Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #22

nickers - i feel like this today. how's the night shift round your way? i notice that when the boy wakes me up more than once a night i turn into a mess the next day.

i can't do squat today so... i'm not. he's lying on the floor with me in front of oprah. housework be buggered, i say.

Hey girls, we're back!!

Had a glorious holiday, the best break I've had for a long time, definitely since L was born! Lots of eating, lots of trips to the beach and lots of swims in the ocean - good for the soul!

I was so nervous after our horrid, horrid trip at xmas time but L was a dream while we were away. First night in his portacot was a little rough because he rolls around in his sleep a lot but the slippery mattress thingo wouldn't let him so he was getting frustrated! So the next day we put a blanket between the mattress and the top sheet and viola! he was back to normal again.

Poor DH didn't sleep very well cause he was in with DD - she doesn't like sleeping on her own at mum and dads which is fair enough I guess, but she's a fidgety sleeper and DH was getting woken up all the time!

Teething - don't think we've started yet he drools heaps and everything goes straight to his mouth, he'd chew your fingers off if you let him but that's pretty normal baby stuff, they explore everything with their mouths at this stage. I know with DD there was a sudden rough patch of night waking that lasted about 6 weeks, so we'll wait and see...

Won't do personals, too much to catch up on but glad everyone had a good easter!

Oh and can't remember who asked but yes, that's a Tots Bots cover in L's ticker photo. We've got it in orange too. Just sold some stuff on ebay so getting some new Green Kids this week - woo hoo!!

Hmmm...actually Trish, maybe I should use the cash to get my Ergo - how you finding yours? The baby bjorn's gotta go, that's for sure...

Nickers- i have days like that too. They tend to come and go. Sometimes it takes all my effort just to get my ass in the shower. like yesterday, didn't shower at all, sat in front of TV, ate choc bunny, watched bad TV. Definately co-incides with lack of sleep for me too.

So.... the delightful miss L has just discovered the art of screaming at bed time...... not in the morn, not in the arvo, just when i put her down for the night. I don't get it, why just the night time? Maybe she knows she is being deserted for 12 hours?

Can highly recommend those tommee tipee mesh bags for food time. I put things in it like, pear, a frozen cube of mashed sweet potato, brocolli, pumpkin etc. Gross i know, but she loves the cold on her gums and sucks the frozen brocolli until it's gone. Messy, but worth it.

Willow - I used my ergo today again.. walked around the shops for about 1.5 hours, and it didnt hurt my back at all... definitely worth it i say!

Tahlia has been having 40 min naps today... very frustrating.. she is rolling onto her tummy after 1 sleep cycle and crying and waking herself up.. I can't wait till she figures out how to roll back the other way!

Evening all!

Willow - Glad you had a great time away and L behaved himself! I love my Ergo! Go try one on and see what you think. I can wear K around the shops, etc. really comfortably and he looks up at me and smiles, so cute!

Kellie - K had 40 minute naps all weekend, I was tearing my hair out! I hope she sleeps better again for you soon. How are you going with the settling at bed time?

Ange - It's horrible when the scream like that . Joel went through a faze of screaming at bedtime when he was a bub too, it was really stressful.

Nic - You poor thing . You really do so much maybe your body is telling you to stop and rest for a while. I wonder how your iron levels are? When mine are low I feel a lot like you have described. Do you have any supplements? Maybe get your DH to cook you up a big steak! I hope you feel better soon.

Viv - Lying around watching Oprah sounds like bliss, housework will always be there when you are ready for it!

Anyhoo, better go. I started cooking dinner, but K refused to sleep so DH took over bless him!

LizzysMum Guest

Hi,

Nic - I know what you mean, when I am tired its like I am in a fog all day. Poor Eliza she suffers those days.

We also have MEGA drool and chewing of anything. Today at the park Amara got a leaf and started to eat it. I am wondering if the recent start up of whinging is also teething????

Yay for the Tots covers they are good huh? Not sure if you know it but if you are wanting to sell used nappy related stuff the best place is Buy For Baby, all the clothies check it regularly.

I just ordered a new Dream Eze AIO, the fitted are awesome, can't wait to try the AIO. My (I mean Amara's) Berry Bamboo Delight arrived today and it is divine! The colour is gorgeous and sooo soft, yummy. I also have 4 Itti Delish sewn in boosters on order - they are awesome. Miss Amara a.k.a. Gigantor is now in a Large Itti!!!!

Night All,

thanks girls.
    i did have a big steak tonight Trish! i think my iron is generally low so thats a possibility.
    multi vitamins might be a goer.
    staying up like this doesnt help but i just cant sleep before. i have to force myself to say its time to sleep. but then im not usually waking till 7.30 ish so even i dont go to bed till midnight its still 7.5hrs
    i think i drink too much coffee but im addicted to atleast 1 a day and dont think i could give it up lol!
    viv- both boys are good to me at night so when i eventually take myself to bed im getting sleep

i meant to say happy 6months Maddy, wow half a year already.......

Morning all

Happy 6 months to Maddi for yesterday. L turns 5 months tomorrow. Can't believe how quickly the time has passed (tho some days it has gone really slowly LOL).

Nic - hope you are feeling a bit better.
    Willow - glad you had a great holiday. I was also away for a week and had a great time. Funny tho being a mum I now realise it is true that a mum's work is never done even when on hols.
    Trish - gonna check out the Ergo. While away I used our carrier a lot. Now that L is getting bigger it is getting harder to carry him for long periods. Also seems that our carrier doesn't suit DH's body type so I end up carrying him all the time.
    Ange - got to get me one of those mesh bags. One of my MG groups was talking about it and really recommended them. L isn't on solids yet, but like the idea of perhaps getting him used to different flavours without all the mess. Also would be good once he starts teething. Frozen grapes in the bags seem to be popular for teething.

I'm having one of those days today. I think the excitement of being away has worn off and the realisation that I only have a month left at home before going back to work is hitting me. L has just gone down for a sleep so I will try and get myself together and be a happy mum by the time he wakes up. Sorry to sound so down. *gives self a shake*

On the up side tho I think I have worked out the secret to L sleeping thru. For the past 3 nights I have got him up at about 10pm and kept him up for at least an hour before feeding and putting him back. Last night he went down at just after 11pm and went thru 4.30am (but got him up at 5am). The night before it was about 11.15pm and thru to about 4am. I'm gonna keep doing it if it means no more 2am wakings.

BBL

Trish - I think the sleep school we went to made Tahlia go backwards, cause for about a week I couldnt even get her to sleep unless she was fed to sleep. But I'm now working on breaking that association again, I feed her till she is sleepy then unattach, and most of the time she drifts off, sometimes she wants more milk. Once we've got that right again, I'll work on putting her in her cot when she is sleepy.... its all so hard! Whoever said you cant spoil newborn babies was wrong! You can teach them some very bad habits by spoiling them! Having said that though, I still love cuddling her to sleep, she looks so beautiful when she is drifting off... I know that I have to get her out of that habit though... I'm sure I won't be rocking a 1 year old to sleep!

Nickers - I know what you mean about having trouble getting to sleep.. I am exactly the same.

Saffi - I know what you mean about going back to work. People are starting to ask me when I am going back, and I just dont want to think about it right now! I'm enjoying being at home too much. Glad to hear your figuring out how to get L to sleep through!

Tahlia was so unsettled all of yesterday, then it dawned on me, I've been eating way too many easter eggs, I've probably given her an upset tummy. Going to cut back big time on the chocolate consumption today!

Hmmmmm maybe i over indulged on the choccy eggs....high probability. Lu usually puts herself to sleep and has a good sleep. For the last 4 sleeps, she has screamed the house down. She was awake 3 times last night. Not at all like her and not really sure how to deal with it. Hope it is just a phase...... MIL arrives tomorrow, hoping baby will be back to sleeping again. If not all the well meaning tips i'll get may just tip me over the edge. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mo- where does the time go? They'll be one before we know it.

Trish- Lu is kinda comando crawling. She gets up on her knees and pushes herself along, or drags with her arms while pushing with her legs, so not your conventional crawl as yet, but she can go anywhere. I had to re-arrange the house to get things out of her reach after finding her chewing on a DVD cord. Why is it they only want to play with things they are not allowed to?

Hi everyone,
    Had a fantastic day yesterday. Ethan had a 2.5 hr sleep in the morning, again in the afternoon and then 40 min in the later afternoon. Then he slept all night!!! Yay, I think he is finally getting the idea. Will wait to count my chicks and see if he continues. Today not a good example as we always go out on wednesday mornings so he doesn't have the same sleep. Had a good 1.5 hr sleep when we got home. He woke up aftern 40 min, cried for a bit and then went back to sleep so I think he is realising that he doesn't need mummy after all. Being tough does pay off in the long run.

Just gave him some carrot. He likes it. Still not fully into solids yet as he isn't 6 months yet but giving him a taste every couple of days. Our gp doesn't encourage solids before 6 months but our nurse encourages it if the bub is ready. What to do?

Nic - sorry to hear you are feeling a bit down and unmotivated. Don't worry I think we all go through days like that from time to time. I certainly do. You should see our house. Messy as but am only just feeling like doing anything. I agree with the others, give some mv a go. I am a firm believer in doing something that will make you feel better. I like to go for a walk in the fresh air without bub. Anything to get you through the day. (I have suffered from depression for the last 3 years so I have had many days like you are describing). Smile and think of your gorgeous baby and forget the house work. Someone once said to me "what is more important, that your toilet is always clean or that your baby knows that you are there for him?". Anyway enough of my pep talk. Sending hugs your way!!!:hugs:

Anyway enough of my rambling. Have a great day everyone.

ange - i love those mesh feeders too. jimmy had a little squishy pear today. it's such a cute 'suck suck suck' sound. tee hee.

in other news - bah, another wakeful night. i blame teeth. the articles all say the same thing, they just want to be soothed. thing is, if it's been 2.5 hours or more between wakes, he thinks the portable milk bar is open. eep. at least the websites promise me that they do snap back to their old routine once the little fangs have erupted. poor kid.

off to nurse tomorrow. see what she thinks.

about the ergo - yeah, i want one. *sigh*

i also want that squishy thing that goes in the shopping trolley so they don't touch germy bars and get cold. (not like when i was a kid)

whoever was saying they couldn't get more than 45 m naps out the kid during the day - that has been james for about a month 3 or 4 45 minute naps. last day or two he's been pulling the odd 1.5 hour which has saved me from the brink of nutso land. ahhh... zzzzzzzzzz

so - here's hoping the little boy can not wake me up 4000 times tonight.

saffi - work. the necessary evil. i would love to go back to modelling, and was given a casting today but had so much anxiety from lack of sleep that i couldn't leave the house. how rad. i've been recommended 'rescue remedy' and quite frankly i'll try anything on these sleep-dep days. the agency has said i can drag 'the boy' to my castings because 'that's just how it is'... so as soon as i get my **** together, that's what i'll do. i miss working and my own money. does this mean formula full time for you or ebm takeout?

Viv - sorry you're having a carp time atm. Not looking forward to teething. Hope tonight is better for you and JJ. A wise person told me (ok it was DH) that you can't die from sleep deprivation. It just feels like it sometimes.

I hear Rescue Remedy is quite good. What kind of job was it? Maybe you and JJ can go in for a double act. I swear you could be one of those Mums with her bub on the cover of Mother and Child mag.

I think it will be formula all the way for us by May. Even with the meds I am only getting around 300ml. I express about twice a day and do a BF overnight but usually top up with formula if he is still hungry. By May we will also have started him on solids so milk won't be his only source of nourishment. Was considering hiring a hospital grade pump but figure for the month that I've got left its not worth it. Always said I would BF for 6 months so will limp across the line me thinks.

Question - who has upgraded their capsule for a car seat and which one did you get? Our hired capsule is due back end of next week so we'll be car seat hunting this weekend. L is about 7.5kgs atm. I know they recommend using the car seat from 8kgs, but its not worth holding onto the capsule for another month or so.

DH bought a book today by the Gymboree people on games to play with babies. Don't know about you all but I am seriously needing some inspiration.

Where has everyone gone? You were all chatty yesterday......

L woke up on his own so I am off to entertain him (and wear him out) before feeding and putting him back to bed. Fingers crossed that he next wakes up at 4am (or later).

Night all!

LizzysMum Guest

Quick one,

Re: car Seats. We have been out of the capsule for a couple of weeks. We bought a Safe and Sound something. Nothing fancy, they are all about as safe as each other in the S&S range just more padded and fancy IYKWIM. Of course it is still rear facing though. They reckon to keep them rear facing as long as they will stand it.

Eliza was only 8kg at age 1 year but we turned her around at about 10 months because she screamed the car in as she couldn't see a thing HA!!

We also bought Eliza a Maxi Rider - how cool are they!!! Cup holders and all LOL!

Night,

Happy 5 months to Lachlan.

We didn't end up getting the place at Carrum Downs, but we think we may have one further out.
    The one at CD didn't really have a back yard, But this new one has a big back yard so that's a bonus.

Ange, Leah, Willow Or Amber How do you get rid of the smell in your wet bags?
    Do you wash them? Air them out?

Sry for the lack of personnels just feel very blah lately.

Mo - I haven't used mine all that much but I wash mine after it's been used and is smelly. I just chuck it in with the nappies.

Carp night, BBL after I drop the girly at preschool and L and I have had a nap (thank god for preschool days...)

Must be the moon........ or perhaps just 5-6month old babies. we all seem to be having a ****ty time! Sleep deprivation is a cruel form of torture. Thank goodness for BB.

Mo- bummer about CD house, hope next one works out. Where is that one? I wash my wet bags with my nappies.

Car seat- i was thinking of turning ours around, it's a safe'n'sound something or other. But on reading your advice Leah i think i'll leave it as it. I'd like to be able to see her when driving....... ah well. wont be too long.

Off to pick up MIL............... mixed feelings, great to have a hand and she is sure to wash my floors and clean my cupboards, but she drives me nuts!

Morning everyone! I've been offline a fair bit because our wireless router died. DH is buying a new one today. I have to keep the laptop plugged directly into the modem in Joel's room so it makes it a bit hard to get on BB! Also I'm finding it hard to get anything done ATM. K is giving me a hard time, he woke up 7 times last night, 5 times the night before, etc... When he is awake he is cranky for most of the time which means I have to lug him everywhere so my hip and back are killing me. I'm taking him to the chiro later this morning so we'll see if anything is out. Otherwise I'm going to try get him into a paediatrician because I don't think his behaviour is normal. He constantly rubs his right ear too so I'm wondering if he has an infection. WHO KNOWS???

Willow - Sorry you had a bad night too . Hope you get a good rest while DD is at preschool. Joel's kinder is not on because of school holidays, I'd love to have a break!

Mo - Are you feeling off because of your health? You poor thing . Glad you have found somewhere more suitable to move too.

Leah - Joel has the Maxi Rider 1 without the cup holders, but I still love it!

Saffi - You deserve a big pat on the back for your perseverance with b'feeding! At least when you switch over to formula you know you gave L a really good start to life. Re: car seats, like Leah said, they really should stay rearward facing as long as possible. "They" recommend to leave them rearward facing up until 12 months if possible. Safe N Sound are by far the best car seats I have found and again like Leah said, they are all pretty much the same except for the extras and price.

Viv - Sorry you are suffering o'night too. Re: the Ergo, go try one on and see what you think, I find mine soooo much better than the Bjorn. I have a few in my store and I've been raving about them to everyone! I've heard Rescue Remedy is good too, it's worth a go.

Alz - Glad you had a great day yesterday!

Ange
    - Lu is so clever getting around! IKWYM about them playing only with things they're not meant to.

Kellie - How annoying about the sleep school making things go backwards. I borrowed "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" book from the library yesterday and it really speaks my language! It may be worth a read for you?

Nic - Hope you're feeling a bit better today. Put those feet up!

Well, I'd better go and have a shower while K is sleeping. DH is sweet and told me not to worry about housework, etc. today, just rest. Sounds like a great plan!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast