Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008 #2

expressing and typing w 1hand, so short post!

welcome catherine!!!!

lisa - wow, well done w his schedule!

jade - sorry hun, i know its frustrating that he wont sleep or lie down by himself. i cant do anything and my RSI is getting worse. Im seeing the nurse today, will ask her... dunno if it will help..

bron - woo hoo!!!!!! well done!!!

trina - sorry dh has left and you're back to single parent..does he travel always?
    wikll ask nurse abt water.

had trouble putting him to sleep again last night. he falls asleep, in our arms and as soon as you put him down, he's wide awake and screaming...;(

Welcome Cathrine and Flynn!!

Molly Jane went down at about 8.30 last night and i didnt get woken for a feed until 2.30am Woo hoo! means i got a great sleep (in bed by 10.30 and literally asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow!)

Our 'routine' goes something like this...

7.30 up and cuddles with Dad
    8-9am feed burp, change feed
    9.30 - wash and change for the day (maybe another feed)
    9.30-10am - down for a sleep
    12 -2 - wake up sometime in this period then feed and play
    4pm feed and sleep again (hopefully)
    6pm-8pm play, bath, cuddles with Dad and possibly 2 feeds
    8.30 - story in rocking chair then bed
    midnight-2am- wke for a feed
    5am- grizzlying, usually wind, burp, feed, change, feed, burp then back to sleep
    then its 7.30am again and we do it all again!!!

I do find though that if we have 'outings' or people visiting this is disrupted and she gets more cranky.
    Trina, jade, teach and those other mummy;s with outer kids - just writing this makes me wonder how you do it with other kids to consider. I guess it becomes a juggling act!

How do you give the water? such a small amount, im guessing dropping it into mouth?

water doesnt wk 4 everyone but worth a try you can put 20ml in a bottle or use a dropper or medicine cup.

its hard to feed and type hey

so you give them 20ml (not instead of a feed) in the bottle and it helps with wind?

can anyone recomend a bottle which really reduces wind intake???

i have just given summer 10mls so will let u know how we go she is so windy i can feel her tummy gurgling.

hi girls..
    im just back fr the mw.
    she said you dont really need to give water cos foremilk has lots of fluid, so im not sure.
    im using infacol, she said try tat for a week, else try Brauer's colic. its supposed to work better w the bacteria in the tummy.

im a bit upset, lakshman just took the boob this morning and he didnt seem hungry for formula so i was very happy. then the mw weighed him and said he's at the bottom of the range.. im so upset. i have to keep topping up w formula.
    im going to ask his paed if the range is a WHO standard or Australian standard.. he might be taking after me, as non-Anglo Saxon babies tend to be a bit smaller..

The water is purely for wind and only a teaspoon or 2 its another thing that one midwife will suggest and another will tell you not to, i have tried it with the other girls and has worked sometimes plus it's free which is a bonus...

another tip apparently is to give them a bath as it helps the wind go into one bubble....

I can't use infacol yet as Jake is only 2 weeks and it's only to be used on infants a month or older

i'll try water, can you give it any time or before a feed?

Hi girls, I keep meaning to introduce myself here, just waiting for things to settle at home so I can take my time!

I just wanted to pop in and say quickly to Lisa that my Jake is only 9 days old and right from around day 3 I gave him Infacol as we had some terrible windy days while milk was coming in. It does say to check with your GP so if you are worried but still want to try it just check with your GP first. It worked for us!

Anyway I must go while the house is quiet, will pop in and introduce myself a bit better when I feel more organised and have more time. Look forward to getting to know you all!

xxx

Finally had the chance to stick in a new birthday ticker with a pic..

Welcome Bec, and anyone else i've missed over the past few days. Wow its been absolutely crazy hectic...

I'm sorry i've lost track of some of the posts so i don't have a clear picture of whats going on with everyone.

Prama, you're having such a tough time hun I realy feel for you. Just remember, like it says in your signature 'From little things big things grow'

SJ, it sure is a juggling act! i've just gotta keep reminding myself that things will get better. THe hardest part of it all is that when DH is at work i have no chance of a nap during the day when Ryan's asleep. I have to get all my sleep over night, which is of course really hard during the day if i haven't slept enough its extremely hard to cope. I've actually been wondering if i have postnatal depression but really i think its all sleep related. I can go for a week maybe a little more with not much sleep but further then that and i turn into an absolute monster.

Trina, i really feel for you aswell hun with your DH gone. I know i could not do it without mine around, you're so brave to cope so well!

How on earth do you girls get your little ones to sleep in a cot?? none of mine did until they were at least 6 months, they were all in either a pram or rocker permanently so we could rock them to sleep.

As hard as it is with Ryan awake so much, he gives his rewards aswell. We've had quite a few smiles out of him, and they're those gorgeous big open-mouthed grins too.
    I've been watching so many movies during the day for something to do since i have no hands free generally all day. Lots of girly movies... i've seen just about every Jane Austen remake there is i think... ooh, also just got into a new TV series 'The Tudors' dunno if anyone else's heard of it. I think it might only be on foxtel at the moment, not sure, but its out on DVD anyway and i've become quite addicted to it.

I don't know Jade....I've always put him into his cot and he's gone to sleep

Jade can you see someone to help you with ideas to settle him? I went to a day stay centre with Paige as she was impossible to settle, I would have to rock her or hold her all the time and so she couldn't fall asleep without it so it was a bad cycle they helped alot but she still woke up several times a night for over a year. I know how hard it is with other kids, adds so much more pressure and stress. If you are feeling like it is too much maybe you should talk to someone about it just to rule out post natal depression hun. Big hugs to you
    Summer is in a cot now and she is pretty good, she is a little unsettled in the last few days so wants more cuddles but when i put her down, she likes to be on her side and i just pat her butt or stroke her head until she relaxes and closes her eyes which is never longer than a couple of mins. I have put a couple of towels down one end of the cot so she is a little elevated too. And Ryan is soo cute love the pic xox

I haven't been able to do much today, Summer wasn't too happy and when she finally went to sleep i had to wake her up an hour later to pick the girls up and then again to do the rounds for music lessons so by the time dinner time rolled up she was very cranky and overtired, seems to happen every afternoon now the witching hour and she just wants booby and the girls are starving and going crazy ARRRGGGHHHHH! I get a headache every afternoon now......

Im off to the couch while all kids are in bed xo

Angry

Hey ladies. Beware of long sob story below. Felt I needed to vent.

Prama, On the infacol topic, I gave DD1 infacol from 2 weeks to help ease the pain. GP gave aok. Also just a side note, From what I have been told, its not advisable to give a newborn water, especially if they are not feeding well. It messes with their appetite and feeding patterns. For wind try lying him face down on your knee or arm with head to side and rub their back. It works wonders for both my little munchkins. Gravity helps get it out. I had the same trouble too with DD2. She is wanting to snuggle rather then sleep in her bassinette. Which makes her snack feed. So what I do is express milk and bottle feed her to know she is taking a good 60mls at least. Then I put her down cuddling a rolled up towel on her side. I prop her up pretty good on her side, and she feels like she is cuddling and goes right to sleep. I know the whole sleep on back thing for SIDS is important, but my mother did it with all four of us, and it has worked a treat for both my littles. If they do bring anything up in their sleep, at least they are on their side (propped up so they can't go on tummys) and won't choke. Just my suggestion. HTH. It is such fun isn't it?

I ate DH's choc prune brownies the other day and I found it gave DD1 the runs through my breastmilk!! Poor little love. And ahhh such dramas with family stuff atm. My mum is up here helping me until Monday. She had a go at DH for not helping bring in the shopping last night and it just snowballed from there. He did not like being told off in his own house. Male ego blah blah blah. Then this morning my mum apologised in her own thorny way, by saying " I am sorry about last night....it's just I am used to my husband being considerate. He is my knight in shining armour." I watched in horror as his face twisted with rage. I asked him to let it go, thoroughly annoyed that my mum had to go and tack her little unwelcome snidiness on the end of that awful apology. Of course then, he asked her to leave and not come back. He also said that he would pay her $1000 for her help so far. He took off to pull the money out. In the meantime I am balling my eyes out, and telling my mum not to go. I sent her over to my brothers house across the road so we could have world war III. I explained that as insulting as my mum was to him, he should be more tolerant, as she was here helping me. He had no right to boot her out, as this is OUR house not his.Also of course he was so rude in attempting to pay my mum off like some slave for hire.
    His mother says awful things to me and he never defends my line, nor do I react the way he did. I keep quiet in order to keep the peace and harmony and consider his feelings.
    Argh. So he is staying away until mum goes on Monday. He realised that he should put his feelings aside so that I could the support I need for just these few days. But Man am I angry and tired from the days events. He has gone away, but now I am copping mum going on and on about how awful he is and how I should've married that guy I was seeing 6 years ago!!!
    Has anyone else ever had these dramas?? I hate being stuck in the middle of all this BS. What a time for this to happen.

Hi all,

Wow ... there's so many in this thread! You must excuse me if I don't do personals just yet, I'll hold off till I get to know you all better. Thanks for the welcomes that I've received.

Have a question for you ... do any of you have any tips for increasing milk supply? Up until yesterday (wed) morning I was producing milk ok as I could express 80-125ml within 20-30 minutes. Then, I got up yesterday morning and for the past almost 48-hours, I've been struggling to express 60ml in an hour. I'm expressing as Cam gets very stroppy and/or lazy on the breast and he needs to regain the weight he lost after birth.

I absolutely can't work out why my milk supply has decreased . I've been expressing approx 7-8 times a day (and have had Cam on the breast where possible). I read where Fenugreek (spell?) tablets can help increase milk supply, so I've been taking those for 24 hours, plus drinking lots of water and milk and eating eggs, cheese, avocado etc (good fats). I've been stressing a bit about it today - had myself a wonderfully self-indulgent sook this afternoon in fact, but I'm lucky that I've got a very supportive DH. I ended up buying formula just to be on the safe side (I don't want to get 'caught' with a hungry babe and a very low milk supply at 3am). I gave Cam a bottle of formula tonight to see how he'd go, and he took it fine. But, I'll keep expressing and trying Cam on the breast at the start of each feed, and hopefully we'll turn the corner soon and my milk will increase. Amazing how BF comes reasonably "easy" for some, and is so incredibly difficult for others. I reckon I'm somewhere in the middle as long as my supply picks up. At least there's hope of getting Cam on the breast full time.

Anyway, any tips about increased milk production would be warmly welcomed. Otherwise, our little man is a delight. He sleeps quite well, although he does suffer a little bit of wind. I've given him gripe water on a couple of occasions, and that does seem to help a bit. I broke two of my "golden rules" within three days of bringing Cam home - he now happily sucks on a dummy and I also bring him into our bed for an hour or two if he's particularly unsettled during the night. So much for my 'no dummy' and 'no sleeping in our bed' policy. I now think 'whatever works and gives us all sleep!".

From reading through the thread, it seems all our bubs have their own little quirks and habits. I have to admit, when Cam's peaceful in my arms, I could just watch him for hours. Imagine I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Take care all,
    Andie

ps: Reenie - I was at mater mothers private hospital. The care that Cam and I received was absolutely excellent and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Reenie,
    Hun, just saw your post. Huge hugs to you. Hope things get better on the homefront, you do not need the stress either one of them is putting on you - especially right now. I've had some similar issues with my DH and my parents, but they're all working on understanding each other a little better and being more tolerant. Good luck.
    Andie

Thanks for that AndiE. It helps to have some sympathy

Was just going to suggest you give the ABA (Australian breastfeeding association) A call. (03) 9885 0653 It is 24 hour hotline to give support and advice. Either that or see a lactation consultant. I know there are tablets you can get through your GP that increases your milk supply. I can't remember the name of it, but I knew a couple of women that took it and it made all the difference. There can be lots of reasons why your milk supply dropped today. Stress can be a factor. Amongst other things. I would at least chat to your doctor about it and see what they suggest. Also keep pumping to tell your breasts to produce more. I would do it every half an hour to an hour as time permits. It might not be getting much out now but it can make all the difference in 24 hours. HTH xoxox

Sorry ignore this space posted twice by accident
    Last edited by Reenie; March 27th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast