Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2007 #8

Hi girls,

Yep- Amelie loves her hands too - as well as anything she can stuff in her mouth- including other people's clothing, my shopping list and on Saturday she was trying to put a toy that has two balls on the end of a ring into her mouth both balls at once and stretched her mouth so wide, I couldn't believe it - hilarious! She has also discovered her feet now and loves to stand up on my lap and giving her a bath is more like a wrestle as she pushes off from the end of the bath so hard that she hits her head on the other side! But she has started touching her feet and looking at them a lot, which is very cute.

Megan - I wouldn't worry about thumb sucking at this stage, if it's what helps Lucas settle (ps- love the name Lucas - Amelie might have been a Lucas if she were a boy!). I have heard that a lot of thumb suckers grow out of it, before it becomes a problem (ie, when teeth might be damaged by it).

Amelie has her christening this week, so I have started cooking for it. We are trying to make it a reasonably small event (around 20 people), but this has caused a lot of friction with my mum. She carried on the same way for our wedding and I gave in and invited her friends as well - mind you, we've never seen them again, and I knew I was right, just couldn't face the argument. Well, this time I've stuck to my guns and am only inviting people Amelie will have in her life, not every relative we have. And yes, that means that some people that I'm close to won't be invited, but these will be Amelie's great aunties and uncles, so they're not that close to her. Ok, starting to rant and rave now, and believe me I could go on and on!! Anyway, hopefully Sunday will be a nice day and we'll all have a good time. I am going to attempt my first fondant iced cake (like a wedding cake style), which will probably be a lot of work, but hopefully it will be worth it. Only problem is that the recipes I can find for making the marshmallow icing all use Crisco, which is an American vegetable shortening (not solid like copha) and I can't seem to get it here- I'm wondering whether I'll have to use butter instead...hmmm....

Megan - thanks, that wasn't a ramble, it was a good perspective giver. I think that I'm just suffering from not enough sleep & I'm still not over my cold, which I'm totally over. I'm absolutely fed up with having to blow my nose every 2 minutes & with the coughing. If I'm fair to him, Liam settles himself really well most of the time, and when he doesn't there's always been a reason for it (burp, dirty bottom, cuddle), so I shouldn't complain too much.

Now I would love some advice from you ladies out there. I have my mothers group meeting at my place tomorrow afternoon. Aside from tea, coffee (instant) and water, if I have Orange juice to offer is that enough of a selection of drinks? I'm making some cupcakes & one of the other girls will bring a plate too, but I'm really bad at thinking of drinks, so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be much appreciated. I'm bad at the drink side cos I mostly only ever drink water and/or tea.

Hi Janno - I would have thought that that's enough selections for drinks. I'm not a tea or coffee drinker, but I would be happy with either water or OJ!

Hi Everyone,

Jan I agree, I think that's plenty of drinks. Hope Liam starts to sleep better sorry don't really have any advice!

Megan, I was a bit worried about using a dummy because of damage to teeth but a friend of mine was a dental assistant and she told me that dummies and thumbsucking can only do damage to teeth if they are used past 2 years. We won't give the dummy to Noah at that age so it won't be an issue. Thumbsucking is good because you don't have to worry about it falling out so you have to get up to put it back in but on the other hand it could become a habit that lasts past 2years whereas a dummy can be taken away. I'm not really sure of the ways you can stop children thumbsucking (if your bubs thumbsucked beyond 2yrs) Sorry none of this is probably any help probably more of hinderance but its the info I know that I can share.
    Last edited by Jas; October 29th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Megan76 Guest

Jas - thanks for the info! I don't think i'll worry yet cos really there is nothing i can do about it anyway, i cant hold his hands out of his mouth while he's in bed, or ever!! Will cross the bridge later if it continues too long!

Does anyone know when babies start to laugh? I think we might have had our first strange giggle tonight, it was hilarious!

Gotto go see who leaves on Aus idol.....

Megan, Zyon laughs & cracks up if you tickle under his chin/neck with your nose!!! Quite roughly, but also now if I make funny noises/faces he cracks up, in hysterics! Plus the girls sing & dance to him too, which has him laughing!!!

I'd not worry about thumb sucking either!

Yep, Megan- I'd say that was a laugh. Amelie is a giggling girt!! She chuckles quite often now.

Hi girls

Just another quick one from me - DH is still away so life is frantic hence my need to chill on the couch at the moment as all three are asleep.

Charlotte is also a giggler - it is so cute. Oliver and Jesse seem to make her laugh the most - quite often when they are trying to sit on her or when they grab one arm each and pull on them she cracks up laughing. I think she is going to be a tough one!

I will be back tomorrow as Oliver and Jesse are in childcare so I have a quiet day coming up - BIG YAY!!

Star - where did you have Amelie (only if you want to say LOL)? Just wondering if we both had our babes at the same place given we are in Adelaide (although I know there are a lot of hospitals to choose from).

Take care
    Jem

Hi everyone. DH has been home for past week and it's always harder to find time to post then - at Autumn's sleep times it's him and me instead of me and the computer I've managed a quick read through and everyone seems to be feeling positive which is great.
    We had Autumn's baptism yesterday and everything went really well though it's incredibly hot and humid ATM. I was worried that she would need a feed right in the middle of the service - and she did. We tried to get her through on a drink of water but that only lasted so long. Luckily she was happy with a few, quick minutes under a muslin and I don't think anyone even really knew, so I didn't get any looks of horror from the older congregation members Other than that, she was extremely well behaved, looked gorgeous and didn't mind her hair getting wet at all (it was probably a nice cool down I expect) We ended up with about 30 people plus children at our place for the bbq and with getting food ready, feeding Autumn and opening gifts (everyone was keen for it to happen 'right this second') I hardly got a chance to speak to anyone On the plus side, Autie didn't mind being passed around and I was sure that would upset her (and therefore me) and even did a huge cackle session which everyone thought was way too cute! Anyway, that's my news for the week.
    A couple of questions:
    When you speak of 8,9 or later bedtimes, do you mean they are having more awake time after feeding around 6ish, or are they just sleeping somewhere other than bed?

Can anyone recommend a particular sunscreen and/or insect repellant? I am especially interested to hear how the natural versions measure up as I'm not keen to put chemicals on her already.

For those who express - what times do you usually do it, and approx. how much at a time? I want to give it another go, but I'm worried it will take away milk she will be needing as I never feel like I have an oversupply...

Sorry it's been all about me, hopefully I'll have more time this week to be a bit more personal.

Gosh, you turn your back for two seconds....

(forgive the lack of personals...)
    Ben sucks his fists too, but is narrowing it down nor to just the thumb and index finger. He is always pushing them too far in and gagging!

Ben's bedtime is 7, but that means I feed him at 7 and he will be in bed anytime from 7.30 to 8pm.

I think the last three months of not more than 2-3 hours sleep in a row finally caught up with me this weekend. Saturday night was a killer and I was so tired. I cried almost every one of the 7+ times he woke up. I rang my sister in the morning (she is a MCHN) and she cheered me up, although told me that Ben's sleeping habits are completely normal Oh well. He had a better night last night. I think I need to accept the waking up and not wish for him to sleep longer.

Tonight was interesting, when I was feeding him to sleep he got REALLY agitated and cried and cried and milk was even coming out his nose, he was getting himself so worked up. So I took his wrap off to help cooll him down and he calmed almost immediately. I have put him to bed unwrapped (just in a sleeping bag) and he is still asleep 15 mins later. Normally his arms will flap about and he will wake up. Maybe he just decided enough was enough!

Hope everyone is having a good week.
    Mel

Morning!

Hey Jem, yep I don't mind you asking where Amelie was born- it was WCH. I was in the midwifery group practice (aiming for a natural birth), but ended up at the other end of the scale (having a c-section)! Where did you have Charlotte? What was her birthdate? (Amelie's was 13th July- trust her to be born on Friday 13th!!).

Sacha - I have the Banana Boat roll on sunscreen for babies (as it was the only baby sunscreen I could find quickly in the supermarket before we went to the shack for the weekend). It is in a pink bottle, but when I read the back it said it was suitable for 6 months +. We still ended up using it on the one day we went out in the sun with her, as I figured that she needed some protection on the bits of her skin that were exposed. She didn't get any sun damage (not that we were out for long) and no adverse skin reactions to the cream.

for starting off expressing, I'd do it about an hour or so after the first morning feed....

Zyon is pretty much awake from 5pm til 7:30, talking, playing on the floor or with the girls/DH etc...
    The girls are in bed by 8pm, then DH baths Zyon, I then give him both breasts & he is in bed by 9pm... Generally he then sleeps til anywhere between 5-7am

I was putting him down @ 7pm & dream feeding at 10ish, but I find ATM, the 9pm feed wprks better after the bath, plus getting the girls off to bed this suits us better..

Star - I had Charlotte at Burnside on 9 July. I have heard really good things about the MGP.

I will BBL to do personals. A friend is about to drop over and I need to do a quick run around to try and clean up the house!
    Take care
    Jem

Megan76 Guest

Hi everyone!

Not much to report. I have decided i am going to persist with Lucas' lunchtime sleep and not worry about the others just get him up, I don't want to spend my whole day getting him back to sleep! I started yesterday (when he woke up after 45 min) with patting him and he cried for 7 min (that was all i could handle!) with no response and wouldn't take dummy so i picked him up and he went to sleep, put him down and he woke up but after a bit of a struggle he found his hand and went back to sleep for another hour. I must admit he was alot happier last night having the extra sleep.....i was in his room for half hour but hopefully it will get shorter as the days go on. I have this "contented little baby" book that says not to give your baby more than 3 hours sleep a day or it interferes with night time sleep...i am sure lots of other books disagree though! Gee i am rambling lately!

Mel - i hope things get better with Ben, sleep deprivation is torture! Do you put him in his cot awake?

Have a good day!

Hi Megan, does that book mean 3 hrs of sleep total or 3 hrs at a time? Either way Alessia feeds usually 3hrly during the day and then will sleep 9 hrs overnight. What I've heard is that good sleep breeds good sleep. If Lucas wants to sleep, let him *hugs* I guess all babies are different (as is advice!) but I'm a big believer in following my bubs cues and if that means I pick her up when she's awoken, have a little cuddle til she falls asleep again, then so be it

Megan76 Guest

Fran - it means three hours sleep in total. Lucas doesn't do much more than that anyway. I have also heard sleep promotes sleep....it definately promotes happier babies anyway! I agree with just following thier cues. Sometimes i think i get too bogged down with what MHN, books, so called experts etc say rather than just following my gut. P.S Lucas was going to be Georgia if he was a girl!!

Hi everyone! Wow there is so much news on here i can bearly keep up! I'll start off with the bits and pieces that i can remember! Tom is obsessed with his hands at the moment and quite often gags himself sticking them both down his throat. LOL at the bulemia comment Megan! I quite often think that myself. He also sucks on anything he can get his hands on - the other day his dummy had fallen out while i was carrying him on my shoulder and he managed to get it back in, but backwards so he was sucking on the hard plastic handle. Just before i went into his room and he is sucking on his bed sheet. Weirdo..

Sacha - I love your picture of Autumn. She is gorgeous - she looks like a little doll! Tom's bedtime changes depending on who is home. If its just me, i put him down between 7-8pm. If his dad is home, he gets put into his cot about 10.30 after sleeping on the couch with Dale for a few hours. I was trying to be strict on bedtimes, but Dale misses him so much during the day, that its not really fair to take him away and stick him in bed!

Mel (Ben's Mum) - i hope you are feeling a bit more rested and ok. I have days like that where you just think i have never been so exhausted in my life - please let me lay down and sleep for a year or so!

Jan - i laughed at your comment about hubby asking bubs what is wrong. Dale does that too. He constantly says 'i just wish he could talk so he could could tell us what is wrong'. When Tom does start talking, if Dale every tells him to be quiet, i will remind him of that!

Megan - good luck with Lucas's sleeping. Its all so hard sometimes isnt it - you spend so much time worrying about how to make them do and are they getting enough, and please God let me have some more..! Soon they will be teenagers and we will be screaming at them to get out of bed!

Well, the weekend went well. I worked at my old job on sunday as they were relocating, so i helped shift stock. My god, i have never been so exhausted when i got home and i missed Tom much more than i thought i would. I dont think i have done so much psychical activity since before i was pregnant. Tom also had a bad nights sleep, and with the day light saving change i was buggered yesterday! We both had a little nanna nap on the couch. We have our first mums group today that hasnt been organised by the health centre, which should be good. We have arranged to meet in a park but the weather is starting to look a little yuk, so might have to change plans.
    Just a quick question - as i said Tom loves his hands and is struggling to get at them when he is wrapped. Do you think this is a sign that i need to stop wrapping him? The girls who dont wrap, do your babies wake themselves up by flinging their hands around at all?

:ms: BLERGH!! I feel soooooooooo sick. I dont know what I have come down with but it is disgusting and I feel like I am going to throw up and I have thrown up (on the way home from the gym didnt even make it to the gym!!) I hope whatever I have Avaleigh doesnt get but she probably will cause there is no way I can avoid her...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast