Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 16th - 31st 2008

Shell, i find it hard to have a set routine during the day because we are doing different things each day...
    Monday i see my parents, either here or at their place, tuesday is Mothers group in the morning 10-30-1pm and then i try to catch up with friends that arvo, Wednesday i spend the day at the factory, Thursday i see Mum (but she is in the UK ATM) and Friday is my day alone, but i usually catch up with friends then too.. the weekends are as they come. So as we are doing things in the day it is hard to have something firm.
    BUT we have a night routine that i try to stick to... she demand feeds during the day and the feeds get closer together in the evening, so from when DH gets home (about 6.30) she has cuddles with him and feeds when she needs, i bath her in the tummy tub or she has one with her Dad every night at about 7.30 or 8ish (she ahs a feed about an hr to 30 mins before), then i dry her, massage il into her feet and tummy, change her for bed and then another quick feed then bed for about 8.30pm. She will sleep staright through til anywhere from 3am-6am, at this time i give her a feed, shange her and put her back in her cot.
    We get her up at 7-7.30 and put her in our bed so she can have a chat and a play with her Dad before he goes to work.
    THe other thing i try to do is give her alone play time in her bouncer, so that she is not totally reliant on me or others for play (i do house wrk then or hop on here!) - she also figres things out for herself during this time and talks to her friends (we have put the wrist rattles on the bouncer upright bit and she can see the faces and she coo's and smiles at them )

Glad you are starting to get longer stretches of sleep... although your boobs will feel it, mine usually wake me!

have a great day everyone, im taking my sister and her DP to the airport this afternoon, they will be in Indo for 3 weeks travelling around... that means Mum and Nina will be away until June, i going to miss them heaps, Nina is over for dinner at least once a week and i will see her maybe another time in the week during the day... Molly loves her to bits too, its going to be weird without them around

PRAMA - no, they are only there for about a week, they are also going to jakarta, singapore and somewehere else... they are climbing a mountain and going to the royal salangor fctory somewhere... the shopping that they would be interested in the market sort of stuff not actual shops... they are budget travellers, but try and get a real taste of the area that they are in, not a touristy view - oh they are also doing a cooking course, possibly in KL and i am sooooo looking forward to the food that they cook when they get back - last year they were in Chang Mai Thailand and they thai food that they learnt to cook was amazing!
    Last edited by Sammiejane; May 13th, 2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Pramas post popped up

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Man I'm silly!

At 1:30am I was having trouble sleeping. Jazz was sound asleep and Matt was too. Then I heard Jazz do what sounded like a massive poo so I decided to get up and change/feed her. I opened her nappy to discover hardly anything, certainly nothing to warrent getting up to change her, it really could have waited until she woke up.
    During the feed she did it again. I changed her again and it was the same kind of thing...not a lot to speak of.

I'm so tired now and it's all my fault for waking Jazz up when I didn't really need to! At least though my boobs didn't feel as full when we got up at 7:30.

Hi girls!

Was so buggered yesterday, didnt have a chance to post.

SJ - If they go to Petaling Street, Chinatown they can get lots of imitation goods, hehe. Gucci watches etc for $10, t-shirts etc. but you must really really bargain and pretend to walk away!
    local food is great, Malay, Chinese, Indian, Western food, very cheap and there are restaurants and hawker stalls (it's safe) open 24hrs. That's why I love going home, i eat and eat and eat. they are everywhere.
    They could get a train or a light rail transit from Sentral Station in KL (that area's Brickfields which has yummy food too) and just take a ride and stop and have a look. In KL, they could go the Batu Caves, a limestone cave that has a Hindu temple in it. There are stairs of course. Chinatown and it's surroundings are very day to day. Of cos, most ppl also do the Twin Towers but that's touristy and i think expensive. I think the Selangor Pewter factory is a bit out of town. Ive never been there.
    Bukit Bintang area is a bit touristy but has some shopping centres, it's too crowded for me. We only go there to get imitation software etc. hehe. i'll think of other things!

shell - i had a fun time yesterday, we should do it again. hopefully the boys will get used to it and us too, not have to be on our toes all the time.
    jolly jumpers - we were told in our mothers group class that they were not recommended as they were dangerous, as the clamp posed a hazard and if it becomes dislodged it could hit the baby on the head or the baby could go flying.
    walkers - htey dont recommend the ones that they sit in and walk. it doesnt develop their backs etc, and they could fall down when it gets caught on the carpet, stairs, slippery surfaces like tiles, and ledges.
    also both of them seem to ahve babies on their tiptoes and that's not good for their walking development.
    they said the walkers wish they push is ok cos they use their feet properly and use thier body weight. but have to be careful with stairs etc.

i tried ahvign a routine but it always goes out of whack when we are out, feeding time, sleeping time. i also tried doing feed, sleep, play etc but it doesnt always work that way. i try to include tummy time, playmat time, nappy free time between feeds. i mean one of each at different feed times, not all once. but it's a bit hard sometimes when you're doing other stuff or he's not interested, and i get stressed that im not doing all the things for his development. so i play it by ear, sometimes i cant include all of it.
    like sj - we try to stick to the night routine. bath, feed in bed, cuddles with steve and me, and wrap and in his bassinet. we let him look at his mobile and laugh himself silly, then turn off the bedside light after 10mins if he's still awake and he usually just falls asleep.

i was going to write more but i forget. oh, one of the girls from the mothers group andi are trying to organise to go for mums and bubs movie. that will be fun, and interesting!!

trina - hope you're ok.
    Last edited by prama; May 13th, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Summer is pretty cranky and unsettled too the last few days, she woke up 3 times last night and hasn't slept today and doing monster farts that smell rotten hehe

No routine during the day as we are in and out so many times but have a feed, bath massage feed routine happening and sometimes play or book before bed depending how tired she is and if i want to keep her up a little later. She was sleeping from 7.30 or 8.30 to between 4am and 6am but the last few nights she hasn't so maybe a growth spurt. I don't mind too much just go with the flow, the other kiddies wake me up during the night as well so pretty used to it i think i am asleep half the time anyway.

Back soon cranky pants is calling, i never get to finish when i get on here then i forget what i was going to say when i come back on....

I've decided I'm going to try a routine for feeds. Jazz currently snacks every 1-2 hours so I don't get much done around the house. I want to try getting her to feed every 4 hours at specific times.

Im with you Trina, i do what she needs, if she is hungry i feed her, if shes not i leave her... After all i can only take her cues... the night time stuff too, she i s normally buggered by 8.30pm and although it is a blessing that she is sometimes sleeping until 6am i am sure that it will not last.

Danni - i tried getting her into a routine but she got really unsettled, it was awful. That book that Shell mentioned a couple of days ago - the vcontented baby or something like that, suggests that if you are going to do a strict routine to do 3 hours apart, but that also means that if you are not gong to cluster feed in the evenings, she possibly wont sleep as long. good luck

Thanks Prama, just got back from the airport, will email her with the details later... the cave sounds great!

sj - i agree, it's a bit hard w a strict routine. i thot i had a routine, but im similar to you girls, demand feeding, and have play but depends if he's happy or not. during the day, he sleeps at his own pace. i dont put him to sleep at specific times, only whenever he's tired. i guess thats my 'routine'.
    the contented baby book, according to one of the girls in our exercise class, gets you to feed etc. at specific times. i.e you must feed/sleep at 3pm, 6pm, 9pm etc. she said a friend of hers did that and always had a hard time going out etc.

Hey girls,

Hope you all had a great day. Mine was ok, ended up catching up with a friend this afternoon and her 4 week old baby so that was nice to get out and have a coffee and stroll around the shops. DJ was a little unsettled but I just needed to make sure I kept walking around the shops until he settled down. Bought some Infants Friend while I was out to try because Donnalix and Infacol drops are no longer working, he still gets really bad wind and that is what makes him so unsettled. This morning I had an argument with hubby, he is grumpy with a cold and just got really snappy with me and DJ. He was working from home today and DJ was really unsettled this morning and he told me to remove him from the lounge room, but I mean if he is working from home he should have just moved to the study so he is away from it. I shouldn't have to hide DJ away everytime his mobile phone rings. arghhhh anyway I am just a little peeved at my hubby at the moment, he no longer helps me around the house ie. cooking dinner or washing clothes etc. I am doing everything. I suppose I should just relax a bit and just be thankful he gives DJ hugs when I need a break.

re: routines - I don't have a set routine in the day either, just make sure he has a good sleep, but night-time I don't follow any set routine, it is just the same as the day, it is always demand feeding and make sure he gets a good sleep, lots of cuddles and play time. and the contented little baby book - a girl from exercise class said it wasn't that good to follow etc she is going to lend me the book next week so I will check it out in case it has any interesting or good advice.

SJ - do you give Molly Jane a bath every night in your routine? I have been bathing DJ every second night with a massage afterwards. That will be hard being without Nina and her DP and your mum being away, and I am sure they will miss you and Molly heaps as well, so just gives you something to look forward to for when they return.

Danni - I do the same - I think that DJ has done a massive poo and change his nappy with nothing there, so obviously just a massive fart haha

Prama - yeah I enjoyed myself too and yeah hopefully the boys can just get used to us shopping and next time I think I will bring a change of clothes not only for DJ but me in case of breastmilk throw-up haha

Trina - that is what I am going through with DJ he is soooo unsettled with his wind so I bought Infants Friend to give it a go, hopefully he will get some relief. But I think DJ goes through a growth spurt every few weeks as well and it makes him really unsettled. Hope you have a good night.

Well girls I am going to relax for a bit in front of the TV while DJ is having a sleep so have a great night, hopefully we all have a good sleep

Shell xxx

shell - hope DJ sleeps more, he might be waking up at night cos of his wind, im just guessing.
    glad you had a good catch up. it's hard,hey, always worried if they are going to be wet, hungry, sleepy, grumpy.
    i got upset with steve on sunday.. i really wanted a mothers day card, i didnt get a mummy card for my b'day either even tho i hinted so many times. he said he wanted to get me a present but hadnt had the time. i said i dont want a present, even if it was just a piece of paper that said happy mothers day from lakshman, i'd be reallyhappy. that's all i want. sometimes they dont understand. he's lucky im not materialistic and want expensive stuff. cos i told him i dont want a present later plus it's not mother's day anymore.he felt terrible afterwards. i also have been telling him for weeks that i wanted to go to newington as mother's day treat, there's a nice restaurant there that serve yummy mussels, and i havent had them for so long.he just thought i wanted to go just any day and didnt think of it at all.
    i mean im lucky that he helps with things, he cooks dinner most days, and does our washing on sunday ( i do poopy's stuff every other day) and he's mr. handy at home.
    but sometimes it's little things they dont listen.
    but he got me a little present today, one of those electronic frames. where you can upload digital pictures onto and it looks just like a frame.

could you talk to doni about helping at home again, you've had to look after dj so much since he's been away.

it's steve b'day this friday. i got him a card and a pair of knee length denim shorts, that's where i was when you thot i had left big w yest. i hope it fits else i'll have to go back to Rouse hill shopping centre, well, it's an excuse anyway! hehe. i thot he could use the shorts in malaysia.

trina - sorry dh is travelling again.
    din din time! and the budget! hope there's something int ehre for us. have to swap between that and australia's top model

Yeah Prama I know how you feel I got nothing for mothers day as well, and like you I would have been just as happy to receive a card as well. Mind you I should have known I wouldn't even get that because Doni isn't big on giving cards. He knows how dissappointed I was on Sunday so I think he will be making up for it on my birthday. As for helping out, I will wait until he feels better before he cracks it at me etc not in the mood for arguing.....

So far the Infants Friend has worked, he has settled to sleep and not making any grunting noises so I think he might finally get some relief phewwwwww I am also going to try and keep him on the breast longer, at least until it is completely empty because it was suggested in another forum that wind could also be related to having too much foremilk (so higher sugar content) and not enough hindmilk. Anyway I will keep him on the one breast for much longer before offering the second and see how that goes. Somtimes, especially in morning he only feeds for 5 mins because there is more milk.

We don't need an excuse to go back to Rouse Hill, we can make it a regular catch-up after the class on Monday if you like. It is just nice to get out of the house and talk all things babies

Shell xxxx

I've started to feed Lila every three hours. She seams hungry then anyway, starting around 7am then 10am give or take 10 - 20 mins or so. The first time I did it she had her last feed at 7pm and slept till 3am. That was amazing as she never did that before, that was 3 weeks ago. Then she ends up feeding every 3 or 4 hours after that long break. Tonight I thought I would try and give her a top up at around 9 and see if she would go through till 5 instead. My job during my pregnancy I woke up to go to work at 2.30am anyway, so any time at night is not to bad for me to feed.. I guess I am lucky she is not a night baby given what I used to do for work!.

shell - i hope you get something special for your birthday! yup, steve's not big on card giving either. at least he gave me french toast in bed.. Hope Doni gets better soon.
    glad DJ is better! yaay!!!

kanda - hehe Lila must know your work routine!

im having feeding problems again! im feeding him all the time on the boob now, except when im out. he sucks a few times then unattaches, i have to put him again and then sometimes he falls asleep, and just 'nibbles', then the whole process of attaching him again. after about 20mins i switch him, and the same thing on the other side. he still seems hungry, so i top him up with formula. i dunno if this is affecting his weight.
    my mum just told me that i was a skinny baby too.

I find the donnalix works well before the wind becomes a prob but not as well when they have it already so i give it to her before she goes to bed, fingers crossed she sleeps well tonight the poor thing is sooo tired.

Men don't get it most of the time they are def different creatures to us you just wait until your little boys make their own card for you it will make up for all the times your DH forgot before. Paige wrote in my card saying she loves me cos i'm me awwwww its better than any gift. Yep i'm like you shell avoid arguing at all costs. Although today at soccer i could have ripped into someone stupid b*&$#!!! Some people should wear a muzzle. Anyway won't go into that hehe

I am off to bed, feel very tired.

Wishing you all sleep tonight

Will sort of made his own routine and he feeds every 4 hours or so. The health nurse suggested I wrap him again to breast feed as he gets so very distracted and its working a dream. I am lucky I dont leak and my boobs dont get engorged and yet he empties me completley when he feeds. He has a top up 3 tims a day with formula and has done since he was 4 days old in the hospital. WIll wakes at 6.30 ish his dad gives him a full formula feed and I go back to sleep. His bassinet is moved out of our room and after some play he is back in bed about 8. He wakes again at 10.30ish is kept wrapped for booby then has a top and tail every second day or a bath on the other days.He then has play time and a top up depending on time of day before he sleeps again feed again about 2.30ish same routine maybe a walk then dinner feed about 6.30 to 7 depending on if we have been out. He plays until 8ish then has booby and a top up. He usualy sleeps from about 8.30 through to 3 and then so it goes. ONly time he wakes upor fusses earlier is if he hasg otten his hands out of his wrap. Having said all this he ended up topping up at 12 last night then sleeping through to 5.30. He doesnt usually vary so hugely bit we had bigday out.
    We are off to our first mothers group today am abit nervous being an older first time mummy I hope it wil be ok at least I have 2 other friends also abit older who we can from our own little group if its not so good.

trina - cant wait for poopy to make me a card!!

bron - i thot the same too, that i might be the oldest in our mothers grp. some of them are young, others are older. I know one girl said she my age too. I think most of them are in their 30s, so not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiejane View Post
    Danni - i tried getting her into a routine but she got really unsettled, it was awful. That book that Shell mentioned a couple of days ago - the vcontented baby or something like that, suggests that if you are going to do a strict routine to do 3 hours apart, but that also means that if you are not gong to cluster feed in the evenings, she possibly wont sleep as long. good luck
    I'm still planning to do cluster feeds after I've had dinner, there is no way I plan on stopping that while she still wants it.

Hey Girls - how are things going with little ones???? i saw the LC yesterday and she was fantastic - i loved that she did not enforce anything on me but acting more like a support system...my latching on was good just have to turn his head more downwards so i dont see his lips and im fine using nipples shields - apparently they DO NOT DECREASE the volume of the milk.... the olden style nipples shield did but we have come a long way.... anyway i just have to add an extra feed, changed to a different nipple shield and the milk was flowing - although im still on motilium and slowly weaning off + on fenegreek....to top it off i am drinking so much its not funny. Also went to the pediatrician today and monkey had grown 2.5cm in length... he can do better in weight but the doc was happy.... you cant grow in length and width...(he said) lol he is so long and i also went to playgroup today which was fun....Shell/Prama were do u girls go to playgroup....

Another note grls if ur interested apparently we have more of the high milk in the arvo and the baby may require more feeds before he goes to bed than during the day... i can write up an average schedule that the LC gave me if u want - let me know...

hi ania! glad you got good feedback from the LC! im glad it's giving you a piece of mind.
    would appreciate the schedule.
    we were always told that nipple shield reduces your milk supply.
    i think im not drinking enough water, that's probably one of the reason my milk supply is a bit low.
    it's not a playgroup, it's a mums and bubs exercise class. we do cardio, weights etc. like we walk the pram really fast (i try to keep up!) around a track, then we do other exercises etc. it's up at stanhope gardens so not too far from you.

i got a reply from westmead private regarding the complaint about the b!tchy midwife. it was from the Director of Clinical Service, and she was most apologetic and said that the midwife was apologetic etc. and they will continue to work with her to ensure that she communicates well.
    that's the most i expected from them, im glad the director apologised and the midwife got into trouble. i still hate her, tho im not a person to hate anyone.

ania who was your ob at westmead private?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast