Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #12

hi everyone! read through posts 3 hours or so ago and have now forgotten what i've read. just wanted to share what i've been up to today. when i went to see chn at the northside community health centre the week before last, i had mentioned my settling dilemma. she had recommended this day clinic (?) they had called infant feeding support clinic. i said i was interested and she booked me to do this w/c is what i did today. it was SOOO good for me. for the first time ever, max went to sleep not in my arms!!! the chn (who is also rn and midwife) taught me the signs to catch for when max is sleepy already and we got the feed, play sleep routine going! it was one-on-one (or 2 since we've got max) and i was able to try it as soon as i got home and i got max to sleep on the pram and then again on the bouncer.
    hayley, one of the things she told me was how hunger and fatigue is a cycle and you have to break the cycle. the bub can't sleep when they're hungry and can't feed when they're tired. so, if she's unsettled, as everyone else has said, it could be that she's not full yet.
    i only wish i had been put onto this "clinic" sooner.

Fianne - that's wonderful that the clinic was so beneficial. It must make you feel great knowing that you can get her to have a sleep for you when not in your arms. Where abouts on the northside are you? I'm at Keperra.
    i've been making truffles tonight - one of them uses crushed up Werthers Toffee - crushed into fine crumbs. I can't wait to see how they taste. (i'm giving them as a present to our neighbours to apologise for being such a noisy household lol)

hi jazmum! went to the clinic in keperra!! actually live in the gap. maybe we can catch up for coffee one of these days eh?

and yes, it's been a treat. also nice to know that i've got this resource available to me. the chn/rn/midwife also told me before i left that if, after trying this for 7-10 days, i was still having problems, to feel free to go there and book to sit down with someone for an hour to discuss what's troubling me.

Noni - Wow steiner school isnt cheap is it? I would like private education too, but its so expensive! Oh my gosh poor Asha, cant believe she is getting teeth already!

Marydean - Dont think i'll bother this yr with cards! Too hard. I'm going with your theory about babies having an unsettled period during the day, I think 7-9 is Maddies. As long as she sleeps through, i'm happy.

Fianne - Wow that clinic sounds great! Must be such a relief to know you can put her down and she will fall asleep on her own. We are at that point with Maddie as well, except for between 7 & 9 she is soooo unsettled. I'll try her with extra formula, but I well and truly feed her up so dont understand how she could be hungry still? Also I dont want to be feeding her to sleep either iykwim.

Jazmum - The truffles sound great!

Quick question for you all - does anyone still rock/pat their bub to sleep? I've just been using the dummy with Maddie and 99% of the time she drifts off on her own. However I just cheated and patted her to sleep due to her being so unsettled and now I'm stressing!!! Dont want this to become a habit.

Hayley, we still rock & pat to sleep when necessary (ie not all the time, just when particularly unsettled). I'll have a couple of goes at shooshing her down to a dozy state and walk away, if that doesn't then it's rock and pat all the way! Sounds like Fianne might have some really useful tips for us all?

hey fianne - wow, we are close!! we will have to catch up one day
    Hayley - i do rock Hannah to sleep sometimes - especially if she is overtired and unsettled. Sometimes i think she just wants to be cuddled. I wouldn't worry about it becoming a habit. Life is too short, and they grow up too fast. Take the time to cuddle them as much as youcan

md - yeah they are great and through a bit of saving now and smart money planning later dp and i think we can scrape it in.. education is so important if we were going to sacrifice for anything it would have to be that
    haley - i still rock or pat ash when shes unsettled or during the day she sometimes gets rocked to sleep in her bouncer if shes grumpy.. its not often i just put her down and come back to put the dummy back in probably only one or 2 sleeps a day and they are usually over night... about the teeth thing i'm not really sure they seem to be coming up and going back down iykwim they arent breaking through yet just giving her lots of greif i can see in some places her gums are quite red and swollen and theres a lump there thats hard (the tooth i assume) poor little thing i have a feeling it will be months before anything actually comes through for her *sigh*
    fianne - thats great that the clinic was so helpful!!!
    jazmum - yum send some my way lol

I still feed or rock W to sleep every time. Maybe once every few days if he is tired I can put him in the cot with his mobile on and he drops off but most of the time I transfer him to bed after he has fallen asleep. At night when he wakes I feed him and he drops off again straight away.

It takes up a fair bit of the day rocking or comfort feeding him to sleep, but I figure that he is my job now so I don't mind (and he is very cute). I hadn't really thought about it, it is just what we have done since he was born. He won't go to sleep any other way, I just assumed (hope) he will grow out of it?

hey ladies! don't look at me for advice!!! i've only gotten past the "not having to carry and rock max for an hour" stage. it's such a big progress for me to have her sleep on the rocker without being carried but that meant that i had to rock her to sleep. carrying/rocking her to sleep was the only way i knew to put her to sleep and just kept my fingers crossed that it'll change soon but the time with chn today did cure me of that and has given me a chance to rest my back. the chn did say that i should then wean her off the rocking slowly so will be trying that too.
    AND this is the first day since she was born that i've had the least contact/cuddles with her and i'm already going through withdrawal symptoms. aarrrgghhh!!! and this is just because i'm learning to let her sleep on her own! can't imagine what i'll be like when she goes to school.

Fianne - i was the same when Hannah went to sleep in her cot without me cuddling her. I wanted her to wake up so i could give her a cuddle.

Aww Jazmum you are so right, what am I stressing about! Thanks to everyone else too.

Marydean, I wish it was Christmas keeping me busy. Today Lindsay woke up with a tummy bug again Poor little bugger has really copped it this year. So my day has not been fun, but luckily for him this time it is only coming out one and not both like last time. So I am feeling rather drained, what with everything else I have going on and not getting enough sleep and finally to cap it all off my Step father has found out he has bladder cancer - not that we are close, but he is the father of my youngest brother and he and mum have been together for a very long time now.

So I am sorry that I am not able to be supportive to anyone else who needs it ATM, I just can't get it together in my head enough to be able to offer help kwim?

sherie sounds like you could use one

sherie sending you big big :hugs:.......you've always been there for us so don't fret when you're the one who could do with the help. sorry can't be of much help myself tho.
    AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! max has been asleep since 6'ish and it's now 11:31...i should be rejoicing and catching up on my sleep but i can't!!! just got up out of bed since i've been tossing and turning for more than half an hour. *sigh

good morning ladies
    i'm sooo tired this morning - Hannah had a restless night.
    Sherie - i'm sorry to read about your step father. Not a nice time of year to be delivered bad news like that - not that any time of the year is though. I hope Lindsay gets better really quickly - and you have so many celebrations on this week too - I'm guessing you won't be able to attend them?
    hope you all have a great day.

hi jazmum! just a quick question, on your story about the flasher in a shopping centre carpark, it wouldn't be in one near us would it? just want to know so i can be aware when i'm next at that mall .

hi fianne- it was at brookside. I went into the Police Beat there and told them, apparently he'd done it to another lady the same afternoon but it didn't seem like there were any other incidents.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast