Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2008 #3

Hi ladies,

hope you are all doing well and getting some sort of routine going!

Jordan his the 5 week mark tomorrow, haven't had him weighed since he was 2 weeks but he is definitely growing well! We seemed to have finally gotten somewhere with the feeds, we were stuck on 2 hourly day and night for the first 3 weeks, now he has just started going to bed at either 8 or 10, then sleeping till either 1 or 3, then wakes at 5. Big improvement for us! At 5am he is SO awake and wants to play so we tend to sit in bed with him for an hour or two, then I give him a quick feed again and he usually sleeps till 10. Is awake a lot more in the day now too. We are going so much better now getting that extra sleep.

He still gets a lot of wind but has started to burp a bit better.

I too have been BF in public since early on. I have done it in waiting room at chiro, at the royal easter show, food court, wherever. We are off the nipple shield and he latches on really well so I have a lot more confidence with BF now and I don't cover up with a wrap, but always have one ready to offer any bystander who doesn't want to see my baby eat :-)

We are using MCNs - baby beehinds mostly, I love them they are going really well, no leaking, easy to wash etc. Saving so much money by not buying disposables!

How is everyone feeling physcially? Remember I am a personal trainer so if anyone wants any tips let me know!

Ness

Esme and Roquen, you have some great sleepers there! DD is getting better - will go down around 10 or 11pm and wake up for her next feed at 2-3am and then will sleep til around 5am, but then she is wide awake and nothing will get her back to sleep! I usually bring her in bed with me then. But she only sleeps during the day if she is being cuddled, which is becoming a huge problem. I am trying really hard to get on top of that at the moment. She also still has heaps of wind and gets really upset, plus she has reflux. She spent all day Sat throwing up and it was horrible, but she is happier today.

Good on you all for BFing in public. I haven't really had to yet except at mothers group, with friends and family and once in a parents room. Oh, actually I did twice at a park at Easter (I had barely even realised that I was in public, but there were people everywhere and it didn't bother me!). I think it's easier now I have the hang of it and can do it more discreetly than I was able to before.

Ambah - I know what you mean about how huge they seem since birth yet everyone else thinks they are so small!

ash - I can totally understand - how unfair to have AF back already when fully BFing! Mine came back when she was 6 weeks old!

katkins - you poor thing! I hope you are feeling ok now. I agree with what you said about AF coming back so early these days - that's what the CHN said to me when I asked her about it. I hadn't realised it could come back that early. My SIL didn't get hers back for over 12 months! I was hoping I would be the same but so much for that!

roquen - a physio came into mothers group to give us some exercises for getting our tummies back into shape, but i missed them because DD was being whingy. I would love any tips you have so I can fit back into my jeans! I am also getting bad hip and shoulder pain on one side probably from carrying DD on my left and trying to do things one handed. Any tips for exercises that could help?

How many of you have DTD if you don't mind me asking? We haven't yet. We tried at about 5 weeks but it hurt, and now my AF has come back already so we will have to be careful, which is a bugger. I was hoping not to have to think about that for a while!

We haven't dtd yet, my bleeding has only just stopped and my stitches were pretty bad, have only just all come out/healed now, I'm actually terrified of trying, the delivery was so traumatic, I think it might take me a bit longer to get over that and want to dtd!

Exercises - first thing to check is how much separation there is in your tummy muscles so:

Here is how to check for diastasis recti (or separation of your main abdominal muscle). First, lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Slowly raise your head and shoulders off the floor, tightening your abdominal muscles. Keeping the muscles tight, put your index and middle fingers on your belly just below your belly button and press in slightly. You should feel a soft gap between hard muscle on either side as you move your fingers side to side (if you still have some baby weight to lose, you may need to press in deeper with your fingers to get to the muscle). If you can move your fingers side to side more than two fingers' width, then you have a separation or diastasis recti.

I personally had just under 2 fingers width so was able to start doing core/ab work right away.

If you have more than 2 fingers width, the best thing to do is start by doing a vacuum exercise - standing up, you breathe in, then on the breath out, you draw your belly in as hard as you can, then release on the breath in, next breath out do it again, repeat about 10 times and as you notice more control, start to flex your abs harder as you pull in and hold the tightness for a bit longer each time. You can do a lot more than 10 as you get stronger, maybe break into sets of 10 - 15 and do it 3 or 4 times.

I started just doing that one every day, plus the normal pelvic floor ones, then progressed to basic crunches lying on my back, knees bent, lower back flat on the floor, and ensuring i tried to push my lower back down, and draw belly button DOWN as I sit up into the crunch, and to do them nice and slowly.

Lots of walking with your tummy drawn in and braced tightly is going to help a lot too.

Start with those and then I can give you some harder stuff once you notice the muscles tightening up a bit more :-)

With the pain - do your best not to carry and drop one hip like that, it won't do you any favours - a habit I already have to fight though! There are some harder core stability exercises like prone holds that you should do when ready which will give you more stability, strength and straightness. Your spine isn't supposed to be bent sideways so really try not to do it :-)

hi all.. im so behind personals.
    Roquen, Ive had tummy separation and hv been doing some tummy exercises lying down, like the ones you described. and when i walk i pull my stomach in. i dont always remember to do the exercises tho.

I'm going to start going to the gym and get a personal trainer. they have free creche for bubs from 3 mths so i might ask MIL if she can watch him certain times a week.
    What do you think about going on a diet, im not losing weight, actually put some on as mum was feeding me senseless. i rang lite n easy and they said if you're bf, go on the 1500calorie diet. i was thinking of just doing breakky and lunch, as DH and i will ahve dinner together.

sleeping - im having the opposite problem..Poopy just sleeps too much. after each feed he just sleeps, sometimes he stays awake a bit then falls asleep. the last week ive had to wake him up for a feed. at night he sleeps well, i put him to bed about 11.30 and he wakes up at 5. the other day he slept till 7!!
    im going to ask the mw on thurs at the ecc...im getting worried he sleeps too much.

Prama dont worry about his sleeping!~! Remember they grow when the sleep, and at the age he is it's expected to have large growth!! Enjoy it while it lasts i say!!! Lol good luck, let us know what your mw says

Re the BFing in public - im not worried about what other people think, it's just really awkward for me - there's a post in the bfing forum if anyone wants to know. Anyhow, so for me it's baby steps until he can hold his neck up, attach himself and be less fussy.

Sleeping - Alexander is mostly a four hour feeder during the day and then at night he will generally have a six hour gap and then a five hour gap. Im not to worried about feeding routine in the day, i find if i do let him go three hourly (if he wants it) are the nights he goes almost eight hours.

Bun - WE DTD first at 3wks. BUT i didn't have any tearing or problems with delivery, my bleeding stopped at around 2.5wks and i guess i needed to feel loved PMSL. Also thought it'd be good before the six week check (seeing as i wasn't told not to) in case it made any other questions arise that i could ask the Dr. Remember that BFing makes you 'self lubricate' less too.

Sorry, this might be TMI but i need to ask -
    Anyone know how soon you can do a HPT? Im flipping out as "AF" arrived slightly yesterday - not even enough to soak through a few sheets of toilet paper (i was at a friends - all guys - house) & is barely here at all today, it's very light and i can only tell because it's slightly pink when i wipe. I was under the impression that the first AF post baby was fairly heavy, so i'm quite paranoid.
    That and 5-10DPO is pretty much spot on with when we've DTD. I know they say anything period related post baby is considered normal but i'm going crazy thinking about it. I've had a bit of cramping that i thought would seal the deal that it was AF but still nothing...
    I suppose i just have to wait and see.

Hi all,

We are trying to implement the sleep-feed-play routine. It worked really well yesterday. My DD normally doesnt sleep that much during the day or will be like Catherine Bun and only want to sleep in our arms. But yesterday we played with her for a bit after her feeds and then when she got a little grumpy we put her down and she stayed in bed for an hour or so. But today we went out for a lot of the day and she has been feral since we got home. She is in bed now.....

My DD is a sensational sleeper during the night. We bath her at 930 every night. She then has a feed and is in bed by 10. She wakes anytime from 2-5 for a feed and then back in bed for 3-4 hours. Last night she woke at 5 then back in bed until 9. It sure is tough when she doesnt sleep during the day and all I can do is hold her. I get nothing accomplished. Hopefully we can get the sleep - feed - play routine working soon. At least if I can get a couple of hours break during the day it will help with chores.

As far as DTD. We have not tried yet. I know DP wants to but I have not started the mini pill yet and I am also a little scared after a long labour and birth with the 3rd degree tearing. AF has not shown.

i havent bf in public yet, each time ive take a bottle. only time was in the back seat of our car. it's not that i dont want too, Poopy takes almost an hr to feed, it's hard being somewhere and sittign there feeding, esp at someone;s house or a clinic where you have to stop midway.

DTD - we havent in ages!! i think our needs are bit more basic, we need sleep! but since Poopy has been sleeping through most nights.
    I had a small tear but Dr. said it should be ok now. We might try over the weekend, bit strange as bub sleeps with us.

Ash - HPT, you can try min 10 DPO.
    I've been waking Poopy up for his feeds as he needs to increase his weight.

Prama - eating the right food is sooo easy and a lot cheaper than lite n easy. I could email you an idea of what I eat every day if you like? I have lost all my pregnancy weight and am back in my clothes etc, flat tummy etc, all I did was eat well and breasfeed, haven't done anything other than the ab work yet, have hardly even gone walking.

Prama - that is such a long time to feed hey, I can totally understand why you don't BF when out and about! I am sooo lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) in that I have a strong fast let down, and a super sucker (lord knows how seeing as he needed a nipple shield and a lot of help initially!), we can do a whole feed in about 8 mins - he generally only goes one side during the day, and last feed before bed will be both sides, as will first one in the morning. If I express I can get 100ml easy on one side in about 4 mins of pumping with a manual pump. Its hard for Jordan though, he chokes often as my milk comes out in 4 or 5 spray jets and if he comes off for a breather, it goes EVERYWHERE, in his eyes, nose ears, and any bystanders lol. I try to manually get some out before I feed but not always possible!

Well the munchkin is stirring so best be off and do his big feed before bath and bed!

Hope everyone gets some sleep!

he chokes often as my milk comes out in 4 or 5 spray jets and if he comes off for a breather, it goes EVERYWHERE, in his eyes, nose ears, and any bystanders lol. I try to manually get some out before I feed but not always possible!
    Im the same Ness, and Alex does it too - i washed the sheets two days ago and of course they're filthy already because of the jet sprays midfeed in the middle of the night pmsl.

Roquen - wow how did you get back to your old weight so quick. i didnt put on a lot of weight, 12-14kgs depends where i weigh. and what kind of ab work did you do. i would really appreciate if you could give me an idea of what you eat. i know ive been eating lots of rice, which isnt good.My mum had been feeding me lots! i hope it's not too late to lose the weight. i feel down sometimes when my clothes dont fit well, and i feel fat and awful. esp my wobbly belly.

i think i have a very slow let down. that's it takes ages and i need to top up with formula. sigh, it;s hard work.

Roquen - Oh I would so love some advice (and motivation!) on how to lose the post pg weight... I am still about 10kg heavier than I was before I fell pg with Eva. I have lost 10kg since the birth though. Funnily enough, in the past 3 weeks my waistline has shrunk at least 2 inches, but I have not lost a kilo in that time.
    I started back at the gym last week, and have since been 3 times.
    I am aiming to go 5 days per week, as I know that is the only thing that kickstarts my weight loss.
    I walk every day on average 30 - 60mins with the pram, 5 times a week, as I don't drive so am always walking to kindy, or walking up to the bus stop, or walking to gym. But my body is used to walking like that, so I don't think it does anything for me.
    At gym I think I will mainly do pump classes, and cardio on my own. Today I also did the MedX weights.
    I do have a problem with my abdominal muscles, as I can't sit up forwards from a lying down position, and I find this difficult in pump when you are lying on the bench with a bar, and need to sit up somehow.
    I also have something weird going on with the lower left side of my back... almost like its still pelvic instability. I feel it most if I have done lots of movement/excercise, then sat or lay down for a while - and then when I stand up again is when I feel it, and sometimes I can't even put weight on my left leg/walk properly.
    I also have problems with eating too much... not necessarily bad food, but just too much!

Oh dear... I am a bit worried about being pg now... I definitely had some very light spotting and cramping around 6 - 7 days after DTD.
    Fingers crossed it is nothing...

Ashnant - good luck to you too hon.. hope you get the result you want!

Let downs - has anyone found that their let down can be quite painful? I know for the first few weeks I didn't feel it at all, but since then it has become stronger, and even painful at times, which I think is a bit weird?

Is anyone's bubby cooing and making noises? Eva has been vocalising with very small squeaks and coos at us since she was 6 weeks. I swear my son Aidyn didn't start vocalising anything till he was much older than that.

Ok, off to bed for me, Eva is down for the night, so I should too!

Hope everyone is well!

Thanks Ambah, hopefully everything works out for the both of us... !

Re Eva's noises - it might just be that because Aidyn is around you talk a lot more? I find the more i talk to Alex the more noise he makes. Especially if I 'monkey see monkey do' things like cooing back when he coos etc. So maybe just the extra noise is helping.

Hi all,

Jasper started cooing/making noises around the six week mark, mainly when we talk to him or are playing with him.

We haven't DTD yet, still a bit apprehensive, but flow has stopped and stitches healed so I suppose there's not much of an excuse anymore... DP is really patient, so that makes it a lot easier.

Ash and Ambah - hopefully it is a light form of (pre) AF.

Bun - Jasper luckily only has a period late afternoon when he doesn't want to sleep unless being held; I try not to pick him up too often to sooth him and I find that if I put him in his bed when I think he is tired/need to sleep, he cries for a while and then either drops off to sleep or lies quietly in his bassinet awake looking around. It is tough to listen to the crying, but the more consistent you are, the shorter the crying gets, and the happier everyone is.

Hi to everyone else - sorry, no time to do personals to everyone, little boy is crying...

Good Morning everyone,

We have had a lovely night. DD went to bed at 8.30pm slept till 3am fed and back in bed by 3.30am woke at 7am and back in bed abd asleep now!!! It makes it so much easier to have breakfast and get the boys organised and spend some quality time with them.
    We dtd at 3 weeks and then we both had food poisonuing so we haven't since!! Not for lack of trying on DH's part. I just don't feel like it at the end of the day with 3 kids. He thinks I have put him out to pasture PMSL. I will have to put him out of his misery soon but have my AF atm.

Prama -- re sleeping too much there is a link on belly belly for how much sleep is ideal. My DD only lasts a maximum of an hour and a half between sleeps atm. She generally will have bigger sleeps in the morning and then be awake with a couple of short naps in the afternoon evening. It also depens on the poo factor that will wake her up and throw her out of wack.

Hi to everyone else -- how quick has 6 weeks gone???
    Haven't heard from a few people in a while Jacqui where are you??? Hope everyone is OK

have a good day

Sue

Alexander went from Midnight to 7:30am between feeds last night.
    I'm so rapt, like, over the moon, can't flippin' believe it rapt, lol.
    He woke at six but i put his dummy in, he popped off a few times - obviously why he had woken up - then went back to sleep.

As DF is on a late work schedule he doesn't get home until 10pm ATM, so we generally get to bed around 12 or 1am. So Alexander fed originally at 10:30 or 11pm, then he had some playtime with Daddy, sat up with us while we ate, topped him up at midnight - and went to bed. Woohooo

Re: The holding - have you thought about a sling? I think i might have to get one, would make things so much easier when he is grizzly. And then i don't have to always take the pram to the supermarket either.

Sue - i hear ya on the 'six weeks gone fast' thing. ?Just thinking it was not so long ago that i was looking at him going "I can't believe you're mine". Ahhh... time really does fly.

ash - i have a hug a bub, i use it when we go for walks, i think it's got a switch, as soon as i put him in, he falls asleep LOL

Congratulations Ash! It is amazing how much better you feel after a good night sleep! Hopefully it is his new routine. And, by the way, I love your new photo of Alexander!

Prama - I think prams and carseats come with that particular switch as well!! Amazing how they never fail to put bubs to sleep... Love your photo of Lakshman too; amazing how quick they grow and change (and how cute they are when they are fast asleep...).
    Last edited by Esme; April 1st, 2008 at 10:42 AM.

Prama, are those hug-a-bubs hard to use? I was thinking of getting one, but they look so complicated!!

Ash, oh wow!!! a 7 hour sleep!!!! How devine!!! I hope that Alex sleeps like that again tonight for you!! Did AF ever arrive properly for you??

Sue, yep I cant believe that its been 6 weeks already!! When people ask me how old bubs is I always nearly go to say 4 weeks but have to stop and think, no hang on he is older then that..lol..

Ambah, good on you for getting to the gym and doing all of that walking! I wish I could be that motivated!! I am hearing ya on the painful letdowns, it makes me cringe somedays!! I cant get over how powerful it feels! Yep, another bub here cooing and carrying on..lol..I love hearing it! He chats away to his sister, and does big smiles when she giggles at him!

Roquen, so lucky that you are back to your pre-baby body!!! I am only 2 kg off my prebaby weight, its just the tummy I am really worried about..lol..will have to start the crunches soon methinks!!!

Jenjams, its great isnt it the feed play sleep routine? we have started it with Noah too and the difference in his sleeping is wonderful! He sleeps for longer which is so nice!!! But of course if we are out for the day its back to square one..lol..

Bun, we havent dtd yet either...bit of a fraidy cat at the moment and I havent started taking the minipill yet either, hopefully soon we will do it as I think DH is getting a bit toey..lol..

Esme, How did you go with the passport photos? Did they accept the ones that you took? Wow, the Netherlands, how many hours in the plane is that? I bet you cant wait!!!

All is well here, feeding at night roughly 9pm, 2am,5-6am still, which is good, I am getting used to it! if we dont go out in the mornings he will sleep for most of it, which I love!! Have to make an appt for our 6 week checkup this week, last week he was 5.1kg and 59.5cms, so doing well there! No AF here for me yet!! Tummy time is getting there slowly, he likes to chuck a little paddy first and then eventually lifts his head up..lol... hmmm what else...still breastfeeding but not exclusively, he has a formula bottle about every second day which DH normally gives to him, my boobs dont feel 'full' anymore, so I am presuming that they are making enough to suit his needs? My letdown is very strong, so thats reassuring as he only feeds for maybe 10 mins a side, and sometimes only takes the one side! I dont know how some mums feed for years and years!! I am exhausted just one and a half months.lol...

Hope you are all well!!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast