Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasagne Recipes!

Default Lasagne Recipes!

OK ladies ..you got me all excited about your Lasagnes in the other thread ( your best recipes)....but now I am all inspired to do lasagne for my dinner party this weekend I need your recipes ...pweezzeee!.

(cooking for 8people)

ok my lasagne is a meat/bolognaise sauce without bechamel.

Cook up a big batch of bolognese sauce..I normaly do 2 kilos mince, 2 pasta sauce jars, tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley etc.

I buy the boxes of instant lasagne sheets and the cheap ones work better!

Get a big tray, put some sauce down first, then the sheets, then sauce, then shredded cheese (i use mozarella)

So sheets, sauce, cheese---sheets, sauce, cheese right to the top!

You will probably need to do 2 dishes.

Cover with foil and and put in the oven at 180 for 45 minutes. Then take off the foil and cook for another 15 minutes.

Remove the trays from the oven and put the foil back on, and leave it to rest on the bench for about 15 mins.

The resting is VITAL so it wont be all sloppy.

GL

ok here goes

ingredients

1x240grms lasagne sheets

meat sauce
    500grms mince
    2tbl oil
    1 onion finley chopped
    1medium carrot, grated
    1 stalk celery chopped ( leave this out)
    1-2 can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 110ml tomatoe paste
    2 cloves garlic

cheese sauce
    60gms butter or marg
    1/3 cup plain flour
    2 cups milk
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup grated chedder
    3 tbl parmesan

meat sauce
    1. cook onion, carrot and celery in hot oil in a large oan
    2. add meat and stir over heat to brown
    3. add tomatoes, paste, garlic and bring to the boil
    4. simmer uncovered until sauce has thickened and meat is well cooked
    5. sauce should be fairly thin

cheese sauce
    1. melt butter in a pan, add flour and mix until smooth
    2. cook for 1 min then gradually add milk and stir over heat until sauce thickens and boils for 1 min
    3. add nutmeg and grated cheeses, reserve ome for top. Stir until melted

to assemble
    grease a large flat ovenproof dish
    fill with alternate layers of meat sauce, lasagne, cheese sauce having 2-3 layers of each finish with a cheese sauce layer top with reserved cheese and uncovered in a mod oven for 45min or until brown

enjoy I would maybe double this for 8 people time may need adjusting
    Last edited by Rach75; March 28th, 2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: time for cookng

Oh yum!!

When ever i make lasagne i always make it to sloppy!!

seriously kim...let it sit on the bench for 15 mins and i promise it wont be sloppy!

the one on the back of the zaffarelli lasgane sheets box is pretty yummy - can't remember it exactly but has a bit of bacon in with tomatoes and mince and tom paste, herbs and sugar in the tomato sauce and then a plain bechamal sauce to go with it.
    It also has mozzarella cheese but I usually don't use that cause I don't have it on hand.

Amelia Guest

I do my normal bolonaise sauce but I only add the pasta sauce and not the crushed tomato's that way its not as sloppy. And I just do pasta bolonaise and cheese sauce....In that order till the pan is full.

Also another tip.......Put a layer of pasta sheets on the bottom of the dish that way that also helps it not to be sloppy.

My mum's friend is Italian, and this is the way she makes hers - really yummy.
    Meat sauce for 8 people maybe 700g of mince
    1 onion - finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic - crushed
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    4 tablespoons of tomato paste
    2 tins of tomato puree

In a large saucepan, fry the onion and garlic until soft, add the mince and brown, then add the sugar, tomato paste, puree and salt and pepper to taste. I also add one can of water and the let it simmer away, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Seems to make it a nice rich sauce then.
    White/cheese sauce:
    60g butter
    1/3 cup plain flour
    salt, pepper
    pinch nutmeg
    2 cups of milk
    125g cheddar cheese
    3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese.
    (if you like cheesy lasagne you could double the ingredients - if you find you have too much, you can add it to your left overs the next night
    Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, blend until smooth.
    Stir over heat 1 minute, gradually add milk, stir until sauce boils and thickens, reduce heat, cook 1 minute. remove from heat, stir in grated cheeses, stir until cheese melts.

using a large baking dish spoon a little of the meat sauce into the bottom of the dish.
    Place instant lasagne sheets on top - may need to trim so none overlap. Top with mince sauce, then cheese sauce and sprinkle some extra grated parmesan cheese over the top. Repeat this process 2 times finishing with the cheese sauce on top - sprinkled with more cheese.
    Bake in moderate oven for 40minutes or until top is golden.

Meat Sauce:
    1 large tin diced tomatoes
    1 clove garlic crushed
    1 handful fresh basil shredded
    500gm mince
    1 tsp salt
    pepper
    1/2 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp tomato paste

(basically... sometimes I add a dash of red wine if we have some open, and sometimes I throw in extra herbs if they are laying around. If I don't have a large tin of tomatoes sometimes I just add some jar of sauce...)

Cheese:

250 gm ricotta
    250gm frozen spinach thawed & drained
    1 cup grated cheese
    1 egg
    salt & pepper

I do alternate layers & then on the top I spread some pasta sauce from a jar & put a layer of mozzerella or just grated cheese on top.

Question Home made lasagne... anyone have any special secrets?

Ok, so I'm trying to do something REALLY nice for Shel, as she's been very patient with me while one the TWW and on the Clomid too, so I am going to make her favourite dinner, lasagne, from scratch.

Now, I have a pretty basic idea of how to do it - i make a killer white/cheese sauce, and have some lasagne sheets and mince and tomatoes and onion and garlic all that jazz.

Just wondering... do you have any lasagne secrets you might like to share?
    Maybe something like, anything special you put in the mince to make it extra yummy? Or how do you stop the lasagne sheets from staying hard? Thats the only downfall when i've made it in the past... the pasta is still rock hard, or chewy.

So everyone, spill those secret recipies for perfect lasagne!!!!!

I use the fresh lasagne sheets rather than the hard ones and they are always nice and soft. Maybe you could try precooking the lasagne sheets and they wouldn't be as hard.

Good luck - I'm making lasagne this afternoon!

Well- this is from a person who cooks rarely but takes tips from her DH!! He says you make the sauce a bit more watery than you would a spag bol for example because the sheets soak it all up as they are cooking and that way its nice and juicy too!! Everytime I havent made it kind of runny its been a bit dry!
    I also add hot salami to the sauce, some grated cheese in with the meat, and also some zuccini, carrot and capsicum!
    Hope she enjoys it hun!

I use the fresh sheets but my SIL is Italian (from Venezaula) and she dips the dry sheets in boiling water for a few seconds before cooking to soften them up.
    I always put a tea-spoon of strawberry or rasberry jam in my spag bol sauce - I don't know why but it makes it taste yummier.
    I also make my white sauce a little runny and put cheese in it for extra cheesieness.

if you buy the instant lasagne sheets (hard but precooked) they should go soft as long as every part of the pasta is covered byt the meat/sauce etc.
    Some hard sheets are precooked/instant, others require cooking or blanching before use - this may be why they have stayed hard in the past?

Cant help much more, I have only ever made a vegie version!

When making a ragu, always start with heaps of chopped veg, like zucchini, carrot, celery and onion. I will cook it till it colapses and caramelises. Then I'll take it out, cook the mince (always cook mince in a pan with a high edge so it breaks up with a stirring motion, unless you like chunky mince in which case cook it in a frypan. Then I add herbs, garlic and put the veg back in (I also drain all the fat away before adding veg, which is why I don't add meat to veg otherwise when draining you can loose some veg). Then I'll add tomato paste or passata, tomatoes (tinned roma chopped) and red wine. Cook for at least an hour continually adding water so it doesn't dry out. I normally do a big batch when making spag bog that way I can freeze half and make lasagne another night with the leftover. Also when choosing meats play around, you might like to do half veal half pork or half veal half italian sausage mince. A ragu always tastes great with even 1 or two sausages worth of italian sausage meat added to your basic beef mince. You can also add finely chopped pancetta or prociutto, but I often use it when layering my lasagne as the flavour is better. Don't forget to check for seasoning, which with ragu is salt pepper and sugar

Ok now for the white sauce, mine always tastes better by eye but I normally do equal parts or just a touch more flour than butter, then milk (added slowly and whisk like mad to avoid lumps) then salt & pepper and then at the end I use dried parmesan I find normal parmesan doesn't really break down as easily.

My favourite lasagne is one that i adapted from a Jamie recipe. I make up my ragu with half beef half italia sausage mince (and vegies as well), Using fresh pasta I do layers of fresh pasta, roast pumpkin, cooked proscuito or pancetta slices ragu, white sauce (I like to semi mix in the ragu to the white sauce it tastes better) and repeat Then after the last layer of pasta top with white sauce and lots of cheese. It can be done with dry pasta just cook it a little longer, I don't really time it but usually 35-60 mins @ 200C if it starts to burn turn it down, but I find with fresh it shouldn't take longer than 35 mins and with dry just cover it with foil for the first 30 mins then take it off and let it cook for another 30 with the foil off and you'll never have crunch pasta. OH and if cooking fresh make sure the ragu is thick, and if cooking dry make sure the ragu is slightly runny (not watery just not thick) so that the liquid will absorb into the past. And it depends how you like the top coating as to how much white sauce you put on. I like the top layer of pasta to be soft but the cheese to be crunchy so we put LOTS of white sauce on top so that it doesn't go dry and crunchy and then I add cheddar and parmesan, sometimes mozza just depends what I have. But if you like crunchy pasta on top then use less white sauce and more cheese.

HTH's
    Last edited by Rouge; May 23rd, 2009 at 11:31 PM.

Cailin, you should open a restaurant. If your food is half as yummy as it sounds you'd be on a winner.

LOL Chloe, I would hate to work in a kitchen... Its too stressful, angsty and bitter most of the time for me!

So instead I have a family restaurant, in which I cook for family and friends... and you wonder why guests always want to comes and stay here LOL! Probably 3 or 4 months out of a year we are guest free But in reality I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh and for those who don't like bacon'y things like Miss Sarah, you can get other animal procuitto from some specialty delicatessen's, one of my favourites is kangaroo but that might be a bit too scary for some of you

*hugs*
    Cailin

I agree, Cailin that sounds delish!!!!

Thanks everyone... Am printing this page as we speak!!!

rayray: I might just need your expertise soon though, my sis is vege (allergic to animal protein), and is coming to stay for a while, and I'd love to cook her something yummy too, she's been an angel to us lately!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast