Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #22

Just a quick one from me...

Marydean, it's always the way isn't it? I know it really confuses things for you, but even now you possibly have a solution to the care issue, you still have the issue of missing out on time spent with her. I guess this isn't helping alot either, but do you still think you'll miss that time with her even though she is only across the road? I hope you can still 'have your cake and eat it too' would make life so much less complicated

Renee, thats wonderful. I do the same with Alister only its mummummum and DH does daddaddad - ATM he is one up on me - The first two said dad first and Paige said mum. Hoping for another win I am

Leanne, its little things like that that drives it home they aren't little babies anymore.

Gracie, I would have been LIVID if my DH did that LOL.

Cally, hopefully your Sister wont need any intervention.

Hayley, I'm sure your friend will get used to the idea. but it may help if all the talk wasn't on the baby for now or else she may feel like her feelings about it are insignificant and its all about the baby and she's suddenly taken a backseat to herself kwim? I know its really great news for her and for all of you, her friends, but it sounds like she is finding it really hard adjusting to it all right now. You'll be a great support to her in the coming months.

MD, could you reduce the amount of units you are doing so they could fit nicely into a couple of baby free hours? Would you still feel like you were missing out?

Hayley, I agree with what Sherie said about all the talk being on the baby and her feeling insignificant. If she is anything like me she still has a good few months before she has to deal with it and everyone talking about the impending motherhood ruins good quality denial time.

Renee, forgot to congratulate you on the dadada (or maybe I was just jealous lol). I can't wait for a word.

I am going to a mothers group tomorrow. I am quite excited because it is getting boring at the house all the time. There is a toy library on tuesdays and there are swimming lessons starting soon so hopefully that will fill in my week.

If I sit on the floor with my hand on the couch Will can grab hold of my arm and pull himself up to standing.

Marydean - Whoaaaa, that sounds like its meant to be! Take it as a sign! Maybe you could do a 'trial run' with uni and having E accross the road. If it doesnt work out and you feel like your missing out you can always defer.

Oh *****, look at my ticker, Rory is 6 months old today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by reneenay; March 12th, 2008 at 01:29 PM.

Congrats Renee on Rory's Happy Six Months Old Today !

Well, I've had a think and a chat with a friend and do you know what? I think this is actually the Universe helping me get clear on what decision exactly I'm making here. I'm increasingly aware that it's less about whether I *can* study this year and more about whether I *want to* study this year. I'm wearing my Dunce hat because you would think this might have occurred to me several months ago (!) Sherie, like you said
    even now you possibly have a solution to the care issue, you still have the issue of missing out on time spent with her.
    And if I'm honest it's because I'm still really conflicted at a deep level about going back to work and the extent I'm prepared to trade that off for all the nice things that comes with having a second income (like not stressing about petrol and bread and milk). And if I'm not working for a couple of years, what impact does that have on my study plans/motivation? So basically the reason it's a big deal is because I'm pre-empting my own career crisis LOL!

Arte, I'm already doing the minimum load, which should run to about 10 hours a week. However, because I'm already behind (due to project work) I'm on the back foot, not helped by my agonisingly slow computer which goes slower and slower the more important the thing you're looking at! And my heart just isn't in it right now.

OK, enough of my long winded crisis now, I'm going to give myself until the weekend so that I'm really sure about what I'm doing before i put the paper work in.

Marydean - I really think that it is a perfect situation, being just across the road is so handy. How many days would E be in care? Its not like she'd be there FT and it would probably be good for her, interacting with other children. Also if you finished your study early one day could you just go grab her? I think its ideal, but definately think it through.

Arte - I would never have thought that you felt that way during pregnancy, the way you talk about Will shows how much your feelings have changed. I bet you anything my friend will be exactly the same. We work together and I got an email from one of the girls at work today saying that she is talking about it today and seems happy enough. I think its just been a real shock for her, seeing as they have been living the high life, going on big trips every yr to Vegas & Hawaii. She knows that having a bub is a dramatic change, I can totally understand how she feels but I'm glad to hear that she is actually talking about it today and not being sad.

Renee - Wow happy 6 months little Rory. Well not so little anymore. Wahhh our babies are growing way to fast!!!

Cally - OMG how exciting, forgot that your sis is pregnant. Not long to go now then is there. Hope she gets a smooth, intervention free birth however just as long as bub comes out safe and sound, thats all that matters.

Gracie - Yep my man is feeling sorry for himself today as well. Men!!

Sherie - Hope you win with the mum!

I took Maddie to this physio today, for her flat head, or so I thought. However the physio was testing her on tummy time, rolling etc etc. Well Maddie is almost 6 mths and no where near rolling imo (she came close a few times but that was awhile ago) and she is still not lifting her upper half up when she's on her tummy. She's a very placid baby. I havent been too worried, thinking she'd get there in her own time, but according to the physio 'she is behind developmentally'. Pfft whatever I walked out with the 'stuff you what do you know' attitude, but now its got me thinking and I'm a bit worried. Is anyone else's bubs behind with the rolling/tummy time stuff?

Haley, Will has only just mastered the tummy to back rolling in the last few weeks and I posted about a month ago worried that he wasn't propping himself up when on his tummy. He started doing that a few days after I posted but only does it half way with his arms bent at the elbow, not straight. I wouldn't think she is behind developmentally, if she is then I think Will would be too. He is a bit of a dud on his tummy lol. I think there are a couple of bubs that are still yet to roll or have just started and Maddie is one of the youngest in the group. Poo to the physio, she will get there in her own time.

haley - asha only started rolling back to front recently and only rolled from tummy to back a few times to get out of tummy time lol.. she is getting better now and has started kinda inching herself across the floor sometimes but she gets pretty upset and dosnt lift herself with straight arms either always bent... all bubs are different is she doing other stuff and just dosnt favour the floor stuff or is it a few things?

Hey everyone,

I am just quickly popping in to say hi. I have read all your posts but don't have time to respond (sorry). I am having mums group at my house tomorrow morning so I need to do a quick tidy up.

Happy 6 months to Miss E & Rory.

Chat to all you lovely mummas tomorrow.

hello ladies

katie- enjoy having mothers group at your place tomorrow. i had mine at my place last thurs but only 3 of them turned up i was a bit spewin cos i'd spent the whole day before cleaning the house...

hayley- i wouldn't worry too much about maddie's development. i'm sure md and sherie will know more about it, but don't all babies develop at diff rates? i don't know!? i just don't want you feeling down and out, cos you're doing such a great job and are such an awesome mum.

renee- congrats on rory saying dadda. that's so cool! i can't believe he's doing that already... what age do they actually start talking at? i have no idea about these things !

md- sounds like you've got a huge decision to make. can i just ask though...how did you not know the lady across the road does fdc?? doesn't she have heaps of cars there dropping off kids etc.?? i don't know if it is the perfect solution, cos you'll still be missing out on time with E. i don't know...it's a big decision isn't it? just know that you're not a quitter if you do decide to defer. don't feel guilty for not being a superwoman (you are a superwoman in our eyes, but you know what i mean) . there's nothing wrong with taking something off your plate when it gets too full.

dp is finally over his hangover...he hasn't got much work on at the moment though so we're a bit short on cash. it's very scarey only having one income these days hopefully it picks up soon, i think the raising of interest rates has really affected consumer confidence...

Haley, don't be alarmed hun! There's a very wide range of normal development, and if you questioned the physio more you'd probably find M is within that range. But it's her job to spot the very few cases where things might not be going as they should, because if a bub does have some sort of delay then the earlier they know about it the better. So it'll probably be something they keep an eye on, just to check that she is progressing, rather than something you need to worry about. The physio we saw said anything up to about 8 mths is "normal" for rolling.

Gracie, actually I thought she was probably a FDC mum (I asked the coordinator about her), she has a van for starters (!) but you know some ppl who have big families have lots of comings and goings at their house. Plus it's a main road, and our house is set higher and behind trees so the only time I really see over there is when we're sitting at the dining table or we're in the driveway. It reflects poorly on the neighbourhood that no-one's introduced themselves to each other!
    Last edited by AnyDream; March 12th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

Marydean, you should organise a street party get together, great way for you all to introduce yourself to one another and no one is under any pressure to 'host' if its just on someones front lawn.

Gracie, its very scary on one income sometimes, especially in our case where our income is entirely reliant on having rain. Doe he do contract work? I saw on the news last night that this would be the last of the rate rises (for a long while anyway) because people are finally starting to slow their spending down.

Hayley, I honestly wouldn't worry much about it. Its great that you do know though so you are better placed to watch her from now on kwim? But babies can be all over the place with their development. In my experience though I have found that some of the bigger babies do find it a bit harder as they need more skeletal strength to bare their weight kwim? Lindsay was this huge fat baby (I'm talking nearly 10kg at 6mths) and he was just over 7mths before he even looked like getting mobile - he could roll when he felt like it, but it wasn't like once he could do it he was rolling all over the place. A woman who went to the same playgroup I did had a baby girl 3wks older than Erin, but she was a lot heavier than Erin was and she didn't crawl until 10mths old - Erin was walking by then. I have no doubt at all she will get there when she is ready to.

Katie, I hope your mothers group meeting goes well today.

I can't believe that this is the month were all our little babies are going to be 6mths old!!!! By golly its gone quick. Before you know it we will be planning their first birthdays.

Just a question for everyone, what are you all doing for Easter? are you going to get the bubs the token chocolate for us to eat? For each of their first easters I have gotten them a toy or a teddy bear plus the obligatory chocolate (usually a mix of milk dark and white - I love the milk and dark and DH has the white). The kids asked me if Alister would get anything from the easter bunny ages ago and I said no, he'll be too young for chocolate, but I realised he'd be 6mths by then so I suppose I could let him have a little taste and then take a piccie for posterity. For the older kids we will make Easter baskets on the Saturday ready for the Easter bunny to leave the loot in on Sunday. This year I thought I might do an easter egg hunt too. DH is working nightshift over easter so it will be just the kids and I.

Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd pop in and say hi

For the last few months when Charli is asleep but stirring in bed she lifts both of her legs up towards the ceiling and thrashes them both down on the mattress quite hard. She does this repeatedly when she's stirring in her sleep. Does anyone elses bubs do anything like this?

Also as she's approaching 6 months we thought we might start trying some solids. She thinks it's a bit of a game though and does stuff like blow a big raspberry with a mouth full of apple custard. She's not too interrested in the solids - she just loves her milky. Does anyone have any tips as I've heard it's important to get them to start solids at 6 months.

Tamara

hello everyone
    well i didnt give asha her vegies last night just extra milk when she was hungry and guess what?? no waking up crying!! so her tummy might just be a lil overloaded so we are going to cut baclk again to just breaky and a chew of some fruit in that mesh bag thing at lunchish time (she cant get enough of that thing lol)
    tamara- all babies a different with the solids thing.. dnt stress as ppl have told me on here for the first 12mths babies main nutrition comes from breast milk or formula.. solids really especially at 6mths are just a sensation more than anything.. they are learning how to chew, swallow, what things feel like in their mouths, different tastes etc so i wouldnt worry if shes swallowing it or not at the moment it can take a while for them to start actually eating the food ur giving lol..
    sherie - i bought asha a peter rabbit egg cup that has a small egg in it.. i might let her taste the egg but deffinately not eat all of it lol its not that small!! but i thought it would be nice to have something to keep its ceramic and has peter rabbit on it.. only cost 4.50 at myer and i saw them in target too

md- tell you something funny about us..everytime we see a house in our street with lots of comings and goings we always think they're a drug dealer..prob says something bad about us !!!

sherie- yeah he's been doing a bit of contract work- also i'm seeing my friend on friday who works for the local real estate company and she said she'd try to put him as the first electrician for renters to call, so that should lead to some more work. i think it's just one of those times where people are putting off unnecessary jobs (like new garden lights etc.) but that's where he makes a lot of his money. oh well...hopefully there's no more interest rate rises. it must be very scarey for you having to depend on rain- so unpredictable for starters!

hi charli's mumma- lewis isn't too keen on solids yet either, so i'll be interested to see what tips the other ladies give you

Hi Tamara, glad you popped in to say hello. I tell you what, you could be describing Alister there - he does the exact same thing in bed and it's a wind issue. Usually he starts about 4am onwards and it makes a really loud noise when he bangs his legs on the matress. Once he does it a few times he lets out a mighty big fart LOL. He hadn't done it for a while but he's started doing it again this past week or so. With the solids, don't worry about it if she isn't taking to them with gusto - it can take some babies a while to get the hang of it and some just wont have a bar of it till they are good and ready to eat them. Either way, even once they reach 6mths, they dont have to start solids, its just the guideline age, so even if you wait longer you wont do her any harm because milk is still the most important part of her diet until 12mths anyway. Like Noni said, at this age it really is all about them learning about eating and honing their skills so to speak.

Noni, I'm glad that she had an easier night for you last night. I brought Paige a Peter Rabbit egg cup and egg from Myer for her first birthday. It came in this cute little tin with a music box on the side of it that played greensleeves i think it was. I wont get Alister an egg cup though as we litterally have nearly a dozen of them from everyone getting them for the older kids LOL.

Gracie, that is a bummer. I imagine that people just dn't have that little bit extra to do stuff like that, because it's not cheap to have lighting done thats for sure. Thats a great idea you have about seeing your RE friend too - fingers crossed he does get some work out of that.

Charli'smumma, my ds was doing the leg thrashing thing a while ago, I think they just do it because it is something they can do. We are also a bit unsuccessful with solids - he tastes it but doesn't really eat it. As Noni said, it doesn't matter at this age - all they really need is milk and the solids are just for practice.

Gracie, we went through a time a while ago when the courier guys (in unmarked cars) were delivering every day and we were worried that people would think we were the local dealers lol

Sherie, probably won't do anything with eggs for Will for easter. We are flying down to the south island to spend the long weekend with the in-laws. I hope they get me a big chocolate rabbit though...

Ozstar, how did mothers group go?

Cally, Happy 1/2 birthday to Katie

I just got back from my new mothers group. It is hard to be the new person, especially when most of them are on their 3rd or 4th kid and have been going for years. I am not very good meeting new people but I will keep going and hopefully it will get easier. Will kept using the play gym to pull himself up to standing. It was quite flimsy and I ran out of hands trying to keep him and the gym both upright.

I got a TENS machine last night on trademe (NZ's ebay) for $61. I was quite excited.

Out of the 6 babies at playgroup under a year, all of them are breast fed. Again I have to comment on how cute all our babies are. I poked my head into a pram parked next to me to say hello and my goodness it was the funniest looking baby I have ever seen!
    Last edited by Artechim; March 13th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

LOL Arte, how did you deal with the 'funny looking baby'? I know I've seen some babies that are less-than-cute shall I say and it's really hard to keep a poker face LOL. Thats great you're not alone with the BF at your group, will make it easier to fit in kwim? I think Will is going to be a bit of a daredevil whens he's bigger (much to your delight I'm sure )

gosh with my "inchworming"baby (lol she kinda inches along the floor now on her tummy)i am struggling even more to keep everything clean.. this space we have atm is tiny and i have noticed with her getting off the blanket so often now i really need to sweep and mop every day because everything goes in the mouth now too.. cant wait till we can move we didnt get that other house but i dont think it was one hundred percent right anyway we have our eye on another one now and are hoping to be able to apply soon.. just so i can have a place thats big enough to set up safely for her and easier to keep clean!!!
    arte - i have noticed too that our sept babies on here are all exceptionally good looking! idk lol must be perfect jeans!! i havnt seen many funny looking babies but sometimes i do see ones that arent as "picture perfect" and then i end up feeling bad for thinking that lol..
    sherie - oh now i feel ripped off i didnt get a nice little musical tin!! damn oh well lol.. i ment to say thanks too for mentioning that it might be the solids upsetting her because i really had no idea lol i thought teething or maybe flue lol but in the end it seems to have just been a plain old tummy ache, hope thats the case and it goes well tonight too
    gracie - dnt worry thats exactly what dp and i think when we see a house with lotsa cars coming and going.. but that does probably say something about us too lol

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast