbsp curry powder (I used a mixed masala), saute that, till the spices have started to turn to oil (by that I mean they no longer look like powder). Then brown the meat in that mixture. Tip all into the crock, and add 1-2 tins chopped tomatoes. (You can use fresh ones, about 6-8). Mix it all up and leave for about 5 hours on low. Then peel and halve 4 - 6 potatoes, pop them into the SC, mix around a little, and then leave them for another 2 hours, and voila, lamb curry to die for. I served it with rice

TTFN

hammismummy Guest

Smile

yum, that curry recipe sounds delish!. Well my slow cooked chook was awesome! cooked to perfection after about 6.5 hrs on low ( from frozen) accompanied by parsley mash, beans,carrots and gravy YUMMO.
    I am doing beef strog overnight tonight ready for tomorrow nights meal.....Im loving the convienance of slow cooking!

hammismummy Guest

Melinda , I say get them one but do print off the slow cooker recipes, they are going to have their hands full so what a bonus to have an uncomplicated way to make meals that you dont have to "stay with" or check all the time and recipes to boot!!!!, wish someone had done it for me sooner!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Melinda- I think your idea for a present is wonderful, I think they would really appreciate it

We had Mel's chili the other night, delicious as always and last night I used the leftovers to make tacos, very, very yummy.

Emma, good to hear that your chook turned out nice.

Melinda, I think that's a great idea. I thought of getting one for a present for someone I know too and the idea of printing up the recipes from here is a good one

Kim, your curry sounds devine. One day i will do one in the sc. I still haven't gotten too adventurous with it.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fi - woo hoo for your SC! You'll love it... and I'm sure you'll come up with some great recipes to share

Melinda, I think that is such a thoughtful gift idea. I belong to a cooking forum too and there are tonnes of slow cooker recipes there. Google Discuss Cooking to find it. Its a US site but there are really great recipes and ideas on it and the people are lovely.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast