Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2008 #3

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Just bought a babysling. Matt thinks it's a waste of money because I have one of those old types that can only be worn in 2 ways, front or back with bub sitting up. Ah well, he's not the one who carries her around all day! Now I'm happy coz I can carry her in a much more natural and comfortable position(s) and I can use the sling to BF in public. She seems to love it!

When I pick up the casts I'll post a picture. I would give the website but I don't think I'm allowed to post a link.

Wow you guys move fast! It's so hard to keep up so I apologise if I forget anyone.....

Well finally after 9 days we have poo! I've been blessed with two today, so yay! I feel very relieved as I'm sure Jake does! Had him weighed yesterday and he was up 250g in 8 days, so phew!

Jake seems to have days where he'll only sleep for like 15 minutes at a time, and then the next he'll have huge 3-4hr sleeps to catch up! As a result my back is getting terribly sore from all these days he is unsettled. I have a sling but I hate the way he seems to sit in it, he looks so uncomfy. So I'm working on the funds for a hug-a-bub, they look great.

Oh damn! There he goes again, not going to get the post in I was hoping for! Will try to get back later ladies!

xxx

Health nurse just came and Will has put on 500g in two weeks so am happy about that :-) She will come back at 8 weeks to the house to give him his first needles which is great I dont have to shlep him in and out of the car after a needle. He came into work with me today for my birthday cake and he is such agood boy he put up with all these cackling woman loads of noisy kids and 4 hours out and is now sleeping soundly.
    I am however in desperate need of a sleep am relay feleing it today need to soal in the bath andsleep for 10 hours... *L* so I can dream cant I.
    AM loving the new pics peeps are posting.
    shell good luck with nurse lokoing fwd to hearing how dj is doing for you.
    robbo I love your babies name ( I am a huge entourage fan and ari fan from there *Lsounds like your milksure is doing its job
    sj what a great suprise and special thing fo ryour friend to do I really hop eyou enjoy the time with her.
    *L* prama I love it when you call lakshman poopy lucky you going for a swim I would love one good for you I hope you really enjoyed it.

hmm I dont have a sling but it sounds liek you girls love them so wil have to go check them out.
    OK got to go do some washing hope its a good day
    YAY becstar for the poo who woudl have thought we woudl get so excited over it *L* wel ldone
    Bron xxx

DJ weighs 4.1kg which is what I expected, mind you I thought he would be heavier, because his head weighs more.... His head has grown 2.5cm since birth, so that explains why his head weighs so much kehehee So overall he has put on 900g since he was discharged from hospital which is pretty good over a 3 week period She said I am doing everything well, and said I should try to cut down on the expressed bottle feeds at night to 2 only, instead of the full 3, because it will help with my milk supply etc. I am going to try a different way of breastfeeding tonight - laying down in bed, see how it goes, that way I don't have to get up. I also asked about a mothers group and she said to call another centre for one. There is one 10 mins drive starting in May as well. I was about to type something else that she said but totally forgot what it was ahhh baby brain!!!

Bec - the community nurse said babies can go for 1-2 weeks without poo'ing so that is totally normal, but I am sure you were happy to see poo in his nappy

Bron - that is a great weight gain as well I forgot to ask about the immunisation with community nurse but I plan to go to the baby clinic every 2 weeks to get DJ weighed so can ask them. I know what you mean about wanting to sleep, I soooo need some sleep but I have an appointment at optometrist for contact lenses and will need to leave in the next 30 mins arghhhhh

Well girls, speak to you all soon
    Shell xxxx

To the girls who dont get poo everyday or for a few days, I'll swap ya! Jazz is starting to poo less but still has one almost every nappy change.

I do have a question though, how often do you check nappies? I only do them before a feed and if I know she's pooed during the feed I'll do it again after. The nappy is always at least wet before a feed.

caffine = none
    alcohol = none

had a few boob feeds but my nipples are so sore now I can't feed again we will see how we go after a few days

Just did a feed with the sling...wow! That was great! I didn't need to "hold" Jazz coz the sling supports all her weight, didn't need a pillow, all I had to do was lightly hold her head so she didn't fall off the boob. Also, I was even able to walk around while feeding with great ease and no interruption to Jazz. And, she nodded straight back to sleep when she was done, normally I'd have to hold her for ages to get her to settle. I've just left her in the sling, she's happy and sleeping, I'm happy coz I am hands free!

I also (just for a second) tried wearing her on my back, I like that as well coz then I don't have her in the way while cooking etc.

Oh and the caffene and alcohol thing: I have never been a big coffee/tea drinker, only occasionally (like maybe once a month), that hasn't changed. I do drink coke though, almost once a day if we have any.
    Alcohol: I've had 2 glasses since Jazz was born. I didn't bother expressing, I figure one glass now and then wont hurt. I have to admit that when she's really, really unsettled I'll have a glass and it does actually help to settle her.

Who is starting to get real smiles? Jazz has always smiled since day one (I know it's smiling coz it's different to the wind look). But jsut this week she's starting to smile as a reaction to something positive, like me smiling at her or kissing her. She looks me in the eye and smiles.

Thought I'd edit this post rather than writing a new one.

I had jazz on my back while I ironed a shirt and then slid her back to the front. She is still sleeping! I'm officially in love with my sling! I think for the first time since I've had Jazz home I might actually get a chance to cook and eat dinner before she starts screaming for attention which she always seems to do when I start to eat.
    Last edited by danniellabella; April 9th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

hi girls,

i introduced myself here a few weeks ago and then soon after our computer decided to stop working ! we got a new one last friday and it has taken me that long to read what you have all been up to lol

Prama: how are you going ? i was thinking about you and your guilt with feeding problems and i just wanted to say, just picture yourself walking into a big westfield shopping centre, when you look around at the people can you tell who was breast fed and who was bottle fed ? of course not, don't beat yourself up so much, you do what is best for the both of you and as someone else said once you make that decision it will be like a weight is lifted from your shoulders and you can relax and enjoy your little man.

Andie: how is Cam's eye going ? and how is his jaundice ?

on the pooing issue, our little man hasn't gone for about 5 days now but i remember it was like this with his sister, she would go about once every 10 days and that was entirely normal for her.
    he is suffering badly from wind though, well we all are as he doesn't sleep well, if fact the only place he tends to sleep well at night is flat out on my chest or cuddled up in my arms, we have given him a natural remedy but im not convinced it makes any difference, again i remember this with DD so im sure it will right itself in time.

does anyone have/use the angelcare monitor or something similiar, im thinking about getting one, particularly as James sleeps better on his tummy at the moment, of course i only let him do it when we are awake and watching, but i have to say i am more than a little paranoid of something happening to him.

also i wanted to ask if this happens to anyone else.....when i feed james in the bed at night, i just lay him down beside me and lay on my side but when i feed like this the milk runs out his nostril on the side he is laying, i know all the nose throat passages are linked but it looks weird, im surprised any makes it to his tummy sometimes ! doesnt worry him at all, he continues to suck and swallow, it drips constantly and sometimes literally runs out !
    Hayley: Ari sounds like he is stacking on the weight well ! over 5 kgs already !

Reenie: how are things going with the family ?

Melinda

melbell I have an angel care monitor and it helps me sleep so much better. I often quickly open my eyes to see if the light is flashing durin gthe night still but it really puts my mindat ease. It definatley works as we have set it off a few times. We have an internal window that I can see the monitor through and also the portable angel that has great range.

Melinda - can relate to you on the wind issue..... DJ gets really bad wind. We find the Infacol drops work well, we did use gripe water but it didn't fix the problem. Seems everytime we give him the infacol drops before a feed he clears alot of wind. So, maybe give that a go. DJ still has alot of wind but it defintely passes after we give him the drops, he farts like crazy when I feed him now haha

Danni - I check DJ's nappy before a feed as well, and sometimes after a feed with his wind problems he farts and poos during the feed. Oh and yeah we are getting real smiles as well, such a cute smile as well, now we just need to try and capture it on camera.

I am soooo tired tonight, going to stay up and do one last breastfeed then express for 2 early morning feeds, and get hubby to feed him once for me in the early morning so I can get some sleep tonight. I could rest up now but I am at the overtired stage so just having a decaf tea to get me settled and ready to sleep haha

Oh and I remembered what the nurse said as well, she said to try and feed DJ more frequently during the day and then he will sleep more at night, so I will increase his feeds during the day so I can try and get some sleep at night keheee well it is worth a try. Tried the formula at night and he still only sleeps 3 hours. So can't wait for him to sleep for a good solid 5 hours Bring it on!!!

Got my contact lenses this afternoon, I decided to drive myself to optometrist, left DJ at home with hubby and it was sooooo nice to be out by myself. Feels much better wearing my lenses as well. I just won't drive too often over next two weeks, just short distances and not with DJ because the pram is too heavy.

Well better go relax a bit

Shell xxxxx

Hi everyone,
    its been bus in here so will try and remember everything...

I drink no alcohol at all, dont really see the point, planning on going out son and having a sitter, have expressed enough milk to cover when i am out plus one extra feed as i will express after drinking (if i have any) and chuck it out...
    Drink about 2 cups of tea on the morning... did the same in pg.

Got my 4 week appoint tomorrow (was meant to be last week) looking forward to having Molly Jane weighed, bet she is at least 5kg!
    Mothers group starts next tuesday - looking forward to that

Molly Jane's wind has settled, i gave her 5mls cooled boiled water before each feed, i then cut it down to 2.5 mls and now give her nothing or maybe on dose a day, she is not pooing as much but is farting more freely now and looks less distressed - i would definatly be using boiled water again.

We have a baby sense monitor - it is the best thing that i have bought, it doesnt have a temp sensor but we have a grobag egg which is better and it doesnt have a sound monitor either but we just bought a cheap one for when we need to use it.
    I can tell you that the baby sense monitor fantastic and sooooooo good to reasure you that everything is OK. We didnt get the angelcare as we had heard that ceiling fans can trick it and we use our seiling fans alot. this is not fooled by anything!
    Like Bron, if Molly Jane has been quiet for a while or i am worries, all i do is check that the light is flashing and i dont go near her, so she is not disturbed. Honestly we are so happy with it, forgotten a couple of times to switch it off and the alarm is nice and loud, but not too loud to be scary.

Getting real smiles here too and also she is turning to our voices, she has een looking for me for a while, but she now looks around to find her daddy too.

Trina, sorry, i feel so awful that i gushed about my friend arriving, I think that it is sad that people have not been to visit you. If you were closer i would be over, and we ould have a great big whinge session and tell each other how cute our girls are!!!
    I too feel a bit isolated, DH is working so much (although at least he comes home at night and is not travelling) that he is only home for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour before Molly jane goes to bed and then he is often back to work. Most of my friends have not been to visit, some of my closest friends too, they only live 5min drive away too.

Last 2 previous weeks were really emotional, not over Molly Jane at all which was good, in fact she helped, so i would go and pick her up when i was down. hard to explain what i was feeling, sad but not for a reason. much better this week, but only one day lest with Biz and then it is back to reality.

Nappy changing - i change in between feeds as she falls asleep after the first side. I also try and change her every 2 hours if she is awake and not demanding a feed.
    I have a bit of a thing about wet nappies, probably the nurse in me.
    Couple of people have said not to change her over night as it will wake her too much, but i have to to get her to have a a full feed and also i cant bare not too. The BBH are great though and combined with a liner (i use flushables) she is rarely damp on her skin (but can be a bit smell if it have been a while - like when she sleeps for 5-6hrs straight)
    She she sleeps 5-6 hours i really just want to change her bum, i cant stand knowing that she is wet.
    I read somewhere that when they are newborn they will wee approx every 20 mins, that time will stretch, but yeah, i dont like it at all.

i think that is it. hope eveyone is good

Don't feel bad SJ i am so happy for you that your friend came all that way. I feel better that it isn't just me that is feeling down at times.

We might be going away end of May which will be nice, even though it is a guilt motivated gesture.... Found out not long ago that DH is going to Spain with a bunch of mates for a regatta in June..... Would be nice hey? All that money and i need a bigger car, bigger house.

Hayley i am going to the long jetty health clinic i went there with DD3 also.

Shell i have one coffee a day and a few cups of tea during the day, the same as when i was pg. I have had maybe 3 glasses of wine since i had summer, don't really feel like it too much not sure why cos i used to love the odd glass.

School hols next week, looking forward to having a bit of time off being a taxi driver to school. Going to venture to Taronga Zoo, Tahnie hasn't been so really want to take her.

Hope you are all having a nice day.. Im trying to get some washing dry with this nice warm day.. And of course lots of cleaning/folding of washing to be done

trina- it will be nice for the whole family to get away.
    how long will DH be away in spain?

shell - hope you got mt pm re LCs, BB was getting upgraded yest

I've been lurking a little and not posting, soooo tired, but its reassuring to find similar things happening with you girls and your little ones that are happening with us.

Madison has come out in shocking baby acne, I don't remember it being that bad with Piper but it isn't bothering her. But I feel bad stroking her little face and its all rough But I know it will get better soon.
    She doesn't poo every day, maybe every 2-3 days and has gone from having very little wind problems, to having a session every day between about 6pm-9pm where she has to be held and rocked. I think she's having us on LOL because when she's being held, she'll be a little restless but does settle so the pain can't be too bad.

She is sooo alert now. We've been having smiles for a couple of weeks but now the eye contact is amazing and the responses are more predictable. Like blowing raspberries at her always elicits a smile and almost a giggle. LOL so cute.

She is also awake for longer periods during the day and feeding heaps, feels like constantly but probably more like every hour and a half - 2 hours. But each feed is only about 10 minutes so not too bad. I've tried feeding her for longer but doesn't affect the time in between so I think she's getting everything she wants at the feeds. Maybe she's just thirsty because its been quite humid here the last week or so. She sleeps ok at night with at least one period of about 4-5hours, which would be good for me if I went to sleep at the same time LOL but I like staying up and doing my thing (computer, TV etc)

I haven't had a CAFS nurse out yet to weigh her which should have happened at five weeks. Apparently they are busy but had her weighted at GP's the other day because we went with colds and she's about 4kg. So she's little but Piper was always in the 25th percentile so not worried.

Miss 3 is still acting very babyish. Its a bit frustrating when she babbles and we can't understand her. We baked some little cupcakes today and she's been a bit more like her old self so I think she'll get over it, sooner rather than later hopefully.

Prama - and anyone else feeling low, please pay attention to your feelings. I have a history of depression and have been on medication for about 9 years, including my pregnancies. Being aware of how your feeling and acting on it is the best way to stay on top of these things. The hospital we went through has mental health mid wives and I've had some contact with them to make sure I don't get PND. They've called me every two weeks just to make sure I'm ok. Luckily I haven't suffered with it with either girl so far and I think its through being aware of signs and knowing theres backup if needed. Hope things get a bit easier soon.

I think I've babbled on long enough lol
    Talk soon.

I'm not sure how long he is going Prama, would have been nice to be invited and worst of all i found out off someone else.... Looking forward to going away it is much needed, its just a really really big effort trying to organise.

Jesstibb, DD3 started school this year and she did the baby talk on and off for a while, DD2 did it when she started too so i kind of knew it was fairly normal i think it is their way of coping with change, DD3 still does it sometimes when she is tired she is 5 end of June.

Summer has had a nice big sleep today i started cleaning out kids bedrooms then just gave up and bummed on the lounge and i have really enjoyed it, just have to finish with the mess i have made in their rooms. I hate sheet washing day, too many beds to make up and geez bunk beds are a nightmare!!!!!!

Well it's that time again School Pick Up!!!

Trina - im sorry, i hope i didnt come across as a sticky beak re DH's trip to Spain.. i didnt realise you heard it from someone else :hugs: sorry.
    Hope you go away somewhere lovely. you deserve it!!

jess - thanks hun. i went to see the nurse at the early childhood centre and she's asked me go see a councillor. so I will.
    Poopy is giving lots of smiles lately, some so big he crinkles his nose! ohh that baby turns me into jelly. i cant help kissing him all over! Sometimes I cant believe that beautiful baby is all mine!(and DH's of cos!)

Jesstibb - I am having one of those super frequent feeding days with DJ as well, it is quite warm today in Sydney so maybe that is why as well. Hoping that will mean a longer sleep tonight (one can only hope). He has just been so unsettled and won't get full sleeps, just hungry all of the time, I think next time I might just try cooled boiled water instead to see if that helps him.

SJ - the cooled boiled water - are you warming it up, or just giving it to Molly Jane cooled? sorry to hear you have been feeling sad sweetie, it can get like that, I go through spurts of that as well, but for me it is because I am just overtired. Your visit from your best friend would have sured cheered you up though

Trina - ahhhh I would love DJ to have a nice long sleep. I bet it would have been nice to get stuff done around the house. Our bedroom looks like a bomb hit it grrrrr

Prama - thanks for your PM I think I won't bother contacting LC, DJ is now breastfeeding without the nipple shield.

DJ hasn't stopped feeding today, really feeling like a daisy cow today milking him haha I just gave him a feed of 5 mins and that seemed to have settled him for sleep hopefully he can sleep for 3 hours to give me some rest time. Haven't had a chance to rest this afternoon. I did get some sleep this morning - badly needed it.

Well I better go do some expressing while the little monkey is finally asleep.

Shell xxx

Been out most of the morning/early afternoon with Jazz. Got her hand and feet casts done. Now just have to get a photo organised to go with the casts and then pick it all up in about 4 weeks. She was really good today. I took a bottle with me because I thought she might get a bit hungry while I was in the queue at the rego department...I was right!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast