Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #22

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies

It's good to know that the leg thrashing thing is pretty normal. Sherie, Charli does it a lot from about 4am onwards too.

I'll just keep offering Charli a little food every now and then til she gets used to it. I'm glad it's not a big deal if she doesn't take to it straight away. It's hard because whenever we go visit my nan and aunties I always get an ear bashing about the fact that she's not on solids yet - you know, the "we used to feed babies solids from 3 months in my day and it didn't do them any harm" "she's probably hungry" yada yada ya.
    In reality she's clearly not hungry or malnourished. She's a little buddah! 9kgs and 69cm long and she's not even 6 months yet and she has 4-5 feeds of 200ml of karicare per day, which is obviously enough for her!

charli's mumma- i know exactly what you mean about the earbashing about solids. it does my head in!! everywhere i take lewis it seems someone knows better than me what he should be eating. my friend's mum even started giving him bits of her food on her finger. grrrr. they think that just because he looks at the food he must want to eat it- but he looks at the dog intensely too- does that mean he wants to eat her???

sorry about my little vent everyone, but it's just something that's been really getting to me lately. also, my PIL are coming down on 4 April which is just before lewis turns 6 months and i know my PITA MIL will be giving me a hard time and stressing me out about the feeding thing. she's always got something to critisize me about. i'm a little stressed about it all...

6 months today! Gosh its gone fast.

We're waiting to start on solids until after Easter - we're going up to Canberra and it just seems easier to wait a fortnight or so. Might give her a taste of some fruit or vegies if I cook something easy before then though.

Sorry, too tired for any personals today, will go and drag myself through the shower.

ETA - Gracie, I know what you mean, I had someone tell me I was mean last week because I didn't give her some scone with jam and cream. It's been easy up to now saying she's not on solids yet, but I worry about what other people will try and give her once we start.

Gracie, I'm hearing you loud and clear

Cally, you've got a good point. We're going to visit the inlaws in Perth soon and Charli will be 6.5 months by the time we get back. It would actually be soo much easier if I only had bottles to worry about on the 5 hour plane trip and while we are there etc. So i don't really mind that she's not really into the solids yet.

For sure if you're going away then don't worry about the solids yet - its just extra stuff you have to take with you. Plus they will be out of their usual day-to-day and might be less inclined to have them anyway.

Gracie, just tell your MIL you've tried them but they gave him a real upset tummy and made him feel poorly and your Dr told you to hold off for a while a wee porky I know but it might get her off your back.

It will always be a battle with other people trying to give them solids - even once they start you will still have people trying to give them food thats innapropriate for their age, like hot chips (not that I have anything against them when they are toddlers, but as babies I can't think of anything worse to feed them) or lollies. The thing that annoys me is that they wont be worse off for waiting, but the older generation (and even some of the younger ones) still have it in their heads that because what the guidelines were back when methuselah was a boy are still acceptable now. There are studies being done ATM to find links between early solids (before 6mths) and adult onset diabetes and apparently the results so far are showing some evidence of this (which is not meant to alarm anyone ). So we can't win, ever.

Happy 6 months old today Katie!

And welcome C'smumma Glad you made it to our thread, I hope you like it here! Re the solids, the first few months is more about getting them used to the taste and sensation of food, they don't really start eating 'properly' for a few months usually.

Well will be going out and about shortly, BBL to chat!

Thanks MD

hi everyone
    well the big news here is that I cut all my hair off today!!! it is about an inch or so below ears - have had it short before so i knew i would like it and this is so much easier for me to take care of (i hope and maybe less hair pulling from noah). DH has tomorrow and mon off, so we have a 4 day family weekend, yay so excited!
    Solids are going well here - he has been having peach for bfast all week and today i also stewed and pureed some plum which he will try soon - yummo!
    hey advice needed, he is rejecting the bottle at creche and when DH gives to him - this worries me a lot for when i go back to work in april - what teats are generally best for BF babies?
    Also i hope not but i may end up weaning down to 2 feeds per day - not sure yet... but if i do what formula is a good one to go onto?
    i cant believe all our bubbas are 6 months - it's N's half bday tomorrow!!!
    Welcome Charli mumma!! and hi to all!

Pregpan, is the EBM fresh or frozen...? Sometimes when it's been stored a while the enzymes in the milk change the flavour... if you taste it yourself (fresh vs frozen) you will understand what I'm saying. There was a thread about it just this week.. The other thing you can try is giving it to him in a sippy cup, some kids handle this better than bottle teats. I'm sure the ABA website will have some more suggestions. YAY for your extended family weekend!

Hi Pregpan! I had my hair cut shorter last week too and its great isn't it? You could try persevering with him until he gets the hang of it because it might be that he just likes the boobies too much to take a bottle. If that doesn't work and you have to start giving him formula, then from my experience the nan range and karicare is pretty good. As for the teats, dont use the avent ones - they were once rated by choice as being the most unlike a nipple, also they are really hard for them to draw back into their mouths, even though they are supposed to be the closest thing to it. So I would opt for the normal teats and bottles (the skinny ones).

Thanks ladies for your reassurance about Maddie being a 'slow developer'. Deep down I knew it was nothing to worry about and that she would get there in her own time, but just hearing it from a physio I thought oh gosh and got a bit worried. Sherie, DP has the same theory as you about the bigger babies taking longer to roll. It makes sense, Maddie is the chubbiest thing out, lifting her weight must be so hard for her!

Pregpan - Congrats on your new haircut!! Must be so much easier. Mine looks like a birds nest atm, its horrible.

Sherie - And here I was buying the avent bottles while I was pregnant, as their teats were the closet to the real thing, that would be right!! For easter we arent doing much, however I did notice the baby peter rabbit eggs in the target catalogue - quite cute. The problem with easter is I eat too much chocolate, and I dont need it!

Hi Charli'smumma - Maddie is just having tastes of solids too. She isnt that interested at the moment either and much prefers her milk too. They will get there eventually.

Cally - 6 months woo hoo!!!

Gracie - Thats terrible that people are trying to make you shove solid food down Lewis' mouth. I've heard the whole 'we had our babies on solids at 3 months' comments too, but they have new research these days and we are only wanting the best for our bubs by following the new information. Dont know why people cant understand that. Bummer about your mums group!

Arte - Will sounds like a strong little boy, he'll be well and truly on the move soon.

I just took Maddie to the docs today, as she has had a bad cough for the past few days that has become really chesty. She isnt feeding well either as she has a sore throat. DP was worried that she had a chest infection because her cough sounds terrible and phlemgy (spelling?) so I took her to the doc for a check, better to be safe than sorry. Anyway she is in the clear, just have to keep an eye on her, but this morning she was pretty upset because she had such a clogged up throat that her breathing sounded terrible.

RE Interest rate rises, they are becoming ridiculous now, I really hope they stop soon. I really feel for families that are having to sell their houses, & also what about young families that are renting and struggling to save for their own home?! Its such a vicious cycle.

Anyway thats her crying now so better go, hope you are all well!

Sherie, hope I managed to hide the surprise when I saw the odd looking baby lol. It was like the Mr Bean skit when he is in the pram with a bonnet on

Haley, the housing prices in general are crazy. To buy an average house here at the moment costs around double what you would pay in rent, plus the rates etc as well. I don't know how anyone gets into the market these days.

Pregpan, the shorter hair is a very tempting idea. I look bad with short hair though, as I found out when I let DH trim it one time. It is very disturbing to hear "oh no, oops, f***" when someone is cutting your hair. He spent so long trying to make it even it ended up waaay shorter than we had agreed on lol I am no help with the bottle thing as I doubt W would take one but he does drink water quite happily out of a sippy bottle, maybe that might be worth a try.

Will is slowly getting better at cruising. He got along the length of the couch to his toy box this afternoon but only wanted to play with the box, not the toys.

Is anyone still dreamfeeding? Reason I ask is because I still am at 9pm every night & Maddie sleeps through till 7.30, but I'm wondering whether I should try dropping that feed, its her 5th bottle of the day.

My poor darling is so sick, she is miserable. She keeps waking coughing and just being upset, I think her throat is really sore, so its going to be a rough night here.

So much to catch up on so I am sorry if I miss something.

Happy 6 months to all the bubbas. Can you beleive we will be planning 1st birthdays this year!

Pregpan I have been comp feeding Logan for about 2 months now. I use the Tomee Tippee closer to nature bottles and have no problem going from breast to bottle. He is on the S26 formula too, which he also has no probs with but I heard lots of babies get constipated on it. If your going to try formula I think it is really trial and error.

Hayley I hope Maddie is better soon. Did she sleep ok?

Charli'smumma welcome, where abouts on the Coast are you?

Noni I think we got logan the same Easter present as you got Asha, they were very cute.

Arte lol at the funny looking baby, there are some strange looking ones out there thats for sure (none in our group though).

Mothers group was fantastic yesterday, it was hillarious watching the babies roll over each other and pull each others hair and faces.

I have been meaning to ask you all, when your talking to people outside of BellyBelly about our little group how do you refer to us all? If I am talking to someone about some advice I got from one of you ladies I say "a friend from my online mums group". Was just wondering what everyone else says.

poor asha has the worst hiccups this morning lol poor thing..
    all these bubbas turning 6mths already Asha must be one of the younger bubs in this thread as she is not 6mths till the 26th.. no wonder sometimes i feel like she might be a little behind shes about 2wks behind alot of the bubs in here lol and 2wks is a big difference ive learnt lol...
    i am so over looking at houses and we have hardly looked at any!! i feel like turning off my phone incase my cousin rings about it lol i wont but u know how it is?
    katie - i usually say similar, online mums group or forum with mums of bubs around the same age i usually refer to it to dp as belly belly coz i know he knows what i mean though..
    haley - we arent dreamfeeding here anymore simply because she will sleep through the night if we dont anyway i actually found if i woke her up to feed her she wanted to feed again in 4 hours rather than just sleep through.. hope your lil darlings cold clears up asap too how awful!!
    arte - ashas doing well at getting around now too lol its pretty funny watching her inch along the floor!!
    pregpan - glad ur enjoying ur new haircut.. i always get upset and regret it when i cut my hair short lol so ive learnt not to do it (took a while though lol slow learner in some respects haha) with the formula we are on nestle nan gold, weve also tried karicare, and karicare ha - ar.. this is the one we get the least spew from and she seems the happiest i think it is trial and error though.. have u tried getting samples from the chemist pr supermarket? sometimes they have like little sachets with 1-2 feeds in them so u can try them out.. we us tommee tippee closer to nature bottles too but asha isnt breastfeeding...

Good morning everyone

Ozstar, I'm at Merrimac, where abouts on the coast are you?

Pregpan, Charli has been on formula almost from the beginning (major b/feeding probs - long story). We were on a bit of a formula merry-go-round for a while there to try and see which one was best for her reflux and colic problems. I started with Karicare and I ended up going back to it. We found it to be the one that agreed with her most. Her paediactric surgeon (who we used to have to see for her umbilical hernia) also told us that Karicare was probably the best - specially for bubs with sensative tummies. But all bubs are different so I guess it's a matter of trial and error. I had stocked up on Nuk bottles and teats because I'd heard that they were good, but that was a waste of money - I bought the Dr Browns ones instead and they are fabulous. They don't create a vacuum like normal bottles do so bubs never take in air and you don't have to pull the teat out to release bubbles. So in that respect it feels just like breastfeeding does for bub.

We are off for a mum and bub coffee date soon so I'll be back again later on. Miss Charli hasn't had done a poopoo since Wednesday so I bet she'll do a big one just as we arrive at the cafe

have a good day everyone.

Katie - I tend to say 'I know someone...'. But online mothers group is a good idea, I might borrow that!

Can't help with the bottle question, K won't take it at all. I've been giving her a sippy cup to play with and she's been drinking a bit of water from that.

Hayley - we were never successful in introducing the dreamfeed, but we still tend to feed twice overnight. The last few nights she hasn't gone more than 6 hours since her bedtime feed. Probably different being BF though. Hope M is feeling better

Shorter hair - it's tempting!! I've been trying to say no everytime she does it and pull her hand away, but I don't think the message is sinking in!

Re early solids - can you try saying something like, 'cars never used to have seatbelts and now we know how much safer it is with them', ie along the same lines as 'times change'.

I've still been wrapping DD for her daytime sleeps, but she's starting to escape from them - should I put her in a sleeping bag, or just nothing and put a sheet over her when she falls asleep? Also, do you think I'll need 2 sleeping bags over winter (the 2.5tog ones?)

MIL rang yesterday morning and offered to take K for a walk for an hour so I could get a sleep. I couldn't do it though, mainly because I'd just had a dream that she and SIL took her in their car, just holding her in the backseat - and they went on the highway!

Weekend tomorrow - can have a sleep in!!

Morning Girls,

Happy 6 months to all
    Charlismum- Hi and Welcome
    Ozstar- I just say my Friends from Belly Belly
    Pregpan- Congrats on the Hair Cut.
    Noni- Hope you find a house soon

Well I am off to Melbourne tomorrow then on thursday I am off on our family vacation Yipppeee. I can not believe easter has come again so quickly. Well at least this year I can have a few drinks.

Hello to everyone and have a great day

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast